Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:57   #1
lonewolf01

Does ankle carry get a bad rap?

I have an Alessi ankle holster for my Kahr P9 but I don't use it much. I usually carry a S&W 642 in my pocket. Anyway, I tried my ankle holster the other day and it was good. The pro's are that it can fit with almost all long pants and hides well, especially with jeans. I know the major drawback is, well, the draw. But is it really that much different then having to reach into your pocket or your IWB holster? It is obviously an advantage while you're in the car or sitting down in a resturant or whatever too. Is it really that bad?
"Come to me those of you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest" - Matt 11:28
lonewolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22   #2
Steve in PA

Practice makes perfect. Sounds simple.

Drawing from your ankle takes some practice compared to drawing from a holster on your belt or even from a pocket holster.

I carry a 642 as a BUG, primarily in an ankle holster. Sometimes an ankle holster is your best option, or only option when carrying, depending on your dress.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31   #3
Glockbuster

Ditto the above.

Also, drawing from jeans is especially difficult, more so than looser slacks and softer cloth. Consider doing a small job with velcro in the lower part of your jeans left inside seam. A good job will disguise it extremely well and access will be a lot easier. I carry my 340 PD every day and hardly know it is there, from the moment I put my socks on to my pajamas at night it is always there and has become part of my dresswear.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39   #4
LT642

I used to carry a 642 BUG on my ankle while on duty. It worked well for many years, but I always had it in the back of my mind that if I had to go hands on I had two guns to protect vs one, especially if the fight went to the ground. I now carry my j-frame in my off hand front pocket, I still am aware of two guns, but I feel it's less noticed and a little more secure in my pocket. Another plus is the ability to get to it if I must hold onto my Glock with my strong hand to defend against a gun grab or if my strong hand is injured.

If you drive all day or are sitting I think ankle carry has it's place, but there are other options available that merit consideration.

Last edited by LT642; 10-06-2012 at 12:40..
LT642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:30   #5
Rex G

Send a message via AIM to Rex G
There are times and places ankle carry works well enough, with some weapons. I no longer carry at the ankle on a regular basis. When I do, I use Alessi rigs, and the ankle gun is virtually always a second or even third gun. Much of the time, the ankle gun option, for me, has been when in police uniform.

I learned, over time, to occasionally perform a "stomp" test of an open-top ankle rig's ability to retain the weapon. (Do this on a soft surface, that will not scratch the weapon!) Even the excellent Alessi cannot retain its ability to retain a heavy weapon such as an SP101 forever. One may well still be able to run with a rig which fails the stomp test, but in a fight, with a powerful downward-stroke kick, the weapon's inertia could overcome the holster's friction.

My beloved Alessi lefty rig no longer carries an SP101 regularly, after failing the stomp test, after several years of regular use. Sometimes, I will use this ankle rig for vehicular travel, and transfer the SP101 to a pocket holster upon exiting the vehicle. This makes sense, as the pocket holster can be difficult from which to draw while seated, whereas the ankle rig is readily at-hand while seated. (I should add that my "primary" carry position is at 0300; the pocket or ankle position is for a second gun.)

Keep in mind that ankle rigs let a weapon get very dirty, very quickly, with everything from common grit to dust bunnies.
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:32   #6
M24C

I would say as a Bug it is fine. If it is normal carry no. To hard to draw from in most situations. It is better than not carrying. But very hard to draw on the run.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
40 Club number #164
M24C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:21   #7
Bruce M

Certainly would beat not having a gun when you needed one presuming you could get to it quickly enough.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:36   #8
Presscheck40
Presscheck40

I ankle carry everyday. I carry my g26 on my ankle while on duty at the PD. I have never had a problem and even sometimes forget I even have it on.

Presscheck40
Old 10-06-2012, 15:52   #9
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

I tried it once many years ago. Maybe the newer holsters are better but what if a person needs to run to get out of the rain or to take cover in a bad situation? Mine seemed to flop around a bit.

Like I said it's been years since I tried one.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:14   #10
Happypuppy

I know a lot of folks do it but I do not care for it. If someone is in top of you and your pants ride up ( which they will do) your leg it is seen and no way to guard it.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:53   #11
deutscheglocker

ankle carry

I've ankle carried for years and just took one off to clean up after putting my kiddos washer & dryer in.

I bought a P9 Covert about 10 yrs ago as a bug. After a bit of asking/looking, I settled for an Alessi. I wore it above my 8" work boot but it never seemed to cinch tight enough. I bought a cheap DeSantis Apache velcro wrap a round and liked it a lot better than Lou's rig.

I climbed through crawl spaces, up and down ladders all day, climbed through hospital ceilings, worked in trenches, ran after coffee trucks and had it on sometimes for 10 -12 hrs a day and literally forgot it was there.
Downside is holster life span which ranged from a year to about 2, depending on how crapped up the velcro got. I bought 4 at one time and the last one will need to be replaced soon. I wear a knee brace under it to keep it cleaner than not wearing something.

I understand DeSantis has a newer version and will look into it.

Like everything, presentation takes a fair amount of practice to do reasonable well and you DO have to practice. This BUG has become primary quite often and while it is the least optimal method to carry, it ensures that I have a gun. I carry 2 7 round mags in my front pocket and have had to replace jeans with holes in those pockets regularly.

It's not for everybody but it has become second nature to me even though I no longer work. It was always second to my Glock 23 when that was concealable
Pennsylvania Glocker #74
deutscheglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:19   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

I dont like it for primary carry. If going discreet I prefer pocket carry. I do carry a jframe on my ankle when working patrol as a BUG.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:04   #13
cadillacguns

I have a De Santis Apache also and use on long drives with my G-27.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:21   #14
Bren
NRA Life Member

Drawing from your ankle may be slower, but it beats not having a gun.

I know 3 police officers who have shot a person with their backup gun. All 3 had it in an ankle holster. One had plenty of time to draw, during a stand-off with a crazy guy, when he thought his S&W main gun wasn't working, and one drew while laying in his car seat with a guy trying to hit him with a crow bar. The third was on his knees with a loaded 10mm pointed at him, but the bad guy thought he had to rack the slide to chamber a round, like they do in the movies, which (sorry "Israeli method" guys) gave the officer time to draw his backup from the ankle holster and shoot the guy 7 times.

Last edited by Bren; 10-07-2012 at 12:15..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12   #15
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I worked at the Pentagon for awhile and we carried snub kframes in ankle holsters because the generals were afraid of guns. I'm here to tell you steel kframes don't make good ankle guns.

I am going to get an ankle holster for my 442 for those times when I will be doing a lot of sitting (church, going out to dinner, etc.).

The 442 is a backup to a belt carried gun.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 10-07-2012 at 07:12..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14   #16
snubfan
Giant Member

I don't do it often but I think it has its place and is one more option to have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
snubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39   #17
Darkangel1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf01 View Post
I have an Alessi ankle holster for my Kahr P9 but I don't use it much. I usually carry a S&W 642 in my pocket. Anyway, I tried my ankle holster the other day and it was good. The pro's are that it can fit with almost all long pants and hides well, especially with jeans. I know the major drawback is, well, the draw. But is it really that much different then having to reach into your pocket or your IWB holster? It is obviously an advantage while you're in the car or sitting down in a resturant or whatever too. Is it really that bad?
Dude....carry the way that makes you feel comfortable. Just read up and practice on getting to your handgun, all things will become apparent .
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40   #18
cajun_chooter

I ride a motorcycle at times... and an ankle holster w/G26 .. it fits the situation... its pretty easy to reach down and draw it.. but of coarse i have my G19 in IWB also..

cosmic
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:26   #19
SCmasterblaster

Just practice until it is second nature.