Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 16:07   #1
herky

help me decide.....another patrol car thread

If you could choose your patrol car what would it be? The reason I ask is that I am in that unique situation. My boss has told me the choice is mine. I think I have it narrowed down to a Charger or Caprice.

Pros and Cons from you fellas that have some wheel time behind both would be very helpful.
herky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:15   #2
Metro566
Gunfighter

Charger.

Caprice, for me, is far too cramped and has a retarded floor-mounted shifter. Whoever thought that changing decades of console-mounted shifters over to a floor mounted one was a good idea is a dolt; if they haven't put it back up on the wheel they will shortly I'd guess. Two cities in my patrol area has them and they hate them. Six cities in our patrol areas and us use the Charger and love them. The other cities use the Taurus

IMO if you didn't like the Impala you won't like it's bigger brother...just my two pennies.

Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:32   #3
Glock45Lover

I got a new Charger in Feb 2011. Turned in a 2008 CVPI. To tell your the truth I was concerned for two reasons. 1. Dodge doesn't have the best reputation. 2. I am tall and wondered how comfortable the Charger would be.

Turns out, the Charger has been great. I haven't had a single problem with it and I am comfortable sitting in it and getting in/out of it as well. It's faster than the old CVPI too.

I have sat in a new Caprice, and it seems to have less room.

21 Club Member #4500.

Last edited by Glock45Lover; 10-06-2012 at 16:33..
Glock45Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:51   #4
boomhower

I'd probably go with the Ford w/ turbo. I really like the idea of AWD. I have a 2012 Charger and like except for one thing, it leaks gas fumes into the interior. I don't mean you get a whiff of it, I mean it will run you out of the car. It's not just my car. Of the four 2012's we have three of them do it. A couple troopers in our county, theirs do it. Took mine for some other issues to the dealership, and another was there with the same issue. Dodge refuses to do anything about it until the check light comes on. Until that happens I get to ride around smelling raw gas fumes. Thanks Dodge.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:53   #5
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Cop Talk
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:36   #6
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

It must be nice to have a choice. When I was in the patrol, they would just throw you keys-literally. About 20 percent of the time that meant missing the muster after muster because the last guy left you a flat that needed gas. Then in investigations they gave me an old chevy malibu and then and old dodge when I got more time in.
Old 10-06-2012, 18:36   #7
Vigilant

THIS!

Cop Talk

That's right, a Plymouth Reliant. I pay you knuckleheads' salaries, and this is better than you deserve! Riding around all high and mighty, bothering people who ain't doin nuthin wrong. Blah, blah, blah, blah.........

But it's all good. I don't have PTSD, but I do have a good case of athlete's foot.

Can we co-miserate and become pals?
Old 10-06-2012, 18:51   #8
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
THIS!

Cop Talk

That's right, a Plymouth Reliant. I pay you knuckleheads' salaries, and this is better than you deserve! Riding around all high and mighty, bothering people who ain't doin nuthin wrong. Blah, blah, blah, blah.........

But it's all good. I don't have PTSD, but I do have a good case of athlete's foot.

Beefy, is that you? Seriously, though. I once had some woman say, "I pay your salary!" I offered her a penny and asked if she'd like it back.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 10-06-2012 at 18:52..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:13   #9
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

We are testing both. The caprices suck, unless you are gnome sized. I can hardly get in the dang thing. The v8 chargers we got are a lot of fun to drive, but still have the same charger suckitude as previous models (blind spots, acceleration delays). I would pick the charger based solely on interior size between those two. If I could choose any vehicle it would be a Tahoe or silverado hate getting in/out of cars. Life is tough at 6'5 haha

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

Last edited by SCSU74; 10-06-2012 at 21:15..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:43   #10
jbglock

Personally I'm holding on to my Crown Vic as long as I can. The Chargers I've seen have a full size spare in the trunk so basically have no trunk room. Are all of them like that?
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:33   #11
herky

I am a bit surpised about the room or lack thereof in the Caprice. I was under the impression the Caprice has more room than the Charger. I am glad I asked people in the know.
herky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00   #12
Schaffer

The Awd interceptor with the 3.5tt. My pov is all wheel drive with a turbo strapped to it. I'm very comfortable driving it and I would feel at home in the new fords.

Behind that I would take a charger.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30   #13
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
I am a bit surpised about the room or lack thereof in the Caprice. I was under the impression the Caprice has more room than the Charger. I am glad I asked people in the know.
Once the cage is in the caprice it is tinyyyy. I've talked to guys who've tried the new ford awd car and love it. May be worth looking at?

Last edited by SCSU74; 10-07-2012 at 09:31..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07   #14
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
THIS!

Cop Talk

Holy crap! I remember seeing that car(s) in Lincoln, NE.
Old 10-07-2012, 15:22   #15
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

You may want to check out what the Michigan State Police evals say to get a more objective comparison.

My agency issues cars to Deputies. We have two chargers assigned to a special unit, and seem to be held in high regard by the two that drive them. Soon we will be replacing all of our worn out CVPI's with the plain jane Taurus. I got to look at another County's Taurus when at training in London Ohio a couple weeks ago.

From what I have seen with the Taurus:

1. The B pillar was moved forward, preventing you from pivoting and getting out of the driver's seat.

2. The trunk is very high, making it very difficult to see out the back.

3. The spare tire is now mounted at the bottom of the trunk = you now have to empty everything out when you get a flat... I have changed 4 or 5 this year alone in my CVPI. This may be a PITA for you.

4. The plain jane Taurus 6 cylinder is supposed to have about 20 horses more than the CVPI, and of course front wheel drive... means it will have a larger turning radius, and different handling.

5. There is a neat little cutout for your radar counter in the center of the dash. Nice thought, but seems like it would be hard to visually estimate your target vehicle speed, look at the counter display, and compare that to your vehicle speed while driving. Would have been a much better idea to have it right above the instrument cluster.

Does your agency have any SUV's? Some other considerations will be whether your agency allows pursuits, needs some off road capability or how much snow your area gets. The Tahoes used to be popular on this forum, and Explorers seem to be getting some approval... at least when I was in London taking a crash investigation course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 10-07-2012 at 20:44..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:07   #16
x_out86

I just got my 2012 Charger about 2 months ago and really cant complain at all. The handling is leaps and bounds better than the CVPI and you get much more feedback from the car. Not like the CVPI where it just felt kind of sloppy and bumbling.

It drives great and has lots of room. Only thing I dont like about it compared to the CVPI is the trunk. Its not nearly as deep because the spare tire is under the trunk liner. Makes more sense for the spare to be out of the way, but limits your storage.

Oh and it looks BAD ASS! I get no less than two or three comments per shift from people about how cool my car looks.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Last edited by x_out86; 10-07-2012 at 20:09..
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:08   #17
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Beefy, is that you? Seriously, though. I once had some woman say, "I pay your salary!" I offered her a penny and asked if she'd like it back.
I'm waiting for someone to say that to me. I'm going to enjoy ruining their day when I tell them I'm a reserve.

Oh I would take the SUV as my patrol vehicle if given a choice.

Outhouse Hub, the misinformation solution.
Old 10-08-2012, 14:31   #18
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
I'm waiting for someone to say that to me. I'm going to enjoy ruining their day when I tell them I'm a reserve.

Oh I would take the SUV as my patrol vehicle if given a choice.

Outhouse Hub, the misinformation solution.
I just tell them that I'm a taxpayer so I pay my own salary.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:00   #19
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
We are testing both. The caprices suck, unless you are gnome sized. I can hardly get in the dang thing. The v8 chargers we got are a lot of fun to drive, but still have the same charger suckitude as previous models (blind spots, acceleration delays). I would pick the charger based solely on interior size between those two. If I could choose any vehicle it would be a Tahoe or silverado hate getting in/out of cars. Life is tough at 6'5 haha

Really I love the Caprice I'm 6 3 and 250 ish love the caprice and it rides better and is much faster than the chargers...also more room.

The Ford is the worst to get in and out of ...Have driven them all and just got out of a Tahoe love the caprice 6.0 and the trunk has alot of room.
Old 10-08-2012, 22:05   #20
CW Mock

Blah, Chargers.

Aka Shop Queens.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote