Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 16:37   #26
blueiron
Clown move, bro

I still believe merchant ships with guarded prison detachments make sense.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:47   #27
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Forget the work detail on the ship, just throw them overboard. Less food consumed, less energy used for propulsion.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 21:34   #28
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweer View Post
We just got a guy in our place that was transferred...from a prison in China. American working over there and got busted with drugs and served a few years before coming here to serve US fed time. Funny, but he seemed to think our place was quite nice
I remember hearing about prison officials from China who visited the BOP. They liked what we were doing concerning teaching the inmates trades. So, I guess it was good that I wasn't nearby to ask about their set up.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 21:36   #29
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6Gator View Post
Hack, I like the way you think. Maybe we need to start an exchange program. We had one when I was active duty and it'd give them an opportunity to sample life in other countries. Let 'em spend a year or two in Greek or Turkish prisons and I'll bet their perspectives will change significantly. Even cheaper, let them spend some time south of the border...
We do have sort of an exchange program, but not in the way that it would teach an inmate a lesson. Some international inmates are authorized to go back to their home country to complete the rest of their time, and vice versa.
Old 10-09-2012, 21:51   #30
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
I still believe merchant ships with guarded prison detachments make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Forget the work detail on the ship, just throw them overboard. Less food consumed, less energy used for propulsion.
Actually it wouldn't be hard. Hire merchant mariners to the service of the BOP. The US Navy would have to be willing to lease ships, or there is the possibility that vessels could be purchased and refurbished. Keep them within the US limits on the water ways. A few old freighters could be refurbished to the task of growing food.

Inmates could be taught trades, (medium custody and below), and cycled out at the end of two years. Keep the highest custody levels restricted to land. The BOP employees would be cycled out at assigned ports, paid a little extra for being away from their families for a week or two, and given a little extra vacation time; like we do for those in PR, and HI.

Personally I think it would work well for awhile until laws could be passed to revamp federal laws to where people convicted of some of the lesser crimes could be sentenced to home confinement for half a year, instead of being placed in prison camps, and halfway houses.

Another possibility would be to take inmates who are sentenced under military guidelines and ship them out to sea a year or two at a time, completely under military jurisdiction.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26   #31
brisk21

Yeah the inmates are whiners about their food up here in Michigan as well. I work a a max prison, so I deal with the bottome 10% of prisoners, so I see more complaining than most. I never understood why they get 3 hot meals a day. I don't eat 3 hot meals a day. I don't know many people who do. I think they should get a simple cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and a hot dinner.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:42   #32
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
Yeah the inmates are whiners about their food up here in Michigan as well. I work a a max prison, so I deal with the bottome 10% of prisoners, so I see more complaining than most. I never understood why they get 3 hot meals a day. I don't eat 3 hot meals a day. I don't know many people who do. I think they should get a simple cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and a hot dinner.
I hear you there. Where I work now it has been altered to where they still get nutritionally sound meals, pastry, cereal, fruit and milk everyday of the week in the mornings. They still get the big lunches, and evening meals though, just no salad bar. Still get religious based meals, and what have you.

I have heard that the minimum amount of meals is two per day by law.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:02   #33
Tx-SIG229

you forgot to mention inmates who receive "special diet" meals for one lame reason or another. and... lets not forget all those fakers that claim to be recently converted muslims only because then they get their 'ramadan meals' .
Old 10-10-2012, 19:11   #34
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I am on a seafood only diet of lobsters and oysters and shrimp, how dat be?
Old 10-10-2012, 19:24   #35
LAWDOGKMS

I only have experience with what our contract jail brings everyday to the courthouse for lunch for the prisoners they deliver..

I've taken note that it is consistently 4 slices of bread, 4 thick slices of bologna, an orange, and (4) namebrand cookies.

They always throw a couple extra in, in case we have new arrests brought to the courthouse, and the extras get tossed at the end of the day..

I "might" have tasted a few of the "cookies" to test for edibility..

Also...not all the prisonsers always want their lunch, so....i guess they're not starving..

Last edited by LAWDOGKMS; 10-10-2012 at 19:25..
LAWDOGKMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:09   #36
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Prison should be a place that is so unpleasant that no one EVER wants to go back, and they tell their low life buddies just how bad it was.
Old 10-10-2012, 20:43   #37
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Prison should be a place that is so unpleasant that no one EVER wants to go back, and they tell their low life buddies just how bad it was.
You'd shake your head at some of the Dirtballs walking into the pods here. Shaking hands, "what up my n****, got me here on some bull****" then it's a big family reunion.

We should freeze them and only wake them up when they need court appearances.

Sent from my PKE meter.

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:17   #38
nursetim

Quote:
Never works like that. They see it as a right of passage. "I did my time like a man." They clique up, hola ley vato.
Old 10-10-2012, 21:27   #39
brisk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I hear you there. Where I work now it has been altered to where they still get nutritionally sound meals, pastry, cereal, fruit and milk everyday of the week in the mornings. They still get the big lunches, and evening meals though, just no salad bar. Still get religious based meals, and what have you.

I have heard that the minimum amount of meals is two per day by law.
Oh yes. We have every religous meal known to man. We have "snack bags" for convicts who get hungry at night. We have all sorts of silly stuff for these guys. The deputy warden just used taxpayer money to buy a bunch of 50' flatscreen tvs so the convicts can start having "tv" time, and "movie night" even though most of them already have their own tv.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20   #40
dweer

Quote:
When I worked in the state I had MULTIPLE inmates tell me they didn't want to go home because they liked it in prison better. Inside they had someone to set their entire schedule, meal, housing, friends, family, and no responsibility. On the street they had to take care of themselves. Wonder why we had so many come back...
dweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:31   #41
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
When I worked in the state I had MULTIPLE inmates tell me they didn't want to go home because they liked it in prison better. Inside they had someone to set their entire schedule, meal, housing, friends, family, and no responsibility. On the street they had to take care of themselves. Wonder why we had so many come back...
Not to mention all the surprise buttseks you can stand, or not stand. Don't matter in the joint.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55   #42
nursetim

And they all pester medical for special diets. I always ordered rast test for what ever the claimed. When it came back negative, like 98% did, I took pleasure informing the Pt. that there was no medical indication for a special diet, sucks to be you.

I remember this half a sissy came in telling me, telling me, what I was going to do for him. Nancy wanted a vegitarian diet. Told him, in no uncertain terms, I was the authority, not him. Vegitarian diets were not medically necessary. Then my veg head medical director wrote a vegitarian diet order for him. What an idjit.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:13   #43
LAWDOGKMS

Quote:
Oh yes. We have every religous meal known to man. We have "snack bags" for convicts who get hungry at night. We have all sorts of silly stuff for these guys. The deputy warden just used taxpayer money to buy a bunch of 50' flatscreen tvs so the convicts can start having "tv" time, and "movie night" even though most of them already have their own tv.
Even better...local county jail here just hit the commissioners court up for $100K to rewire the jail.

The reason? The 300 microwaves IN THE CELLS! that are overloading the system...

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/J...169983926.html
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54   #44
brisk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWDOGKMS View Post
Even better...local county jail here just hit the commissioners court up for $100K to rewire the jail.

The reason? The 300 microwaves IN THE CELLS! that are overloading the system...

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/J...169983926.html

I wish I was suprised by this.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58   #45
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Around here the low lifes try to schedule their incarceration for the winter months so they can hang out with their buds watching TV. Don't have to worry about keeping the heat on at home, and no big cable bill.
Old 10-11-2012, 16:49   #46
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Tent city outdoors with no heating source.
Old 10-11-2012, 19:05   #47
LAWDOGKMS

Quote:
I wish I was suprised by this.
Oh...did I mention that the jail also serves up three square meals a day? The microwaves are for heating up their commissary...and you should see the massive commissary list of several pages of small font print..
Old 10-11-2012, 19:20   #48
dling

Does Russia have a better approach to handing bad actors?

dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:10   #49
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewseph View Post
"This jail sucks."-I/m

"Thanks man." -Me
I absolutely will be using this.

You don't even have to go to other countries to find rotten conditions.

Why, there was this one time a fella was telling me how awful our jail was. Seems in Illinois where he is from, they get more calories, warmer cells, softer jumpsuits, cushier mats and actual pillows!

I had to tell him that we don't bar emmigration out of Michigan. Feel free to take your wife-beating ass back to the City that Works.
Old 10-12-2012, 17:14   #50
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-SIG229 View Post
you forgot to mention inmates who receive "special diet" meals for one lame reason or another. and... lets not forget all those fakers that claim to be recently converted muslims only because then they get their 'ramadan meals' .
We put a stop to most of that crap. They can officially declare themselves a member of a religion any time they want, but they now have to be a member of said "faith" for six months before they can participate in any of the so-called 'special events'. The practicing Muslims support this, for the most part at least.