Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 21:59   #51
jp3975

jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:02   #52
Pawcatch@aol.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
Felony for having a gun in the car? Sure as hell doesnt sound like it.
Wouldn't that be a felony for having a loaded gun in the car without a permit?
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:06   #53
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Nc and ohio have ccw reciprocity. Why didnt your buddy have a ccw license?

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:19   #54
Ohio Copper

Interested to hear more details. Perhaps I can be of assistance.

Sent from my PKE meter.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:44   #55
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Playing Nintendo Duck Hunter doesn't count. HH
You are correct! Although even when playing Nintendo, I have a G29 on my hip!
Old 10-07-2012, 23:09   #56
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
When you are hunting, you are already carrying a weapon.

You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.

Been hunting much?

I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods. (i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.

Carry a pistol while scouting before season in some parts of the country I can understand. Carrying a long gun pre-season may get you written up. But during season? Never.
Written up for carrying a long gun pre-season? Just pick something virtually always in season, like coyote or red squirrel.

Honestly, I can't imagine why you are so anti-handgun. You think you are the only one to hunt? I've hunted my whole life too. Nobody I know is laughing at a guy for carrying a handgun. Some guys might not carry, or might just keep it concealed and you don't know they have it. Other guys simply get a "cool, can I shoot it?" type reaction.

But what is this "pack a pistol to head into the woods" stuff? There is always a pistol on me, you just can't see it unless I decide on the .44 mag revolver. Were they laughing at me when I shot the deer from 35 yards with my iron sighted revolver and didn't even have a long gun on me?

It's too bad the OP's buddy got in trouble not knowing another state's anti-gun laws. But I don't know why someone on a gun forum is against carrying a handgun.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 10-07-2012 at 23:13..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 23:15   #57
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
In South Texas, at least, the pistol is handy because most encounters with illegals and the cartel "coyotes" that run them take place with very little notice and at very close distances, where a full-sized, bolt-action rifle is of little use. The illegals and "coyotes" normally hide in brush or take cover when they fear someone might be around, and when you encounter them it's normally by surprise and at close distance.

A handgun is very much a plus in situations like that.
So I'll sling the loaded rifle that I have in my hand so that I can play gunslinger?

Okay...
Old 10-07-2012, 23:17   #58
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
Last time i checked you can't use a 300 WM in any of the places i hunt except northern michigan for deer hunting!
Okay, a thutty-thutty lever gun then.

Should I sling my loaded Winchester/Marlin so that I can bring the handgun into play?
Old 10-07-2012, 23:22   #59
ithaca_deerslayer

Another thing, if you don't want to carry a handgun, then fine, don't.

If you want to buy your animal already cooked in a restaurant, fine.

If you want to buy your already dead animal from the grocery store, fine.

You want to raise your own animals and slaughter them with a knife, then fine.

You want to go out and chase animals with a rifle, fine.

You want to go after animals with a handgun, fine.

You want to stalk animals with a muzzleloader, fine.

You want to pursue animals with a bow, fine.

You want to trap animals, fine.

What the heck makes one type of those things so much more superior than the others? What makes someone who does the one want to put down people who do the other?
Old 10-07-2012, 23:31   #60
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Okay, a thutty-thutty lever gun then.

Should I sling my loaded Winchester/Marlin so that I can bring the handgun into play?
I don't know, maybe you do what I did and leave your rifle on the ground to climb a tree and break some branches out of the way, before you planned on bringing your rifle up.

Only, to your great surprise all the freaking noise you made with the breaking branches actually called in a monster buck, as you stare at him with your rifle 15 feet below you at the base of the tree, and your hand frantically digging under your coat for your Glock 10mm
Old 10-07-2012, 23:48   #61
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

What the heck makes one type of those things so much more superior than the others? What makes someone who does the one want to put down people who do the other?
OK, you just ruined Glocktalk, you have to leave now. What will people do if they can't do put each other down?

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:19   #62
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignantmike View Post
i'm sure he has no ccw permit.....
That sucks.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53   #63
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
Then you're not carrying...you're transporting.

When I carry in a car, I just get in the driver's seat with it in my holster. Or, alternatively...I can take it out, sit it on the dash in broad daylight, and drive around with it like that. That's carrying.
At any given time I have 3 guns loaded and concealed in my vehicle. When I get in that usually makes 4.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16   #64
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

what about crossbows? I'm leaning toward getting one for next year.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25   #65
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowl intent View Post
This started me thinking how careful you have to be when you travel from one state to another. Does anybody know if in fact it is a felony to carry a loaded handgun in Ohio? What if there was not a round in the chamber (of a semi-auto)? I assume that having a concealed carry permit from NC would not have changed the situation. It sure would be nice to have some sort of reciprocity between the states, so as not to have to deal with all of the quirky laws of different states.

Anybody else with a horror story to tell?
Your friend's entire problem could have been avoided by getting a concealed carry permit, or by not volunteering information, or by not speeding. It took him several dumb steps to get put in jail.

Felony:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16
Quote:
2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
A violation of division (B) of this section is a felony of the fourth degree.

Last edited by Bren; 10-08-2012 at 05:26..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:30   #66
BEER
bad example

i carry a hand gun while hunting because i've been coming down from the stand to discover a rabid feral dog waiting below. i don't know what level of badassery you've reached in life but i personally haven't quite reached the level where i can hang onto a ladder and operate a scoped bolt or lever rifle at the same time.

i carry a handgun every day in the city so i don't see why i wouldn't do so in the woods too.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31   #67
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.
That must be great. Personally, it has been many years since I've been hunting without running into at least one trespasser - even been held at gunpoint by one (I assume I was at gunpoint, since I never actually got a look at him). For the wackos and criminals in the woods, I keep a handgun concealed because it's fast and concealed.

Quote:
Carry a pistol while scouting before season in some parts of the country I can understand. Carrying a long gun pre-season may get you written up. But during season? Never.
Seems important to you...why? I have a gun on before I go in the woods and after I come out - why would I take off my jacket and take off my gun (usually a shoulder holster) just to leave it behind? Seems like a pretty silly rule you just made.

Last edited by Bren; 10-08-2012 at 05:34..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44   #68
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Your friend's entire problem could have been avoided by getting a concealed carry permit, or by not volunteering information, or by not speeding. It took him several dumb steps to get put in jail.

Felony:
I'm with Bren here. I could even add a couple more things that he didn't do (like take a look at the frickin' laws of the state he's going to).

In Ohio, it is a must inform state, so he actually did need to tell the officer that. But NC isn't a state where you can't just carry around an accessible handgun either. So WHAT THE HECK WAS HE THINKING? He wasn't even in compliance with his own state's laws. Sorry, the guy is a bonehead.

Do people just think "I'm going hunting. Gotta carry me some guns. Yahoo." and just get in their cars and expect everything to be hunting wonderland?

The guy should get a CCW license. It is one of the minor hoops we jump through. It gives you lots of extra rights in most states all around the country. For anyone who carries it is really a no-brainer.

People: if you want to carry guns legally, you need to know the laws. It is that simple!

(the us handgun law site, referenced above, is your best starting point). I live in one state (KY) and work in another (IN), so I'm in two states daily. Plus, OH is very close (I was at a Reds game three weeks ago, DID NOT carry into the game, but had gun in car). You've got to know the laws, or you can see what may happen.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 10-08-2012 at 05:46..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:07   #69
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
I'm with Bren here. I could even add a couple more things that he didn't do (like take a look at the frickin' laws of the state he's going to).
That crossed my mind too - not to mention, he could stay out of Ohio. If it's a great place to hunt, how come they all come to Kentucky in November?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14   #70
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post

In Ohio, it is a must inform state, so he actually did need to tell the officer that. But NC isn't a state where you can't just carry around an accessible handgun either. So WHAT THE HECK WAS HE THINKING? He wasn't even in compliance with his own state's laws. Sorry, the guy is a bonehead.

Do people just think "I'm going hunting. Gotta carry me some guns. Yahoo." and just get in their cars and expect everything to be hunting wonderland?

The guy should get a CCW license. It is one of the minor hoops we jump through. It gives you lots of extra rights in most states all around the country. For anyone who carries it is really a no-brainer.

People: if you want to carry guns legally, you need to know the laws. It is that simple!

(the us handgun law site, referenced above, is your best starting point). I live in one state (KY) and work in another (IN), so I'm in two states daily. Plus, OH is very close (I was at a Reds game three weeks ago, DID NOT carry into the game, but had gun in car). You've got to know the laws, or you can see what may happen.
What the heck was he thinking?

Maybe that he was in the United States?

What kind of state wouldn't allow someone to keep a loaded and a cessible handgun in their car? That's just bizarre.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:43   #71
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
What the heck was he thinking?

Maybe that he was in the United States?

What kind of state wouldn't allow someone to keep a loaded and a cessible handgun in their car? That's just bizarre.

CF,
I'm assuming sarcasm here. Excuse me if I'm wrong, haven't had my coffee yet. I don't know where you live, but if you plan to travel you should realize that different states have different laws. Learn the laws in your own state first. Then expand from there. If you want to live in the wild, you can try borneo or Tanzania, or - well, there is probably nowhere left on this planet that is truly wild. But we live in a society and our society is governed by laws. I enjoyed the "Deadwood" series recently, where laws are just starting to come into play, and it was interesting and a fun show.

The guy was in violation of his own state laws!!! He can't blame it on not knowing about other states' laws.

BUT, and this is a big one, he would have been fine if he had gotten a license. We all get licenses to drive, which seems reasonable, and it isn't completely crazy that we get licenses to carry. In both cases, they may keep some of the wackos off the streets. The state DOES allow him to carry loaded, but he needs to jump through a couple easy hoops, like we all do throughout life.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 10-08-2012 at 06:50..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55   #72
hamster
NRA Life Member

Sure the guy made some mistakes along the way. But lets not let the stockholm syndrome get out of hand folks.

The mistakes this guy made are simple errors of paperwork.

Assuming he has no criminal record that would prevent him from having a CCW, then his only true mistake was not unloading the pistol and magazine. He even informed the police officer...which clearly shows to me he has no intent to hurt anyone.

Lets all remember that the supreme law of the land affirms our God given right to keep and bear arms. Lets not condemn this man over what amounts to a simple paperwork snafu. This is a case where as a member of the Jury I'd nullify.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:59   #73
hamster
NRA Life Member

Thank you Nancy Pelosi.

I'm preparing another check to Buckeye firearms association today in support of their efforts to change carry carry laws in Ohio.

It is just plain stupid that a person with a clean record should be considered a Felon simply because the rounds in his car were in a magazine rather than a cardboard box.

Quote:

Felony:
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02   #74
Drain You
NRA member

It only took one reply this time, GT. You're getting good at this.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05   #75
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
That crossed my mind too - not to mention, he could stay out of Ohio. If it's a great place to hunt, how come they all come to Kentucky in November?
because you can use a rifle there.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote