GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03   #41
Green Dragoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 735
Beautiful as always Bac. With all the "black" semis these days, I love seeing blued pistols and revolvers. They bring me back. Thanks for sharing. And great photos as always!
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:31   #42
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Beautiful as always Bac. With all the "black" semis these days, I love seeing blued pistols and revolvers. They bring me back. Thanks for sharing. And great photos as always!
Thank you sir

I'll post some better pics today. I had lousy lighting yesterday.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33   #43
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Dam that's one fantastic looking piece! Congratulations!
Thank Neoh. Much appreciated
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:54   #44
oldnoob
Senior Member
 
oldnoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: City of Angel, California
Posts: 4,263
Congrats Bac. Model 39 sure is a classic.
__________________
Taiwan born, Chinese descent, red white and freaking blue America citizen.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00   #45
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,279


Bac apparently S&W didnt have a good set of records from 1954-1970. 1954 starts with 1001 and in 1970 the last serial is 115000. This is from the standard catalog of smith and wesson. Sorry I couldn't date it exactly. Very nice shooter you have.

I do have one question though, do you have to update the PA National Guard every time you move so they know the location of their new armory?
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18   #46
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 22,021
Another great find! Very nice looking.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:21   #47
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Bac apparently S&W didnt have a good set of records from 1954-1970. 1954 starts with 1001 and in 1970 the last serial is 115000. This is from the standard catalog of smith and wesson. Sorry I couldn't date it exactly. Very nice shooter you have.
Thanks

I appreciate the effort.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:59   #48
Green Dragoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 735
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:02   #49
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:04   #50
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Yes, the 52. I'm mobile right now, but I'll post some pics later tonight.

I think the 52 may have been the finest auto S&W ever built. It's just not practical for anything other than target practice and bullseye competition.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:05   #51
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
You have the right number.

I'll post some pics later. I've got one.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:47   #52
CajunBass
Senior Member
 
CajunBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chancelorsville, Virginia
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Well, shoot. So much for me having SOMETHING Bac didn't have (Kicks can). Just my luck.

Congratulations Bac. That one is a beauty.
__________________
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:00   #53
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Well, shoot. So much for me having SOMETHING Bac didn't have (Kicks can). Just my luck.

Congratulations Bac. That one is a beauty.


Thanks, my friend
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:23   #54
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yes, the 52. I'm mobile right now, but I'll post some pics later tonight.

I think the 52 may have been the finest auto S&W ever built. It's just not practical for anything other than target practice and bullseye competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
You have the right number.

I'll post some pics later. I've got one.

Here's my 52 guys. Its also in beautiful condition.

It was basically S&W's top of the line target pistol from back in the day and its also based on the 39. I actually think its the finest auto they ever built. I like it better than the modern Performance Center models. Its just not practical. All it shoots are 38 Special wadcutters. There's not much use for it outside bullseye competition, but the trigger is amazing.


General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum






My favorite Smith auto is the 952 target pistol, which is based on the 52, but chambered in 9mm. Smith's Performance Center built it starting in 2003 and they just discontinued it last year. They were just getting too expensive for Smith to build and make a profit on. MSRP was well over $2000 as it was.

Not only is it my favorite Smith auto, but its my second favorite 9mm of all time, right behind the Browning Hi Power. Also, like the Hi Power, I think its one of the most beautiful autos ever built. Accuracy is as good as any handgun I own.


General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09   #55
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Another great find! Very nice looking.
Thanks Bruce
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:21   #56
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Rome Ga
Posts: 2,025
Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
Very nice. My Smith 39 was a gift to me from my father on my 21st. It had been bought for him by a coworker in 68 or 69 if I remember correctly. They had worked on a project together and after they presented the findings to congress and were done with the "team" the head researcher picked it up for him. He was never really a gun guy, so it mostly just sat in the closet forever. He said about the only time he ever had it loaded was when he'd shoot a couple rounds into the ground for 4th of july in leiu of firecrackers.

Still one of my favorites, although I rarely shoot it these days. Back then it was one of a 3 gun collection, as I was just starting. Now I have... a few more...
__________________
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:27   #57
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
Very nice. My Smith 39 was a gift to me from my father on my 21st. It had been bought for him by a coworker in 68 or 69 if I remember correctly. They had worked on a project together and after they presented the findings to congress and were done with the "team" the head researcher picked it up for him. He was never really a gun guy, so it mostly just sat in the closet forever. He said about the only time he ever had it loaded was when he'd shoot a couple rounds into the ground for 4th of july in leiu of firecrackers.

Still one of my favorites, although I rarely shoot it these days. Back then it was one of a 3 gun collection, as I was just starting. Now I have... a few more...
Cool story
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34   #58
Green Dragoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 735
thanks Brac. I'm not surprised you have one.

I'll never understand how they fed a rimmed cartridge. I know the Desert Eagles later went on to do it successfully. It still impresses me though.

Anyway- beautiful pistols Brac. Thanks for posting the pic.
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55   #59
SigFTW
Senior Member
 
SigFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 2,208
What a fantastic looking and great price S&W you found! I would have had smoke coming out of my back pocket from pulling my wallet out so fast on one like that. Congrats!!
__________________
Spent brass to me is like the ring to Gollum "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious"
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:02.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,251
352 Members
899 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42