Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 18:00   #1
HiccaBurp
CCCC

New Mossberg 930 JM Pro showing signs of usage??

I had my local FFL keep an eye for when a Mossberg 930 JM Pro came in stock Last week a few did and he grabbed 3 of them. I went to pick one up the other day and brought it home. Upon inspection, I see usage wear. I contact him, he contacts rep at Davidsons and rep informs him he sees this sometimes from the factory?? My FFL says no biggie, if I want to return it, he'll give me 100% refund.

So, is this normal? What would you do?

Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
HiccaBurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:06   #2
RYT 2BER

Hmm does look like it was handled and sticker was removed....

Personally I'd get my $$ back and get a fresh one... Those guns aren't exactly bottom of the barrel cheap..
Old 10-10-2012, 21:27   #3
aippi

If you presented that to me as a new unfired weapon I would not buy it as new. They do not function test these weapons with ammo. Each component is inspected and the barrels are proof tested on a machine. The marks on the carrier are from being loaded and from what little the picture reveals of the barrel the weapon has been fired with ammunition.

That went back and some minor issue was repaired and it went back out. That is my professional assesment from the pictures you have posted. Not your dealers issue but Davisons should have known. They have a life time warranty on all guns which is why their prices are higher then other distributors. They will replace it, just hope not with another return.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 10-10-2012 at 21:28..
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48   #4
matt_lowry123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Hmm does look like it was handled and sticker was removed....

Personally I'd get my $$ back and get a fresh one... Those guns aren't exactly bottom of the barrel cheap..
This ^^^^^^^^

I have one and love it. I'd be a little upset if I bought a new one and it looked like that
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:24   #5
HiccaBurp
CCCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
If you presented that to me as a new unfired weapon I would not buy it as new. They do not function test these weapons with ammo. Each component is inspected and the barrels are proof tested on a machine. The marks on the carrier are from being loaded and from what little the picture reveals of the barrel the weapon has been fired with ammunition.

That went back and some minor issue was repaired and it went back out. That is my professional assesment from the pictures you have posted. Not your dealers issue but Davisons should have known. They have a life time warranty on all guns which is why their prices are higher then other distributors. They will replace it, just hope not with another return.
Thanks for the informative response!! One bit of information I left out.. when he received them, he gave me 3 serial numbers to choose from. Pretty much in consecutive order.

AF074402
AF074403
AF074394

So, the return theory doesn't hold up. He had sold the other 2 over the weekend and shipped out before I came to pick up mine. My only conclusion is either someone at Davidson or my FFL took it out to see what "all the fuss" is about?? If so, great, I don't care. Sure, not the "right" thing to do on their part.. but I plan on putting thousands of rounds between range time, training and 3gun events.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01   #6
HiccaBurp
CCCC

Just got off the phone with Mossberg.. they say everyone of their shotguns is test fired. The techs are supposed to clean them up, but some get thru without.

So, I'm keeping it and hope to shoot the hell out of it!! And hope it improves my 3gun game?? []
Old 10-11-2012, 15:32   #7
aippi

And you believe that? The people you talk to are customer support cubical clowns who read from a computer screen and most have never even fired a weapon. As I stated, the barrels are proof tested but the weaopn is not fired so it is not true that they test fire every weapon. The scratches on your carrier indicate multiple rounds loaded in that weapon. Something could have come up in the QC inspection that resulted in the weapon being fired for testing but that does not explain all the signs in your photo's. Also not cleaning the weapon does not account for the scratches does it.

You were sharp enough to notice something funny with what was susposed to be a factory new in the box weapon but excepted a pure BS response as the cause. I would not even have accepted the weapon on the cosmetic damage alone. And yes, I use my weapons and it will look worse then that after a couple of outings but I am the one doing that to it. If I am paying for new then it is going to be new. I guess I expect more for my money then others do. Guess it is because I have so little of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:38   #8
Aiden

Looks "like new" to me. Not brand new.

Definitely looks like it has been loaded, definitely looks like it has been fired.

Not that I mind the scratches/firing/etc, that's gonna happen when I buy a gun. But when I'm paying full price for a brand new gun, I want a brand new gun. I'll take the stickers off myself!

Just my two cents.

On a side note, congrats on snagging one of those! I waited months before giving up and getting an M2 instead. Still waiting to see if my dealer gets his hands on one...
Old 10-12-2012, 15:33   #9
HiccaBurp
CCCC

GREAT NEWS!! He just snagged a couple of more NEW 930 JM Pros!! He said to hang on to this one and when the other two come in mid week I can come in and pick whichever one I want :D

I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I wouldbe wanting an exchange for a NEW weapon.
That one has seen a bit more than "factory test fired"
Someone is feeding you a line of BS!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04   #11
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Inspect before you buy, not after.
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:33   #12
Hurricanes

My friend ordered a 930 a few months back from a gun shop I was working at. His looked absolutely nothing like that. Out of the box it looked like it came straight off the line and into my hands. I would send it back and get a fresh one.
-Joel
Hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:00   #13
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

The metal on the bottom of the shell lifter is just brass rubbed off the shells they loaded the gun with to test fire it. Should rub off with some gun oil and a little elbow grease. But its going to do that every time you load it--the brass they plate the base metal on shells with is pretty crappy.

The lead streaking in the barrel is normal--usually from slugs. I suppose they test fire the gun with shot and slugs--don't know. But when you shoot some slugs through it the result will be the same. It comes out with a brush and a good bore solvent.

Can't speak to the marks on the receiver. The adhesive marks from the sticker would come off with a little alcohol on a soft cloth or something like "goo be gone" I would guess.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 10-15-2012 at 05:02..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote