GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:50   #51
walt cowan

tower number 4 and 9 at the maryland house of corrections. 4 got so bad that some of the officers refused to be posted there.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04   #52
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I would argue that Hinduism is an old religion, and there are religions that are older than Judaism and Christianity; however, there was once a time on the earth when there was no religion. There were only the Sons of God, and followers of Cain. That all religions have come about as a confusion about what God is, or in direct rebellion to God.

As to Hindiusm specifically, there really isn't much talk about ghosts as there is in reincarnation.

When there is confusion about what God is, or rebellion to God, there evil reigns.
Here is what I see when reading this thread:

Rabbi asked, "what color is the sky today?"

Kingarthurhk responds, "turn left on Tuesday!"

Last edited by G36's Rule; 10-09-2012 at 07:05..
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22   #53
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
well that ends the debate. Ladies and Gentlemen we have a SCIENTIST here! He plainly knows it all about spirituality, religion, etc., don't question him, he is a scientist!

You don't know everything, and a post like you just made proves it.
I never claimed to know everything. People try to do studies to prove there are ghosts. I even have a colleague who monitors supposedly haunted houses. He comes to me for advice on EM radiation devices. He even publishes papers on it. But from a hard science perspective, he has nothing. No proof. No real evidence.

The science simply doesn't back it up. Now if you want to go to religion and faith, then you can believe whatever you want. That's why my kids believe in easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc...but they're smart enough that they eventually figure out it is BS. Some adults never see through the BS.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27   #54
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

But to each his own.

I support anyone who wants to believe whatever they want. As long as they don't try to push their views on me. However, that is exactly what happens in organized religions. I get people knocking on my door. I get laws passed based on what "God wants." Heck, even for little things like no alcohol sales on Sundays, God's will. And it gets more serious when God is telling our president what to do....and of course telling us what kind of science our children are or are not allowed to learn.

Sorry, but this discussion naturally leads right into religion and politics. Can of worms here.

But again, I'll support anyone's right to believe. Until they push it on me.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03   #55
costanza187
I like Macs

I find it hard to believe, but I have experienced it myself. I also know others who are credible sources who have experienced the same things. Interestingly enough, all of the experiences that I had, and the others I know personally who have had are all tied to one location. None of these people I know personally, no myself have experienced "paranormal" activity outside of a certain house. (yes I have heard many claims, but I am talking about people I personally know as in immediate family).

When I was young, we lived in a house where a tragic event occurred. As a child I remember all sorts of crazy "stuff" happening in our house. My parents also saw and heard many of the same things. We had family come to visit before, and for no apparent reason had their bags packed and could not get out of the house fast enough the next morning. (only to find out later that it was because they experienced some of the things we had been seeing and it scared the living H out of them).

My parents were pretty hardcore skeptics or they would have never bought the house to begin with. They actually told the people to whom they sold the house when we moved about the goings on...they buyers did not care, and pretty much wrote it off as nonsense.

Later on, they were like WOW there is some weird "stuff" going on in this house.

I know science tries to explain everything...maybe there is a scientific explanation for what goes on in a "haunted house". I have heard that maybe high levels of CO can cause hallucinations? However, we lived there a few YEARS and none of us died of CO poisoning. I honestly do not know. I cannot PROVE to you that I experienced these things, but I know what happened. Maybe we were all suffering the effects of some chemical, I don't know. I know what I (and others) experienced....maybe science could explain it, maybe it was ghosts/demons/spirits.

I believe a large amount of paranormal claims are hooey, but I also believe that there are some that are genuinely inexplicable. Are there legit ghosts, demons and spirits etc...? I do not know, but I think it is something that cannot be ruled out.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24   #56
ustate
NRA Member

When I was a lot younger we lived in Virginia (my dad is retired military). We lived in that house from kindergarten until I was in 4th grade which would have been the late 70s, for as long as I could remember I'd see what I considered gray shadows walking around our downstairs, where my bedroom was. I wasn't afraid of them and it didn't seem they even noticed I was there. I'd walk among them to head to the bathroom etc no problem. After my dad was transferred I haven't seen anything since.

About ten years or so ago my brothers and I were all together and we started talking about horror movies and ghosts. The brother I shared that room with mentioned that he'd see silver people walking around the bedroom when we lived in Virginia. That surprised me since I hadn't told anyone about the things I'd seen, he called them silver instead of gray but obviously we were seeing the same thing.

Now I work in a prison and I've heard the ghost stories from inmates and staff about certain areas of the prison. I haven't seen or heard anything but I've talked to quite a few who insist they have.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59   #57
texasglong
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky View Post
I have a female that will say hello to me when I am walking into my carport and sometimes out near the clothsline. No one is around when this happens and it happens at different times. I always answer back but she never responds, other than the hello...

Her voice is a soft wisper and right next to my ear...
You should try to record the voice, It can be done. She may be actually answering you and can only be picked up on a recording device.

Technically speaking, the bullets go inside the bad guy.
texasglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06   #58
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post

my kids believe in easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc...but they're smart enough that they eventually figure out it is BS.
Next you'll be telling us there is no such thing as the Playboy Bunny!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11   #59
mhambi
Hegemon

I visited a ghost town cemetery a few years back... one with lots of infant deaths and even some murders and such. Thought this entry in the guest register was funny...

The Okie Corral

Last edited by mhambi; 10-09-2012 at 10:14..
mhambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39   #60
superhornet

Louisville Glocker---tell me its not true--NO Santa Clause ??
superhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45   #61
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Every culture, around the world, even long before your faith existed, has stories of the supernatural.

So, why are your stories true? (and of course it is based on your very specific faith) Why are their stories not true?
Do you believe in the supernatural?
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01   #62
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

All I can say is that I believe there's "something" to it, although I wouldn't dare even offer a guess as to what "ghosts" really are and what makes them tick.

I've seen some pretty overt paranormal activity firsthand, which makes me something of a believer.

My best friend in high school had a Grandmother who lived in a farmhouse that her late husband had built in the 1950s. Long story short, I spent a weekend there fixing up a barn and working on the roof and got to "meet" her late husband - sort of. We had just gotten through cleaning the kitchen one night after dinner and went into the living room to watch some TV. On the way there I decided to turn around and get a Coke out of the fridge. When I walked back into the kitchen that we had just cleaned seconds before, every cabinet and drawer in the room was wide open.

I was shaken to the core by this, but my friend's Grandma wasn't even phased. She said her late husband, Frank, didn't like strangers much and was just reminding me that it was HIS house.

I agreed with her and told her that Frank could have the place! I never set foot in that house again after that night.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 10-09-2012 at 11:03..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05   #63
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
I never claimed to know everything. People try to do studies to prove there are ghosts. I even have a colleague who monitors supposedly haunted houses. He comes to me for advice on EM radiation devices. He even publishes papers on it. But from a hard science perspective, he has nothing. No proof. No real evidence.

The science simply doesn't back it up. Now if you want to go to religion and faith, then you can believe whatever you want. That's why my kids believe in easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc...but they're smart enough that they eventually figure out it is BS. Some adults never see through the BS.
at 1 point "scientists" jumped up and down swearing that the earth was flat. just because you can't prove something right now dosen't mean it won't ever be proven.

i loathe scientific zealots just as much as i hate religious zealots. everybody needs to knock off the "THIS IS THE WAY IT IS AND THAT'S THE END OF IT!" attitudes.

as human beings we are nothing more than cells that makes up the flea that rides the dog that's living in just 1 yard, so on and so forth.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08   #64
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Personally, I think ghosts are demons.
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08   #65
Zonny

I love this thread!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27   #66
walt cowan

also on the seg. unit, cell e-1-3 was used as a broom closet. had sanitation sink in there that would turn its self on. funny to see how much it spooked officers and inmates alike.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:53   #67
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
Never seen a ghost in the USA, seen quite a few in Europe and the Balkans region.
I go past the local HS some mornings and see a lot of what look like zombies
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 13:26   #68
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
at 1 point "scientists" jumped up and down swearing that the earth was flat. just because you can't prove something right now dosen't mean it won't ever be proven.

i loathe scientific zealots just as much as i hate religious zealots. everybody needs to knock off the "THIS IS THE WAY IT IS AND THAT'S THE END OF IT!" attitudes.

as human beings we are nothing more than cells that makes up the flea that rides the dog that's living in just 1 yard, so on and so forth.
You've got me wrong. Scientists have to be humble. I never claimed to know everything. Our favorite theories can be proven wrong in a single experiment. That's all it takes. Evidence. Real evidence.

A decent scientist is willing to ask tough questions and is willing to accept the results of experiments. We think something is right based on evidence.

And yes, we do believe the evidence. It is completely different than religious zealots who believe the words of some guy on a hill, or the words written in a book that are supposed to be the words of God, whatever God is. Religious zealotry is completely different than science. Sure, we scientists get excited, but it is about experiments that prove or disprove our theories, experiments that can be reproduced and performed by different people all over the world (or maybe even all over the universe).

Totally different. But feel free to loathe us. You might as well loathe the Truth also....and nature....and the universe. We're just trying to examine patterns and figure out the way it behaves.
Old 10-09-2012, 13:36   #69
Dinky
Stalker of tous

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasglong View Post
You should try to record the voice, It can be done. She may be actually answering you and can only be picked up on a recording device.

I have tried that twice with her and got nothing.

I did have have a recording of drawers being opened and closed and paper being moved and an office light turning on and off. This was in an office that I had the only key to and was caught on the security system.
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:22   #70
ocjackel

Ok, here's my ghost story. Actually it's my mom's.

My mom and step dad live in Santa Fe, NM. They have been there about 16 years. 4 times over the last 16 years my mom claims that she has seen, late at night, an older asian man walk down the hallway and then disapear.

She told me that the first time she was pretty freaked out and didn't even wake my step dad and tell him. She evenually just dismissed it as being tired and it being late.

A few years pass and she had completely forgotten about it and it happens again, late night and on her way to bed (my step father was already asleep). Another asian man walks down the hallway and disapears. This time she wakes up my step dad and tells him. He's not sure if he believes her.

After this second incident they did some research on their neiborhood and it turns out that it was built on a site that was a Japanese internment camp during WWII.

She says that 3rd and 4th times she has seen him she has tried to talk to him but has never gotten any response, he seems indifferent or unaware of her.

Last edited by ocjackel; 10-09-2012 at 14:23..
ocjackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:43   #71
SGT HATRED

When I was 11 my parents wanted to move to a certain neighborhood (built in the 50's) so I would attend a better HS. We found a fixer uper that was once a hospice home. It had 2 front doors, 2 kitchens, 4 baths a 5 car garage a basement (more like a root cellar) and 7 bedrooms. There was the owners side separated from the residence side by a large door with deadbolts. One strange thing about one of the rooms on the residence side was that it was in the middle of the house with no windows and a dead bolt that locked from the outside. The room had wood panel walls with blue lanolium (sp) flooring. During our walk through I remember feeling like someone was watching me. Just an all around creepy feeling.

Skip forward a few weeks and my parents found out our offer was declined. Skip forward about 4 months and we find our new house and it's directly behind the creepy house we walked through. Sharing our back fence. The first time I saw the ghost I remember perfectly. It was a saturday morning and I was home alone. I had just gotten out of the shower and the steam was thick since it was winter. As I opened the bathroom door right there in front of me was a man in a blue suite and fedora. I didn't see his face either because of the steam or because he was misty or something like that. As I stumbled backwards and blinked he was gone. I was pretty freaked out but kept it to myself.

With time as any 11 yo boy would do, I started making friends with other children in the neighborhood. And having sleep overs and play dates. Pretty soon I found my best friend who lived across the street. During one sleep over I told him about the man in the blue suite. He then proceeded to inform me how our neighbors house to the rear once had been used as a elderly group home. And how the owners were in jail because the tenants would die but would never reported and the SS checks would keep coming. He told me how they dug up the whole yard looking for bodies (and I remember the holes) but never found any.

I lived there till I was 19. Throughout the years my parents my friends and family all saw the man in the blue suite. Pictures and mirrors fell off walls. The garage door would open and close on it's own. Lights would turn on in they middle of the night. Never did it get to the point of being scarry because this ghost never said anything, just a glimpse here and there. Things falling or turning on where very rare but did happen. I've been out of the house for some time now but my parents still live there and the last time I asked it's been years since any activity. I swear to god himself that this is a true story.

Last edited by SGT HATRED; 10-09-2012 at 14:48..
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:51   #72
Mr. Niceguy

My wife and I lived in a small rental house when we were first married that had poltiergeist type activity. Our guest did not like banannas or loaves of bread anywhere other than neatly lined up on the countertop next to the kitchen sink. We could sit at the kitchen table with our backs to the banannas/bread for a minute or two, and turn around to find them back by the sink again. We'd put them somewhere else and then repeat the process. Repeatedly. It happened with such regularity that we eventually got bored with it.
Mr. Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:56   #73
RonS

If I ever meet a ghost I'll believe in it. I have had one single ESP like event that I cannot explain but it was totally subjective with no possibility of evidence so not much point in discussing it.
Old 10-09-2012, 15:24   #74
cyphertext

Several years ago, we went to the USS Lexington with his Cub Scout Pack. We toured the ship and stayed on board overnight, heard all the ghost stories, etc. Well, the next morning, after we had taken all of our stuff up to the hangar deck from the berthing area, my son wanted to go walk around the ship and take pictures, since there were not any people except our Cub Scout group left. So, we put fresh batteries in his digital camera and headed down into the engine compartment, where "Charlie" supposedly roams.

When we made it down to the engine compartment, the power went out on the ship. The emergency lights came on, so it wasn't pitch black, but it was kinda dark. After a few minutes, one of the tour folks came and yelled down the hatch and asked if anyone was down in the engine compartment. We said we were, and were alone, so he decided to bring the two other people down and show them the engine room too, before guiding us back up to the hangar deck.

Well, as the guide told the story about Charlie and pointed out where he died, my son went to take a picture of the spot....as soon as he turned on the camera and focused on that place on the ship, the batteries lost all power. These were fresh batteries, that we had just put in the camera minutes before. We showed the guide that the camera went dead and he immediately took all of us back up to the hangar deck.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:06   #75
JLA

I don't know if this would be "paranormal" but here goes....

My granddaughters spent the night 3 weeks ago and the next morning my wife heard them in the bedroom talking to each other and giggling. Sometimes they do that. After a while my wife walked in and asked them what they wanted for breakfast. Of course they didn't know. The oldest (6 years) was too interested in watching her hands.

Then she asked my wife (gramma to them)....

*Can you see them?

See what?

*The lights around my hands.

No, what lights?

*The red and white lights. They're playing when they go through my hands. They're funny.

No, I can't see them.

Now, my wife is looking at their hands trying to find a light source...also rubbing her hands. She asked "are they still there?"

*Yeah, just floating around playing.

After a few more minutes they come out of the bedroom and said that they (lights) were gone now. At that point, I am awake and start asking her questions.

Sooo how big were the lights? About the size of my little finger nail?

*No, they were little.

Where did they go? Were they in the room under the bed? Did they go into the closet?

*No, just playing around my hands. Then they left.

I couldn't get much out of her. She just wanted to eat then go outside to play...lol.
The innocence of a child....