GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:06   #126
Lampshade

I don't think I've ever in my entire life seen anyone try to defend the Japanese internment, but it doesn't surprise me one bit that the first time I do, its on GT.
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31   #127
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
I don't think I've ever in my entire life seen anyone try to defend the Japanese internment, but it doesn't surprise me one bit that the first time I do, its on GT.
Doesn't surprise me in the least. There's also people here who will defend slavery, and proclaim that it was "the best deal of the time" for slaves, and that black people today should be "thankful" that their ancestors were bought and sold and kept in chains.

This place is more amusing and entertaining than TV, nowadays.
Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40   #128
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
My bet is driving by any Japanese POW...internment camps, etc by US personnel or anyone, probably evokes greater emotions or should at least. Just saying.

The Okie Corral

http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW2/pow_camps_japan.htm
You just don't get the point. These were not POWs. These were US citizens most of them born here who were rounded up and imprisoned.

That didn't happen to American citizens with Italian or German ancestry.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43   #129
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
It's not my job to educate or inform you. But I do have a question for you. It's 1942 and you are in charge. There are espionage activities involving Japanese Citizens on the West Coast and we are worried about an invasion of the US. How would you handle it??
There was espionage by American citizens of German descent. I wonder why they weren't imprisoned.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53   #130
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Germans and Italians were interned as well. Why does my 6th grader know this and you do not?

Japanese were so peaceful and tolerant of others too. Poor guys just a minding their own business keeping to their Island and fishing into perpetuity!
German citizens and Italian citizens were locked up, but not US citizens of German or Italian descent.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07   #131
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
They were actually, look it up. For example. Is what it is, it was war time, a world war, we did what we thought was right. Sucks but those Japanese Americans were treated better than those the civilians under the Japanese. I'll use Wake Island for example. Just saying.

http://www.foitimes.com/internment/Myths.htm

This link is disingenuous. In support of its claim that Japanese-American citizens were not rounded up en masse, WWII documents with statistics about enemy nationals are shown.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19   #132
frizz

Quote:
No, it's because we were not threatened by an invasion on the East Coast.
We weren't threatened by an invasion on the west coast either.

For Japan to do this would have been a logistical impossibility.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32   #133
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
I will try to stop by gun show this weekend at the site of former internment camp in Puyallup WA.
Big deal!

A whole lot more Americans died in planned parenthood office you drive by then at that internment camp.
What does abortion have to do with this? You believe that abortion=murder. Fine. How does this wrong justify another wrong.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35   #134
ustate
NRA Member

There is a former Japanese camp here in Utah down in a city called Delta. When my dad was stationed at Ft. McClellan in Alabama the murals in the officer's club had been painted by WW2 prisoners of war, from what I was told after the war a lot of those German prisoners asked to stay in the US.

Last edited by ustate; 10-12-2012 at 09:36..
ustate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:32   #135
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
What does abortion have to do with this? You believe that abortion=murder. Fine. How does this wrong justify another wrong.
I made no such connection, you did.

People get all "creeped out" on the site where Americans were housed against their will decades ago but they go right pass sites where Americans are being killed daily and it does not bother them at all.

History is full of examples of great injustice and we are making our own history right now, which is not any more just or moral then before.

Last edited by Kozel; 10-12-2012 at 10:35..
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08   #136
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
I made no such connection, you did.

People get all "creeped out" on the site where Americans were housed against their will decades ago but they go right pass sites where Americans are being killed daily and it does not bother them at all.

History is full of examples of great injustice and we are making our own history right now, which is not any more just or moral then before.
All right; I will reply to your clarified statement.

Calling a embryo/fetus a human being is an opinion and not everyone shares it.

With the Japanese-American internment, there is no dispute that these were human, and there is no dispute that they were citizens, many of them born here.

It is annoying when people insist on shoehorning their pet political issues into any discussion. Some pro-choicers do it, and the same goes on with pretty much any political issue.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:14   #137
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
I was listening to a local radio talk show and one of the hosts was talking about he had never known about the existence of Japanese internment camps during WWII.

The other host said that there were a couple right here in AZ and one of them was in a town I drive through every day on my way to work in Phoenix, AZ.

I googled the camp and discovered that the Circle K gas station I filled up at this morning was where the camp once was...

There's nothing creepy about them. No one was executed or gassed there. The internees were held there in relatively civilized conditions out of an abundance of caution and released after the war ended. They later were apologized to and compensated.

During the war, every single japanese in the homeland were dedicated to hating and killing Americans. If Operation Olympic had commenced, 100% resistance was expected, why the a-bomb was used.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:35   #138
frizz

Quote:
The lack of History knowledge here on GT is shocking at times.
It is. You seem to think that rounding up natural-born US citizens of German or Italian descent was common.

You also think that an invasion of the west coast by the Japanese and/or Axis was possible. That was never even an aim of Japan.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42   #139
MAC702

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
...They later were apologized to and compensated....
40 YEARS later...

You left that part out...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46   #140
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
Never heard anyone defend the internment of Japanese in WWII? I've heard many defend it. Mostly WWII vets who fought in the Pacific. Do I think that it was wrong? Absolutely. Was it wrong based on the consensus of opinion and on commonly accepted moral values? Absolutely. Was it unconstitutional? Most likely. You should expand your circle of discussion if you've never in your life heard of such a thing. Really.

One of the greatest things about GT is that all opinions are represented. Everything is arguable. Everything.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
skorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50   #141
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Since I drive a Honda, can I feel less guilty than if I drove a Chevrolet?

It sucked, but it is what it is. I don't have time to feel guilty about it, slavery and the way Native Americans were treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 10-12-2012 at 12:20..
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51   #142
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
40 YEARS later...

You left that part out...

Yeah, I did, along with the government of Japan never having apologized for Pearl Harbor.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55   #143
frizz

Quote:
There's nothing creepy about them. No one was executed or gassed there. The internees were held there in relatively civilized conditions out of an abundance of caution and released after the war ended. They later were apologized to and compensated.

During the war, every single japanese in the homeland were dedicated to hating and killing Americans. If Operation Olympic had commenced, 100% resistance was expected, why the a-bomb was used.
Your reply displays a stunning lack of understanding of the basic facts, and your reasoning is beyond poor.

It doesn't matter that no one was killed or gassed there, or that the conditions were "relatively civilized," which is a dubious matter of opinion. The camp barracks were cramped, allowed for little privacy, and were not adequate for the weather.

The fact is, these US citizens, most of them born here, were arrested and deprived of liberty for years. They lost their businesses and property. How can you say that locking of an entire group of citizens based on their race was justified as "an abundance of caution?" It didn't happen to German-Americans or Italian-Americans.

Then you argue that they got an apology and compensation. Really? No, not really. Only the surviving prisoners got an apology half a century later, and the $20,000 along with it was a pittance for the lost property and the lost liberty.

You go on to mention the fanatical resistance which was expected if Japan had been invaded. That has no relevance at all at all to the subject, and cannot possibly be used as a justification for what was done to these US citizens. Why do you mention it?

The US invaded Italy and Germany, but again, German-Americans or Italian-Americans were not imprisoned as a matter of course.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00   #144
frizz

Quote:
Yeah, I did, along with the government of Japan never having apologized for Pearl Harbor.
Which, once again, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that US citizens were imprisoned for years when they had done nothing wrong. Their only "crime" was having parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents who were born in the "wrong" country.

Why do you continue mentioning irrelevant facts?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06   #145
John Rambo
Raven

Whens the Klan meeting, guys?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08   #146
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocktecher View Post
There WERE Jap agents on our west coast. And they wanted to conquer, and enslave, Americans.
What history books have you been reading?

The Japanese knew that they can't conquer America. They wanted America out of Far East Asia and Pacific Rim. They figured that Americans would sue for peace after a devastating first strike.

NOBODY, not the Japanese or the Germans, had plans to invade America. Attack America, yes. Invade and conquer, no.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:10   #147
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Which, once again, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that US citizens were imprisoned for years when they had done nothing wrong. Their only "crime" was having parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents who were born in the "wrong" country.

Why do you continue mentioning irrelevant facts?

Because all Japs are alike? It doesn't matter if some of them are 'Muricans?

Too bad these people don't feel the same way about the Germans and the Italians. I'd hate to play the "race card", but could it be that the Germans and Italians were white?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23   #148
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
NOBODY, not the Japanese or the Germans, had plans to invade America. Attack America, yes. Invade and conquer, no.
That is irrelevant. The real questions are:

1) Were they capable of invading America (probably - they were at least as advanced technologically as we were, and we could have done it)
2) Did we have reason to believe they would invade America if they could (considering they "started the fight" then I would say the answer is yes).

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32   #149
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
That is irrelevant. The real questions are:

1) Were they capable of invading America (probably - they were at least as advanced technologically as we were, and we could have done it)
No they could not have. They didn't even have the logistical tail to capture and hold Hawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
2) Did we have reason to believe they would invade America if they could (considering they "started the fight" then I would say the answer is yes).
Of course there was fear. But mainly it was sabotage and insurrection they were worried about.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:38   #150
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 View Post
No they could not have. They didn't even have the logistical tail to capture and hold Hawaii.
But did we know that at the time?

Perhaps I should have re-phrased the first question to "Did we believe they had the capability to invade America?"

People forget that you can't use information you discovered in 1945 to make decisions in 1941.

Quote:

Last edited by SC Tiger; 10-12-2012 at 12:39..