Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07   #41
mjkeat

Surf, good as always and backed up by experience.

I have been hearing a lot of people talking about fixed or BUIS in the upright position while shooting. Even the instructor at the carbine class I took 2 weeks ago supported this method. I have been trying to hold out for some time but will be shooting this way at this weekends class. W/ all these high level shooters doing it and the experience relayed in support of this method I would be stupid not to try it out.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30   #42
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I currently use a fixed rear, and don't mind it, but I prefer a folding rear, folded.

At the ranges it would be an issue the Aimpoint can be used as a rear sight. In the very low odds of it going down that is. If I don't have time for that, odds are, i'm either going to pistol or may be totally screwed anyways.

Still prefer the scope be clear, even in a lower third, but in the end, it's personal preference.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:12   #43
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Went back and got one of the targets we used in class last weekend.

The head measures 6" High and 6.5" wide with the 1" black square in the middle. So as I recall I was holding at the top of the head which means 3" high. And I was consistently hitting the black square.

The black "bull" in the middle of the target measured 5.5 inches in diameter meaning I was holding at the top of the black and making COM shots or about 2.75" high.

Huh...I thought that bull looked about 6" across.

In any case "holding" isn't exactly what I'd call keeping the dot moving in a circle in about that location when you are doing timed cadence drills...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:56   #44
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
This is why I advocate getting specific trainings. Want to compete or shoot competition style? Go to a school that teaches you competition shooting.

Want to learn how to fight? Go to a school that teaches you how to fight.

As far as I'm concerned, the 'twains are so different that I don't even bother trying to mix'em up.
This is a big mistake IMO and most modern trainers, or generally the top notch guys, understand the advantages that can be gleaned from the shooting sports world or competition shooters. Trying to keep them completely separate and not not intermixing styles or techniques is IMO a big mistake.

Being open minded about techniques that actually works for whatever style, even in combat shooting is what keeps us progressing. Too many people want to poo poo things because it was a "competition thing". This is plain ignorance. Now I am not saying to adapt something "just because" it may be the flavor of the month, but if it is trained, practiced and vetted as an improvement, it does not matter who came up with it.

I also have no problem with people who use weapons for critical use or defensive purposes to also intermix in the shooting sports world. Having said that, I do not shoot competition, but my style is definitely a fusion of techniques that directly find their roots in the competition world. I do not teach competition shooting. I am still working actively on full time teams but I do I teach almost full time which is primarily in the advanced tactical or combat shooting realm. I have no civilian students and all of my students are Federal, State, Local LE or Military. I teach my style which is a fusion of varying styles, competition included.

This is a reward type of drill, where students run to the ragged edge of their own performance envelope and to the point of failure. It shows them their own limits and capabilities, but it is definitely a fun competitive thing with other students. The blend of combat shooting and competition techniques are clearly visible. The efficacy of a combat shooter trained in this manner is devastating.

Again this is one of my students that is currently in our training program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42   #45
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

There's no doubt that competition--when kept in context--can significantly enhance your ability to do the real deal when you need to. Competition teaches the ability to focus and perform under pressure--sometimes intense pressure. You learn a lot about yourself and your teammates through competition that I feel has direct bearing on how you perform under real combat.

Least in my experience it did.

Trust me...you want the guys with the drive to win on your side when the real thing goes down. Mindset, and the proven ability to focus and perform under pressure will beat the best trained quitters in the world every day. I believe that with all my heart.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:56   #46
TattooedGlock
NRA LIFE MEMBER

I love the brake on my POF. Does it give me ultimate control? Of course not. But it does help. After switching to an ACOG I no longer use BUIS due to the magnification, which my tired eyes really love. I may throw a BUIS on some offset mounts just to have it, but haven't decided yet.

Thanks for taking the time to write the AAR. I've been through a few schools and it's always great to learn new things. One thing I've learned over the years is that you might now use or agree with everything you learn, but if you come away with one new tool then it's money well spent.

GSSF Life Member
1911 Club and Big Dawg Member
TattooedGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48   #47
wrx04

Good review. I took that same course last March and learned a lot. I need to sign up for a few more this year.

Did you win the dollar game?
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 17:45   #48
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
Good review. I took that same course last March and learned a lot. I need to sign up for a few more this year.

Did you win the dollar game?
No, I hit the top of the circle around George Washington's face.

But I shot it standing up on my hind legs like a man...not crawling on my belly like a snake...