Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:17   #1
fendertele87

Polymer AR-15 Lower

Looking to start a build kit for an AR. I found a good deal on a polymer lower by "ATI Omni Stripped Lower Receiver" looking to see if anybody knows much about having a polymer lower or this company.
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Polymer AR lowers are problems in waiting. I have seen far too many that cracked, usually around the takedown pins or the threads for the buffer tube.

Yes, Glocks are made of polymer, but their design incorporated that from the beginning, and they still use metal reinforcement in many places. Very few (if any) AR lowers use such reinforcements, and the AR platform was designed for metal receivers.

Yes, plenty of people here will rush to defend them. When you can get aluminum, made to spec lowers for $20-50 more, though, why would you buy the inferior material? That extra $50 (worst case) is less than 10% of the cost of a half-decent AR build, yet it is for the serial numbered component and one of the more critical bts of the rifle.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:43   #3
boomhower

If you are going to use it for a dedicated .22 then go for it. Otherwise get a real lower. Instead of getting that for $40 get a blem regular from the same site for $60. I'd rather had a visual blem than a cracked lower in a couple thousand rounds or less.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:12   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

One of my local shops has them for cheap. They dont interest me, but they built two rifles from them and have run them through a lot of rounds. They often let the nay sayers run a few mags through mags through them.

From what I hear they have been reliable and held up well for several thousand rounds.

I agree with the above post about using one to make a .22 AR.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:02   #5
frankmako

i pickup a cal arms lower several years ago. builded a nice rifle with it. i have shot 1k's rounds plus and it has not given me any problems. no cracks, no nothing.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:55   #6
Cole125
Silver Membership

Don't buy it. Spend the extra money and get a mil-spec aluminum lower.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 00:51   #7
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Do yourself a favor and get a alloy lower.

You can thank me later.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Polymer AR lowers are problems in waiting. I have seen far too many that cracked, usually around the takedown pins or the threads for the buffer tube.

Sounds like internet logic to me, i.e,. "saw it or heard about it on the internet so therefore it must be true."

Yes, Glocks are made of polymer, but their design incorporated that from the beginning, and they still use metal reinforcement in many places. Very few (if any) AR lowers use such reinforcements, and the AR platform was designed for metal receivers.

And if the right polymers were available when the AR was developed it would likely have been made from them back then. In the near future, all ARs will be plastic.

Yes, plenty of people here will rush to defend them. When you can get aluminum, made to spec lowers for $20-50 more, though, why would you buy the inferior material? That extra $50 (worst case) is less than 10% of the cost of a half-decent AR build, yet it is for the serial numbered component and one of the more critical bts of the rifle.

On the other hand, if you want a polymer AR lower just go buy one. I have several Cav Arms lowers and they have held up well to extended use. Not exactly the same thing but they are plastic.

My response in red above

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21   #9
jbglock

I don't see why it should be an issue if the material is good. My Glocks don't have cracks around any of the pins. I'd prefer a poly lower just to decrease weight. Frankly you won't see acceptance of it by the masses until a big name like Colt or the military starts using them.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
My response in red above
Right, because ALL of my experience with the platform has been via Call of Duty and the internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
I don't see why it should be an issue if the material is good. My Glocks don't have cracks around any of the pins. I'd prefer a poly lower just to decrease weight. Frankly you won't see acceptance of it by the masses until a big name like Colt or the military starts using them.
Again, Glocks were designed for polymer from the beginning. When you can build the design around the strengths and weaknesses of polymer, then it should come as no surprise that it does well. Aside form a few teething problems, look at the SCAR as an example of this. Same goes for Glock, the HK polymer handguns, the S&W M&P, and many of the other polymer-based SMGs and rifles coming out now. You will also notice that almost every single one of those still retains metal in strategic locations to ensure strength of the finished product - something that is lacking in most (if not all) AR polymer lowers.

Taking a design built from the beginning for metallic structural parts, and trying to make them from polymer is just asking for problems. Look how many times a polymer 1911 has been tried, and how many of them have failed miserably.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35   #11
Ruggles

The don't "feel" right to me, too light I think. Throws off the overall feel of the gun for me.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52   #12
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
My response in red above
The main issue I see with polymer lowers is the area that the buffer tube screws into, its a high stress area with little material.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:23   #13
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a alloy lower.

You can thank me later.
Lol no kidding. Pistols designed around polymer- great. Rifles designed for aluminum- stick with aluminum.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:30   #14
denn1911

I'd like to see someone with first hand knowledge post in this thread who has put up thousands of rounds through their polymer receiver AR. I'm curious how they'd stand up with someone who runs their rifle hard. The only polymer receiver AR that I own is a dedicated .22lR rifle M&P15-22. I'm hard on my gear and wouldn't take the chance on a polymer receiver AR.
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote