SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 20:54   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Demand for guns in trade

I just received my stamp and AOW yesterday so I'm pretty happy about that!

But tonight I was on CL sniffing around for everything from late 60's muscle cars to property and I was amazed at how many people want guns!!! Ammo was pretty popular as well...and this is on a site that specifically FORBIDS guns/ammo!

Kind of makes me glad I've been buying up guns/ammo for over a decade. Any reason to believe the demand would go down with ANY crisis/shtf?

I don't see it. Again, I'm just amazed at how many people are looking for guns in trade for pretty much everything!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:00   #2
Copper_Candy

It definitely depends on the situation. I think short term crisis events like earthquakes, floods and other natural disaster events will not significantly increase the demand for guns/ammo. Food/water/comfort items are the gold in these types of scenarios.
On the other hand, events like rampant looting, and long term SHTF will definitely increase the want for guns and ammunition. These are events that directly threaten the safety and security of you and your family, and can be "prevented" with firearms.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:05   #3
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Some of those CL folks are having problems getting guns thru the usual legal means.

"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27   #4
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper_Candy View Post
It definitely depends on the situation. I think short term crisis events like earthquakes, floods and other natural disaster events will not significantly increase the demand for guns/ammo. Food/water/comfort items are the gold in these types of scenarios.
On the other hand, events like rampant looting, and long term SHTF will definitely increase the want for guns and ammunition. These are events that directly threaten the safety and security of you and your family, and can be "prevented" with firearms.
I see what you're saying in regard to the time frame. Personally, even in the short term it is still comforting to know we are decently armed.

Plus sometimes in the shot term we don't know it is going to be short term.

But again, I'm just going on what I saw on CL...how many people were quite eager to get guns in trade for some VERY nice items.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30   #5
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Some of those CL folks are having problems getting guns thru the usual legal means.

That's part of it.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:11   #6
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
That's part of it.
Part or most?

Personally, I hadn't considered it. I was looking at the items owned with the property in the background and compared it against my experience of what felons typical possess.

But it certainly is a valid point. In any case, so long as it is a long gun, all I need is a bill of sale in PA for a private transfer. I always get a copy of the DL as well.

In regard to the demand for guns... I'm thinking demand is only going to go up in the next month and if Obama wins it'll shoot through the roof at least for the next few years.

-Emt1581
Old 10-12-2012, 20:20   #7
Easterbrook
Wagon Burner

I would trade my hotdog cart for a G26!
Easterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 20:54   #8
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterbrook View Post
I would trade my hotdog cart for a G26!
Throw in the recipe for that chili and we'll talk.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 00:35   #9
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I just received my stamp and AOW yesterday so I'm pretty happy about that!

But tonight I was on CL sniffing around for everything from late 60's muscle cars to property and I was amazed at how many people want guns!!! Ammo was pretty popular as well...and this is on a site that specifically FORBIDS guns/ammo!

Kind of makes me glad I've been buying up guns/ammo for over a decade. Any reason to believe the demand would go down with ANY crisis/shtf?

I don't see it. Again, I'm just amazed at how many people are looking for guns in trade for pretty much everything!

-Emt1581
Craigslist is full of stolen items, people looking for stolen items, and people looking for items they could not otherwise/legitimately acquire

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 16:14   #10
NecoDude

All the Facebook "For Sale/Trade/Want/Gimme" sites are the same way, people wanting guns in trade for their items as well. Don't think I would do that for a stranger.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:12   #11
ca survivor

the son of a friend, traded some POS Mustang 64-65 parts to a guy who gave him, Colt Trooper .357, Dan Wesson .357 both 6" barrels and two CF rifles and a
.22, to me a crazy deal but I'm not building a Mustang.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 20:12   #12
Tim Smith

In my job I see lots of people and talk to them and ammo and guns are HOT right know. I reload and have been able to use ammo as currency for about two years now. I have been getting "Can you load this for me?" a lot. This does not really make me happy.
Tim Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25   #13
BigFatDog

Never had a problem trading guns for gear or vice versa. Certain types of gear IME is more popular with the gun trading crowd.

Trading a gun I don't really want anymore to a "gun guy" for something that I do want, has always worked out as a great trade for the both of us.

I worry more about the folks looking to trade Precious Metals, Guns and Ammo, Land etc. This usually means that they are "Horse Traders" looking to get the most for their item and should be avoided.
BigFatDog is offline   Reply With Quote