GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 19:49   #26
vikingsoftpaw
Senior Member
 
vikingsoftpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Willoughby, Ohio USA
Posts: 5,111
It has come full circle.

Because we interned the Japanese-Americans domestically, we are all now forced to have our junk felt up at airports. All due to the past collective guilt which keeps us from profiling those that would do us harm.
__________________
G - Guns, PG - Plenty of Guns, PG-13 - More than 13 Guns.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 19:52   #27
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
Sound like you need to quote the passages of the book that support your arguments


It's not my job to educate or inform you. But I do have a question for you. It's 1942 and you are in charge. There are espionage activities involving Japanese Citizens on the West Coast and we are worried about an invasion of the US. How would you handle it??
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:02   #28
raven11
Senior Member
 
raven11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
It's not my job to educate or inform you. But I do have a question for you. It's 1942 and you are in charge. There are espionage activities involving Japanese Citizens on the West Coast and we are worried about an invasion of the US. How would you handle it??
Hey , you implied the book supports your argument . So put up the facts. It's not my job to dig through a book because you can't find any support for your argument

On to your second question I would demand irrefutable proof of a conspiracy before I lockup every American based on the color of their skin

Because unlike you I didn't join the military to lock up Americans for no just cause
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by oISHUTupNrocKIo View Post
He's actually wrong, after 8-9 shots with a 9mm bullet, you actually get a text on your phone saying "You are being shot at by a 9mm, don't worry, just ignore him and walk away."
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:04   #29
bunk22
Senior Member
 
bunk22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,243
My bet is driving by any Japanese POW...internment camps, etc by US personnel or anyone, probably evokes greater emotions or should at least. Just saying.

The Okie Corral

http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW2/pow_camps_japan.htm
__________________
-Glock Gen 4 G17/G19; Gen 3 G17
-Sig P226 Navy/220 Elite/M11-A1D/1911 TACOPS/M400
-XDM 45/Walther PPX M1


Last edited by bunk22; 10-11-2012 at 20:06..
bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:06   #30
glocktecher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lawrenceville GA
Posts: 675
The worst part, to me, was the loss of personal property by decent Americans.

But please, don't be fools in the light of 71 years of hindsight.

There WERE Jap agents on our west coast. And they wanted to conquer, and enslave, Americans.

It is also sad, but many of the decent Americans would have been in danger by mobs angry about Pearl if they had stayed where they lived. I know it is not right, but I believe some bad things might have happened.

And I believe now, as some did then, IF YOU WANT TO BE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND ENJOY THE FREEDOMS OF OUR REPUBLIC THEN


SPEAK ENGLISH!
glocktecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:14   #31
Never Nervous
Senior Member
 
Never Nervous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Metro ATL
Posts: 2,226
You don't have to go back to WW2 to see internment camps. They are built and maintained right now in this country. If there is any national emergency or civil unrest like Katrina again, Americans will find out about them soon enough.

NN
__________________
____________________________________________
"Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell. Spiritually is for people who have already been there."
Never Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:17   #32
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
The nazis didn't have spy rings in the US?
The Italians didn't have spy rings in the US?

Didn't they have the same goals as thier Japanese counterparts?

Why didn't German/Italian Americans get treated the same way that Japanese Americans were. Germans/Italians looked like everyone else, Japanese looked different. Was it because of rampant discrimination at the time?
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:20   #33
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,102
What's the statute of limitations on my self loathing for past events? And since I'm white do I serve a longer term of self flagellation?

But, I'm only a 3rd generation American so can I get maybe a 50 or so years knocked off my sentence? Do I feel guilty for slavery even though my ancestors were not here at that time? Since my ancestors were Vikings and raped and pillaged for a little while do I need to geel guilty about that? Oh, it was raping and pillaging other white people so nevermind.

Can someone with expertise in professional indignation point out which events I should loath, how long I must prostrate myself for, and how much hand wringing I need to do to purge events from the past?

Signed,

confused evil not rich white homophobic middle class white racist white average racist white guy.
__________________
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 10-11-2012 at 20:27..
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:23   #34
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
The nazis didn't have spy rings in the US?
The Italians didn't have spy rings in the US?

Didn't they have the same goals as thier Japanese counterparts?

Why didn't German/Italian Americans get treated the same way that Japanese Americans were. Germans/Italians looked like everyone else, Japanese looked different. Was
it because of rampant discrimination at the time?
Germans and Italians were interned as well. Why does my 6th grader know this and you do not?

Japanese were so peaceful and tolerant of others too. Poor guys just a minding their own business keeping to their Island and fishing into perpetuity!
__________________
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 10-11-2012 at 20:26..
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:28   #35
Brucev
Senior Member
 
Brucev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Re: OP. The japs of the WWII era were a threat to America. It's that simple. All the clap trap whining won't change that. Those who were genuinely committed to this nation could not be told from those who fervently hoped for the success of the emperor and his army. FDR did exactly what needed to be done. Very happily he did it without a bunch of concern about what would the touchie feelie liberals think. Under the same circumstances, it would be exactly the right thing to do today.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:31   #36
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Germand and Italians were interned as well. Why does my 6th grader know this and you do not?
Yeah, German POWs, Italian POWs.

How about German-Americans? Italian-Americans? American citizens. Were they interned at the same numbers that Japanese-Americans were? Were they treated like the Japanese citizens in terms of loss of property? I'm talking American citizens. American Citizens.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:45   #37
427
 
427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KUMSC
Posts: 7,000
What is the most highly decorated infantry regiment in the US Army?

The 442nd Infantry Regiment.

It was made up of Japanese-Americans who volunteered and fought while their families were interned. 8 PUCs. 21 MOH's among all of the DSCs and other awards for valor. Says something, doesn't it?

I was wrong it was 8 PUCs and 21 MOHs.

Then there's the almost 9500 Purple Hearts.
__________________
Death twitches my ear. "Live," he says, "I am coming."
Virgil, Minor Poems

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 10-11-2012 at 20:53..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:49   #38
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS
 
Annoyedgrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 5,594
You know what? Lets just cut the bull#### and have a show of hands:

How many here think that the American government should be able to inter American citizens based solely on ethnicity?

The fact that I'm asking this on a gun board of all places, where everyone is usually always about personal freedoms and anti-governmental tyranny, is truly sad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
That's true. Because those with very high IQs are often found on the general BS section of gun forums, stating as much to those who will listen.
Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:51   #39
bunk22
Senior Member
 
bunk22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Yeah, German POWs, Italian POWs.

How about German-Americans? Italian-Americans? American citizens. Were they interned at the same numbers that Japanese-Americans were? Were they treated like the Japanese citizens in terms of loss of property? I'm talking American citizens. American Citizens.
They were actually, look it up. For example. Is what it is, it was war time, a world war, we did what we thought was right. Sucks but those Japanese Americans were treated better than those the civilians under the Japanese. I'll use Wake Island for example. Just saying.

http://www.foitimes.com/internment/Myths.htm

Somebody mentioned the 442nd, yeah what about blacks who served? Their treatment at the time was worse IMO, way worse and even then honorable men served to fight for their country. Amazing what men will do for their nation even when being wronged by that nation.
__________________
-Glock Gen 4 G17/G19; Gen 3 G17
-Sig P226 Navy/220 Elite/M11-A1D/1911 TACOPS/M400
-XDM 45/Walther PPX M1


Last edited by bunk22; 10-11-2012 at 20:58..
bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:58   #40
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedgrunt View Post
You know what? Lets just cut the bull#### and have a show of hands:

How many here think that the American government should be able to inter American citizens based solely on ethnicity?

The fact that I'm asking this on a gun board of all places, where everyone is usually always about personal freedoms and anti-governmental tyranny, is truly sad.
Asking a question like that is what sad. We're discussing events that happened 65 years ago. Nobody today would ever be sent away to camps like that. It simply would not happen. Some may want it to, but big effing deal. Lots of people out there want some weird ****, doesn't mean it's gonna come true.

Why are you so wound up about something that has already happened?
__________________
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 10-11-2012 at 20:59..
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:05   #41
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,058


Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
It's not my job to educate or inform you. But I do have a question for you. It's 1942 and you are in charge. There are espionage activities involving Japanese Citizens on the West Coast and we are worried about an invasion of the US. How would you handle it??
You arrest and jail the Japanese citizens and leave the American citizens alone. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:09   #42
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS
 
Annoyedgrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Asking a question like that is what sad. We're discussing events that happened 65 years ago. Nobody today would ever be sent away to camps like that. It simply would not happen. Some may want it to, but big effing deal. Lots of people out there want some weird ****, doesn't mean it's gonna come true.

Why are you so wound up about something that has already happened?
I wouldn't call it wound up; I just think there's something disconcerting about this whole "what mistake?" and "it was the right thing to do, by God!" sentiment in this thread, about locking up citizens based on ethnicity. That's wrong, I don't care how its justified, and is about as un-American as you can get.

We'd better hope it wouldn't happen again; I wouldn't put anything past the govt nowadays.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
That's true. Because those with very high IQs are often found on the general BS section of gun forums, stating as much to those who will listen.
Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:15   #43
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,058


Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
My bet is driving by any Japanese POW...internment camps, etc by US personnel or anyone, probably evokes greater emotions or should at least. Just saying.

The Okie Corral

http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW2/pow_camps_japan.htm
Something tells me the guy with the sword isn't an American from Sacramento. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:24   #44
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
On to your second question I would demand irrefutable proof of a conspiracy before I lockup every American based on the color of their skin

Because unlike you I didn't join the military to lock up Americans for no just cause
I joined the military ti lock up Amreicans???


There was plenty of 'cause' and at the time we were losing the war in the Pacific so there was not time for 'irrefutable' proof.

I did the research over 20 years ago for a stunning paper (my professor thought so anyway). The bibliography had several excellent references with Layton's reference being one of them.

Here is a shot I took at Manzanar camp looking up at Mt Whitney.

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 11-11-2012 at 10:29..
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:26   #45
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,007
Funny how the Liberal Leftist, Brie cheese eatin', wine sippin' bomb throwers want to judge 1941 Americans using their whiney Radical Left lunacy of 2012. Read how the Japanese treated foreign nationals captured in wartime. It makes the American Internment Camps look like Club Med. When the Japanese weren't busy shooting, beheading & raping them they starved and/or worked them to death.


In the words of one veteran.."they started it & we finished it." If you don't like it then tighten your girdle & move to France. Tough times call for tough measures, Buttercup.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:27   #46
raven11
Senior Member
 
raven11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I joined the military ti lock up Amreicans???


There was plenty of 'cause' and at the time we were losing the war in the Pacific so there was not time for 'irrefutable' proof.

I did the research over 20 years ago for a stunning paper (my professor thought so anyway). The bibliography had several excellent references with Layton's reference being one of them.

Here is a shot I took at Manzanar camp looking up at Mt Whitney.
So your argument is a college paper, that you wrote
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by oISHUTupNrocKIo View Post
He's actually wrong, after 8-9 shots with a 9mm bullet, you actually get a text on your phone saying "You are being shot at by a 9mm, don't worry, just ignore him and walk away."
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:29   #47
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,058


Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Germans and Italians were interned as well. Why does my 6th grader know this and you do not?
Because your 6th grader has an idiot for a teacher? HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:32   #48
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
So your argument is a college paper, that you wrote

No, it's the research I did.



And yes BTW- Germans and Italians were also included.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:35   #49
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Because your 6th grader has an idiot for a teacher? HH
Well the teacher is an idiot, as most are...I teach him from time to time as well and I know I'm an idiot. You can ask my wife. But, I digress....are you saying that his teacher is wrong in stating that German-Americans and Italian-Americans were locked up in internment camps during WWII?
__________________
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:37   #50
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member
 
FLIPPER 348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 21,781
The lack of History knowledge here on GT is shocking at times.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 797
238 Members
559 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42