SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:58   #21
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
I bought 1000 rounds of Tula .223 when Cabela's put it on sale 2 years ago.

It jams every .223 rifle I own, including Ruger Mini-14's. I've never jammed a Ruger Mini-14 in my entire life until then. And when I say jam, I mean jam, not malfunction. It sticks in the chamber so badly, the rim breaks, and you have to extract the fired case with a cleaning rod.

An AR can't get through one magazine. It'll jam a Mini-14 at some point during the day.

And I still have 850 rounds of this crap.

I've not heard of problems with Wolf, but I've shot much of it.
I'll pm you my address. I'll pay shipping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03   #22
wildmanjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
Yeah I just bought two cases of green tip,but now i need something to shoot.I'll probably buy a couple boxes of 20 of Tula just to try,Thanks.
http://Black Rifle Forum
Same here bud-- I like the M855 ammo. I was lucky enough to get 3x 840 round earlier this summer when it was still $360 each with shipping--hope those prices return
wildmanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12   #23
wildmanjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDrall View Post
If it functions with low powered ammo, it's over gassed, isn't it?
not necessarily--there should be a range that it functions with. I personally use mid length gas system on the 4 rifles I built, 16 in FN barrels with PWS 556 FH/comp ,Spike's tactical T-2 buffers, standard buffer spring- and it recoils really soft in my opinion.
The carbine gas system is supposed to have a higher gas impulse than the mid-length gas system. I had read on AR15 web forums that they can be overgassed, but I have only shot one carbine with carbine gas system. kick was a little harder, don't know specifics on the gun though (just shot one at the range).
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23   #24
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
I'm wanting to buy a case of plinking ammo to shoot out of my new Colt LE6920(that you guys helped me decide on).
Does anyone have a preference between Tula and Wolf?
I realize they're both bottom of the barrel,but buying the Colt has put a strain of my "gun" budget.
I got a cmmg .22 drop in bolt. Much cheaper than either

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54   #25
wildmanjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
I got a cmmg .22 drop in bolt. Much cheaper than either

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of the conversion. If I was able to go out plinking more I probably would
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39   #26
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
I too have had problems with tula in my bushmaster. The case jamming in the barrel and without a ram it's impossible to get out. However this happens occasionally with all the steel cased ammo I purchased. I found a guy selling 800 rounds of mixed ammo for 80$. It was wolf classic military, tula and brown bear. Not every mag would have a jam but it happened more frequently with the tula...
It's possible to get one out without a ram, depending on how bad it is. I've done it with a hung Wolf case in a Colt barrel by pulling back on the charging handle and mortaring the stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDrall View Post
If it functions with low powered ammo, it's over gassed, isn't it?
Not always.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40   #27
RJHUB

Ive shot Tulammo in a 6920 and a midlength PSA upper with no issues. I shot 200 rnds of wolf in a stag model 3 when it was new no issues and then had a tulammo stick in the chamber after dumping a couple 30rnd mags. It was smoking hot. I popped it out with a cleaning rod when it cooled down and then shot ~100 more rounds without an issue.
I shoot Tulammo in 9mm,.40, and .45 without a problem.
It smells really bad tho.
I only use for range and plinking. WOULD NOT depend on it for defensive ammo.
RJHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52   #28
mjkeat

For those having problems w/ stuck cases, check your chambers for size.
Old 10-08-2012, 15:29   #29
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
For those having problems w/ stuck cases, check your chambers for size.
In my case(heh), it was caused by a case mouth failure. Had another one 10 minutes later in a different gun from the same case of ammo.
Old 10-08-2012, 15:49   #30
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Generally Silver Bear > Wolf > Brown Bear > Tula, but different rifles have preferences. Folks have seen improvement after cleaning and polishing their chambers, changing BCG's, and changing shock buffers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:18   #31
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
In my case(heh), it was caused by a case mouth failure. Had another one 10 minutes later in a different gun from the same case of ammo.
Im not an ammunition guy at all. Is it possible to get a lot w/ thicker cases from the norm which would cause this issue w/ in-spec chambers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
Generally Silver Bear > Wolf > Brown Bear > Tula, but different rifles have preferences. Folks have seen improvement after cleaning and polishing their chambers, changing BCG's, and changing shock buffers.
I've had two issues w/ Silver Bear and Tula has been awesome in my experience.

Changing buffers can make a difference. Carrying a couple buffer of different weights is a good idea when trying out different ammunition.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:24   #32
Bluestreakfl

The biggest thing is cleaning when switching between brass and steel case. I've shot some brass but mostly tulammo steel through my AR and after several hundred rounds I have yet to have any kind of malfunction. It is however a bit dirtier than most brass ammo, hence the more frequent cleaning.

Sent from my phone booth
G27 Gen3, Mossberg 500A, Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Armi Salvinelli 12gauge Strapgun. Florida Glockers Club #941
"Politics is 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Bluestreakfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:29   #33
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakfl View Post
The biggest thing is cleaning when switching between brass and steel case. I've shot some brass but mostly tulammo steel through my AR and after several hundred rounds I have yet to have any kind of malfunction. It is however a bit dirtier than most brass ammo, hence the more frequent cleaning.

Sent from my phone booth
I have heard this a lot but have experienced it not to be important. I've purposely loaded magazines w/ mixed brass and steel cased ammunition, hundreds of rounds at a time in one range trip. I did the same at a class this weekend. I never clean just lube.
Old 10-08-2012, 16:45   #34
WinterWizard

The problem with steel case isn't the gun, it's the ammo. The steel case doesn't expand like brass, allowing spent gases and powder residue back into the chamber, instead of out the barrel. This builds up quickly on the chamber walls and bingo! ... casings get stuck. I've heard mixing 1 brass round for every 9 steel ones (3 brass rounds per mag) will help this problem, as the brass will gather a lot of the crap that's built up on the chamber walls and take it out with it. Just a trick I've heard/read.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:12   #35
mjkeat

WInterWizard, explain how people can go thousands of rounds w/o cleaning or issue w/ steel cased ammunition while some get cases stuck?
Old 10-08-2012, 17:18   #36
wildmanjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
WInterWizard, explain how people can go thousands of rounds w/o cleaning or issue w/ steel cased ammunition while some get cases stuck?
though not directed toward me--there are a lot of variables from rifle to rifle, even from one manufacturer of lower parts kits to another.

cleaning and how well it previously maintained.

probably most crucial in this thread is the chamber of the barrel and headspacing. Also to this thread with reliability of low powered ammo would be the gas system--carbine would be best for lower powered ammo reliability
Old 10-08-2012, 17:23   #37
wildmanjeff

also different chamber types --there is Wylde, 223, and 556.

another thing is that from what I understand tulammo and or wolf have changed from a lacquer/shellac to a polymer/plastic coating to reduce hangups in the chamber--so even the age of the ammo could change things drastically
Old 10-08-2012, 17:37   #38
TactiCool

I've run thousands of rounds of tula through my bcm middy with zero malfunctions, but I always run the standard weight buffer with steel case. Running an H buffer increases the likelyhood of malfunctions to occur, for the obvious reasons, even in a 7" gas system.

Also, stay away from monarch steel case. It keyholes badly, and even in properly spec'd rifles too.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:30   #39
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
I too have had problems with tula in my bushmaster. The case jamming in the barrel and without a ram it's impossible to get out. However this happens occasionally with all the steel cased ammo I purchased. I found a guy selling 800 rounds of mixed ammo for 80$. It was wolf classic military, tula and brown bear. Not every mag would have a jam but it happened more frequently with the tula...
yep.. I have been seeing this since 98-99 and its the reason I do not use soviet stuff in a AR.
Old 10-08-2012, 18:41   #40
CharlieDelta127

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
I'd pay a bit more and get some PMC Bronze .223 55grain. Funtion and accuracy are great in my 6920. Went to a gun show yesterday and just about everyone selling ammo had it for $7 a box or less.
I second this, if you look hard you can get it for $6 a box. But $7 is pretty dang good...

check luckygunner.com, sportsmansguide.com, ammotogo.com

I'm sure others can give you some more suggestions.
CharlieDelta127 is offline   Reply With Quote