Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01   #1
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
44 Days -- Progress Report

For those who have decided it was time to lose some weight, congrats.

I just wanted to give a progress report.

First off, before doing that, I just wanted to share that I've found the joy of egg whites. You don't need the yolk to have decent eggs; I've been wrong all these years.

Breakfast was 1 cup of raw spinich, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup diced onion, 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 tbsp of Pompeian EVOO. All this was scrambled and was 269 calories, 15 grams of protein, 18 grams of fat.

Anyway...

4/x I was ~217.
8/23 I was 211.
10/8 I am 193.

On 8/23 was when I decided it was time to make a change in my lifestyle. It was a damned good choice.

One notch in the belt has been cinched up, and one link outta the watch has been removed. Progress!

For those who have not seen some of my recent posts, the gist of my plan are this:
  • no bread
  • no flour
  • no grains
  • no noodles
  • no rice
  • no potatoes
  • no refined/processed sugar
  • no dairy
Some think this is nearly impossible, but IT IS NOT. You just have to eat smart and be creative. Fresh veggies, fish, chicken, eggs, lean beef, & wild game (boar/deer), and fresh fruit is the key.

Anyway -- I just wanted to share where I am right now in my journey!

Good luck to those who have made the decision to get healthy! Remember -- the older you are, the harder it is to lose weight. I use my child as my motivation. I want to live to be old and to enjoy our time together. If you look in the mirror, and are unhappy with yourself, then it's time for a lifestyle change. If I can do it, then anyone can.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)

Last edited by USMCsilver; 10-08-2012 at 09:11..
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29   #2
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

Sterling

Congrats on the weight loss!

But if I gave up the foods on your list, I wouldn't have to worry about weight loss. I would be dead!!

I grew up country. To give up bread and biskits is just un-American!
Taters, rice, pasta. And to live without my skim milk is unfathomable!

Now that I see the diet, I kinda like being fat.

I never intended on getting on your bad side before you became leaner and meaner. You are one tough Marine, ya know!!

Talk about a backhanded compliment! I am happy for you and the Missus too, though!

Congrats again.

Now your customers will be able to see the refrigerator you are standing in front of!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:00   #3
lwt210

I did pretty much the same diet except for the dairy.

I cheat once a week and can maintain pretty closet to my target weight. Some pizza, some biscuits, some cheesecake......got to have em every now and then.

My deal was mostly for triglycerides. Mine were at 600 plus. Four weeks later after starting a similar diet, they were 140.

Good luck and stick with it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33   #4
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Ok. I guess I am going to have to be the turd in the punch bowl...

So...the same kid that was going to completely and totally ruin and wreck your life...is the same kid so far who has

• Given you a brighter perspective on life
  • Brought a lot of joy to your life
  • Made you a better husband, and brought out the great parent in you
  • Is now possibly extending and enhancing your life, due to your healthier outlook and diet?
  • Has brought you boat loads of fun, and the keen, inquisitive, delightful perspective that only a child can bring?

Did I miss any?

Did we not tell you that kids are GREAT??!??!

Congrats on the weight loss. One of the benefits of being on the normal side of the chart (compared to obese or even overweight) is that there is more blood available to the male sexual reproductive organ, resulting in more turgid presentations of that member.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:14   #5
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockrod View Post
Congrats on the weight loss!

Now your customers will be able to see the refrigerator you are standing in front of!
Bite me, *******!

Have you seen Ami recently? Down 30-35lbs., I think. Hell, I dunno any more. I just know she keeps buying clothes that fit.

Oh, and thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Ok. I guess I am going to have to be the turd in the punch bowl...
Sometimes I really have a disdain for some folks on here who have a better memory than I have.

He's a fortunate little **** to have me as a father. I'll leave it as that. LOL!

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
Old 10-08-2012, 15:57   #6
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

Sterling

I know it didnt really show in my first post, but I am a little jealous that you have been able to lose weight.

Moreso, that you have the willpower to do it.

My life is just hectic. I eat out(junk food) way more than I should, but I have a hard time making my life fit a schedule that accomodates a diet. Plus eating healty is just downright pricey, and I have to admit that I am a cheapskate.

Like just now, I find more reasons not to be healthy and lose weight than have any willingness to try.

I have been 6'1", 240-250 lbs since you have known me for 12+ years. I am not fat, just not as healthy as I should be.

Sat in a waiting room Saturday morning with this guy that made me look small(350-400+lbs). Mouth breathing, gross fella with that weird belly roll below the belt that has not seen that belt or even his shoes in years. Dont let me be that guy! I give you permission to kick my butt if I even come close.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:31   #7
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Silver,

I have no doubts that you are a seriously great dad.

- G
Old 10-08-2012, 17:05   #8
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Rod -- I used to think the same thing. However, once I realized how many calories my body needed vs. what I consumed, a light bulb went off.

I have excess "storage" and that needs to be disappeared; plain and simple.

I used to give myself the same excuses about "time" and "fast food" and all that other horse****. But guess what -- canned chicken or canned tuna is pretty damned fast and convenient. It's still easier to make an excuse and hand over your debit card at a drive-thru, I'm not going to say it isn't.

However, my excuse for visiting a drive-thru four times in the past 44 days has been the same -- I was lazy. The 1st time consisted of 1,600 calories in a mere two burgers at Sonic. Guess what, that changed my tune. The last three were Taco Bell's Drive Through Diet; each time, I got a Chicken Fresco Burrito Supreme. 340 calories and $3.73 after tax.

Anyway, I'm not bein' hard on ya, I'm just saying it's easy. However, I know you, and your family. It would be HARD to do as I'm doing; I know that...

I'm done preaching. I gotta get off my soapbox anyways. I'm being a bad, BAD, BAD boy tonight. I feel kinda guilty, but I'm celebrating. I'd been at a wall at 198 and finally saw 193, so I say "F" the scales for a day or three!

Gallium -- Thanks bro. I'm the best I know how to be, which isn't saying much since I didn't have a very good father figure. However, everyone thinks I'm awesome so I must be doing something correctly. Not to mention, the kid prefers me over Mom, so...well...yeah...

Old 10-08-2012, 17:44   #9
jtull7
CLM Number 289
Pistolero

Good for you, USMCsilver.

I have lost 50 pounds in the last 10 months. My diet was not very sophisticated:

I ate less.
I drank less.
At least three times a week I went to bed without dinner.

As I am a diabetic, my regular diet didn't include fast food, sugars, processed food, or colas, etc., to begin with.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:53   #10
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
I have lost 50 pounds in the last 10 months.
The plague doesn't count, there smartie pants.

(Just kidding! Very awesome, John!)

It really ain't too hard if you try. That's all I'm trying to convey.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:26   #11
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Looks like I'm slowing down quite a bit. Might be about time to increase activity, or just accept a 1lb./week loss.

192 and counting (backwards).

Old 10-14-2012, 12:00   #12
tarpleyg

Losing weight isn't rocket science and you don't have to give up all that food or become a gym rat. Eat less than you burn off...that's all it takes.

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:54   #13
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
Sometimes I really have a disdain for some folks on here who have a better memory than I have.

He's a fortunate little **** to have me as a father. I'll leave it as that. LOL!
I recall all your bellyaching about selling your Z and your bike, how terrible your life was going to be and how your life was essentially over now that you have a kid. Now he's your motivation for doing whatever you can to make your life better. Funny how things change, isn't it?

Congrats on your weight loss. I'm plateau'd at 340 at the moment. If I drop another 50-75 lbs i'll be an extremely happy camper!
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:46   #14
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Looks like I'm slowing down quite a bit. Might be about time to increase activity, or just accept a 1lb./week loss.

192 and counting (backwards).

Yes. Now the real work begins. You will now HAVE TO increase activity, as you are already running a lean diet.
The funny thing with increasing activity is, you will get hungrier more often (stomach hunger), and at times you will experience cellular hunger (body way of saying FEED ME). Pay attention to your body, and pay attention to what you eat - you should be fine.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20   #15
possumkiller

Been trying to lose too. I joined the gym 2 weeks ago and got into the weight loss program there and have been working out every day but two. Started at 236 and was down to 228 Friday. No sweets, sugary drinks, caffiene, fried foods, etc. They were really adamant about caffiene. Anything that was beef is now turkey. All servings of meat are around 4oz. I used to think a 12oz steak was a little small. I can't believe all the stuff I was eating daily. I couldn't quite resist movie popcorn the other night but I did drink water instead of coke.

Last edited by possumkiller; 10-15-2012 at 01:23..
possumkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38   #16
Detectorist

Congratulations!

Are you the Vet who is confined to a wheelchair?

I've been having success too, with a low carb diet. Today i broke 230lbs for the first time in 15 years.

This week for some reason, I've been craving chocolate...

I no longer have to take blood pressure medication or diabetes pills. I feel much better. I do need to exercise more, though.

Last night i finally touched the weights. The first weight training session in 2 months, maybe.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24   #17
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Great news Sterling.
I remember your post eluded to by others, and am glad you are enjoying fatherhood - it's the best thing in the world.

I've been on and off losing weight for the past two years, and it's the same as you - as your child grows you want to be there and play just as hard as they do. Even at this young age.

For me it's all about portion control. I work out every day - 30-40 minutes on the bike two-three times a week, weights two-three times a week and yoga at least once a week.

While I would do all this, I could never lose a pound. Part of it was that I hate to waste - I was raised in a military family and we always finished out plate (cause if we didnt, someone else would!). To this day I can't stand to see a plate with food still on it - it has to be finished.

I'm better now - when I have rice, I dont make a big heaping pile. I put it in a small cup and that's all I can have with that meal. Same goes with other meals - I take no bigger than a fist sized portion and save the rest for lunch in the morning. I'm not wasting since I'll still eat it. Plus we plan out our food for the week. While at the store I make sure I have something to cook for each night, knowing that some will be left overs for the next day.

This results in us only going to restaurants once a week (at best) but you're saving money, eating better and losing weight.

I look damned great right now at 180 - but just can't lose that last, stubborn ten pounds. The holidays are always rough - time to suck it up and stick to the plans!
Old 10-19-2012, 21:27   #18
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

I'm consuming my first Coke & rum tonight for the 1st time in 56 days.

Not as good as I remembered it, but is still nice for a change.

191 and counting (backwards)... EDIT: oh, and down another notch in the belt; two down so far. ONE MORE to go.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 10-19-2012 at 21:28..
Old 10-19-2012, 21:37   #19
Detectorist

Quote:
I'm consuming my first Coke & rum tonight for the 1st time in 56 days.

Not as good as I remembered it, but is still nice for a change.

191 and counting (backwards)... EDIT: oh, and down another notch in the belt; two down so far. ONE MORE to go.
In Spanish that drink is referred to as a 'Cubalibre' - free Cuba.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 21:45   #20
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
In Spanish that drink is referred to as a 'Cubalibre' - free Cuba.
¡Si, sé que! Perro pensamiento necessito un lima para este.

EDIT: my Spanish is rusty, but yeah...a fairly common drink.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 10-19-2012 at 21:49..