SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 14:22   #1
THEPOPE
Nibb

back-logs on firearms

New rant ( go figure) ...WHY do firearm manufacturers spend millions on ads testifying to the attributes of the latest firearms, and the consumer then can't find one to buy...because they didn't make enough of them to satisfy the demand, not even close....

Example : Ruger 10/22 take-down rifle...would love to find ONE locally, but, alas, no go within 50 miles of here, maybe more, no doubt....( took 6 months, and great effort to get the STI I bought several years ago, finally found one in Phoenix area, had it sent here...)

Rant over, I feel better, but still no rifle....I'm on a 'list' now, looooong list.....may never see it...

calling the next shiny object, come in, please...over....I am Out....

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:32   #2
ray9898

You can only make them so fast. A popular new release gets sucked up as fast as you can make them. Over time stock gets built up.

Last edited by ray9898; 10-07-2012 at 14:33..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:59   #3
THEPOPE
Nibb

While I realize this is a very minor complaint in these times, it is still aggravating , and I also know I could MAYBE find one on line, many goods are sold this way, creating sorta a false 'demand' for the product...still, dammit, I guess I want instant gratification , I am a spoiled and ugly American, been trained all my years for this....lol...

I am outch, er OUT...

Old 10-07-2012, 15:39   #4
Never Nervous

Been waiting on a Sub2000 since March at my LGS.

NN
Old 10-07-2012, 19:43   #5
RYT 2BER

Well you could just mail order one and transfer it from the more than 30 on gunbroker right now... But why do that?

What is this fascination with "locally"???
Old 10-07-2012, 19:49   #6
GlockinNJ

Right. If your desire to own one is matched with dollars, you'd own one today.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:24   #7
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
I've been waiting on Ruger to release the SR22 with a factory threaded barrel.

You'd think this would be pretty damned easy for Ruger to release; however, it's still not in production.

Stupid. Stupid Ruger!

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:53   #8
THEPOPE
Nibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Well you could just mail order one and transfer it from the more than 30 on gunbroker right now... But why do that?

When it comes to some things, like firearms, I tend to want to touch and operate one before the transferring of money to seller...not to mention that I would love to help support locals in the trade.

Y'all know it's true, ( nothing against Ruger, many companies do this very thing...) ... companies advertise the crap endlessly of a product that they fall amazingly short on the production of...after all this is a (fairly) simple 10/22, not the high-end sniper-rifle-of-the-hour that'll hit a gnats nutz at 1.5 miles away.

I know how acquire one on-line, but I question the savvy of being behind the production curve in a business sense...but maybe it's on purpose, to create a demand, or a want to own said product.

yep, out I am...

Old 10-08-2012, 01:21   #9
dre23

When it comes to manufacturing any product it is a bit of a crap shoot. Make to many up front and then doesn't and sits on the shelfs per se, or not enough and then you can;t seem to make them fast enough go figure.
dre23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56   #10
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
I've been waiting on Ruger to release the SR22 with a factory threaded barrel.

You'd think this would be pretty damned easy for Ruger to release; however, it's still not in production.

Stupid. Stupid Ruger!
LOL. Stupid Ruger? Interesting considering how successful they have been. Ruger makes great guns, but sometimes you have to wait a bit. I am on a waiting list for the 10-22 takedown at my local gunshop and can get the gun at a lower price than online. I am content.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:59   #11
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre23 View Post
When it comes to manufacturing any product it is a bit of a crap shoot. Make to many up front and then doesn't and sits on the shelfs per se, or not enough and then you can;t seem to make them fast enough go figure.

I think before Ruger brings a gun to market they anticipate the demand and have a pretty large number on hand. With a really popular gun such as the 10-22 takedown or the SR1911, the demand was so high they fell behind.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03   #12
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:

Im the same way, I won't buy online. If I can't find local I just don't get it

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01   #13
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

I know you're rant is in jest, but I want to respond to this anyway.

You don't understand advertising. The ads you see in gunrags and on Web sites are more branding tools than "sales" tools. They reinforce the image that the company is dependable, reliable, etc.

Their secondary goal is to promote the benefits of the weapon and what sets it apart from the competition. If there is no competition and this is truely a new project, it serves to educate how the product works.

Finally - adveritising, marketing and sales are not exact sciences. The best campaign in the world can be built around a lemon and basically waste the company's money. Alternatively, some people understanding that said product is a lemon may turn the product into a "cult" status item. There are plenty of people who purchase things, ironicaly, not because they are great but because they are fringe, oddball items.

A campaign is usually drafted one to three years before product release, with ads debuting 3-6 months before product release. Ads are then flighted differently depending on how you want to sell the product (is it something seasonal like a hunting rifle, or "ever-green" like a self defense pistol?).

To answer your question of "why do they keep advertising when they cannot fulfill demand?" - Because you want to keep demand high. For every person waiting on a list to get said product, there are two or three people who haven't even heard of the product. Not to mention that you buy ad space very, very far in advance (and usually in bulk to keep cost per unit down).

Now that my rant is over, let me say that it might be a regional issue - at the last gunshow I was at I saw six different Ruger Takedowns, all reasonably priced. Plus, look at it on the bright side - having a hard time finding a weapon is a good thing.That means more people are entering the sport.

But I sympathize - I was shopping last night and couldnt find two different guns that I had decided I wanted to buy myself for Christmas.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:59   #14
Never Nervous

Quote:

I paid $230 in my lgs. Gunbroker wants $500. I can wait.

NN
Old 10-08-2012, 17:11   #15
THEPOPE
Nibb

Interesting replies, some good points to ponder whilst I wait...

LSUAdman appears to know how the advertising end works, I agree, it's a crap-shoot at best, for companies to anticipate the return from ad dollars...and name recognition is paramount import to them, it means more bucks.

( case in point, I hadda have an American made Stratocaster....man did I pay for that name Fender..lol..)

I will search a bit more in this area before I extend the circle to Indy or beyond.

I WILL have one, someday...

'til then, Ime Out...

Old 10-08-2012, 18:08   #16
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPOPE View Post

'til then, Ime Out...

Without a doubt! It's a new product - once the heat dies down on them, they'll be at every Academy and Gunshop around I am betting.

They look really nice - the bag is worth it almost by itself. I'm very tempted to grab one next year.

Think of it this way - at least it isnt a Keltec. People have been on lists for months for those KSG and RFBs they sell. I've only seen one KSG and a handful of RFBs!
Old 10-08-2012, 20:21   #17
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Nervous View Post
I paid $230 in my lgs. Gunbroker wants $500. I can wait.

NN
For what gun?? The ruger 10/22 takedown? If you think it's $500 on gunbroker you need some immediate help
Old 10-08-2012, 20:36   #18
RYT 2BER

Quote:

Example : Ruger 10/22 take-down rifle...would love to find ONE locally, but, alas, no go within 50 miles of here, maybe more, no doubt....

Rant over, I feel better, but still no rifle....I'm on a 'list' now, looooong list.....may never see it...

:
Quote:
I could MAYBE (really?? Maybe??) find one on line, many goods are sold this way, :
Quote:

NN
Quote:
When it comes to some things, like firearms, I tend to want to touch and operate one before the transferring of money to seller...not to mention that I would love to help support locals in the trade.

I know how acquire one on-line,

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Im the same way, I won't buy online. If I can't find local I just don't get it
Quote:
Interesting replies, some good points to ponder whilst I wait...

I will search a bit more in this area before I extend the circle to Indy or beyond.

:

Feel free to do whatever you want... But lemme tell you what this slew of crap above quoted translates to in English:

"I just don't really want one"

Oh yeah... Before I forget ... now "I" am OUT
Old 10-08-2012, 20:42   #19
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychman View Post
LOL. Stupid Ruger? Interesting considering how successful they have been.
I understand that. I still have the right to call them stupid if I want.

Why has the SR22 been out for nearly a year and include in the instructions reference to the threaded barrel -- YET NOT PRODUCE IT?

That's why I call them stupid.

It's still a stupid practice, IMHO. Profitable, yes. But stupid to print what you don't have in production.

Hey -- I can turn pine bark ash into a viable alternative fuel source! Want some? Well...just wait a few years, please.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)

Last edited by USMCsilver; 10-08-2012 at 20:43..
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:01   #20
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

NN
I have them all. How bad do you want one?
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:06   #21
podwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
I understand that. I still have the right to call them stupid if I want.

Why has the SR22 been out for nearly a year and include in the instructions reference to the threaded barrel -- YET NOT PRODUCE IT?

That's why I call them stupid.

It's still a stupid practice, IMHO. Profitable, yes. But stupid to print what you don't have in production.

Hey -- I can turn pine bark ash into a viable alternative fuel source! Want some? Well...just wait a few years, please.
SR22 pistol or rifle? The rifle exists with a threaded barrel.

There are a few versions of the 22/45 with a threaded barrel if you're interested. I picked up the 22/45 Lite.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:20   #22
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

When a new item comes out, it is virtually impossible to get it due to the demand. I remember when Taurus came out with the .45 long cost/.410 revolver. Good luck in getting one. Also, when the XD's were first introduced, the same thing.

Remember when the Ruger LCP came out. Good luck on getting one, let alone finding reasonable priced .380 ammunition.

Ruger is attempting to appeal to people who want a familiar rifle in a BOB. There are a lot of people like that out there right now.

Now, factor in the following considerations for all firearms:
1. Christmas is comming.
2. It's hunting season.
3. We are on the verge of an election.

Guns are going to be back logged, pure and simple.
Old 10-08-2012, 22:26   #23
THEPOPE
Nibb

Quote:
Feel free to do whatever you want... But lemme tell you what this slew of crap above quoted translates to in English:

"I just don't really want one"

Oh yeah... Before I forget ... now "I" am OUT

Didn't mean to twist yer tit...later...

emmout fer sher...

Old 10-08-2012, 23:11   #24
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Cool your jets there buddy! It's election year. You aren't going to be able to find squat for a long time. Even longer if dumbo gets reelected.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38   #25
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychman View Post
LOL. Stupid Ruger? Interesting considering how successful they have been. Ruger makes great guns, but sometimes you have to wait a bit. I am on a waiting list for the 10-22 takedown at my local gunshop and can get the gun at a lower price than online. I am content.
I would say they make ok guns. I have 3 and only the 1986 Blackhawk needed no tweeking to be 100%. It's also one out of 20 I handled that had a perfect trigger with no creep. That's why I bought it to be honest. The '86 was new in box that sat in a safe for years. Both my 10-22 International and Charger needed a better aftermarket extractor to be 100% with all ammo and an aftermarket hammer for a better trigger pull on both. That is just crazy and only a few bucks for a perfect product. I have yet to find a good trigger on any of their bolt rifles including the latest offerings. How hard can that be. I was all set to buy a new LH 308 Scout until I dry fired it and handled the magazine....terrible and sub par magazine. Both would cost a few bucks to correct at the factory. Just handled a nice Ruger 1911 but the Mim parts were rough and now know why it's $600. I have not handled their AR-15 yet so it may be ok.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote