Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 19:49   #26
vikingsoftpaw

It has come full circle.

Because we interned the Japanese-Americans domestically, we are all now forced to have our junk felt up at airports. All due to the past collective guilt which keeps us from profiling those that would do us harm.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 19:52   #27
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
Sound like you need to quote the passages of the book that support your arguments

It's not my job to educate or inform you. But I do have a question for you. It's 1942 and you are in charge. There are espionage activities involving Japanese Citizens on the West Coast and we are worried about an invasion of the US. How would you handle it??
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:02   #28
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
It's not my job to educate or inform you. But I do have a question for you. It's 1942 and you are in charge. There are espionage activities involving Japanese Citizens on the West Coast and we are worried about an invasion of the US. How would you handle it??
Hey , you implied the book supports your argument . So put up the facts. It's not my job to dig through a book because you can't find any support for your argument

On to your second question I would demand irrefutable proof of a conspiracy before I lockup every American based on the color of their skin

Because unlike you I didn't join the military to lock up Americans for no just cause
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:04   #29
bunk22

My bet is driving by any Japanese POW...internment camps, etc by US personnel or anyone, probably evokes greater emotions or should at least. Just saying.

The Okie Corral

http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW2/pow_camps_japan.htm

Last edited by bunk22; 10-11-2012 at 20:06..
bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:06   #30
glocktecher

The worst part, to me, was the loss of personal property by decent Americans.

But please, don't be fools in the light of 71 years of hindsight.

There WERE Jap agents on our west coast. And they wanted to conquer, and enslave, Americans.

It is also sad, but many of the decent Americans would have been in danger by mobs angry about Pearl if they had stayed where they lived. I know it is not right, but I believe some bad things might have happened.

And I believe now, as some did then, IF YOU WANT TO BE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND ENJOY THE FREEDOMS OF OUR REPUBLIC THEN

SPEAK ENGLISH!
glocktecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:14   #31
Never Nervous

You don't have to go back to WW2 to see internment camps. They are built and maintained right now in this country. If there is any national emergency or civil unrest like Katrina again, Americans will find out about them soon enough.

NN
Old 10-11-2012, 20:17   #32

The nazis didn't have spy rings in the US?
The Italians didn't have spy rings in the US?

Didn't they have the same goals as thier Japanese counterparts?

Why didn't German/Italian Americans get treated the same way that Japanese Americans were. Germans/Italians looked like everyone else, Japanese looked different. Was it because of rampant discrimination at the time?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:20   #33
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

What's the statute of limitations on my self loathing for past events? And since I'm white do I serve a longer term of self flagellation?

But, I'm only a 3rd generation American so can I get maybe a 50 or so years knocked off my sentence? Do I feel guilty for slavery even though my ancestors were not here at that time? Since my ancestors were Vikings and raped and pillaged for a little while do I need to geel guilty about that? Oh, it was raping and pillaging other white people so nevermind.

Can someone with expertise in professional indignation point out which events I should loath, how long I must prostrate myself for, and how much hand wringing I need to do to purge events from the past?

Signed,

confused evil not rich white homophobic middle class white racist white average racist white guy.
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 10-11-2012 at 20:27..
aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:23   #34
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
The nazis didn't have spy rings in the US?
The Italians didn't have spy rings in the US?

Didn't they have the same goals as thier Japanese counterparts?

Why didn't German/Italian Americans get treated the same way that Japanese Americans were. Germans/Italians looked like everyone else, Japanese looked different. Was
it because of rampant discrimination at the time?
Germans and Italians were interned as well. Why does my 6th grader know this and you do not?

Japanese were so peaceful and tolerant of others too. Poor guys just a minding their own business keeping to their Island and fishing into perpetuity!
But the rest of you, especially the rest of you under 30, wake up. The day is approaching where the media will redefine what is right or meaningful, redefine you as meaningless...And you'll believe it.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 10-11-2012 at 20:26..
Old 10-11-2012, 20:28   #35
Brucev

Re: OP. The japs of the WWII era were a threat to America. It's that simple. All the clap trap whining won't change that. Those who were genuinely committed to this nation could not be told from those who fervently hoped for the success of the emperor and his army. FDR did exactly what needed to be done. Very happily he did it without a bunch of concern about what would the touchie feelie liberals think. Under the same circumstances, it would be exactly the right thing to do today.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Germand and Italians were interned as well. Why does my 6th grader know this and you do not?
Yeah, German POWs, Italian POWs.

How about German-Americans? Italian-Americans? American citizens. Were they interned at the same numbers that Japanese-Americans were? Were they treated like the Japanese citizens in terms of loss of property? I'm talking American citizens. American Citizens.

Old 10-11-2012, 20:45   #37

What is the most highly decorated infantry regiment in the US Army?

The 442nd Infantry Regiment.

It was made up of Japanese-Americans who volunteered and fought while their families were interned. 8 PUCs. 21 MOH's among all of the DSCs and other awards for valor. Says something, doesn't it?

I was wrong it was 8 PUCs and 21 MOHs.

Then there's the almost 9500 Purple Hearts.

Last edited by 427; 10-11-2012 at 20:53..
Old 10-11-2012, 20:49   #38
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS

You know what? Lets just cut the bull#### and have a show of hands:

How many here think that the American government should be able to inter American citizens based solely on ethnicity?

The fact that I'm asking this on a gun board of all places, where everyone is usually always about personal freedoms and anti-governmental tyranny, is truly sad.
Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:51   #39
bunk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Yeah, German POWs, Italian POWs.

How about German-Americans? Italian-Americans? American citizens. Were they interned at the same numbers that Japanese-Americans were? Were they treated like the Japanese citizens in terms of loss of property? I'm talking American citizens. American Citizens.
They were actually, look it up. For example. Is what it is, it was war time, a world war, we did what we thought was right. Sucks but those Japanese Americans were treated better than those the civilians under the Japanese. I'll use Wake Island for example. Just saying.

http://www.foitimes.com/internment/Myths.htm

Somebody mentioned the 442nd, yeah what about blacks who served? Their treatment at the time was worse IMO, way worse and even then honorable men served to fight for their country. Amazing what men will do for their nation even when being wronged by that nation.

Last edited by bunk22; 10-11-2012 at 20:58..
bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:58   #40
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedgrunt View Post
You know what? Lets just cut the bull#### and have a show of hands:

How many here think that the American government should be able to inter American citizens based solely on ethnicity?

The fact that I'm asking this on a gun board of all places, where everyone is usually always about personal freedoms and anti-governmental tyranny, is truly sad.
Asking a question like that is what sad. We're discussing events that happened 65 years ago. Nobody today would ever be sent away to camps like that. It simply would not happen. Some may want it to, but big effing deal. Lots of people out there want some weird ****, doesn't mean it's gonna come true.

Why are you so wound up about something that has already happened?

Last edited by aplcr0331; 10-11-2012 at 20:59..
Old 10-11-2012, 21:05   #41
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
You arrest and jail the Japanese citizens and leave the American citizens alone. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:09   #42
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS

Quote:
Asking a question like that is what sad. We're discussing events that happened 65 years ago. Nobody today would ever be sent away to camps like that. It simply would not happen. Some may want it to, but big effing deal. Lots of people out there want some weird ****, doesn't mean it's gonna come true.

Why are you so wound up about something that has already happened?
I wouldn't call it wound up; I just think there's something disconcerting about this whole "what mistake?" and "it was the right thing to do, by God!" sentiment in this thread, about locking up citizens based on ethnicity. That's wrong, I don't care how its justified, and is about as un-American as you can get.

We'd better hope it wouldn't happen again; I wouldn't put anything past the govt nowadays.
Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:15   #43
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
My bet is driving by any Japanese POW...internment camps, etc by US personnel or anyone, probably evokes greater emotions or should at least. Just saying.

The Okie Corral

http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW2/pow_camps_japan.htm
Something tells me the guy with the sword isn't an American from Sacramento. HH

Old 10-11-2012, 21:24   #44
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
On to your second question I would demand irrefutable proof of a conspiracy before I lockup every American based on the color of their skin

Because unlike you I didn't join the military to lock up Americans for no just cause
I joined the military ti lock up Amreicans???

There was plenty of 'cause' and at the time we were losing the war in the Pacific so there was not time for 'irrefutable' proof.

I did the research over 20 years ago for a stunning paper (my professor thought so anyway). The bibliography had several excellent references with Layton's reference being one of them.

Here is a shot I took at Manzanar camp looking up at Mt Whitney.

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 11-11-2012 at 10:29..
Old 10-11-2012, 21:26   #45
Tiro Fijo

Funny how the Liberal Leftist, Brie cheese eatin', wine sippin' bomb throwers want to judge 1941 Americans using their whiney Radical Left lunacy of 2012. Read how the Japanese treated foreign nationals captured in wartime. It makes the American Internment Camps look like Club Med. When the Japanese weren't busy shooting, beheading & raping them they starved and/or worked them to death.

In the words of one veteran.."they started it & we finished it." If you don't like it then tighten your girdle & move to France. Tough times call for tough measures, Buttercup.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:27   #46
raven11

Quote:
I joined the military ti lock up Amreicans???

There was plenty of 'cause' and at the time we were losing the war in the Pacific so there was not time for 'irrefutable' proof.

I did the research over 20 years ago for a stunning paper (my professor thought so anyway). The bibliography had several excellent references with Layton's reference being one of them.

Here is a shot I took at Manzanar camp looking up at Mt Whitney.
So your argument is a college paper, that you wrote
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:29   #47
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Germans and Italians were interned as well. Why does my 6th grader know this and you do not?
Because your 6th grader has an idiot for a teacher? HH

Old 10-11-2012, 21:32   #48
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
So your argument is a college paper, that you wrote

No, it's the research I did.

And yes BTW- Germans and Italians were also included.
Old 10-11-2012, 21:35   #49
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Because your 6th grader has an idiot for a teacher? HH
Well the teacher is an idiot, as most are...I teach him from time to time as well and I know I'm an idiot. You can ask my wife. But, I digress....are you saying that his teacher is wrong in stating that German-Americans and Italian-Americans were locked up in internment camps during WWII?
Old 10-11-2012, 21:37   #50
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

The lack of History knowledge here on GT is shocking at times.