GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:34   #26
billkill

<------ does not know anyone who, at the end of their life said: "Damn, I wish I would have worked all of those extra hours instead of spending time with my family doing___"
billkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38   #27
1-2man
Part Time

Vacation? What is that???
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17   #28
RSJJTJ

I hear minimum wage jobs are extremely flexible with hours and days off! Heck, I bet they would allow you an entire week off with a mear shrug of the shoulders. Perhaps your company sees you as an employee who was hired to do a job. I grew up in western Ny where the 1st day of hunting and fishing season were considered holidays. That didn't translate to "everyone gets a free pass for hobby day". Sure you can "supplement" your winter food supply with a freezer full of deer, but from the sounds of it I would say you'd survive without it. Keep the job, your daughter should understand. Won't be her first disappointment or her last, it's life.
Springfield loaded 1911

Last edited by RSJJTJ; 10-08-2012 at 12:19..
RSJJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:30   #29
iiibbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkill View Post
<------ does not know anyone who, at the end of their life said: "Damn, I wish I would have worked all of those extra hours instead of spending time with my family doing___"
That's because you haven't made friends friends with people who are about to die of exposure under a bridge because they can't hold a job.

I've missed the last 2 hunting seasons because of work and family issues; make do.
Jude 1:10 "But these people scoff at things they do not understand. Like unthinking animals, they do whatever their instincts tell them, and so they bring about their own destruction."

Last edited by iiibbb; 10-08-2012 at 12:31..
iiibbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47   #30
mhill

If you want to remain employed I would cancel the vacation. However you have 4 weeks of vacation left. I'd schedule the other 4 weeks till the end of the year. 2 in Nov. 2 in Dec. Might as well take your alloted vacation since they aren't going out of their way for you. If that doesn't work start taking ever Friday off.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:49   #31
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

OP,

I don't think you have put everything on the table in complete perspective. Often times (I am plenty guilty of this) I make emotional decisions because I am thinking of "the kids". (the macro variation is, "It's for the children!"). Funny this is, kids are far more resilient than adults. Explain to THE CHILD what happened, and what the ramifications are for not doing this. Make all of your life "disappointments" more of learning experiences that let downs.

Do this thing with the new client, and take all of your lawful vacation time before you lose it, if they won't roll it over into the next year.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54   #32
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I'd go talk to her, and see if you can't take the first half, or the last half of the week off, and make it a short season with your daughter.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:02   #33
HoldHard

Once the new client is up and running smoothly take December off.

HH
Old 10-08-2012, 13:04   #34
SMOKEin

Quote:
That's a fun quote to use, but how many people collecting unemployment run around saying "boy I'm sure glad I went hunting for the week".
Old 10-08-2012, 13:18   #35
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWyandotte View Post
My boss's boss is heartless.
We picked up a large account and she pulled any scheduled vacations until it opens. There are 20 in our mgt group, nobody has a scheduled vacation except me- scheduled since January.
The account opens 11/5.

I take 1 vacation in the summer, 1 in the fall; I usually lose time I accrue as it doens't roll over. I have 5 weeks a year, usually can only use 3 as there's always a reason why I'm needed.
I have assisted in the opening of every account in my 13 years with the company.

She is attempting to pull my deer hunting vacation, which begins 11/3. It will (or would have been) the first year I take my daughter. She has looked forward to this for years. She's taken firearms safety, got a new rifle and it looks like I'm going to have to give her horrid news.
Where I live deer hunting is a way of life and a supplement to how we feed our family through the winter.
My bioch high level boss could care less.

I appreciate any serious advice. "You're lucky you have a job" doesn't help me. I have written her an email, laid out my continued commitment to our company and she hasn't even acknowledged my request to take my approved vacation.
I would schedule the first available week now and try to re-schedule the hunting trip.

Also check your employee manual (if your company has one) to see if there is a policy for this.

If you have annual performance reviews, mention it during the time when you get to gripe at your boss (even though it's their boss' decision).

If you are doing a new installation I can see why they are wanting you to not be out, though it still sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:20   #36
Powers77

If it can't be worked out, plan something else with your daughter. The time together is more important than the specific activity.
Consider the both of you taking up bow hunting. In most states that really opens up you deer hunting season and by the way once you do it you will be hooked. May need a cross bow for her.
Like you, I'm fortunate that I have a fair amount of vacation time. But, I also have a demanding job that usually has a lot of last minute stuff come up. I end up taking a lot of 4-5 day weekends to use up my time. Actually kind of like it, as it gives me a needed break and I don't come back to the avalanche of emails etc... that pile up when I take a week or more off at once.
Powers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:47   #37
F350

Someone in your position can possibly do some damage; bide your time, when you see your opportunity SCREW HER OVER!!!
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:08   #38
Con43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
You are lucky to have a job.

....and 5 weeks of vacation

You sir are a tool
Con43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:25   #39
HoldHard

How about working remotely to support the client? A cell phone, notebook computer and a 4G wireless card gets me online as long as there is coverage.

HH
Old 10-08-2012, 14:57   #40
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
Someone in your position can possibly do some damage; bide your time, when you see your opportunity SCREW HER OVER!!!
Yep... Stick it deep and when it stops, push for a lil bit more.....
Old 10-08-2012, 15:03   #41
Keoking

Quote:
<--- Sees plenty of people on the news who don't really want their kids to be better off then they were.
<--- Grew up poor but had parents who sacrificed a lot to give him opportunities to get ahead.
<--- Is willing to forego fancy vacations for the rest of his life to try to guarantee an easier life for his wife and kid 10, 20, 30 years from now.
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:07   #42
bmoore

Get out of the private sector. You will probably take a pay cut but you will not be at the wrath of some goofball who just cares about greenbacks (in their pocket not yours). Ok private sector guys lets hear it............lets hear about how hard you work banging out those 9-5'ers monday-friday. Tell me how hard you guys work and how I just walk to the mailbox every two weeks and make like 540K a month.

Last edited by bmoore; 10-08-2012 at 15:18..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:13   #43
Shinesintx

Quit the job and go hunting.

Get a job with the Post Office or American Airlines. Maybe you should consider moving to the San Jose area and work for Solyndra?
Old 10-08-2012, 15:25   #44
RCP

Wish I had problems like this, in my field I'm luck to have Christmas Day off.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:48   #45
Unk

Face it, she hates your guts..her policy applies to...YOU. If you were sick or God forbid died, the new account would be serviced. Curious if precedents on vacation cancellations..are vacations routinely cancelled [or re-scheduled] for the companies convenience which is not the same as a managers convenience.

You mention only able to take 3 weeks of the 5 you are entitled to..are you paid for the vacation not taken..or can you accrue earned but unused vacation to be paid [cashed out] at your option?

My experience has been that managers who preach deferred gratification seldom practice it.

'splain the facts to your daughter, then do your job for the family and set up a special Father-Daughter activity that will help her know how special she is to you.

Curious how you feel this manager usually treats you and your peers...may be over her head and under pressures of which you are unaware...someone higher in her food chain TOLD her what to do.

Best.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:21   #46
Bruce H

Does your bosses boss know anything about your business or is she just another management tool?
Old 10-08-2012, 17:52   #47
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Does your bosses boss know anything about your business or is she just another management tool?
She is sharp and knows our business, but like all in her position, she literally could not do any job her subordinates do daily. I find this amazing. I can and do help my employees in every capacity and pride myself on no job being "beneath" me.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:36   #48
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Your boss's boss is boss. You are the only one w/ a vacation issue. Reschedule the deer hunt. Explain it to your daughter.

I hope your daughter is not seeing you pout about this.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:50   #49
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I hope your daughter is not seeing you pout about this.
No she's not........but yours is.....

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:02   #50
wrenrj1

Your words: "She is attempting to pull my deer hunting vacation, which begins 11/3".

Bottom line, can she pull it? If not don't worry about it, but be aware of consequences, whether right or wrong. What do your employee policies say?