GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:03   #41
Green Dragoon

Beautiful as always Bac. With all the "black" semis these days, I love seeing blued pistols and revolvers. They bring me back. Thanks for sharing. And great photos as always!
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:31   #42
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Beautiful as always Bac. With all the "black" semis these days, I love seeing blued pistols and revolvers. They bring me back. Thanks for sharing. And great photos as always!
Thank you sir

I'll post some better pics today. I had lousy lighting yesterday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33   #43
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Dam that's one fantastic looking piece! Congratulations!
Thank Neoh. Much appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:54   #44
oldnoob

Congrats Bac. Model 39 sure is a classic.

My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00   #45
m2hmghb

Bac apparently S&W didnt have a good set of records from 1954-1970. 1954 starts with 1001 and in 1970 the last serial is 115000. This is from the standard catalog of smith and wesson. Sorry I couldn't date it exactly. Very nice shooter you have.

I do have one question though, do you have to update the PA National Guard every time you move so they know the location of their new armory?

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18   #46
Bruce M

Another great find! Very nice looking.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:21   #47
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Bac apparently S&W didnt have a good set of records from 1954-1970. 1954 starts with 1001 and in 1970 the last serial is 115000. This is from the standard catalog of smith and wesson. Sorry I couldn't date it exactly. Very nice shooter you have.
Thanks

I appreciate the effort.

Old 10-06-2012, 14:59   #48
Green Dragoon

Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Old 10-06-2012, 15:02   #49
countrygun

Quote:
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:04   #50
bac1023

Quote:
Yes, the 52. I'm mobile right now, but I'll post some pics later tonight.

I think the 52 may have been the finest auto S&W ever built. It's just not practical for anything other than target practice and bullseye competition.

Old 10-06-2012, 15:05   #51
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
You have the right number.

I'll post some pics later. I've got one.

Old 10-06-2012, 15:47   #52
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Well, shoot. So much for me having SOMETHING Bac didn't have (Kicks can). Just my luck.

Congratulations Bac. That one is a beauty.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:00   #53
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Well, shoot. So much for me having SOMETHING Bac didn't have (Kicks can). Just my luck.

Congratulations Bac. That one is a beauty.

Thanks, my friend

Old 10-06-2012, 17:23   #54
bac1023

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yes, the 52. I'm mobile right now, but I'll post some pics later tonight.

I think the 52 may have been the finest auto S&W ever built. It's just not practical for anything other than target practice and bullseye competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
You have the right number.

I'll post some pics later. I've got one.

Here's my 52 guys. Its also in beautiful condition.

It was basically S&W's top of the line target pistol from back in the day and its also based on the 39. I actually think its the finest auto they ever built. I like it better than the modern Performance Center models. Its just not practical. All it shoots are 38 Special wadcutters. There's not much use for it outside bullseye competition, but the trigger is amazing.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

My favorite Smith auto is the 952 target pistol, which is based on the 52, but chambered in 9mm. Smith's Performance Center built it starting in 2003 and they just discontinued it last year. They were just getting too expensive for Smith to build and make a profit on. MSRP was well over $2000 as it was.

Not only is it my favorite Smith auto, but its my second favorite 9mm of all time, right behind the Browning Hi Power. Also, like the Hi Power, I think its one of the most beautiful autos ever built. Accuracy is as good as any handgun I own.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 01:09   #55
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Another great find! Very nice looking.
Thanks Bruce

Old 10-07-2012, 14:21   #56
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD

Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
Very nice. My Smith 39 was a gift to me from my father on my 21st. It had been bought for him by a coworker in 68 or 69 if I remember correctly. They had worked on a project together and after they presented the findings to congress and were done with the "team" the head researcher picked it up for him. He was never really a gun guy, so it mostly just sat in the closet forever. He said about the only time he ever had it loaded was when he'd shoot a couple rounds into the ground for 4th of july in leiu of firecrackers.

Still one of my favorites, although I rarely shoot it these days. Back then it was one of a 3 gun collection, as I was just starting. Now I have... a few more...
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:27   #57
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
Very nice. My Smith 39 was a gift to me from my father on my 21st. It had been bought for him by a coworker in 68 or 69 if I remember correctly. They had worked on a project together and after they presented the findings to congress and were done with the "team" the head researcher picked it up for him. He was never really a gun guy, so it mostly just sat in the closet forever. He said about the only time he ever had it loaded was when he'd shoot a couple rounds into the ground for 4th of july in leiu of firecrackers.

Still one of my favorites, although I rarely shoot it these days. Back then it was one of a 3 gun collection, as I was just starting. Now I have... a few more...
Cool story

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34   #58
Green Dragoon

thanks Brac. I'm not surprised you have one.

I'll never understand how they fed a rimmed cartridge. I know the Desert Eagles later went on to do it successfully. It still impresses me though.

Anyway- beautiful pistols Brac. Thanks for posting the pic.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55   #59
SigFTW

What a fantastic looking and great price S&W you found! I would have had smoke coming out of my back pocket from pulling my wallet out so fast on one like that. Congrats!!