Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:36   #1
SGT HATRED

United States Postal Service (Rant)...

Short rant but I am extremely pIssed none the less. I moved In wIth my then gIrlfrIend over 2 years ago. I have been recIevIng my maIl for the vast majorIty of that tIme. About a month ago I see thIs wrItten on the maIlbox.
The Okie Corral

SInce It Is wrItten In magIc marker I dIdn't really thInk anythIng of It. Now fast forward to today. I ordered multIple Items form Amazon and haven't receIved them. When I trIed trackIng the package It's reason was "undelIverable due to Incorrect address" I found thIs strange sInce I made no changes to my account. So I call the post offIce and was told that sInce my name was not wrItten on the InsIde of my maIlbox I can not recIeve packages. As you can tell from the pIc It Is a cluster box but we do have our own street address. I can't understand how thIs Is legal. WIthholdIng my maIl when the only notIce Is a hand wrItten statement addressed to no one. If the sellers on amazon try to recharge me for shIppIng I am serIously goIng blow a gasket.

GettIng Into what Ifs here but, what If I had some tIme sensItIve maIl I dIdn't recIeve due to thIs BS? What about addItIonal shIppIng charges I mIght recIeve? Can I hold the post offIce responsIble for those due to theIr lack of formal warnIng? I'm consIderIng wrIttIng my name wIth a nasty note but I don't know. If I legally changed my address on my state ID I don't feel the need to put my name out there (or on the InsIde of my maIlbox) for randoms to see.

Ugh spellcheck got the better of me. I'm not going through and changing all those I's
SGT HATRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44   #2
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Every mailbox I ever had have required at least the last name of the occupants inside the mailbox. This is nothing new. All it requires is a handwritten note inside the box. With regards to the Amazon package, of course the shippers should charge for shipping again, they will have to pay for it again, and they did nothing wrong. Why should they pay for your mistake?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48   #3
SGT HATRED

My mistake? I have recieved mail for almost 2 years at this address. Now without warning they stop my mail because of a handwritten sign? Thats some BS right there...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08   #4
bmoore

Atleast they wrote you a note. When I put up a new mailbox and post last spring I put the numbers on the outside and thought I was GTG. The mail lady just drove by everyday until I went outside and asked what the problem was. She told me we needed the last name in the mailbox.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18   #5
SGT HATRED

I think this is a little different than putting up my own post and box... But I'm sure I would be pissed just the same.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19   #6
wjv

Why do they need a name?

A legal address is all they should require.

What about mail addressed as "occupant". No one named occupant lives in my home.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27   #7
Adjuster

I have lived in several places with the cluster type boxes. All of them have required that my name be written inside the box. I will say however that the mail carriers always complete this for me. I have never had to personally put my name in the box.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29   #8
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Odd, I've lived on a few apartments that had similar boxes and never put my name or anything on the inside.

Been getting my mail fine here for 6 years. I know the apartment complex didn't put anything in there because I had to get the key straight from the post office.

Of course the amazon shippers are going to charge you again. They have to pay again.

I rarely agree with the OP in a rant, but yea why the sudden change and you could atleast leave a real note.

Last edited by captainstormy; 10-09-2012 at 10:31..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10   #9
ray9898

I have lived in a 1/2 apartments over the years and every one of them had the names of the current residents on the inside of the box.

Last edited by ray9898; 10-09-2012 at 11:13..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13   #10
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Why do they need a name?

What about mail addressed as "occupant". No one named occupant lives in my home.
Because apartments change hands so frequently. No one wants mail from the previous resident and you will find threads on this very site complaining about that. That allows the mail carrier to determine what mail is correct and what should be returned. Anything addressed to the 'current occupant' would be delivered.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29   #11
SGT HATRED

We are not talking appts here, I want to point out that I live in a house with a street address. 2 years this has been a non issue....
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31   #12
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
We are not talking appts here, I want to point out that I live in a house with a street address. 2 years this has been a non issue....
I live in a house with a street address also, and we have cluster boxes, with little slips of paper with our names inside them.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32   #13
SGT HATRED

Good for you, do you want a cookie?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35   #14
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Quote:
Sure, you can mail it to me, and I am sure I will get it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37   #15
SGT HATRED

Ok that did make me lol... But I'm still livid.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44   #16
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Atleast they wrote you a note. When I put up a new mailbox and post last spring I put the numbers on the outside and thought I was GTG. The mail lady just drove by everyday until I went outside and asked what the problem was. She told me we needed the last name in the mailbox.
ON the mailbox???

12 yrs or so ago, I went to a client's house. He had some comedy name on the mailbox. Like Fugawee or something similarly humorous.

"You can't seriously get mail here, do you?"

"What difference does the name make?" he replied. "They deliver mail to a NUMBER, not a name."

Maybe that's changed.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiGregg View Post
Sure, you can mail it to me, and I am sure I will get it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47   #17
bigchuck83

not sure what can be done, i know when i put in a change of address form my mail still went to my old address for at least 2 months. filed a complaint and within 24 hours i had a phone call from a postal inspector saying the issue would be looked into. Within a week my mail finally started showing up. where i live the is a cluster box for my apartment complex and there are no names on the inside of the boxes.
bigchuck83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22   #18
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
I have lived in a 1/2 apartments over the years and every one of them had the names of the current residents on the inside of the box.
I just checked mine out of couriousity. No name, and no obvious place for a card or anything.

I do get mail with other peoples names on it from time to time. Its obvious they just mail to the address.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22   #19
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
ON the mailbox???

12 yrs or so ago, I went to a client's house. He had some comedy name on the mailbox. Like Fugawee or something similarly humorous.

"You can't seriously get mail here, do you?"

"What difference does the name make?" he replied. "They deliver mail to a NUMBER, not a name."

Maybe that's changed.

No, in the box not on the outside.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22   #20
BigMoneyGrip

Write your name on the box with a crayon.
BigMoneyGrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:53   #21
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
No, in the box not on the outside.
IN your mailbox?

Like a regular single-mail-box-on-a-post type mailbox? SFH or apartment complex/2-family/?? ?

I can honestly say my name has never been INSIDE my mailbox. My mail goes there, and it has my name on it, but. . .

Hell, I've mailed crap to people who DON'T live at a house and it got delivered.

Perhaps I'm confused.

EDIT:

Here are the reg's for single mailboxes (mailboii??):

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usp...eType:embedded

NAME is not required, just reco'd.

Last edited by Dennis in MA; 10-09-2012 at 12:57..
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 13:01   #22
SGT HATRED

Yes inside the mail box. I was of the same mind as you thinking mail was sent to a number not a name... But the nice lady also informed me that the mailman didn't have to deliver if there was a car clicking the box, a loose "animal", an unfriendly looking person in the area or for any other reason they feel threatened... So basically they will deliver in any weather but if they feel threatened in any way you don't get your mail.
Old 10-09-2012, 13:03   #23
SGT HATRED

But this is a"cluster"box not a single box...
Old 10-09-2012, 13:07   #24
billkill

Shortly after I installed a new mailbox, our last name was written on the inside of the door...it does not help as we still get the neighbor's mail occasionally
billkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 13:13   #25
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Why do they need a name?

GOOD question!
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote