Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 21:23   #101
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
"becoming a surgeon or scientist?" You mean choosing to be a medical researcher, a scientist or a MD for the purpose of researching a cure for these conditions?

There's nothing unnatural or wrong with having the knowledge to cure/prevent these things. In fact, knowledge is good. But there's also nothing wrong with people refusing to undergo these vaccinations.

(Or are you saying universal mandatory vaccination?)
You are not staying on message. You dont even know what your arguement is, you just know how you feel. Good luck with that.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:23   #102
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
By that logic, car safety devices should be done away with since people who survive violent wrecks may become "mentally stronger" and instill pride in their children by living a "normal" life in spite of their crippling injuries.
Let's not forget smoking, drinking alcohol to excess or doing drugs. What are you going to do, pass universal laws to prevent everyone to stop doing these things? Because it's good for society?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:24   #103
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Or maybe this, parents may opt out of vaccinations for their children, but if their child subsequently dies from a desease that was preventable through vaccination then then they are fair game for negligent homicide charges. Seems fair to me, if they are so certain they are choosing the correct course then they have nothing to worry about.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:31   #104
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You are not staying on message. You dont even know what your arguement is, you just know how you feel. Good luck with that.
Yes, this is how I feel. Believe it or not, universal vaccination is not a one-size-fits-all solution.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:33   #105
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Or maybe this, parents may opt out of vaccinations for their children, but if their child subsequently dies from a desease that was preventable through vaccination then then they are fair game for negligent homicide charges. Seems fair to me, if they are so certain they are choosing the correct course then they have nothing to worry about.
Interesting. Would the same hold true for Jehovah's Witnesses, Chritian Scientists and Seventh Day Adventists? HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:36   #106
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Yes, this is how I feel. Believe it or not, universal vaccination is not a one-size-fits-all solution.
You still are off message.

Again, the key data point you put on the table. At this point, vaccinations are a detail lost in the noise of you "big picture" thoughts on allowing children to die that we can fix.

Quote:
Unfortunately, not every child is meant to survive to adulthood. Darwin's theory of Survival of the Fittest should not be interfered with.
Focus.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 10-08-2012, 21:38   #107
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
And if a child crossing the street gets hit by a drunk driver, the parents should be responsible because the parents didn't teach the child how to cross the street correctly?

Or if the child turns out to be a really bad person and kills some one, then the parents should charged with murder for bad parenting?

Your child drinks and gets into a DWI accident, killing someone, you should be charged with murder?

Old 10-08-2012, 21:39   #108
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRedneck View Post
He then retorted to a comment about life spans by invoking Methuselah, which is clearly a reactive comment from a religious perspective.
To be fair, the Methuselah reference was actually Glocksanity, not Patchman, but I do agree with your central thesis.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-08-2012 at 21:39..
Old 10-08-2012, 21:41   #109
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
And if a child crossing the street gets hit by a drunk driver, the parents should be responsible because the parents didn't teach the child how to cross the street correctly?

Or if the child turns out to be a really bad person and kills some one, then the parents should charged with murder for bad parenting?

Your child drinks and gets into a DWI accident, killing someone, you should be charged with murder?
Red herrings all, in each instance above someone else is much more directly responsible than the parent (i.e. the drunk driver in the first scenario or the child themself in the second and third).

Old 10-08-2012, 21:42   #110
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Let's not forget smoking, drinking alcohol to excess or doing drugs. What are you going to do, pass universal laws to prevent everyone to stop doing these things? Because it's good for society?
Eh? They DO have laws governing smoking age, minimum age for drinking, DUI laws, automobile safety standards, etc.

Are you advocating removing all of that?

Old 10-08-2012, 21:47   #111
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
You still are off message.

Again, the key data point you put on the table. At this point, vaccinations are a detail lost in the noise of you "big picture" thoughts on allowing children to die that we can fix.

Focus.
Rabbi, focus. The thread is about vaccinated vs unvaccinated children.

My position is, no, children should not be vaccinated against the several diseases. Let nature take it's course.

My "big picture" position is that universal mandatory vaccination should NOT be forced upon families.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-08-2012 at 21:50..
Old 10-08-2012, 21:51   #112
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

My position is, no, children should not be vaccinated against the several diseases. Let nature take it's course.

My "big picture" position is that universal mandatory vaccination should NOT be forced upon family.
No. What you said here is a bigger issue than the vaccine issue.

In your quest for freedom from something, you would advocate the death of children. Your position is not very well thought out.

Quote:
Unfortunately, not every child is meant to survive to adulthood. Darwin's theory of Survival of the Fittest should not be interfered with.

Old 10-08-2012, 21:53   #113
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Red herrings all, in each instance above someone else is much more directly responsible than the parent (i.e. the drunk driver in the first scenario or the child themself in the second and third).
Bad parenting is contributory negligence in all three cases.

Old 10-08-2012, 21:54   #114
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Ok, good. Then you agree that your tangential analogies about smoking, drinking, drug abuse, DUI, and other types of criminal behavior are all moot side topics with no real purpose other than to obfuscate the fact that you have no coherent thought to put forward on this topic other than your vague notion of what "feels" right.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-08-2012 at 21:55..
Old 10-08-2012, 21:56   #115
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
A child getting hit by a drunk driver while crossing the street is, "bad parenting?" OK, you win. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:57   #116
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
No. What you said here is a bigger issue than the vaccine issue.

In your quest for freedom from something, you would advocate the death of children. Your position is not very well thought out.
No, Rabbi, you've mis-reading my posts. My posts are a reply to the thread's topic: vaccination or no vaccination for children.

Old 10-08-2012, 21:59   #117
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
I see you've chosen to continue the fight. Bravo, sir.

Are you now also a legal scholar? Because I've never heard of a single case where the charge was "bad parenting contributory negligence." Can you cite a source?
Old 10-08-2012, 22:04   #118
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
I see you've chosen to continue the fight. Bravo, sir.

Are you now also a legal scholar? Because I've never heard of a single case where the charge was "bad parenting contributory negligence." Can you cite a source?
My point exactly. My post you're referring to was in response to post 103, which said that if a parent refuses to vaccinate a child, and the child dies, then the parent is guilty of negligent homicide.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-08-2012 at 22:07..
Old 10-08-2012, 22:05   #119
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Should we also eschew asthma medication, corrected vision, antibiotics, ... for our children (and ourselves) since those also circumvent environmental pressures for natural selection?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:09   #120
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
My point exactly. My post you're referring to was in response to the other post which said that if a parent refuses to vaccinate a child, and the child dies, then the parent is guilty of homicide.
I said negligent homicide, and it wouldn't be the result of "bad parenting" in the same manner as your other examples (all of which were at least one level removed), but rather from denying their child an obvious life saving medical procedure (direct inaction).

But back to my last point, are we staying on the topic of vaccinations or are we taking side trips down every "what if" scenario you can think of? Or option three (your apparent choice) where you can take as many tangents as you like, but you expect all of us to confine ourselves explicitly to vaccinations?

Last edited by Geko45; 10-09-2012 at 06:57..
Old 10-08-2012, 22:12   #121
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Should we also eschew asthma medication, corrected vision, antibiotics, ... for our children (and ourselves) since those also circumvent environmental pressures for natural selection?

-ArtificialGrape
How strongly do you believe in the theory of natural selection?

Old 10-08-2012, 22:14   #122
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
No, Rabbi, you've mis-reading my posts. My posts are a reply to the thread's topic: vaccination or no vaccination for children.
No, nothing else matters until you deal with this, you said it.

Quote:

Old 10-08-2012, 22:16   #123
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
I said negligent homicide, and it wouldn't be the result of "bad parenting" in the same manner as your other examples (all of which were at least one level removed), but rather from denying their child on obvious life saving medical procedure (direct inaction).

But back to my last point, are we staying on the topic of vaccinations or are we taking side trips down every "what if" scenario you can think of? Or option three (your apparent choice) where you can take as many tangents as you like, but you expect all of us to confine ourselves explicitly to vaccinations?
My posts have always been about vaccinations. It's everyone else who jumped on about everything "what ifs."

Old 10-08-2012, 22:19   #124
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
No, nothing else matters until you deal with this, you said it.
Yes, vaccinations should not be mandatory because not every child is meant to survive to adulthood. Darwin's theory should not be interfered with.

Does it sound cold and heartless? Yes. Do I believe it? Yes.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-08-2012 at 22:20..
Old 10-08-2012, 22:21   #125
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
My posts have always been about vaccinations. It's everyone else who jumped on about everything "what ifs."
Where did I mention any "what ifs" before you introduced these tangent scenarios?

Quote:
Quote: