IPad.......
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04   #77
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post
The Nexus 7 has a 16gb version too. Supposedly some are working on attaching cell radios to the N7. And the no back camera, well the Kindle Fire didn't have one either. Frankly I have yet to use the front camera on my N7. With the addition of a cheap USB-OTG cable and a free app one has access to USB storage devices, including SD/microSd/Flash drives, and other external USB devices.

Much of the complaints about the N7 stem from people comparing it to more expensive tablets like the iPad, and expecting it to be something it's not. It's a low cost media consumption device. Fortunately the development community is finding ways to add more capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Well, yeah that's kind of why I ended up buying nothing. I probably went in with the wrong expectations.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24   #78
Timotheous46

I use a motorola xyboard and really like it
Wifi is spotty around here at best. The ability to use the 3g network is really helpful.
As a matter of fact i'm typing this while on a treadmill at the gym

Tim
Timotheous46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29   #79
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Well, yeah that's kind of why I ended up buying nothing. I probably went in with the wrong expectations.
One of the big problems with the Nexus 7 and why so many initially bashed it was because of the Asus Memo 370T (demo'd at CES this year) which the Nexus 7 is based on. The 370T was a just about perfect, it had a memory card slot, HDMI output, back facing HD camera with LED flash, GPS, NFC, Blue Tooth, and other features for an Asus estimated price of $250 or less. Hell, the Nexus 7 motherboard is even stamped "Asus ME370T". To make things worse, when Google demo'd the Nexus 7 at the Google I/O conference they showed the tablet doing screen mirroring via what appears to be an HTML connection. There were even pictures showing the HDMI port. Turns out they used a modified, non consumer release, version for the demo.

The Nexus 7, or Kindle Fire HD, or other 7 inch tables are not for everyone. They do have their drawbacks. For me typing on a 7 inch tablet is a little difficult. 10 inch tables are not for everyone either, they too have drawbacks, for me it was the larger size (can't pocket carry) and weight.

No tablet will satisfy everyone. For me the Nexus 7, at the time, had the most features for what I could afford, and was getting really good reviews. Sure I wish it had an memory card slot, back facing camera, and or HDMI/MHL support. But it doesn't. However, there is an easy workaround to the no memory slot issue, and there is supposedly a possible workaround to the HDMI/MHL issue in the works as well. Plus there are hacks to enable the use of a 3G dongle on the Nexus 7.

All in all I've been very satisfied with the Nexus 7 since I bought it in late July.

Edit to add: Here is the Google IO conference video where they demo the screen mirroring that is not available (as of yet) on the consumer released units.

Last edited by sbhaven; 10-06-2012 at 09:35..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:43   #80
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Apple's dominance of the tablet market is declining fast. Currently it is down to 52%. a Year ago Android had less than 20% of the tablet market. Today it holds 48%. That is a huge increase in market share in just a year.

Look for it to continue. A year from now expect to see Android with the dominant market share.

As it did with Smartphones Android will dominate not by building a BETTER tablet than iPad but by building CHEAPER tablets with reasonable performance and features.

Yeah, but you are likely still upset at overpaying for your first tablet...

The Okie Corral

Old 10-06-2012, 11:07   #81
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post
One of the big problems with the Nexus 7 and why so many initially bashed it was because of the Asus Memo 370T (demo'd at CES this year) which the Nexus 7 is based on. The 370T was a just about perfect, it had a memory card slot, HDMI output, back facing HD camera with LED flash, GPS, NFC, Blue Tooth, and other features for an Asus estimated price of $250 or less. Hell, the Nexus 7 motherboard is even stamped "Asus ME370T". To make things worse, when Google demo'd the Nexus 7 at the Google I/O conference they showed the tablet doing screen mirroring via what appears to be an HTML connection. There were even pictures showing the HDMI port. Turns out they used a modified, non consumer release, version for the demo.

The Nexus 7, or Kindle Fire HD, or other 7 inch tables are not for everyone. They do have their drawbacks. For me typing on a 7 inch tablet is a little difficult. 10 inch tables are not for everyone either, they too have drawbacks, for me it was the larger size (can't pocket carry) and weight.

No tablet will satisfy everyone. For me the Nexus 7, at the time, had the most features for what I could afford, and was getting really good reviews. Sure I wish it had an memory card slot, back facing camera, and or HDMI/MHL support. But it doesn't. However, there is an easy workaround to the no memory slot issue, and there is supposedly a possible workaround to the HDMI/MHL issue in the works as well. Plus there are hacks to enable the use of a 3G dongle on the Nexus 7.

All in all I've been very satisfied with the Nexus 7 since I bought it in late July.

Edit to add: Here is the Google IO conference video where they demo the screen mirroring that is not available (as of yet) on the consumer released units.
http://youtu.be/JKY9SPCki2s?t=8m27s
I'm gonna look again. I have an iPad 2 but want something smaller and lighter for in flight movies and quick document reference.

How does it compare to the Samsung in you opinion?
Old 10-06-2012, 21:07   #82
coastal4974

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrO... View Post
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Do you have to use the S pen? That would be a PITA to have to fumble for the pen every time you use the tablet.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26   #83
ClydeG19

Quote:
Apple's dominance of the tablet market is declining fast. Currently it is down to 52%. a Year ago Android had less than 20% of the tablet market. Today it holds 48%. That is a huge increase in market share in just a year.

Look for it to continue. A year from now expect to see Android with the dominant market share.

As it did with Smartphones Android will dominate not by building a BETTER tablet than iPad but by building CHEAPER tablets with reasonable performance and features.
Apple invented the tablet market. If we're looking at strictly market share, Apple had no where to go but down as soon as there was any competition. Tablets are one of the fastest growing consumer products. The numbers sold are only going up (both Apple and whatever flavor of Android).

OP, the Ipad mini is going to be unveiled on 10/17 and is rumored to hit the stores in early November. Personally, I'd wait to see what the Ipad mini is packing before choosing.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47   #84
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeG19 View Post
Apple invented the tablet market. If we're looking at strictly market share, Apple had no where to go but down as soon as there was any competition. Tablets are one of the fastest growing consumer products. The numbers sold are only going up (both Apple and whatever flavor of Android).

OP, the Ipad mini is going to be unveiled on 10/17 and is rumored to hit the stores in early November. Personally, I'd wait to see what the Ipad mini is packing before choosing.
Not really.

That would be Microsoft in 1999-2000 with the Microsoft Tablet PC.

The Okie Corral

10 years later after the technology advanced and components shrank in weight and cost did the iPad came out.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 10-07-2012 at 09:50..
syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56   #85
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth68 View Post
Yeah, but you are likely still upset at overpaying for your first tablet...

The Okie Corral

Hey! it was a ROCK SOLID tablet!!!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:03   #86
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Apple invented the tablet market.
Apple pretty much invented the personal PC. But Microsoft ended up dominating int he personal PC market.

It is seldom the originator that ends up dominating the market.

History will repeat itself but instead of Apple Vs. Windows it is going to be Apple vs. Android. Like Windows android is going to win the largest market share.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12   #87
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Apple pretty much invented the personal PC. But Microsoft ended up dominating int he personal PC market.

History will repeat itself but instead of Apple Vs. Windows it is going to be Apple vs. Android. Like Windows android is going to win the largest market share.
Actually Roberts is credit with the inventing the Altair PC in 1975. Woz and Jobs collaborated on the first Apple in 1976

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 10-07-2012 at 10:16..
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23   #88
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Actually Roberts is credit with the inventing the Altair PC in 1975. Woz and Jobs collaborated on the first Apple in 1976

Here we go….

Old 10-07-2012, 10:25   #89
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Like Windows android is going to win the largest market share.
Someone has to fill the cheap seats in the upper bleachers.

Apple seems to come along with quality and perfection, then every "me too!" in the trailer park who can't afford one waits for the cheap knockoffs. Then that crap sells like hotcakes.

Which for the frustrated who save up eventually turn into IPAD sales.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26   #90
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

The interesting thing is that despite market share numbers, apple is the most profitable in every space it plays.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28   #91
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Not really.

That would be Microsoft in 1999-2000 with the Microsoft Tablet PC.

The Okie Corral

10 years later after the technology advanced and components shrank in weight and cost did the iPad came out.
I wonder what that thing weighs.

And why I never saw a one. I heard something, vaguely…maybe a article or two, don't know that it ever got out there.
What did it do, or do well?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:31   #92
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Here we go….

Once again, nothing to add to the conversation.

Go be a dick elsewhere.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 10-07-2012 at 10:31..
Old 10-07-2012, 10:34   #93
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

And why I never saw a one. I heard something, vaguely…maybe a article or two, don't know that it ever got out there.
That has an HP logo on it
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37   #94
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Ah, clears that up.

I do give them credit for style. Considering the time frame that was pretty forward looking. But most HP stuff does double as a boat anchor.

Would have been the era incompetent Carly Fiorina. No wonder it couldn't make waves.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38   #95
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:

I don't know why you never heard of them, maybe your elementary school didn't have the funding to pick them up when they came out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

Old 10-07-2012, 10:41   #96
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:

Microsoft created the software and specifications but had others build the units.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44   #97
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
I don't know why you never heard of them, maybe your elementary school didn't have the funding to pick them up when they came out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51   #98
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?
This is the second thread you've walked into in a week and made a smart ass remark in regards to one of my posts that added absolutely nothing to the conversation.

In both cases what I stated was factual. I don't know why you take that personally but it appears you do. If you disagree with anything I have to say I'd be glad to address your points but at least have one.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:56   #99
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
The interesting thing is that despite market share numbers, apple is the most profitable in every space it plays.
That is generally because Apple does it better than the others.

But that "better" comes at the cost of premium prices which everyone is not willing to pay.

Hence Apple OS lost market share to second rate windows. because windows had features people wanted and was cheaper.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58   #100
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
This is the second thread you've walked into in a week and made a smart ass remark in regards to one of my posts that added absolutely nothing to the conversation.
I don't recall addressing you personally about anything. Nor would I care or have written it down.

You really need to switch to decaf. Metamucil might work too.

You know this is the lounge, right?

Last edited by G29Reload; 10-07-2012 at 11:00..
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote