grecco

The hk uspc,
Is a very well made pistol,
If you are patient, you will across a used one at a good
Price.
Old 10-07-2012, 19:14   #22
FiremanJim
Gold Membership

I have tried to keep a couple of USP9 compacts but I am so used to the G19 I sell them within a month
Old 10-08-2012, 00:57   #23
fastbolt

The USP 9c is the only Hk USP that ever felt "just right" in my hand.

Decent pistol. Less 'brick-like' than other USP's. Nicely slim.

As mentioned, the triggers aren't anything particularly noteworthy, but it's a service compact, not a target pistol.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12   #24
DRJ1911

Check out a p2000. I have one with the LEM v2 trigger and really love it.

Doyle
DRJ1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:44   #25
ohio1425

I'm a total HK convert. All my HK's have LEM triggers, which you either love or hate. Two are light LEM, 2 standard LEM.

Most recent purchase was the P2000sk 9mm. If you are considering an HK for EDC check it out. IMO the perfect carry gun for size, weight and reliability.

I've carried 1911's, HK P30, HK45c, and a CZ 75 and the P2000sk carries better than any of them, IMO.

Well worth the consideration.
ohio1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27   #26
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Every once in a while its fun to venture outside the box (the Glock box) by trying a different brand pistol. I yearn for a good quality 9mm in an easy to carry configuration. While I was looking around today, I came across the H&K 9mm lineup.

The USP Compact model looks like an excellent pistol with features I would enjoy. A polymer frame with stainless slide is very appealing. This pistol has a safety feature that I haven't studied, but I'm interested in an external safety. The suggested retail is about $1,000.

I'd like the benefit of some first hand experience with H&K, and info about the USP Compact would be much appreciated.

Corrosion proof fiber-reinforced polymer frame
Grooved target triggers
Polygonal bore profile for increased velocity, easier cleaning, and longer barrel life
Can be converted to any of nine trigger firing modes
Specially designed captive recoil spring assembly with polymer absorber bushing
Choice of corrosion resistant “Hostile Environment” blued finish or stainless steel slide
No snag, bobbed hammer
Flared recurve trigger guard
Universal mounting grooves for installing accessories
Ambidextrous magazine release lever
Contoured, extended slide release
Extractor doubles as a loaded chamber indicator
Patented Lock-Out Safety device
I have one in my collection of 9mm. A $1000 seems to be a bit pricey but I haven't been shopping for one.

It is a good gun but mine is a safe queen, sorry. I carries a USPc in 45 for years and liked it so well I bought another for back up. Never needed it.

The H&K trigger is great for "old guys" like me. Cocked and lock no problem. Double action hard trigger pull for first shot no problem. I liked the H&K USPc in 45 because it out "Commander" the 1911 Commander style pistol. Guess what? I went back to the 1911. I am a gun guy. I have carried a 357 revolver one day and a 380 another day. N frame Smiths are my favorite handgun. For me I don't need to keep it simple.

If you want a H&K USPc 9mm then get one. Shop around for price though.

If you think your Glock isn't good enough and you wonder if you should shop around for something better for CCW. Don't! The Glock changed the rules. Look at all the Glock type pistol that other gun manufactures make. Glock are butt ass simple and that is a great thing. If you are not a gun guy and want a handgun for CCW Glock type pistols are the way to go.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10   #27
PhotoFeller

Many thanks for the tips and observations. I really need to handle some of your recommendations and shoot the ones that feel best on my hand.

I agree that the Glocks are simple, reliable and inexpensive. My G19 and G26 fit me well, and both have performed flawlessly. In fact, I own 2 1/2 G19s (I bought a frame with no slide).

Silmply put, I just want to try something different in a more deluxe package. The image I have is a 9mm about the same size as G19, preferably a bit thinner. I want 10+ capacity. I hope to find (or create) a DAO trigger at about 5-7#. A polymer frame with a stainless slide would complete my ideal pistol.

H&K seems like a good place to look since I've never owned one and the brand has a stellar reputation. I'll get to the local range soon to rent a few for test shooting.

I'm sure I'll find prices are below $1,000. That was the suggested retail on H&K's web site, so market prices will be less.

Any additional thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-08-2012 at 12:13..
PhotoFeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:09   #28
cowboy1964

You shouldn't have to pay more than $800 for a new USP Compact.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:16   #29
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
You shouldn't have to pay more than $800 for a new USP Compact.
$750 top.
Bought mine nib with night sights a couple of years back for $650. Might have gone up since. Check out CDNN (call them up). They always have one of the lowest prices.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:35   #30
sns3guppy

You indicated that you want a 9mm, but possibly one of the "newer" HK pistols. The P2000SK is an excellent subcompact; it's about the same size and weight as a G26. I have one in .40, and it's the same size as my G27. It's a very comfortable pistol to shoot.

HK's do come in a number of trigger variants. If you're looking for something without a safety that's "double action only," the LEM trigger is an excellent choice. It's got a light pull with a little stacking prior to the let-off. It's got a short reset, has no safety, and is very easy to use after a little practice.

I have a USP compact in .45, which is a sister companion to my HK45C. The HK45C is what the USP45C should have been; it's a little more refined, uses the same mags, and is every bit as reliable. They're not very "compact;" they are about the same size as a Sig P220, or a P229, and not much smaller than a Beretta. I'm quite happy with my HK's; the heavy double action trigger isn't a very good pull. The LEM triggers are great; they're on par with the Sig DAK trigger, if you've had a chance to use them, although I'd give the DAK a higher score.

HK's are expensive. Most firearms are, these days. They tend to be very reliable, very ergonomic, very easy to use, easy to care for, and relatively forgiving. Personally, I think they're worth the money. I own a number of them, both handguns and rifles. Some say they're overpriced, and some just don't like them. I have a USP45 given me by my brother, simply because he didn't like it. I've taken it with me on some trips to some obscure places, and have been quite satisfied, with one particular exception. I still use it. It's taken a back seat to the HK45C, however, as the HK45 is a little more ergonomic and refined.

Try them and see for yourself . Borrow or rent; you'll likely be quite satisfied.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18   #31
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1911 View Post
Check out a p2000. I have one with the LEM v2 trigger and really love it.

Doyle
I went with the P2000 too. It feels better in my hand than the USP Compact and the P2000 has the picatinny type rail. Also the thumb safety on the USP didn't really feel like a 1911 to me although that may not be important to many.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52   #32
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I never understood how people ever got "inside the box" in the first place.

If all I had were dime a dozen Glocks I probably shoot myself with one of them.
Getting into a 'Glock box' is easy because of how easy they are to mess with. They really don't require any hand fitting of parts, sight options are plentiful and easy to change and holsters are easy to get.

They're decent Production/Limited guns out of the box and usually function well on cheap store-bought ammo.

Everybody and their grandma runs one, so in the event that one does go down, finding spare parts or a loaner gun is easy.

I don't think they're special or exceptional, but they are easy to mess with. I usually run a Glock because of the above, but I don't particularly like 'em. It's a Glock world...

'Easy' is the key word.

'Like' not so much.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29   #33
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
Getting into a 'Glock box' is easy because of how easy they are to mess with. They really don't require any hand fitting of parts, sight options are plentiful and easy to change and holsters are easy to get.

They're decent Production/Limited guns out of the box and usually function well on cheap store-bought ammo.

Everybody and their grandma runs one, so in the event that one does go down, finding spare parts or a loaner gun is easy.

I don't think they're special or exceptional, but they are easy to mess with. I usually run a Glock because of the above, but I don't particularly like 'em. It's a Glock world...

'Easy' is the key word.

'Like' not so much.
You know Sam, I like the way Glocks fit my hand and the way they shoot. They aren't exceptional, but I like the plain, business-like appearance. For close-in shooting, Glocks are hard to beat for the price.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36   #34
PhotoFeller

"HK's do come in a number of trigger variants. If you're looking for something without a safety that's "double action only," the LEM trigger is an excellent choice. It's got a light pull with a little stacking prior to the let-off. It's got a short reset, has no safety, and is very easy to use after a little practice." guppy, post #30

If I would decide on the DAO variant, does it have to be ordered from H&K with that setup?

Sorry, but what is the LEM trigger?
Old 10-09-2012, 21:07   #35
Benello

I have a USPc in 9mm and I really like it a lot. Built like a tank, 100% reliable, and quite accurate. Not the best trigger, but doable. HK's are expensive, but they are worth it IMHO because they are ovengineered and high quality controlled.

Got mine at topgunsupply.com for under 8 bills. Great people and great service!
Benello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:28   #36
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
You know Sam, I like the way Glocks fit my hand and the way they shoot. They aren't exceptional, but I like the plain, business-like appearance. For close-in shooting, Glocks are hard to beat for the price.
Good Glocks are hard to beat at any price.

I like to shoot everything. I own (or have owned) Sig, Beretta, Glock, Browning, Colt, XD, CZ. I spent a couple of days on a USP9c a few years ago, 100% reliable and mechanically accurate.

H&K triggers suck if you're the kind of shooter that really likes good triggers. But if you can run a DA/SA and don't ride the reset (you shouldn't), then an H&K will do fine for you, they're just not slick.

I'm in the market for a P30L right now.

Quote:
Old 10-11-2012, 04:49   #37
Larry V

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry V
I have slowly but surely started to get rid of my glocks and bought more HK's. I still love my Glocks, especially Gen 4's and RTF2's but HK to me are in a class by themselves
Larry V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:08   #38
HexHead

I wanted a P2000 in 9mm with the LEM trigger in the worst way. I loved the way they felt in my hand, like it was made just for me. Found a pre-owned one at my LGS, and since it was pre-owned I asked to take it downstairs to their range to shoot it before I bought it. Turned out I shot the G26 I had with me far better so I passed on it.

I like the Glock trigger more than the LEM trigger. My buddy that was with me tried the P2000sk they had in the same configuration. I let him shoot my 26 as well. He'd never shot any Glock before and had the exact same results. He ended up buying a 26 on the way out of the store, and couldn't believe how much less money he spent.

I'm sorry, but it's really hard to beat a Glock.

Last edited by HexHead; 10-11-2012 at 05:10..
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:12   #39
PhotoFeller

Great, helpful comments, one and all. What is most interesting is that nearly everyone gives the H&K's trigger less than stellar marks. I'm far from a high level shooter, and the trigger function is big for me as part of the fun equation for range time. This is something I just have to sort out with rentals at the range. I appreciate the information very much.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19   #40
samuse

Yeah, there's just not anything good to say about H&K triggers.

I can't think of any handgun with a worse trigger.

Quote: