Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 21:14   #361
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
So, what if the guy doesn't pay the fine? Who pays for his coverage then? Remember, there is no penalty for not paying the fine.
I've already explained it twice. You are looking at it from a micro-economic standpoint ... if you will. The tax penalty is the carrot/stick in the macro-economic sense to get you to get the guy to insure himself.

No penalty for not paying the IRS? What world do you live in? Stick with me: If a person can afford to buy insurance, but doesn't, that implies they have met the income/net worth threshold for it to be required. They will be afforded a tax penalty. If they don't said penalty to the IRS, their wages will be garnished and/or liens placed on assets. Just like if you don't pay any other taxes to the fed gov.

Last edited by douggmc; 10-11-2012 at 21:19..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:17   #362
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
1. Retiree Reserve Trust Fund (Section 111(d), p. 61)
2. Grant program for wellness programs to small employers (Section 112, p. 62)
3. Grant program for State health access programs (Section 114, p. 72)
4. Program of administrative simplification (Section 115, p. 76)
5. Health Benefits Advisory Committee (Section 223, p. 111)
6. Health Choices Administration (Section 241, p. 131)
7. Qualified Health Benefits Plan Ombudsman (Section 244, p. 138)
8. Health Insurance Exchange (Section 201, p. 155)
9. Program for technical assistance to employees of small businesses buying Exchange coverage (Section 305(h), p. 191)
10. Mechanism for insurance risk pooling to be established by Health Choices Commissioner (Section 306(b), p. 194)
11. Health Insurance Exchange Trust Fund (Section 307, p. 195)
12. State-based Health Insurance Exchanges (Section 308, p. 197)
13. Grant program for health insurance cooperatives (Section 310, p. 206)
14. “Public Health Insurance Option” (Section 321, p. 211)
15. Ombudsman for “Public Health Insurance Option” (Section 321(d), p. 213)
16. Account for receipts and disbursements for “Public Health Insurance Option” (Section 322(b), p. 215)
17. Telehealth Advisory Committee (Section 1191 (b), p. 589)
18. Demonstration program providing reimbursement for “culturally and linguistically appropriate services” (Section 1222, p. 617)
19. Demonstration program for shared decision making using patient decision aids (Section 1236, p. 648)
20. Accountable Care Organization pilot program under Medicare (Section 1301, p. 653)
21. Independent patient-centered medical home pilot program under Medicare (Section 1302, p. 672)
22. Community-based medical home pilot program under Medicare (Section 1302(d), p. 681)
23. Independence at home demonstration program (Section 1312, p. 718)
24. Center for Comparative Effectiveness Research (Section 1401(a), p. 734)
25. Comparative Effectiveness Research Commission (Section 1401(a), p. 738)
26. Patient ombudsman for comparative effectiveness research (Section 1401(a), p. 753)
.... yada yada ...
As I suspected. Quantify it. The only CORE (key word ... see my original post above that you say is "bull****"), MEANINGFUL impact is "the mandate" ... and the mandate is the only way Obamacare would work.

Last edited by douggmc; 10-11-2012 at 21:18..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:19   #363
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
Nonsense .. you are lying or tax illiterate. You didn't save 2500, you REDUCED YOUR TAXABLE INCOME by 2500. Big difference. My guess is you can't even quantify the actual amount in "tax savings".
I dunno. 2012 max HSA contribution is $6250. $2500 might be a little high but its close. Call it $2000. IIRC, fed takes about .30 of every dollar from us in income tax.

That's a tax increase.

Quote:
There is no tax increase. You will (and this isn't even carved in stone yet) lose further opportunity to decrease your taxable income by 2500 by shuffling that amount into the HSA. Two totally different things.
You even lie to yourself! That's a tax increase.

Right now that's $2000 that the government doesn't get from me. Now, they'll get it.

And by eliminating my high deductible plan, you increase my premiums and force me to pay for healthcare I don't need. You can call it whatever you want but that's a defacto tax increase.

Quote:
You CAN keep your health care plan. You probably will not be able to keep your HSA (in the manner you do today). Two different things.
Bull****. HSA works in tandem with high deductible plans. Gone.

You lie
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:19   #364
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
As I suspected. Quantify it. The only CORE (key word ... see my original post above that you say is "bull****"), MEANINGFUL impact is "the mandate" ... and the mandate is the only way Obamacare would work.
Mandate is another word for taxation.
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:20   #365
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
I've already explained it twice. You are looking at it from a micro-economic standpoint ... if you will. The tax penalty is the carrot/stick in the macro-economic sense to get you to get the guy to insure himself.

No penalty for not paying the IRS? What world do you live in? Stick with me: If a person can afford to buy insurance, but doesn't, that implies they have met the income/net worth threshold for it to be required. They will be afforded a tax penalty. If they don't said penalty to the IRS, their wages will be garnished and/or liens placed on assets. Just like if you don't pay any other taxes to the fed gov.
"They will be AFFORDED a tax penalty."



Afforded?
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:22   #366
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
I've already explained it twice. You are looking at it from a micro-economic standpoint ... if you will. The tax penalty is the carrot/stick in the macro-economic sense to get you to get the guy to insure himself.

No penalty for not paying the IRS? What world do you live in? Stick with me: If a person can afford to buy insurance, but doesn't, that implies they have met the income/net worth threshold for it to be required. They will be afforded a tax penalty. If they don't said penalty to the IRS, their wages will be garnished and/or liens placed on assets. Just like if you don't pay any other taxes to the fed gov.
So wait.........what about the people who don't meet that income threshold? They don't get penalized? They don't chip in? But they get the same health insurance I do?

WTF?
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:24   #367
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
Nonsense .. you are lying or tax illiterate. You didn't save 2500, you REDUCED YOUR TAXABLE INCOME by 2500. Big difference. My guess is you can't even quantify the actual amount in "tax savings".



There is no tax increase. You will (and this isn't even carved in stone yet) lose further opportunity to decrease your taxable income by 2500 by shuffling that amount into the HSA. Two totally different things.

You CAN keep your health care plan. You probably will not be able to keep your HSA (in the manner you do today). Two different things.
Have you told that to the Darden restaurant employees?
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:24   #368
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
As I suspected. Quantify it. The only CORE (key word ... see my original post above that you say is "bull****"), MEANINGFUL impact is "the mandate" ... and the mandate is the only way Obamacare would work.
Yeah, to continue the lie you have to gloss over this. Ignore it.

hey, is all of this free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon
1. Retiree Reserve Trust Fund (Section 111(d), p. 61)
2. Grant program for wellness programs to small employers (Section 112, p. 62)
3. Grant program for State health access programs (Section 114, p. 72)
4. Program of administrative simplification (Section 115, p. 76)
5. Health Benefits Advisory Committee (Section 223, p. 111)
6. Health Choices Administration (Section 241, p. 131)
7. Qualified Health Benefits Plan Ombudsman (Section 244, p. 138)
8. Health Insurance Exchange (Section 201, p. 155)
9. Program for technical assistance to employees of small businesses buying Exchange coverage (Section 305(h), p. 191)
10. Mechanism for insurance risk pooling to be established by Health Choices Commissioner (Section 306(b), p. 194)
11. Health Insurance Exchange Trust Fund (Section 307, p. 195)
12. State-based Health Insurance Exchanges (Section 308, p. 197)
13. Grant program for health insurance cooperatives (Section 310, p. 206)
14. “Public Health Insurance Option” (Section 321, p. 211)
15. Ombudsman for “Public Health Insurance Option” (Section 321(d), p. 213)
16. Account for receipts and disbursements for “Public Health Insurance Option” (Section 322(b), p. 215)
17. Telehealth Advisory Committee (Section 1191 (b), p. 589)
18. Demonstration program providing reimbursement for “culturally and linguistically appropriate services” (Section 1222, p. 617)
19. Demonstration program for shared decision making using patient decision aids (Section 1236, p. 648)
20. Accountable Care Organization pilot program under Medicare (Section 1301, p. 653)
21. Independent patient-centered medical home pilot program under Medicare (Section 1302, p. 672)
22. Community-based medical home pilot program under Medicare (Section 1302(d), p. 681)
23. Independence at home demonstration program (Section 1312, p. 718)
24. Center for Comparative Effectiveness Research (Section 1401(a), p. 734)
25. Comparative Effectiveness Research Commission (Section 1401(a), p. 738)
26. Patient ombudsman for comparative effectiveness research (Section 1401(a), p. 753)
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:27   #369
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
I've already explained it twice. You are looking at it from a micro-economic standpoint ... if you will. The tax penalty is the carrot/stick in the macro-economic sense to get you to get the guy to insure himself.

No penalty for not paying the IRS? What world do you live in? Stick with me: If a person can afford to buy insurance, but doesn't, that implies they have met the income/net worth threshold for it to be required. They will be afforded a tax penalty. If they don't said penalty to the IRS, their wages will be garnished and/or liens placed on assets. Just like if you don't pay any other taxes to the fed gov.
Dude, Roberts and the SC took away the collection mechanism for collecting the "tax penalty".
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:28   #370
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
As I suspected. Quantify it. The only CORE (key word ... see my original post above that you say is "bull****"), MEANINGFUL impact is "the mandate" ... and the mandate is the only way Obamacare would work.

So, you concede then that Obamacare is more than just the mandate as you claim?
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:30   #371
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post

hey, is all of this free?

According to Doug. Maybe they are going to pay for it out of Obama's stash. Hey Doug, how much money is in Obama's stash?
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:34   #372
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Dude, Roberts and the SC took away the collection mechanism for collecting the "tax penalty".
Nice catch.

hey doug - what about this? How are you going to pay for your socialism if you can't collect?
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:49   #373
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I dunno. 2012 max HSA contribution is $6250. $2500 might be a little high but its close. Call it $2000. IIRC, fed takes about .30 of every dollar from us in income tax.

That's a tax increase.
You know what ... I'll back track a bit and recognize you may very well be saving ~2000 a year with the HSA. I forgot your wife was a Dentist, so you make much more than the average househould. Making an assumption of 400,000 income ... all else being equal ... my tax calculator resulted in a delta of 2000 pretty much spot on (http://www.taxbrain.com/taxcenter/ta...alculator7.asp ... assumptions: 400,000 married filed jointly income, two non-adult kids, 100,000 wage withholding).
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:00   #374
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
You know what ... I'll back track a bit and recognize you may very well be saving ~2000 a year with the HSA. I forgot your wife was a Dentist, so you make much more than the average househould. Making an assumption of 400,000 income ... all else being equal ... my tax calculator resulted in a delta of 2000 pretty much spot on (http://www.taxbrain.com/taxcenter/ta...alculator7.asp ... assumptions: 400,000 married filed jointly income, two non-adult kids, 100,000 wage withholding).
You're off. We're a two income household. taxes are significantly higher than your calculator.

And you continue to ignore the savings associated with a high deductible plan.

My taxes are going up for Obamacare and my insurance premiums are going up.

But I'm getting no more healthcare for it.
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-11-2012 at 22:07..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:04   #375
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Dude, Roberts and the SC took away the collection mechanism for collecting the "tax penalty".
The ruling did no such thing.

If nothing else, since it is a penalty maybe they won't be able to apply a lien on your house or garnish wages (but don't but your house on it ... pun intended ... by playing chicken with the IRS), but they can still withhold any refund due in lieu of the penalty that year and/or in future years.

The IRS will collect ... at one point or another. You won't skate past it.

Last edited by douggmc; 10-11-2012 at 22:17..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:10   #376
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
You're off. We're a two income household. taxes are significantly higher than your calculator.

And you continue to ignore the savings associated with a high deductible plan.
I'm not off on something I never postulated on. I never assumed anything regarding one or two income household ... simply a married filed jointly 400,000 income. Obviously I don't know your exact specifics. All I did was make the comparisons the same, with the exception of the 6000 HSA contribution ... and I conceded it was about a 2000 tax savings for you.

I'm not ignoring it... i stated clearly ... you are an edge case. Deal with it ... Obamacare isn't for or against you individually, regardless of how important you think you are.

Last edited by douggmc; 10-11-2012 at 22:16..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:15   #377
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
So, you concede then that Obamacare is more than just the mandate as you claim?
No. As I already stated, at its CORE (key word ... original statement) it is the mandate. It is the central, critical component with which the entire piece of legislation pivots on. The remaining "stuff" is trivial and in support of the central goal of the act ... which is to improve health care for the citizens of our country.
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:18   #378
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Caught in the Middle
Posts: 41,673


Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
No. As I already stated, at its CORE (key word ... original statement) it is the mandate. It is the central, critical component with which the entire piece of legislation pivots on. The remaining "stuff" is trivial and in support of the central goal of the act ... which is to improve health care for the citizens of our country.
I'm a citizen. How does it improve my healthcare, doug?
__________________
I’m for law and order, the way that it should be. This song’s about the night they spent protecting you from me.” - Waylon Jennings
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:20   #379
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Nice catch.

hey doug - what about this? How are you going to pay for your socialism if you can't collect?
Not nice catch. It is nonsense. They will collect. The "socialism" will be paid for. When they do collect it can pay for or offset all those 80 or so little ancillary things ruble listed. How does that sound?
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:21   #380
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I'm a citizen. How does it improve my healthcare, doug?
See post #376, last statement for an answer to your typical vapid obtuse question. Are you sure you aren't blonde (or wearing a blonde wig)?

How does it improve the health care of the hundreds of thousands of people with pre-existing conditions that previously received sub-optimal, untimely, inefficient, poor, extremely costly healthcare ... for which they didn't pay?

Last edited by douggmc; 10-11-2012 at 22:25..
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 740
134 Members
606 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31