Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 22:58   #1
*ASH*

sinus infection

i never knew they could whoop your ass and make your damn teeth hurt . i went to dentist yesterday with aweful pain in my gums and i felt like i wanted to dig my teeth out on the left side only .

i hope it passes if not im gonna have all my teef pulled , a frigging 600 mg lorcet dont help the pain much at all. he also put me on clefex i think
Old 10-06-2012, 23:57   #2
AKRover
10MM Fanatic

I just found out that one of the sinus nerves runs right next to the roots for your teeth. Immediately explained why teeth hurt when you have a sinus issue. Last time I had a sinus infection my teeth didn't hurt so much as I thought my nose was broken. It was one of the convenient times having a dentist in the family to get a prescription.
Glock 20, Colt Delta Elite, Sig 1911 Extreme, Norinco SKS-D, AK47, Marlin 795 .22LR, CZ 452 LH .22LR, Colt M4 .22LR, S&W M&P-15 Sport, Remington 700 SPS LH 300 Win Mag, Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga, Winchester 1300 Black Shadow 20ga
AKRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 00:10   #3
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Never used one myself, but have been told neti pots are pretty good in dealing with sinus infections.

Pawsitively Stylish Mobile Pet Salon (Southern California)
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20   #4
sombunya

I had a monster cold.

Two weeks later I came down with a violent case of Vertigo. Could not stand or walk without holding on to something. Almost totally incapacitated. I wouldn't wish it on my enemy.

Seems the infection traveled through my sinuses into my right ear. I hope you stay well.

http://www.hopeforpaws.org

Last edited by sombunya; 10-07-2012 at 01:20..
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32   #5
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwahl View Post
Never used one myself, but have been told neti pots are pretty good in dealing with sinus infections.
They certainly can be, but you have to start them early enough that your sinuses aren't completely obstructed. Or on your way to recovery when you again have some airflow between your nostrils.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04   #6
nursetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombunya View Post
I had a monster cold.

Two weeks later I came down with a violent case of Vertigo. Could not stand or walk without holding on to something. Almost totally incapacitated. I wouldn't wish it on my enemy.

Seems the infection traveled through my sinuses into my right ear. I hope you stay well.
Look up eustation tube dysfunction or eustation salapingitis.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32   #7
Longhammer

There may not be a cure to sinus colds. But I have found these things help alot to manage the symptoms. Try 500mg vitiman C, 2-3 times a day. It helps my body produce mucus, (which we need). I think it also curbs plaque buildup in the arteries. Don't take too much. If you do, the mucus gets too thinned out to do its job. And then you do have sinus problems. Eat oatmeal every morning with a tablespoon full of cinamon underneath (it helps the swelling of Arthritus and it tastes good). Hot spicy foods help by opening sinuses. And I heard wild honey helps you build up immunities to your local pollens that cause sinus infections in the first place,(I haven't tried that one yet). Netti pots will help you de-congest and sleep when nothing else will work. I always use the saleen salts provided, and warm water. Get a Flu Shot... If you do get a nagging cough. try eccanasia drops, (without alcohol). Drip a few drops right onto the back of your tounge. It will slow the coughing down a little. It tastes lousy, but you will learn to really appreciate it. It can actually nip a cough in the bud, if you catch it early enough. I take a few asprin at bed time too. I may die in my sleep someday, but it helps loosen things up, and I fall asleep quicker too. I swear by my C-pap machine. It has kept me from getting a sore throat for 5 years now! Breathing through the nose only, while sleeping is the reason. I have antibiotics prescribed too. I use them to control staff infections in my neck that flare up from time to time, and cause stiffness. Added benefit is, they come in handy if a real flu bug gets a grip on me. After 50 years I have found these truths to be self evident.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38   #8
Beretta92guy

oh man, last week i was sick as a dog with sinus/cold....felt like death-warmed-over.....

about the only relief was getting in the shower with the hottest water i could stand.....

sinus headaches and colds are the worst
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12   #9
GAFinch

Sudafed works wonders on sinus infections. Use the 12 hour stuff if possible.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14   #10
Hicksville Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
oh man, last week i was sick as a dog with sinus/cold....felt like death-warmed-over.....

about the only relief was getting in the shower with the hottest water i could stand.....

sinus headaches and colds are the worst
I've had sinus headaches for 40 years. I used to get them on the weekends. Wifey figured out it was the cheese on pizza we had on Fridays after work. Sometimes, not all the time. I'd be in bed or the shower for half a day. I take Psudoephedrine Hydrocloride 30mg. Generic or Sudafed brand name. You have to ask for it and sign for it (methheads use it to make meth). They keep it behind the counter because all the methheads were stealing it. Gov't stepped in and makes you sign and it's kept in a data base. Don't even try the Sudafed PE. It's 'candy' and doesn't help. Only take one.

I've learned to watch for signs of an oncoming headache. It usually starts on one side or the other of my head and starts behind the ear on the neck and works it's way over the top to behind my eyes. I've learned to catch it before I'm bedridden.

I hope this helps because they are a b****.
Hicksville Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47   #11
Rancher

Got one now. Had it for almost a week. Some days it is like my jaw won't close right and my teeth don't line up. Just dealing with it. I have dealt with them all my life.

About 5 years ago went to an ENT and he said I need surgery to do a roto-rooter type job on my sinuses. Got ready for the big day. Had to have my folks down to watch the kids. Was an outpatient procedure but was having to spend night in city cause he said area is so vascular it my need re-packed if it started bleeding. Was also not going to be able to lift anything over like 10 or 20 pounds for over a week so needed help on the farm.

Was getting prepped and nurse asked me a bunch of questions. Guess they forgot to give me patient hand out saying no asprin. I take one a day. Guy refused to do surgery, don't blame him. Guess the lady that was supposed to give me stuff had been out of office for a few weeks. So I go home and never have gone back to get it done. Really need to.

I was born with no sense of smell. ENT said my sinus cavity is screwed up causing the chronic infections and even with surgery would not get sense of smell, said nerve damage was done.

Good luck with yours.

Rancher
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32   #12
K.Kiser

I've had the teeth aches like mentioned on many occasions, and when it sets in hard it has been the amongst the worst pain I've felt and that surpasses a broken hand, fractured skull, being stabbed, and growing up with an older brother... The pain feels like someone has a cigarette lighter on my teeth, and I've accidentally clawed my fingernails into my gums in a frantic pain overload to find a mouthful of blood...

In the years I've had this and several trips to the doctor I have found that this has pretty much eliminated my causes for it...

-When you get the sinus trouble, start drinking tons of water to keep the mucus thin and flowing...

-Stop any dairy consumption to prevent mucus thickening

-Start taking maximum strength Mucinex, again with no dairy and lots of water..

-Keep this up until you're not sick anymore and you are blowing clear and clean...

This is to prevent old mucus from setting up stationary in your sinus, thus becoming infected...

On a side note, five years ago I quit taking all allergy or cold medicine... I only use mucinex and water to clear it out... I've gone from a hopeless allergy nightmare to someone that only has minor effects anymore and spring/ autumn doesn't make me suicidal... Coincidence, I don't know but I'm living a little bit better life and not complaining..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34   #13
MDLibertarian
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MDLibertarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwahl View Post
As someone who's suffered from chronic, severe sinus infections for more than 26 years I can say they do help, but be sure you follow the instructions for use, especially the ones pertaining to cleaning them, the lack of which was a contributing factor that led to the "brain-eating bacteria" that a few people experienced when they didn't clean them properly. Personally, I place mine in the microwave for 1 minute on high after each use and then let it air dry upside down. Also, use only distilled water in them. You should heat the water in the microwave for no more than 30 seconds on high since that's all you need for the premixed salt packets to dissolve and for the mixture to be warm enough to do the job, but not hot enough to harm your sinuses. I use mine almost daily, but especially during the two times of year when I'm most susceptible to them, or anytime I've been exposed to large amounts of dust or pollen.

Here is the method I use:

Do this twice daily at the onset of the infection, during the infection, and for a week after the infection, preferably after taking a hot shower or at least after placing placing a hot, damp towel on your face for a few minutes breathing in the steam. Over a sink (not that I should have to say that, but...), tilt your head forward so its slightly lower than level with the ground, turn it sideways slightly more than 90 deg., pour half of the mixture into your nose while keeping your mouth open (reduces any back pressure), and try not to breath while the mixture is passing through. Then tilt your head so you're facing the opposite direction and pour in the remaining half of the mixture. Once you've done that, snort what's left of the mixture (whatever didn't already drain out of your nose) back into your sinuses then blow it out through your nose while keeping your mouth open to, once again, reduce any back pressure.

Last edited by MDLibertarian; 10-07-2012 at 09:01..
MDLibertarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:52   #14
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
i never knew they could whoop your ass and make your damn teeth hurt . i went to dentist yesterday with aweful pain in my gums and i felt like i wanted to dig my teeth out on the left side only .

i hope it passes if not im gonna have all my teef pulled , a frigging 600 mg lorcet dont help the pain much at all. he also put me on clefex i think
Get thee a cortisone injection and a medrol pack. You'll feel better in 8 hours.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51   #15
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLibertarian View Post
As someone who's suffered from chronic, severe sinus infections for more than 26 years I can say they do help, but be sure you follow the instructions for use, especially the ones pertaining to cleaning them, the lack of which was a contributing factor that led to the "brain-eating bacteria" that a few people experienced when they didn't clean them properly. Personally, I place mine in the microwave for 1 minute on high after each use and then let it air dry upside down. Also, use only distilled water in them. You should heat the water in the microwave for no more than 30 seconds on high since that's all you need for the premixed salt packets to dissolve and for the mixture to be warm enough to do the job, but not hot enough to harm your sinuses. I use mine almost daily, but especially during the two times of year when I'm most susceptible to them, or anytime I've been exposed to large amounts of dust or pollen.

Do this twice daily at the onset of the infection, during the infection, and for a week after the infection, preferably after taking a hot shower or at least after placing placing a hot, damp towel on your face for a few minutes breathing in the steam. Over a sink (not that I should have to say that, but...), tilt your head forward so its slightly lower than level with the ground, turn it sideways slightly more than 90 deg., pour half of the mixture into your nose while keeping your mouth open (reduces any back pressure), and try not to breath while the mixture is passing through. Then tilt your head so you're facing the opposite direction and pour in the remaining half of the mixture. Once you've done that, snort what's left of the mixture (whatever didn't already drain out of your nose) back into your sinuses then blow it out through your nose while keeping your mouth open to, once again, reduce any back pressure.
The brain eating bacteria came from the water they put in them not a dirty pot. The cases I head about were all in the South where their water is known to have that bacteria.
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51   #16
RenoF250

Try some Alleve for the jaw pain. It worked great when I got sinus jaw pain.
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38   #17
VinnieD

Whatever you do, DON'T take a cough suppressant. If you are coughing up stuff, you're supposed to. Not coughing it up lets it get in the lungs and give you bronchitis. I learned this the hard way last winter.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31   #18
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
The cases I head about were all in the South where their water is known to have that bacteria.
Been in the south all my life, and have yet to hear this or even a mention of it..

Last edited by K.Kiser; 10-07-2012 at 12:31..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59   #19
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
Sudafed works wonders on sinus infections. Use the 12 hour stuff if possible.
Sudafed is not an antibiotic.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:02   #20
UtahIrishman
BLR

I get sinus infections all the time. Sudafed, Neti pots, Vicks Vapo-Rub, almost anything that helps open up your sinus passages, all help but don't really solve the problem.

When they get their worst I go to the doctor and he loads me up on anti-biotics but I don't like to do that too often.

Hope you feel better soon.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:27   #21
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Got one now. Had it for almost a week. Some days it is like my jaw won't close right and my teeth don't line up. Just dealing with it. I have dealt with them all my life.

About 5 years ago went to an ENT and he said I need surgery to do a roto-rooter type job on my sinuses. Got ready for the big day. Had to have my folks down to watch the kids. Was an outpatient procedure but was having to spend night in city cause he said area is so vascular it my need re-packed if it started bleeding. Was also not going to be able to lift anything over like 10 or 20 pounds for over a week so needed help on the farm.

Was getting prepped and nurse asked me a bunch of questions. Guess they forgot to give me patient hand out saying no asprin. I take one a day. Guy refused to do surgery, don't blame him. Guess the lady that was supposed to give me stuff had been out of office for a few weeks. So I go home and never have gone back to get it done. Really need to.

I was born with no sense of smell. ENT said my sinus cavity is screwed up causing the chronic infections and even with surgery would not get sense of smell, said nerve damage was done.

Good luck with yours.

Rancher
Rancher I had this done 1/11 along with a septoplasty. Most miserable experience of my life. They found I had a pseudomonas infx which ultimately required aerosol vancomycin for 30days.

However, while I've had a few sinus infxs over the last year I've only needed antibiotics once. They typically last 5 days or so and are FAR less severe and debilitating.

I can't say that I'd do it again but I'm glad its done.
Old 10-07-2012, 13:27   #22
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
Correct. Its a precursor to methamphetamine.
Old 10-07-2012, 13:28   #23
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLibertarian View Post

check out the waterpick style battery powered ones. awesome
Old 10-07-2012, 13:31   #24
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
No, but infections breed in clogged up sinuses. Sudafed drains the sinuses and results in the infection clearing up quickly instead of getting worse. It's best not to use antibiotics for things unless you really need to.

Last edited by GAFinch; 10-07-2012 at 13:32..
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:17   #25
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Twice a year I deal with the alergy season. Nothing but time helps. I chew lots of gum, drink lots of fluids and take Claertin D...not that I think it helps speed things along or not. It takes up to a month to get better.

I use a neti pot as well.

-Historian-
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote