Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 18:32   #26
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I use an Nd:Yag laser.
For welding targets??? Sure that sounds reasonable.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:51   #27
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I use an Nd:Yag laser.
Would a laser pointer work?
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:58   #28
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Get a guy that knows how to weld and pay him a few bucks.

Or you can try to weld yourself and have bad fusion with the target coming off after the first couple of rounds, or you can go blind with arch flash, or burn yourself, or shock yourself to death.
Old 10-07-2012, 19:17   #29
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

I would avoid the Harbor Freight welders,........Pure junk.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:36   #30
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

https://www.quikreg.com/classreg/cat...0UMRIS9J6CPJL0
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:37   #31
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I would avoid the Harbor Freight welders,........Pure junk.
I'm probably a bigger brand snob than most on this forum. I truly believe you get what you pay for and buy once cry once. But I've had really good luck with cheap HF stuff in the past.

And for me $89 for a welder ain't nothing. My electricity bill if over three times that. My last water bill was $250. My cable bill is $200. I spent $120 in a bar the other night.

If this $89 welder breaks next week I won't feel mad. For me it was worth the price just to mess around with something new in the garage today.

If welding is something I enjoy I'll buy a better one.

Last edited by XDRoX; 10-07-2012 at 19:39..
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:47   #32
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

To weld steel, the rule of thumb for welder capacity is 1 Ampere for each mil (0.001") of thickness of the steel you are going to weld. You may get things to "stick" with less, but not reliably.

ARC is least investment (just buy a few rods) but also requires some practice to get a good bead. Many different rods to make it easier, "Jet rod" for example. I can't ARC weld to save my ass.

MIG with "Flux core wire" is the easiest to use, but the price will go up fast if you want to keep it for other jobs. Also Flux core is very difficult for thin steel.

MIG with gas is more expensive but more versatile. (Mine is 250 AMP)

I have TIG too, but forget it too expensive and overkill. (Mine is 200 AMP)

Welding as with any other skill, you have to jump in with great confidence, and it is easier.

With your own equipment, sure you can do it. Also, check metal scrap yards for "cutoffs and cut-outs" for targets, will be cheaper.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:52   #33
Inyo Tim
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
If this $89 welder breaks next week I won't feel mad. For me it was worth the price just to mess around with something new in the garage today.

If welding is something I enjoy I'll buy a better one.
I don't think you will enjoy trying to learn to weld with an $89 welding machine. To me it would be like trying to learn how to play guitar on the cheapest one you could find. It will be a tough row to hoe.

Last edited by Inyo Tim; 10-07-2012 at 19:53..
Inyo Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:55   #34
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

ROP is a pretty cool program out in El Cajon.

Do you know anybody that lives off of Murray Hill?
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:55   #35
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo Tim View Post
I don't think you will enjoy trying to learn to weld with an $89 welding machine. To me it would be like trying to learn how to play guitar on the cheapest one you could find. It will be a tough row to hoe.
I already enjoyed it. Going to go back to the garage and practice some more as soon as these Chargers beat the Saints
Old 10-07-2012, 19:58   #36
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
ROP is a pretty cool program out in El Cajon.

Do you know anybody that lives off of Murray Hill?
If only they still had metal shop at Helix...
Damn budget cuts.

My mom is a dean of San Diego Community college and said they offer some classes. Ntheres also a huge metal store in Kerney Mesa that offers classes. It seems like I'm already getting the hang of it, but I'm not above taking a class.
Thanks bro
Old 10-07-2012, 20:15   #37
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

I've been considering the same thing, does the guy who has them have a website?

I can weld so I'm good.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:27   #38
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I've been considering the same thing, does the guy who has them have a website?

I can weld so I'm good.
I don't think so. I'll PM a link to the thread tomorrow. He sells 6 of the flip targets for $110 shipped. He gets great reviews on Calguns.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:29   #39
XDRoX

I just went out to the garage for halftime. Wow, am I having fun. It still ain't pretty but it's thick and strong. I'm getting better by the minute. Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:29   #40
MAC702

Quote:
...I see they make a bunch of different types.
Arc
Mig
Flux...
MIG (GMAW) and flux-cored (FCAW) welding are also forms of arc welding. They just use a continuous wire instead of changing out the sticks in stick welding (SMAW). All these processes use an electric arc.

Stick welding is the cheapest to get into, and more versatile. The cheaper the machine, the harder it will be to use.

The wire processes are convenient when you get them set-up properly, and very fast for production work. Don't think you can treat them like a hot glue gun, though.

Before buying at Harbor Freight, check out factory refurbished Hobart machines from places like www.toolking.com. These are the best values in the welding world.

I've made much of my living with Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, and ESAB machines.

Last edited by MAC702; 10-07-2012 at 20:32..
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:37   #41
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
I don't think so. I'll PM a link to the thread tomorrow. He sells 6 of the flip targets for $110 shipped. He gets great reviews on Calguns.
cool, thanks.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:49   #42
Caver 60

Lots of good advice above.

Concur with taking a class or at least getting an instruction book. I had a class in college once.

Also wear proper welding protection clothing. Wear cotton or leather (but leather is expensive). Blue jeans work well as long as there are no holes in them. Clothing made out of space age materials will let sparks melt right through. Also leather work boots. Nothing like catching a hot spark in a pair of tennis shoes or your open shirt collar. Not to mention arc burn. They make cotton shirts designed for welding that are not too expensive.

I only do stick welding and I'm certainly not an expert. My welds are 'gorilla' welds. Ugly as heck, but strong as you know what. I've got farm equipment that I put together 20 years ago that's still holding.

Have fun.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49   #43
skinny99
Crew Chief

http://weldingweb.com/

Start reading. Lots of posts of people using the HF machines.
Youtube also has a lot of info. People like making the cheap stuff work good.

Me, I am welder snob. I have a really nice older Miller MIG machine and an even older Lincoln stick welder.

I hate the type of machine you bought, but I have used them some when I couldn't get 220 to the site. With some patience, strong and OK looking welds can be accomplished. Remember, with that welder, clean material is extremely important. Bevel the edges of thicker material, it will help with penetration. When you have small equipment penetration is always an issue!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08   #44
dango

Well , are we talkin the swining of swords or the melting and fusing of metals ?

I always get's my ie -vs- ei's mixed up !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29   #45
arclight610

Sounds like you need to get a little closer and go slower. Alot of problems newer people have is that they hold too far away and try to go too fast. It should sound like you are cooking bacon.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:46   #46
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Get a guy that knows how to weld and pay him a few bucks.

Or you can try to weld yourself and have bad fusion with the target coming off after the first couple of rounds, or you can go blind with arch flash, or burn yourself, or shock yourself to death.
I think its a good way to learn, welding can come in very useful in life. Its one of those skills that's not as common anymore though.
Old 10-08-2012, 19:19   #47
deutscheglocker

Mig

You might try watching a few welding videos to learn arc length, angle, travel speed, watching the puddle to ensure you are fusing/welding equally on both parts.

I'm primarily a stick weldor with a bit of TIG.
There's a lot going on depending if the welds you are making are flat, vertical, overhead, with different thicknesses of metal.

Instead of watching your friend Joe teach you the incorrect way, I would opt for taking some community college beginners class. Find out if they instruct in MIG since that's what you are using.

It's kinda like shooting. You aren't going to come out of the gate making perfect filet welds just like you won't be making those 100 yd shots with your Glock 23 with the first box or making one hole groups at 25. Take your time & learn the right way. It'll keep it interesting if you are successful with the first few projects.
Then, after a day or so, you'll be making Xray quality 6G welds & will be welding at a Nuke near you. .
Pennsylvania Glocker #74
deutscheglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:04   #48
KenInColorado

The key to welding is preparation. A grinder with a flap disc or aggressive wire wheel is essential. The surfaces that you're welding should be clean and also have a shine to them.

Go slow. Watch the weld "puddle" move in the gap between the two pieces that you're welding. Move the tip of the gun in a circular motion to build the puddle between the two surfaces.

When you practice with your scrap pieces, put the things you've joined in a vice and try to break them apart with a hammer. Cut them apart with your grinder to see how deep the weld has penetrated.

HF flux core welding wire SUCKS. Find a place that sells Miller/Hobart flux core wire or Lincoln flux core wire. The HF stuff seems inconsistent with how the flux is imbedded in the wire, and it pops and spits and wrecks the quality of the bead. Miller/Hobart or Lincoln runs a lot better and it makes a huge difference in the weld strength.

You can build amazing stuff with flux core wire and a 110v welder. I have a Hobart 110v machine, and I built the bumpers, rocker guards and suspension mounts for my Jeep with it.
KenInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote