SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 20:49   #151
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
The laws in your state regarding guns are immoral.
Let me know how that defense works out for ya.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:55   #152
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

still havent heard why this guy didnt have a ccw permit/license......

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:17   #153
BossGodfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.
That is one of most stupid post I have ever read, thank you for reminding why I spend so little time on internet forums now !
Old 10-08-2012, 22:56   #154
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossGodfrey View Post
That is one of most stupid post I have ever read, thank you for reminding why I spend so little time on internet forums now !
+1
oldman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 23:30   #155
ray9898

You know....normally I would really feel for the guy over the 'mixup' but considering his actions were against the law in his home state also I have to wonder about his judgement. You can't go blundering through life flying by th seat of your pants.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 23:35   #156
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
You know....normally I would really feel for the guy over the 'mixup' but considering his actions were against the law in his home state also I have to wonder about his judgement. You can't go blundering through life flying by th seat of your pants.
Ray, I think there is definitely more to this story.

Sent from my PKE meter.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:37   #157
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I hope if a herd of swine decide to make a meal out of your dad or son I am there instead of you to save the life of that human.

You might want to rethink your interpretation of God's will, and the laws that govern true Christianity.

-G
Let's keep things in context - OK. I was specifically referring to biblical laws regarding hunting; but, thank you for expanding the definition to include self-defense. That's an acceptable reason for ending life, too.

PS: If you reread my first post in this thread you should be able to see that I have little, or no, problem ending an animal's life by reason of self-defense.

I didn't get to be my present age because I needed someone else to bail me out every time I got in trouble. Self-defense and I are, 'old friends'; but, now, we're no longer talking about scriptural concepts as they relate to sport hunting - We're talking about self-defense.

As far as my comments to ithaca_deerslayer go, self-defense is NOT the message I was hoping to put across. If I confused you, I apologize.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 10-09-2012 at 06:18..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43   #158
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkd View Post
Kentucky just passed a law allowing you to carry a handgun when hunting or fishing, even when bowhunting you can carry a firearm......hmmmmm wonder why?
Same for PA! Bow Hunters can now carry.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49   #159
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Ok, then it is not handguns that bother you, but sport hunting.

Using your logic, hunting with a rifle is bad too. But if it must be done, the logical conclusion is it should be done over bait to get the animal in close, maybe at night with a spotlight too. Better yet to raise your own animals and kill them at contact distance.

However, the guy making a mess up close with a handgun didn't know what he was doing, so I wouldn't put all handgun users down for that guy's mistakes. Farm animals are not generally slaughtered with .458 magnums.

But back to sport hunting, what is wrong with it? Is it that the animal might briefly suffer? Or is it that the hunter takes pleasure in the experience?

The meat eater takes pleasure in the experience of eating meat, and could instead choose to be vegetarian. So why should the sport hunter not take pleasure in the pursuit, method of killing, and the eventual eating? As we all know, the sport hunter appreciates the wild animals and helps to preserve their habitat, and keep the species thriving.
Your reply is, both, a non-sequitur as well as a misleading exaggeration of what I've said.

There are two great hunters and game takers in the Bible: Nimrod and Esau. Both were detestable to God; but, please, don't let me interfere with your love of a, 'blood sport'.

As I've had to learn for myself, sport hunting - whether or not the game is consumed - is something a man has to, 'grow through' as he matures and draws closer to God. If you're not quite there yet, believe me, I'm able to understand!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56   #160
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
If I were the officer, given the fact he was an out-of-state hunter, I would have given your friend a run down of the law and had him unload, lock it up and be on his way.
There is some great common sense for ya! A LE friend of mine told me.....why make the honest people crazy? There are already plenty of crazy dishonest people out there already! I'm sure the jail space could also be used for more violent crazy people.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12   #161
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Your reply is, both, a non-sequitur as well as a misleading exaggeration of what I've said.

There are two great hunters and game takers in the Bible: Nimrod and Esau. Both were detestable to God; but, please, don't let me interfere with your love of a, 'blood sport'.

As I've had to learn for myself, sport hunting - whether or not the game is consumed - is something a man has to, 'grow through' as he matures and draws closer to God. If you're not quite there yet, believe me, I'm able to understand!
What I meant by baiting, and the reason it does logically follow, is because it seems your objection to handgun hunting is you don't like sport hunting, and you don't want an animal to suffer, but you still seem willing to eat meat.

Therefore, if we want to eat some tasty wild animal out there, it would seem the most logical conclusion would be to get as close to the animal as possible for the shot, and not making a sport of it. Putting out bait and having a spotlight ready would accomplish that.

Then use the best tool for the job, whether it be rifle or handgun.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19   #162
BuckeyePPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe.

Then you're not carrying, you're just transporting.

And a carjacker's dream.

I live half an hour from the Mexican border and here you have to worry about drug runners and human trafficakers aka Coyotes. I worry more about them than the cougars and javelinas.

Went quail hunting in the high desert this past weekend and most of us were carrying handguns.
BuckeyePPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:36   #163
GWG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe.
Don't forget Moonshiners. I walked up on a big still while bird hunting. I looked at the tanks which looked to be able to hold about 100 gallons each and decided I didn't need to around those parts of the woods. A little later I did encounter a fellar who asked where I had been hunting, I replied over that away which was in the opposite direction I had came from.
I do carry a Ruger GP100 when I hunt.

Last edited by GWG19; 10-09-2012 at 07:37..
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27   #164
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWG19 View Post
Don't forget Moonshiners. I walked up on a big still while bird hunting. I looked at the tanks which looked to be able to hold about 100 gallons each and decided I didn't need to around those parts of the woods. A little later I did encounter a fellar who asked where I had been hunting, I replied over that away which was in the opposite direction I had came from.
I do carry a Ruger GP100 when I hunt.
You good thing you didn't point 90* from where you would have just came from, you would have said "from the burial graves" or "from the meth lab".
nikerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:28   #165
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Wait!! You mean we haven't been given the whole story by someone who wasn't there?
nikerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05   #166
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:

Sent from my PKE meter.
Kind-of a given. There is ALWAYS more to EVERY story.
hamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50   #167
man.cave

Quote:
Sorry guys. I believe what I believe.

Been hunting alone since I was 9. I never once felt the need for a hand gun too. neither did my grandad, my dad and now my 3 grown sons. I've never hunted with a serious hunter that carried one either.
Again, I have hunted the plains, southern US and the Rockies. I've never hunted Alaska where it may be wise.

But to each his own.
Odd, i don't spend alot of time hunting but spend a good amount of my work week in the "woods", I am a forester and buy standing timber for a large company. I carry and for the most part am glad i do. Several times I have faced situations that I was glad I was armed. No never had to shoot anybody (thank God), but have shot wild dogs, snakes and just having it on my side has cooled down many situations. I run up on dope growers from time to time and folks hunting out of season etc. I always use a cool head, but you never know, and when they see my firearm and my stance they usually back out.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 13:41   #168
JuneyBooney

Quote:

Sent from my PKE meter.
I would tend to agree..but some people think America is still "Mayberry" and don't get the required permits to stay out of trouble.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 13:56   #169
*ASH*

whats the site to look up gun carry laws from state to state ?? im nc and i got friend going hunting in another state , thinking he needs to look it up ?
Old 10-09-2012, 13:59   #170
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
There are but a few GT posters who offer little or nothing consistently. You are the de facto President of that group.
Old 10-09-2012, 14:19   #171
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Another fine example of infringing laws making criminals out of Constitutionally legal citizens.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:30   #172
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
whats the site to look up gun carry laws from state to state ?? im nc and i got friend going hunting in another state , thinking he needs to look it up ?
Of course....just like your friend should look up hunting regulations for the other state because there are likely differences in the two. The laws are not the same and they vary.

Last edited by ray9898; 10-09-2012 at 23:25..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:09   #173
Just_plinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
Another fine example of infringing laws making criminals out of Constitutionally legal citizens.
Exactly!

I cringe when I hear "ignorance of the law is no excuse" when the federal government doesn't even know how many criminal laws are on its own books. It can give you a rough estimate though.

If you aren't doing anything wrong, you should have no fear of the law, sadly that ain't the situation.
Old 10-09-2012, 15:20   #174
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
What I meant by baiting, and the reason it does logically follow, is because it seems your objection to handgun hunting is you don't like sport hunting, and you don't want an animal to suffer, but you still seem willing to eat meat.

Therefore, if we want to eat some tasty wild animal out there, it would seem the most logical conclusion would be to get as close to the animal as possible for the shot, and not making a sport of it. Putting out bait and having a spotlight ready would accomplish that.

Then use the best tool for the job, whether it be rifle or handgun.
Well, I appreciate what you're saying; but, with all the hunting I used to do, I've never baited an animal - Not even once in my entire life. I have sat on a few scrapes, though, and intercepted many an animal on the way to its feeding ground.

I'm not above killing to eat; but, I really am at that age in life where I no longer take pleasure in the sport of the kill; nor am I any longer able to justify this behavior to myself by eating what I've taken down. If I had my life to live over again I wouldn't be a hunter. A meat eater? Maybe, but not a hunter.

I just lost my taste for it; moreover, these past 25 years I've been doing a sort of penance. My wife and I have spent thousands of dollars rescuing injured and abandoned animals. We live on a farm; and, when the old barn was out on the road, people were always dropping off their unwanted cats and dogs on the property!

When the economy began to change and people began to lose their jobs, the rate of unwanted drop-offs went way up. (Maybe double!) The fellow who lives at the other end of the farm simply shot them; another neighbor who lives down the road used to trap them in leg hold traps. Any dogs, or especially cats, who stayed around our house and barn ended up getting saved.

I'm not against hunting, per se. I still eat some, but not a lot of, meat. I, personally, just don't care to hunt anymore. I'll be very honest with you, though: If the economy gets much worse, or if gas goes to $5 or $6 dollars a gallon I do think that I'll get the required permits and start taking some of these deer that are always going in and out of the hay fields. (Including our beautiful hosta garden!)

My position on what gun to use is the same for hunting as it is for self-defense: Just shoot straight, and use enough gun!
Old 10-09-2012, 15:34   #175
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Quote:
the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back
So you folks are the kind of people who do things behind the backs of others? Scared to say anything to their face?

Look. You might think you know everything, but the fact is, you don't. Everyone has a different perspective, opinion, and viewpoint. Ask 10 people to describe the color red, and you'll likely get several different descriptions. Just because you do or don't like it, doesn't mean you are right, and they are wrong.

Have I ever carried a pistol when I went hunting? No. But I am not going to make an ass of myself and criticize others who do. If that is what they want to do, more power to them. They hunt. They wear a sidearm. That is two things we instantly have in common, and there are probably more. Why be so petty and childish and criticize others for something so simple and asinine, and something that basically comes down to personal opinion? Why? Because that is the kind of person you are.

"I cannot sit and watch a lady diminish her qualities to the lowest common denominator. I just can't do that" - Jerry Lewis on female comics
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote