GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 19:20   #1
skud_dusty

Commander 1911s? In Israel? It's more common than you think...

So I got this weird bag of bones today and I'm not sure what to make of them...

1911 Forums

It has some weird stamping on the slide, barrel, and frame.

:enhance:

1911 Forums

Oh hey, those are the Star of David. What the hell did I just buy?

1911 Forums

A commander 1911? In Israel?

The IAI MXXX were 1911 pistols that were originally built in Israel. The frame and slide were both forged there, as well as the small parts. They early models (marked with the Star of David) were all built in Israel, while later models were essentially parts kits sourced from the Philippines. From what I've read the early models are pretty desirable (if you're looking for an Israeli 1911) as there weren't that many that made it to America. There isn't a whole lot of information out there about them but this is what I've learned when researching this pistol.

I've always liked 1911s but never found one like this. It has pretty low profile sights, but also an anti-glare ridge on the top of the slide. Any more information you might have would be appreciated
Old 10-05-2012, 20:02   #2
bac1023

Interesting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:07   #3
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Interesting indeed. If you find any more info please, let us in on it. Where exactly did you dig up this bag of bones?
Old 10-05-2012, 20:43   #4
skud_dusty

I bought it off a local forum. Most of the information I've found has been about the Filipino parts kits guns and nothing really about the Star marked guns, other than what I've included in my posts.

I'm really excited to take it out and put some rounds down range. The seller was extremely knowledgeable with 1911s and gave me the skinny about what he thought it would need, which isn't much really.

I'd like to replace the grips for now and that's about it. The original owner had a "trigger job" that was extremely unsafe so the guy I bought it from installed a new sear and hammer. The trigger is a little heavier than I'm used to, but with no creep or overtravel. It's a very crisp break and I think it'll be a very shootable pistol once the parts break in a little.

It's not as tight as the Sig I had, but similar to the Colt 1991 I owned. It isn't the pinnacle of 1911s, but it feels pretty solid and it's fitted pretty damn well for what I paid. I think I paid a little much, but the only other thing close to it price wise was something from Armscor. Not that Armscor makes bad pistols, I just feel this one is a step up and more on par with the older Springfield pistols.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I like it! Straight non fluted slide, looks great with the DCM.
Squared trigger guard,.......very cool!

Congrats on the find!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44   #6
skud_dusty

Thanks for the compliment

So far my only wants are to change the grips to some decent wood and lose the extended slide stop. Then I need to try and find a holster for something with a squared trigger guard, which seems like a tough task when looking at off the shelf holsters.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27   #7
ArmoryDoc

A Glock holster might be a place to start, although the slide will be thinner in that gun. Possibly a G36 open bottom holster ? Neat piece for sure.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:54   #8
skud_dusty

That's what I was thinking, something along the lines of a G36 holster. Luckily my local shop has a plethora of holsters and I'll be able to do some test fitting before any purchase.
Old 10-07-2012, 17:26   #9
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
So I got this weird bag of bones today and I'm not sure what to make of them...

1911 Forums

It has some weird stamping on the slide, barrel, and frame.

:enhance:

1911 Forums

Oh hey, those are the Star of David. What the hell did I just buy?

1911 Forums

A commander 1911? In Israel?

The IAI MXXX were 1911 pistols that were originally built in Israel. The frame and slide were both forged there, as well as the small parts. They early models (marked with the Star of David) were all built in Israel, while later models were essentially parts kits sourced from the Philippines. From what I've read the early models are pretty desirable (if you're looking for an Israeli 1911) as there weren't that many that made it to America. There isn't a whole lot of information out there about them but this is what I've learned when researching this pistol.

I've always liked 1911s but never found one like this. It has pretty low profile sights, but also an anti-glare ridge on the top of the slide. Any more information you might have would be appreciated
Israel Arms M5000

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:43   #10
skud_dusty

Got any more info on it jrs? Does yours have the star stamp as well? Pretty slick little pistol
Old 10-08-2012, 13:25   #11
grecco

Very cool, hope it shoots well.
Old 10-08-2012, 14:44   #12
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
Got any more info on it jrs? Does yours have the star stamp as well? Pretty slick little pistol
I do not have any more pics of it. I did just check under the right side grip and the Star of David is there. I also have the original case it came with. The label indicates that the warranty is by Israel Arms International, Houston, TX.

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:55   #13
Unk

Folks that produced the Uzi and Lula Loader ought to build a fine 1911.

Nice pistol.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19   #14
TACLOAD

First time I've ever seen one of those. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing!

“World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just the mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think is the manifestation of human compassion.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
TACLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:36   #15
skud_dusty

I took it out and put some rounds through it. The previous owner put in one of those shock buffers on it and the jury is still out about it. I only put 75 rounds or so through it and had only one failure with the "good" magazine. It came with a no name junker and a CMC 8 round powermag. The CMC had one failure to feed, the round jumped up a bit higher than it should have and jammed against the ejection port. It's not a carry gun so I'm not too concerned about it.

I'm not sure how old the CMC powermag is; I'm hoping to get some CMI mags and run it again. The extractor is a little bit loose, but ejection was pretty powerful. It's a decent little pistol and after a few "warmup" mags I was hitting golf balls at 5-10 yards.