Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:03   #101
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I don't recall addressing you personally about anything. Nor would I care or have written it down.

You really need to switch to decaf. Metamucil might work too.

You know this is the lounge, right?
I'm sure you have no recollection.. meanwhile back OT.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08   #102
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
That is generally because Apple does it better than the others.

But that "better" comes at the cost of premium prices which everyone is not willing to pay.

Hence Apple OS lost market share to second rate windows. because windows had features people wanted and was cheaper.
I think Apple does quite a few things really well. If they could capture the business market MS wouldn't be much of a talking point anymore. The best thing Apple has going for it is marketing. Both PC's an iProducts use similarly inexpensive components for builds. The worst thing going for it is the closed platform approach.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04   #103
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
I think Apple does quite a few things really well. If they could capture the business market MS wouldn't be much of a talking point anymore. The best thing Apple has going for it is marketing. Both PC's an iProducts use similarly inexpensive components for builds. The worst thing going for it is the closed platform approach.
They are rapidly capturing business and education with iPhones and iPads and making headway with Mac computers.

Though I'm sure they're out there I've yet to encounter a business or school deploying android. They like the administrative control and problem free operation that iOS gives them.

And more and more businesses are accommodating Mac usage even if they aren't willing to cough up for the machine themselves.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12   #104
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
They are rapidly capturing business and education with iPhones and iPads and making headway with Mac computers.

Though I'm sure they're out there I've yet to encounter a business or school deploying android. They like the administrative control and problem free operation that iOS gives them.

And more and more businesses are accommodating Mac usage even if they aren't willing to cough up for the machine themselves.
Schools in Florida started out with Apple IIe's and then moved into PC's The only corporation that I know of that issue iPhones is AT&T I don't know anyone that issues Android, mostly Blackberries it seems. RIM better get it's act together before they lose there niche.

Price is a killer for folks in the business of making money as opposed to spending it for little to no gain.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:24   #105
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Schools in Florida started out with Apple IIe's and then moved into PC's The only corporation that I know of that issue iPhones is AT&T I don't know anyone that issues Android, mostly Blackberries it seems. RIM better get it's act together before they lose there niche.

Price is a killer for folks in the business of making money as opposed to spending it for little to no gain.
Look a little more. iPhone and iPads are now commonplace as corporate issue. Corp phone contracts issue iPhones at no charge. iPads are widely issued in the corporate world.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:30   #106
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Look a little more. iPhone and iPads are now commonplace as corporate issue. Corp phone contracts issue iPhones at no charge. iPads are widely issued in the corporate world.
What do you suppose is keeping so many companies from abandoning RIM then? I've about had it with BB to be honest.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:32   #107
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
What do you suppose is keeping so many companies from abandoning RIM then? I've about had it with BB to be honest.
I dunno. Change? Infratructure? My company issues both but is softly encouraging iPhone now.
Old 10-07-2012, 13:00   #108
sbhaven

Quote:
I'm gonna look again. I have an iPad 2 but want something smaller and lighter for in flight movies and quick document reference.

How does it compare to the Samsung in you opinion?
Don't have a Samsung tablet so don't know how the Nexus 7 would compare to it. The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 both should be fine for watching movies and light document reading in a smaller form factor. I use a case like the one below with my Nexus 7. The case has several folding positions to allow viewing of the tablet on a flat surface like an airline seat back tray.

Last edited by sbhaven; 10-07-2012 at 13:01..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:06   #109
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I liked my BB but I finally gave up on rim and went android. Thought I would have a difficult time adjusting but turns out I didn't.

I wouldn't give two cents for pre Ice cream sandwich android but with ICS and dual core phones? life is sweet! I switched and am not looking back especially now that my Galaxy Nexus is running Jelly Bean.
Old 10-07-2012, 13:10   #110
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
I liked my BB but I finally gave up on rim and went android. Thought I would have a difficult time adjusting but turns out I didn't.

I wouldn't give two cents for pre Ice cream sandwich android but with ICS and dual core phones? life is sweet! I switched and am not looking back especially now that my Galaxy Nexus is running Jelly Bean.
I'm running a Droid X and BB Touch. My Nexus 7 has convinced me I need a new phone.

Old 10-07-2012, 13:18   #111
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I'm running a Droid X and BB Touch. My Nexus 7 has convinced me I need a new phone.
Rim never got touch screen right and I was not willing to wait around for BB10 to see if they finally did.

Galaxy Nexus got Jelly bean last month, GS3 is scheduled to get it this month.
Old 10-07-2012, 13:54   #112
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Rim never got touch screen right and I was not willing to wait around for BB10 to see if they finally did.

Galaxy Nexus got Jelly bean last month, GS3 is scheduled to get it this month.
Ok, for a former BB user, I'm now on a Bold. How are notifications, email beep when you get one, say if you have a web mail account like yahoo plugged into it, customizeable by sender, doesn't make you go look for email and open it, but beeps regardless even if email is closed?

How is your energy management, did you have to root it and manually turn stuff off?

How is the camera quality?
Old 10-07-2012, 14:04   #113
GVFlyer

There's the iPad, then there's everything else.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:28   #114
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
There's the iPad, then there's everything else.

Have you used anything else to compare the iPad to?

iPads are nice but they aren't the end all be all of the tablet world. It really depends on application.

It's just another tool in the bag.

When iPad has a proper filing system, doesn't lock you into iTunes, and the means to expand memory we can re-visit your statement.

Old 10-07-2012, 14:39   #115
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I'm now on a Bold. How are notifications, email beep when you get one,
This was what surprised me about android the most. I was told that Android did not have true push notifications. Maybe previous versions did not I suppose but Ice cream sandwich and Jelly bean certainly do.

I get notifications just as fast as I did with blackberry. In ICS or JB you can set how you want to be notified down to the blink rate of the pulse notification light to how many times you get beeped.

I have Gmail and get push notifications of my emails and the drop down notification bar in JB actually contains most of the message. click on it and it opens the message in your email.

Quote:
How is your energy management, did you have to root it and manually turn stuff off?
Mine is great but then I don't do youtube, facebook or twitter. or watch movies on my phone.

So battery life is pretty much dependent on your use. I can get three days out of a charge because I mostly stay on WiFi instead of 3g (4LTE is not available in my area yet.) I also keep GPS off unless I need it.

In ICS and Jelly bean I have not had to root to turn stuff off the apps that cannot be removed can be disabled in settings.

Quote:
How is the camera quality?
I have the Galaxy Nexus with 5MP camera I would rate it at fair. other android phones have 8MP and are considered better cameras but the 5MP is fine for me.

You mentioned the bold I would definitely say the 5MP camera on my Galaxy is better than the bold. the GNex has auto focus and the new bolds do not.

If you have not handled an android phone running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean it is a completely different experience than previous builds of Android. they are fast, smooth, and stable.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 10-07-2012 at 14:40..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:46   #116
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
I have Gmail and get push notifications of my emails and the drop down notification bar in JB actually contains most of the message. click on it and it opens the message in your email.

So battery life is pretty much dependent on your use. I can get three days out of a charge because I mostly stay on WiFi instead of 3g (4LTE is not available in my area yet.) I also keep GPS off unless I need it.
You have to be on 3g for your phone to always be working, no? I mean you also need a continuous connection to get your pushmail, I suppose it can go thru wifi.

My BB is "always on". email and phone come thru 24/7, mandatory for me.
Old 10-07-2012, 14:51   #117
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
You have to be on 3g for your phone to always be working, no? I mean you also need a continuous connection to get your pushmail, I suppose it can go thru wifi.

My BB is "always on". email and phone come thru 24/7, mandatory for me.
You have to have either 3G or WiFi on to get email notifications. mine is on WiFi most of the time and I get the notifications just fine.
Old 10-07-2012, 14:58   #118
denn1911

I'm still using the original iPad...haha. I'm waiting on the next gen iPad to come out before I upgrade. As it stands now, I love it.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:08   #119
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
You have to have either 3G or WiFi on to get email notifications. mine is on WiFi most of the time and I get the notifications just fine.
But your phone is always on so you don't miss calls?

How about data transfer?

On the BB, I can select a data file, a picture, whatever…hit a menu and send it via bluetooth. Say, to my mac, flip the bluetooth on and the mac chomps down on the file and dumps it to my downloads folder and opens it automatically.

Can you do that? pics, music, data? etc

I'm thinking of an S3.
Old 10-07-2012, 15:13   #120
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
I've always had email push for both Gmail and Verizon to include all the notification options you mentioned. I picked up the Droid X shortly after release so a little more than two years now. It's currently running Froyo 2.2.

Old 10-07-2012, 16:05   #121
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
But your phone is always on so you don't miss calls?
yep my phone is on 24/7

Quote:
How about data transfer?
My phone has bluetooth but I have never used it. I use a free app called Air Droid for data transfers. it utilizes WiFi for the data transfer to the computer or from the computer to the phone. it's fast and very easy.

The GS3's are nice, rumor is there are going to be some big whopping sales on them on Black Friday.
Old 10-07-2012, 16:07   #122
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I've always had email push for both Gmail and Verizon to include all the notification options you mentioned. I picked up the Droid X shortly after release so a little more than two years now. It's currently running Froyo 2.2.
Wait till you try one of the newer phones running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean. you will drop that Froyo device like a hot potato.
Old 10-07-2012, 17:54   #123
boomhower

BB has already lost. Many big name corporations have moved on from BB. They are still hugely popular in the corporate arena but it's a little less everyday. A lot of it is from the top down. The execs are tired of the same boring BB's and want the cool new iPhone so the IT guys are told to support it. As the tools have gotten better it's spread to allowing the rest use them as well. BB's real strength is security in communications and security of the devices as well. They are still king in the former but with a variety of remote wipe methods the latter is rather common place now. With them delaying BB 10 yet again it's all over but the crying at this point. Just a matter of time before they are either sold or implode.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:00   #124
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Wait till you try one of the newer phones running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean. you will drop that Froyo device like a hot potato.

I'm due.

Old 10-07-2012, 20:15   #125
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Here we go….

I just want to get this out here.

I was wrong, it was G36's Rule that initiated previously conflicts.

I was dead wrong for posting the way I did towards you. No excuses.