Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:42   #1
rockapede

Baby steps, baby steps and how I decided to stop being a fatty

So, I'm 26 and have been married for five years, been a cop for going on 3. When I got married, I was 6'2/210 with very little body fat and could eat anything I wanted without much/any structured exercise. That changed when I hit 22 or so. As many of you know, I work for a small municipal department with a sworn strength of about 25 guys. My department has absolutely no PT program or standards and we've got a couple of guys over 300 and one probably pushing 325 or so. For the last several years, I've been telling (fooling, really....) myself that while I wasn't as fit as I once was, I was at least maintaining my weight and therefore didn't really need to worry about it. I'm also a caffeine "addict" (recovering at this point) who hates coffee, meaning I put away a ton of Coca Cola.

Fast forward to a August, when I step on the scale at work and see 260 flash before my eyes. I couldn't believe it and was floored that I'd gotten that bad. I cut out all soda immediately and dropped 15 pounds in two months without changing anything else at all. This week I've started actually working out in earnest and while I struggle to finish a 10:00 mile and three sets of ten on the common body weight exercises, I can already feel some improvement. Goal weight is wedding weight. Like I said, baby steps.

I know there've got to be other guys on here who've been in my shoes. Anyone got any tips/tricks/exercises? I know cardio and core exercises are important for LE, but whatchu got?

And no, regardless of the content of this thread, my avatar is NOT me. I'm nowhere near that awesome.

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 10-11-2012 at 12:43..
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50   #2
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

It starts with food. 95% of what you eat and drink has the impact with your weight. Only 5% of physical activities could help to lose your weight.

Go for paleo/primal lifestyle and do the crossfit. I am sure you'll be 185 lbs. in a year, if you keep doing the primal/paleo and do crossfit.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53   #3
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
It starts with food. 95% of what you eat and drink has the impact with your weight. Only 5% of physical activities could help to lose your weight.

Go for paleo/primal lifestyle and do the crossfit. I am sure you'll be 185 lbs. in a year, if you keep doing the primal/paleo and do crossfit.
I can believe this for sure just because of my experience cutting out soda. My Google-fu is weak, what is primal/paleo?

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 10-11-2012 at 12:54..
Old 10-11-2012, 13:42   #4
m2hmghb

Quote:

Not everyone needs primal/paleo style diets. One just has to watch what they eat and eat proper proportions.

Good job on losing the weight, keep up the good work!

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:58   #5
Sharkey

Well I ain't fat but I'm pushing 43 and stay pretty fit so I'll offer what has worked for me.

My diet is not great. I eat the burgers, pizza, meskin food, and drink 1 coke a day. The flip side is I work out on a regular basis and have done so since 16. I believe that has helped my metabolism. I think you are on the right track with cutting the sodas and I would also watch your sugar and fat intake.

I know crossfit is real popular but I really don't see it as being what an overweight person should start with. I see more a potential to injury.

I would concentrate on cardio stuff initially with some pilates or other stretching regimen and add in some simple muscle building exercises. After that I would look into some high intensity interval training exercises. Once you are at your desired weight you can reward yourself with eating some of the things you cut out, just don't over do it.

Good luck. My wife at 22 lost 40lbs. by walking and eating better. We both are now core building fanatics. I stopped doing heavy weight training when I started having back pain and haven't looked back and I am in better shape because of it.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:05   #6
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
I can believe this for sure just because of my experience cutting out soda. My Google-fu is weak, what is primal/paleo?
Based on your OP and I knew your insulin is really dangerous high. Your high insulin level is the major drive of your weight gain. As you said you have cut back with the soda and you have seen the big result from it. Sugar has no nutrient benefit for your body and it has high # of calories in it. The sugar and carbs drive your insulin level to sky and then you get sick pretty often and feel so cranky, so you had to get coke, mountain drew, coffee with milk and sugar, or chocolates to get you through the day. It keeps spinning downward to the day that you felt you had enough of it. That is where you are right now. I was there and I know it very personally.

Carbs such as wheat, peanuts, white flour, grains, rice; sugar, honey, maple, stevia, anything that taste sweet; and crazy chemicals in the food ingredients cause your insulin to go skyrocket.

You could notice that in every grocery, the foods that sits in the middle section of the store is usually last very long without going bad. It is because of HFCS, grains, and loaded with chemicals which your body couldn’t address it pretty well. The business and Gov’t are making lots of money from those foods and it cause people to obesity and go to see doctor more often. It spins to out of control as the state we are currently at. Why don’t you try to pick up a food product that you really love to eat then look at the ingredients list; I am sure you will find HFCS on 2nd to 4th part of the ingredient list in the order. They put it in the order as to display how much it is contained in the food. The first item is the highest amount that is contained in the food, so on. Grain and HFCS is the America’s silent killer.

I could understand that you need to grab some food pretty quick because you are working as a cop. I could assume that you often went to Subway, Quizosub, McDonalds, Taco Bells, KFC, whatever. I could also assume that you have often brought foods that are found in the middle section of a grocery. You could say, “It is cheap. It last long without going bad and it tastes very good.” Well that is true and that food is killing you. Those foods you found in the middle sections are usually “the foods without a brake”; it means you couldn’t stop eating those foods until you have eaten it all. For example with potato chips or Oreo cookie, I am sure many people said to themselves, “I’ll eat ¼ of it and save it for later.” What happened is that they ate it all without realizing that they ate it all or they were too hungry and can’t help it. So they had to buy more junk foods to feed their stomach. The problem is that your stomach knows that those foods aren’t good for you and it need something more nutrient dense such as veggie, fruits, and real meats.

You could lose your weight even faster if you only buy foods that are fresh and raw. I had to recommend you to buy foods that are in the far right side of a grocery, they usually have veggie/fruits, meats, and egg. If you happen to be hungry then try eat some of veggies, meats, and some foods with very high saturated fat foods such as bacons, avocado, eggs, coconut milk/water, fishes, etc and it will satisfy your stomach pretty fast. It isn’t that hard and it is way cheaper if you do the Primal/Paleo lifestyle.

I would recommend you to try this for a week to see if it makes you feel better and more energized.

Breakfast:

3 strips of bacons (make sure it doesn’t have HFCS and too much sugar in it).
1 sweet onion (if you are that really hungry)
3 large eggs

Bulletproof Coffee:
Brew Coffee and mix it with unsalted butter in blender machine. Add cinnamon if it isn’t comfortable for you.

Cook the bacons, take bacons out and leave the grease in the pan, cook it with sweet onion till it is tender then add eggs into it.

Lunch:
1 Green Pepper Bell
1 Red Pepper Bell
1 Avocado
6 to 12 oz Tenderloin Pork chops (whatever it suits you)
Or Italian Sausage (you’ll be thristy cuz it is a high sodium food).

Cook tenderloin pork chops, after you are done with the pork then place it on a plate and chop veggies into pieces and eat.

Dinner:

Any kinds of meat and whatever how much it is
1 handful size of veggies
½ handful of fruits

No sauces with HFCS; sugar is over 10 mg per TBS; and crazy chemicals. Try aviod any kind of dairy and that includes milks, creamers, creams, cheese, etc.

Web info:

For a quick overview of Paleo/Primal could be found on this website: http://www.realfooduniversity.com/paleoprimal-eating-plan-improves-health/ and infograph http://primaldocs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/PaleolithicDietExplained-800.original.jpeg

Recipes:
http://www.againstallgrain.com/
http://nomnompaleo.com/
http://paleomg.com/
http://fastpaleo.com/
http://www.civilizedcavemancooking.com/

Last edited by Glock30Eric; 10-11-2012 at 14:07..
Old 10-11-2012, 14:10   #7
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Not everyone needs primal/paleo style diets. One just has to watch what they eat and eat proper proportions.
You are almost right but no cigar.

Those people are more likely to go back or be more heavier than they have started. It is because of sugar, carb, and the high insulin level that drives them to eat more junk foods.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:15   #8
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

No matter what you do you just have to make sure you stick with it.
Old 10-11-2012, 15:35   #9
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
Start working to cut out sugar. Eat plain fat free yogurt, low sugar granola/oatmeal, fresh fruits and healthy toast in the mornings. The taste takes some getting used to. Same rules for lunch and dinner, low sugar, low sodium, low 'fillers' filled foods. WATER ONLY. For energy I use crystal light's energy adders (taste like barf) or green coffee bean extracts.
Old 10-11-2012, 15:39   #10
Vigilant

(Singing)

FATTYFATTYFATTY!

FATTYFATTYFATTY!

I finally had enough, and bought a really nice used Schwinn recumbent exercise bike to start. As soon as time permits, I will start going to a dietician. I tore up both rotator cuffs, and had one repaired, so heavy weight lifting is probably a thing of the past. I will probably get back to 40 pounds on a short barbell with a lot of reps, and push-ups at the knees. I myself have put this off entirely too long. I am diabetic as well, and that adds to the sense of urgency.
Old 10-11-2012, 15:51   #11
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailNinja View Post
Start working to cut out sugar. Eat plain fat free yogurt, low sugar granola/oatmeal, fresh fruits and healthy toast in the mornings. The taste takes some getting used to. Same rules for lunch and dinner, low sugar, low sodium, low 'fillers' filled foods. WATER ONLY. For energy I use crystal light's energy adders (taste like barf) or green coffee bean extracts.
Fat free foods will drive you to eat more.

Just eat fatty food and it will satisfy you really quick

Just watch Fat Head movie for your benefit.

Last edited by Glock30Eric; 10-11-2012 at 15:52..
Old 10-11-2012, 15:54   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Gave up the (diet) soda completely in maybe 2004 or 2005 because of the caffeine. Lost twenty pounds in two months. Didn't have a drop for probably three years and now enjoy it very sparingly (and usually caffeine free). It's amazing what impact a change like that can have.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 17:00   #13
Vigilant

With very few exceptions, all I drink is pure water and black coffee.
Old 10-11-2012, 17:11   #14
rockapede

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm fortunate that I'm young and have suffered no major injuries that would prevent me from a particular workout. I've been drinking nothing but water and a very occasional glass of skim milk since cutting out the soda. I've cut out fast food for the last few weeks as well, although that was mostly for budgetary reasons. I'll stick to that, as I like to cook and can make time to most of the time.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-11-2012, 17:14   #15
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
No matter what you do you just have to make sure you stick with it.
True enough. I've got an 18 month old daughter and a son on the way. I'm sticking to it, as I plan to be around for a while .

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-11-2012, 17:17   #16
rockapede

Quote:
Based on your OP......
Awesome info and more than I could have asked for. Thanks!

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-11-2012, 17:25   #17
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Crossfit is absolutely the way (along with diet) to get you where you want/need to be. Even the lame Crossfit gyms (there are some) will be beneficial. Nothing Crossfit is doing is rocket science but fitness is handed to you on a silver platter if you put in the work.

You can diet and lose all the weight you want but without strength you are just a skinny weak person.

Also you will realize that a goal weight is stupid since with quality training, you will probably not lose as much as you expect.

I am 44, 5'10, 190# I Crossfit and I would gladly take on anyone in my department in a test of overall fitness.

MF
Old 10-11-2012, 17:33   #18
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendog Redux View Post
Crossfit is absolutely the way (along with diet) to get you where you want/need to be. Even the lame Crossfit gyms (there are some) will be beneficial. Nothing Crossfit is doing is rocket science but fitness is handed to you on a silver platter if you put in the work.

You can diet and lose all the weight you want but without strength you are just a skinny weak person.

Also you will realize that a goal weight is stupid since with quality training, you will probably not lose as much as you expect.

I am 44, 5'10, 190# I Crossfit and I would gladly take on anyone in my department in a test of overall fitness.

MF
Nothing in my area that I'm aware of. Is it possible to do Crossfit on your own like P90x or do you have to go to a Crossfit gym?

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-11-2012, 17:40   #19
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
Nothing in my area that I'm aware of. Is it possible to do Crossfit on your own like P90x or do you have to go to a Crossfit gym?
The genesis of Crossfit was people doing it on their own with a small amount of gear. There are still gazillions of people who Crossfit in their garage, park etc. In fact I am not a member of a Crossfit gym anymore. I work out in a friend's garage but we do Crossfit stuff.

Frankly I have made better gains since I left the local Crossfit gym. That is not to say the local gym is not good, I just wanted different stuff that the owner was programming.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:44   #20
steveksux
Massive Member

If you're way out of shape, you may have to do some training to get to the fitness level to do the kind of training you want to do.

On the other hand, you're only 26, so you're probably not in as bad shape as you think.

You should start with general core exercises, moderate weightlifting, and a variety of cardio. Look up periodization on the internet, you want to vary your workouts, build the intensity and duration over time, make sure you have rest days.

Exercise is stress, it damages your body and makes you weaker. REST between exercise is where your body repairs the damage, and makes it a little stronger to be able to handle that workload better next time. Work out too much, not enough rest, you end up losing ground, getting injured, or both. Not enough stress/exercise, and you don't do enough damage to your body to trigger it to rebuild stronger. Alternate a hard workout with an easier one, make sure you take at least 1 day off a week to rest.

As far as dieting goes, eat lots of small meals throughout the day. Drink lots of water. Eat healthy stuff, cut out the pop, the candy, the junk.

Do NOT start out with high intensity explosive/pliometric movements if you haven't worked out lately. Start with moderate weights, and get a month or two in at least before you start lifting really heavy. After you've built up your strength, you can start thinking about pliometric stuff.

Similar setup for cardio. You want to build up your base fitness before you can crank up the intensity/duration. After a couple months you can start to crank it up, doing interval training.

Periodization is the key to keep progressing and avoiding plateaus. A constant workout can be gotten used to. Changing it up a lot keeps your body challenged.

Rest is your friend. Cool down after workouts. Warm up good. Stretch when warmed up.

Keep it up, try for a routine and a diet that you can maintain over the long haul. People diet, lose the weight, can't wait to get off the diet and back to their old food habits, and gain the weight back. You want to stay healthy, long term, you need a healthy diet that you can stay on, not a short term thing that drives you to go right back to your old habits when you've reached your goal weight.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote