GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 00:25   #26
Chowser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, OHIO
Posts: 1,603
I get them off ebay.

The only reason we use the bungee set up is because the car is shared by up to four officers so we need some stretch in the sling set up in case the lazy officer forgets to adjust the slings to themselves when they start their shift (99% of the time)

It makes it easier if they need to pull it longer to fit them.
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32   #27
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud
 
SCSU74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Northwoods
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowser View Post
I get them off ebay.

The only reason we use the bungee set up is because the car is shared by up to four officers so we need some stretch in the sling set up in case the lazy officer forgets to adjust the slings to themselves when they start their shift (99% of the time)

It makes it easier if they need to pull it longer to fit them.
All 4 use the same rifle? How does that work, who is it zeroed for?


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
__________________
In Valor There is Hope
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33   #28
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,178


Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
All 4 use the same rifle? How does that work, who is it zeroed for?


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
We have pool rifles here too. Colt 6721. Carry handles and FSB.

Zeroed to 50 yards by a Firearms Instructor/armorer. Usually myself. It's not perfect, but I don't have a better idea.

Most everyone is buying their own. We are down to 10 pool rifles now.
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:10   #29
Ship A'Hoy
Trigger Control
 
Ship A'Hoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pa
Posts: 776
Magpul slings for their adaptability of one/two point.
__________________
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman
NRA LE Certified Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
Certified Glock Armorer
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
Ship A'Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:06   #30
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.
 
SPDSNYPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 6,940
Single point slings may be OK for tac team use, but are not ideal for patrol rifle setups in general. Inside a house in full ninja turtle gear, you can expect to do a lot of shoulder-swaps, and the one-point is good for that. With all your **** on, you can let the rifle hang, and it likely won't nut-smack you, especially an SBR. Most patrol vests aren't set up with 12 acres of molle pouches and a groin protector to keep the boys safe.

There are lot of good 2point slings out there (blue force gear, vtac) and convertible 1 to 2 point slings (magpul MS3) that will be better for general patrol work. Get the ASAP and an MS3, and you pretty well are set up.
__________________
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only matched by your zest for Kung Fu treachery!" - Black Dynamite

Last edited by SPDSNYPR; 10-07-2012 at 15:06..
SPDSNYPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:18   #31
jbglock
Senior Member
 
jbglock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 467
I actually bought a Magpul MS3 this weekend at a gun show. I'd recommend it to anyone that wants both since it so easily converts to either.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:26   #32
Chowser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, OHIO
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
All 4 use the same rifle? How does that work, who is it zeroed for?

All department rifles are zeroed by me and then another officer shoots it to verify and it's pretty much dead on.

Each officer that uses the car shoots the rifle as well and so far we have been lucky. It shoots where they aim it.

Maybe my eyes are universal.
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:03   #33
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud
 
SCSU74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Northwoods
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowser View Post
All department rifles are zeroed by me and then another officer shoots it to verify and it's pretty much dead on.

Each officer that uses the car shoots the rifle as well and so far we have been lucky. It shoots where they aim it.

Maybe my eyes are universal.
Ah gotcha, I wasn't sure if having one zero for everyone would cause problems. Just seems like everyone would have their own way of shooting and didn't know if that would effect groups at all.


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
__________________
In Valor There is Hope
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:05   #34
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud
 
SCSU74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Northwoods
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
We have pool rifles here too. Colt 6721. Carry handles and FSB.

Zeroed to 50 yards by a Firearms Instructor/armorer. Usually myself. It's not perfect, but I don't have a better idea.

Most everyone is buying their own. We are down to 10 pool rifles now.
We have dept owned rifles, but they are assigned to and zeroed by that officer. All personally owned rifles are owned zeroed by that officer during rifle class. Wasn't sure if one zero would work for everyone, cool that it does. Would that translate to red dots as well?


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
__________________
In Valor There is Hope
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:04   #35
scottydl
Senior Member
 
scottydl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Wasn't sure if one zero would work for everyone, cool that it does. Would that translate to red dots as well?
I've been to rifle classes where they zeroed you in to every exact CLICK so it was juuuuust perfect for you, at least the way you were holding it that day. Then the most recent instructor I had (at my new dept) would just spin the adjustment wheel one way, and have me shoot. Look at my group, then spin it whichever way needed. Have me shoot again until the group was closer. Not a lot of precision, but he stopped adjusting when my group was relatively tight. The way he explained it, our LEO patrol rifle usage is not to make any single-dot precision sniper shots... but to get the rounds approximately where we aim, quickly. Gave me a different way of looking at things.

^^ I think that's the principle behind department rifles. Not perfect for anyone, but will work for everyone.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:31   #36
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,178


Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
We have dept owned rifles, but they are assigned to and zeroed by that officer. All personally owned rifles are owned zeroed by that officer during rifle class. Wasn't sure if one zero would work for everyone, cool that it does. Would that translate to red dots as well?


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
It would if we had optics. Plain Jane 6721s with carry handle and a **** sling and old incan surefire lights with craptastic pressure switches.

I'm working on refurbing all of them with MOE hand guards, led drop ins, scout mounts and clicky caps, and asaps with MS3s.

Just waiting for the budget to come through.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12   #37
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud
 
SCSU74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Northwoods
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
It would if we had optics. Plain Jane 6721s with carry handle and a **** sling and old incan surefire lights with craptastic pressure switches.

I'm working on refurbing all of them with MOE hand guards, led drop ins, scout mounts and clicky caps, and asaps with MS3s.

Just waiting for the budget to come through.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Those are going to be some sweet pool rifles!


Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
__________________
In Valor There is Hope
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:39   #38
BKLYNIRISH
Pig Herder
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina Lowcountry
Posts: 433
If you're stuck on a single-point sling for a carbine, I say go with a Gear Sector A.S.P. For a two point...my personal preference for a carbine...I say go with a two-point like the Vickers VCAS. If you're holding your rifle and it's time to go hands-on, it's awfully nice to be able to pull the rifle close with a two-point sling.

I personally stick with single-points for SBRs and two-points for carbines for patrol use.

There's always the best of both worlds with a Magpul sling, the QD MS3 being a favorite for me right now.

Last edited by BKLYNIRISH; 10-08-2012 at 13:41..
BKLYNIRISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:45   #39
BKLYNIRISH
Pig Herder
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina Lowcountry
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSNYPR View Post
Single point slings may be OK for tac team use, but are not ideal for patrol rifle setups in general. Inside a house in full ninja turtle gear, you can expect to do a lot of shoulder-swaps, and the one-point is good for that. With all your **** on, you can let the rifle hang, and it likely won't nut-smack you, especially an SBR. Most patrol vests aren't set up with 12 acres of molle pouches and a groin protector to keep the boys safe.

There are lot of good 2point slings out there (blue force gear, vtac) and convertible 1 to 2 point slings (magpul MS3) that will be better for general patrol work. Get the ASAP and an MS3, and you pretty well are set up.
What he said ^^^^^!

Even better, if you already have a nicely staked castle nut, just go with the http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-Adapter-Blackthat slips over the buffer tubes. Good gear.

Last edited by BKLYNIRISH; 10-08-2012 at 13:45..
BKLYNIRISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:10   #40
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,162
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bccop View Post
I bought a Tactical Tailor single point and after getting hit the in the junk a couple times and getting banged in the knees picked up a VTAC 5.11 2 point padded sling.
Sling weak arm and head through hole of one point like God intended and you won't get hit in the junk...
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03   #41
bccop
Senior Member
 
bccop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's Republic of Kanuckistan
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
Sling weak arm and head through hole of one point like God intended and you won't get hit in the junk...
That's the way I sling it when I used a single point. It's the not the transition drills that are the problem it is having the rifle slung while doing stuff that causes the pain. I'm not the only one who has complained about single points with longer barrels (mine is a 14.5").

After carrrying my carbine on a long containment call with a single point I picked up a two point.
__________________
We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 10-09-2012 at 16:29..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:12   #42
Halfhitch
Member
 
Halfhitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 88
I really like the SWAT Sling from KNS Precision. Two points from endplate adapter and from the supplied swivel at the pivot pin.

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/gun-p...ng-system.html
__________________
ďA strong body makes a strong mind. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun." Thomas Jefferson
Halfhitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:31   #43
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 15,162
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bccop View Post
That's the way I sling it when I used a single point. It's the not the transition drills that are the problem it is having the rifle slung while doing stuff that causes the pain. I'm not the only one who has complained about single points with longer barrels (mine is a 14.5").

After carrrying my carbine on a long containment call with a single point I picked up a two point.
I understand that, my opinion favors the single, I sweep it over when transitioning and it always snugs in my armpit of the off shoulder. Just years of practice and muscle memory, it does help that my gun has a 10.5 inch tube..


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:21.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,223
375 Members
848 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42