Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 17:25   #21
ronin.45

For me the 19 is an odd size that oesnt fit my hand well. I love the 17 and 26 however.

If you have small hands you may feel the exact opposite.
Old 10-10-2012, 17:30   #22
DFin

17 for me, because the bottom of the 19 digs into my palm, but it seems like the 19 is the better one for you.

Last edited by DFin; 10-10-2012 at 17:33..
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:40   #23
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyG View Post
This isn't directed towards anybody in this thread, but I just have to get something off my chest. It's the "what shoots the best groups" thing in relation to a carry gun. The following pertains to civilian carry only:

1) A civilian gunfight is going to be a close range thing. The traditional SD seven yard distance is considered "close" compared to the 10 and 15 yard settings. You are more likely to have a civilian encounter at seven FEET than seven yards. If you can't do a fist sized group at seven feet or even five yards with a G19 you have a bigger problem than your gun selection.

2) On the range it is always satisfying to be able to shoot 2" groups at 7 or 10 yards. However, that is not necessary for SD use. In a defensive encounter both you and the perp are likely to be moving in some fashion. The 2" group is nice on cardboard but meaningless when all the particpants are moving. Kinda like headshots - great for executions but hard to do on a non-stationary target (aka human).

3) An accurate handgun is just plain fun, but you need to keep a perspective. My Wilson will do 1 1/2" at 25 yards. So what? A WWII GI 1911 will do 6-8" at the same distance. Take five yards, a relatively long distance for SD. The GI 1911 gives you a 1.6" group at that distance. In other words - it's usually the shooter and not the gun.

4) In spite of the above, I simply like big guns although I'm not a big guy. I carry daily and use either a Sig P226 or a G34. Both are in a Sparks VM-2 and conceal well and comfortably. I'm under no illusion, however, that I'm going to be any "safer" than carrying a smaller gun.

5) When for reasons of attire a smaller gun is needed, the smallest I will carry is my Sig P239 .40. Thats my personal limit on smaller size guns. Having said that, some people's lifestyle dictates an even smaller gun. Still better than having nothing though.

Sometimes this stuff reminds me of my USAF days when I was in tech school. A local radio station gave time checks corrected to "one thousandth of a second". Then they would give a one second tone to indicate the designated time.
I agree with your sentiment. The majority of armed Civilian self-defense scenarios are pretty much resolved within 3's (3 feet, 3 shots, 3 seconds) and most of the rest only greater slightly in distances, time and round counts , but there are many documentated civilian defense cases of multiple assailants, longer range engagements and perps taking multiple rounds and still keep fighting or attacking and you must consider these scenarios as well.
A 5 shot j-frame is adequate for the vast majority of civilian as well as LEO use of deadly force situations and a great contact distance close quarter weapon, but cops carry high cap autoloaders for a reason and we are around and might have to engage the same perps they do and IMO are wise to follow suit in choosing hardware. If someone thinks that the possibility is so low that they will have to engage an assailant at farther than room distances and that higher on board round counts aren't necessarily then they might as well be carrying a Scandium J-Frame and be done with it(many do just that). But, if someone is deciding between a G17 and a G19, I would say that person feels the small light revolver or even the Micro auto's are inadequate and they are saying that they will gladly deal with the heavier weight and larger size of a functional combat sidearm, then why let a miniscule amount of size deter you from picking the gun you can run the best.
Most people simply draw and shoot a 17 better than a 19 and why you see 17's used at competitions and very few 19's. I have little to no interest in sport shooting, but some skills and gear do carry over. Also don't overlook the draw itself and the ability to get a full solid grip.Most men will say they can simply get a much better grip on the 17 than the smaller models as well as better overall handling and quicker more stable mag changes(not highly likely in Civvie self-defense, but never know).
I would gladly deal with the slightly larger size of the G17 to gain all the practical functional advantages, because if I were in a real life and death self-defense situation, I want the gun I can handle and shoot the best.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:45   #24
glocksonlock

I also have the CM9 for Summer EDC and old faithful 27 for Winter EDC. As far as the 17 and 19 question I would definetly say the 19 for the simple fact that if you wanted (with your frame) could carry it and it has the 3 finger grip for range/target grip.
glocksonlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:00   #25
Rustin

17 all the way. It's the original Glock. It shoots like a dream. The 19 is great but it is more of a comprimise gun. If it's going to more of a range/hd gun, the 17 is the clear winner in my mind.

Although, if you do want to carry it, the difference between the two is neglible, however I feel that the difference becomes more noticeable. The grip fits the hand perfectly and it's about 1oz. If you really really like it (you will) and you want to carry a Glock, the G26 is where you begin to notice a difference.

Now the dilemma comes down to which flavor of 17 you want. Perhaps the an OD or FDE colored frame? RTF2 with gillies? Gen 1 classic? There are many choices of Glocks and them some, even they really do kinda look the same.

Last edited by Rustin; 10-10-2012 at 18:29..
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:19   #26
fortyofforty
Narcissist

For me, G19 all the way. The G17 size just doesn’t feel right in my hands, and I shoot the G19 just fine, all the way out to long distances (100 yards). There is no reason for the G17, since it's harder to conceal, offers negligible increases in velocity, and a tiny increase in sight radius. As was stated above, add a G17 magazine if you need to, or carry one as your spare and get the best of both worlds.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
to save animals! Gun Rights are Civil Rights.
fortyofforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:11   #27
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER

The G19 is my favorite go to gun.
Old 10-10-2012, 20:26   #28
ViennaGambit

G17 or G34.

You said this would be for home defense and range - the G19 gives you NO advantage over the G17 or G34 in these roles...

With that said, you need to rent and shoot both then get back to us...

FWIW, I owned a 26, 19, and 17 - I sold the 19 as it just didnt fit... G26 is perfect CCW and G17 is perfect HD/Range/SHTF.
Old 10-10-2012, 20:59   #29
3one5

Wow you guys shire are a lot of help. I will go to the store this weekend and hold both. I think I need the gen4 for the reduced handle. But I'll try both. If the gen3 feels good then I can rent a 17 and 19 at my range and shoot both. After all you help I'm now leaning towards the 17.
3one5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:21   #30
crashoverrideplik

I own both. I prefer a 19 for carry due to the grip not printing as much. That might be easily corrected with the correct holster but currently I don't have one (it's in transit) so I can't say definitely. The increased sight radius is nicer on a 17. In a perfect world I'd have a G17 upper on a G19 lower. I think that would be the right combo. One of my guns is getting modded right now to kinda be that gun. It's a G17 with a grip reduction to allow G19 magazines. The sight radius I like with the option to use more magazine choices. If your range has both in the range box shoot about 100 thru each (or more). When I was buying a new one with my GSSF coupon I did that. I consistently shot the G19 better. I frequently carry a Commander sized 1911 so that might have something to do with it.
crashoverrideplik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:46   #31
sonoma

I have big hands so i would like a G17 lower and a G19 upper.Even with the finger humps taken of the 19 its still about 1/4 inch too short for my hand
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:07   #32
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma View Post
I have big hands so i would like a G17 lower and a G19 upper.Even with the finger humps taken of the 19 its still about 1/4 inch too short for my hand
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1286218
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:26   #33
Taurus851

i'm itching to take my 17 out shooting after reading this thread
Old 10-11-2012, 13:47   #34
OhioGlock90

if it was me and i already had a EDC i would go with the G17, however that's because I'm more comfortable with it. If you like the size of the G19 then go with that. what ever is more comfortable for you will be better in the long run. if you spend enough trigger time behind the gun there shouldn't be an issue.
OhioGlock90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 19:28   #35
jw38

19, 19 and the 19. You'll be happy. I personally like my 19's with the Glock -connector (3.5), extended mag release and the extended slide lock along with the Glock/Trijicon white dot (steel version) front sight.
Practice, practice and practice some more.
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 21:48   #36
avenues165

Get the model that you feel fits you. I would at a bare minimum hold both, but the recommendation to shoot at least 100 rounds through each is a very good idea. I know my preferences on Glock sizes, but what fits me may not fit you.

Don't discount a G34 if the primary use is home defense and range use.

Good luck, I am sure you'll be happy either way you go, but find what is best for you!
avenues165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:33   #37
dajcarroll

I honestly think you'll be happy with either one. I currently have a 19, but if I had to choose a favorite 9mm Glock... 17 hands down.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
S&W 10-5 .38spl Snub Nose
Winchester 1300 Ranger 12 Ga.
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage 24 O/U - .22LR/410
dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:09   #38
"Cold Dead Hands" !

G34 !
Best range & home defense gun.
Right out of the box it has a better trigger than the other Glocks.
Exact same size as the G17, except a longer barrel & sight radius.
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote