Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 19:56   #21
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apetrulis01 View Post
I also wanted to go with can food because I was reading that can food can go far beyond the expiration date on the can as long as the can is not swollen and it smells fine. Can someone confirm or deny this. Thanks.

Adam
Generally true. Thanks to the lawyers everything has to have an expiration date lol. From what I understand they will eventually loose some taste and what not but will still be good to eat.
Old 10-10-2012, 20:00   #22
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Canned chicken, tuna, salmon, mackerel. Chipped beef, jerky, spam. These are your meat based proteins and fats. Don't add salt when mixing with your rice or beans for lower salt content, but salt is necessary for many reasons. If you have high blood pressure store the meds you need.

Edit to add: rotate stock.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 10-11-2012 at 15:24..
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:35   #23
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
variety is the spice of life.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:38   #24
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post

Even a can of spaghettios is only 150 calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I find the chefboyardee stuffed italian sausage ravioli make a good meal in a can. Buck a pop this time of the year, a lot tastier now than they were when i was a kid, contains some meat and starch, the sauce flavor is not bad at all, can be eaten cold in a pinch. Easy to stack and inventory. A pleasant look-forward-to, not just for kids either!

The Chef-boy-ar-dee stuff is quite a bit higher in calories, too. A quick check of the pantry reveals 220 to 260 calories per can (Spaghetti w/Meatballs is the highest of the selections I have on-hand right now, at 260).

I've eaten it cold, but if the sun is out, I usually just wrap the can in a piece of an old black cotton t-shirt and leave it in the sun for a while. I warm my lunch at work the same way, just wrap in black cotton rag and leave it on my vehicle dashboard (in a clear plastic shoebox-size tub, in case the easy-open can pops/leaks, but I've never had it happen). A couple of hours later (depending on temperature and sky clarity), it's somewhere between warm-enough and too-hot-to-hold-the-can-barehanded.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 10-11-2012 at 01:39..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:35   #25
Tom Kanik

Just walk up and down the aisles of a grocery store for ideas. I like to keep tuna, Spam, chicken, ham, turkey, beef chunks in gravy, breakfast pork patties, roast beef hash as well as corned beef hash, LaChoy Chinese meals, along with extra cans of Chinese vegetables, tamales in sauce, chili, ready to eat soups like Progresso and Campbell's Chunky brands, condensed soups, and Dinty Moore beef stew. There is also things like chicken and dumplings or chicken breasts in cans. Trio brand of instant mashed potatoes just require hot water, throw in some gravy mix and a can of vegetables for a pretty decent meal, with various canned fruits for dessert. That's not counting my Mountain House and other freeze-dried food. Just make sure you have PLENTY of water, then get more! And definitely keep vitamins on hand!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52   #26
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apetrulis01 View Post
I also wanted to go with can food because I was reading that can food can go far beyond the expiration date on the can as long as the can is not swollen and it smells fine. Can someone confirm or deny this. Thanks.

Adam
I have eaten both commercially and home canned items that where DECADES old. I did not die.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:38   #27
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

I started with tuna, chicken, and soups because we eat these. I bought on sale and have hundreds of cans of each, more than I can rotate.

I moved on to rice, beans, oats and wheat in 5 and 6 gallon pails which is cheaper and last a long time.

The last thing I did was move to freeze dried and dehydrated meat and veggies that last for many years.

I plan on eating this stuff in the next year or two depending on how the election goes...

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:01   #28
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I disagree on rotation, especially if money isn't unlimited. Most canned stuff isn't going to go 10-20 years safely or keep its taste. No sense letting it go to waste. Plus if you like it during good times you will LOVE it during bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbandit View Post
Generally true. Thanks to the lawyers everything has to have an expiration date lol. From what I understand they will eventually loose some taste and what not but will still be good to eat.
They have recovered canned foods from sunken WWII subs/boats which at over 60 years old the food stuffs tested negative for any sort of harmful bacteria...

Now...how it might taste is another story

Like Smith, my wife and I recently ate some canned pears from 97 or 98...they were canned with cinnamon and honestly were delicious.

Last edited by pugman; 10-13-2012 at 22:03..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:06   #29
superhornet

If you are determined that the SHTF is coming, my advice is to stock up now. The price of most basic food stuffs have increased in price the last few months...And will continue to rise dramatically in 2013. I stock up at the Dollar General for can goods, veggies, fruit, soup, beans, meat, etc. Much cheaper in my area than Walmart, Winn Dixie or Publics.
superhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 20:50   #30
gosnmic
Re:member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
variety is the spice of life.
Speaking of spices - I like to keep plenty on hand!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
... canned tomato sauce
Versatile stuff - can be added to lots of items to help thicken and flavor dishes from spaghetti/pasta to stews/jambalaya to pizza sauce (given the right spices - see above)! I like to pick up the smaller cans when on sale - found ~8oz is about perfect size for a pizza while ~15oz is a good starter base for 1lb of spaghetti (still have a home-made sauce in the fridge as we speak!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kanik View Post
Just walk up and down the aisles of a grocery store for ideas. I like to keep tuna, Spam, chicken, ham, turkey, beef chunks in gravy, breakfast pork patties, roast beef hash as well as corned beef hash, LaChoy Chinese meals, along with extra cans of Chinese vegetables, tamales in sauce, chili, ready to eat soups like Progresso and Campbell's Chunky brands, condensed soups, and Dinty Moore beef stew. ...
Lots of good ideas in these replies! I have 'lots' of tuna 'cause I like the stuff! I also have a variety of "cream of" soups as they can be good "add ons" for dishes. Say you want some tuna but don't have mayo for a traditional tuna salad ... (if you think it's dry on its own) grab one of those "add on" cans, some spices, and if you're adventurous, add some rice, etc. and now you've got protein, carbs, and fat all in one meal.

Another good source for low-maintenance food might be peanut butter and/or raw nuts. They're generally calorie dense and can store (and you can eat them without any required preparation).

OH - Just to put some numbers to calories, I noted a while back that a can of green beans over 5 pounds in weight contained right around (or less than!?) 500 calories!?! So, yes, it's important in a survival situation to figure out what kind of fuel you're inputting to your body! For comparison, my 18oz Peanut Butter contains over 3000 calories! That's 100 calories/lb versus 2700 calories/lb