SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:14   #21
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

My vote is for the Remington 700p or LTR (depending on you barrel length preference) and a Leupold MK4 4-14x50. It will max out your budget but buy once, cry once. Dont buy a substandard rifle only upgrade later, that costs too much.
Old 10-06-2012, 22:57   #22
DEE50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntmedik View Post
Unless you are sitting in a blind overlooking a large field, you are not going to enjoy hunting with a "sniper rifle".
I have a blind overlooking a large field. Correct.
DEE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:07   #23
DEE50

Okay, to clear some things up I am wanting a round that has power and long range capability yet not too powerful such as a .338 Lapua or .50 BMG but rather maybe .30-06 or .308 Winchester.

And since I got harrasment for saying this I think I will clear it up, what I really meant by saying, "Something tactical looking" is that aside from the fact that I will not be using this gun for law-inforcement but rather Hunting and sporting I still would like a gun that either is or cosmetically looks like a SWAT or Military type rifle rather than an old grandfathers hunting rifle persay.
Does that make sense?

I am leaning toward a Savage or a Remington 700. Is it true that the 700 can go off without the trigger being pulled but by merely being tapped?

Can someone tell me more about Savage and Remington Rifles?

Last edited by DEE50; 10-06-2012 at 23:07..
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58   #24
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEE50 View Post
I am leaning toward a Savage or a Remington 700. Is it true that the 700 can go off without the trigger being pulled but by merely being tapped?

Can someone tell me more about Savage and Remington Rifles?
My 700 trigger is great. I guess it will fire if you "tap" it hard enough. I don't really know what you're asking.

It's adjustable from 1.5-5.5 lbs. (IIRC)

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:08   #25
CanMan

Potential Remington 700 Rifle Accidental Discharge

Remington Under Fire: A recent CNBC Documentary Investigation of the popular Remington 700 Rifle raised my eyebrows. It appears that there have been numerous customer complaints involving the premature detonation of a chambered round without the trigger being pulled in the 700 series rifles manufactured as early as 2002 to the present, suggesting that there is a serious manufacturing defect in the trigger mechanism.

The CNBC documentary also reports that numerous police departments across the country have abandoned the use of this popular "Sniper Rifle", with many police departments reporting that they have had "hands on" experiences with such premature detonations. The US Army & the US Marine Corp Sniper Training Schools have also complained to Remington that such dangerous malfunctions have ocurred at their training facilities, suggesting that the mear "touching" of the bolt with a chambered round was sufficient to cause detonation. Remington has assurred its customers that their popular rifle is "perfectly safe", as they have not been able to duplicate any such malfunctions at their testing facilities. However, they also stated that the 700 series in question were no longer under "warranty", and that perhaps these rifles have been modified or poorly maintained.

In statements released by the US Army & US Marine Corp, as well as by Police Departments across the Nation, all maintain that none of their 700 series that have malfunction were altered in any manner, nor were they improperly maintained.

I believe this was the beginning of the X-Mark Pro trigger.

http://www.remington.com/en/pages/xm...o-trigger.aspx

Last edited by CanMan; 10-07-2012 at 12:09..
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:44   #26
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
my favorite rifle build that would qualify for your wants was a remington 700 AAC-SD rifle in .308. its a varmint contour at 20" long that is threaded from the factory with a 1:10 twist for the heavier bullets. i personally like the HS stock that comes on the 5R mislpec so look for one of those as take-offs from SnipersHide or other forums. Seekins Precision 20MOA base and rings with a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x scope with a MOA reticle and turrets would be my ideal gun for my available ranges.
Old 10-07-2012, 14:17   #27
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Is there any truth in the rumor that the rem. 700 goes without pulling the trigger?
Yes, I have had a trigger fail on an older M700. The failure was obvious. Anyone who has had an accident with their trigger failure was not following the rules of gun safety.
Old 10-07-2012, 14:31   #28
mac66
Plant the seed

Just the fact that the OP used the term "sniper rifle" makes me want to severely ridicule him. Then I realized that would be unfair because A-he just doesn't know any better, and B-maybe what he really wants to do is go snipe hunting.

Most people use sticks and a burlap bag for snipe hunting and if he really wants to go I would be happy to take him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:14   #29
ithaca_deerslayer

I like my Savage 10FP in .308 with a 24" barrel.

You can pick from at least 3 different stock choices from the factory. Keep in mind that you can also find aftermarket stocks for most any rifle.

The trigger on the 10FP is adustable to a very light target weight, and meant to be very easily adjusted by you, the end consumer, no gunsmith needed at all.

I shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards, with an inexpensive ($100) 4-12x 44mm scope. A better shooter, better scope, who knows how good it could be. I use factory ammo. Handloaders may do better. But honestly, there's not a lot of people I see at gun clubs who can shoot under 1" with 5 shots in a row with whatever rifle they've been bragging about. Lots of guys say they can do it, but then they don't, and they come up with all sorts of excuses.

As far as long range shooting, the most difficult part is knowing the distance, the bullet trajectory, the wind, and mentally putting it all together. Just because I can shoot good at 100 or 200 yards, does NOT mean I could make a 600 yard shot. I don't have the experience at anything over 300 yards. I won't know either the hold over, or the scope adjustment for the holdover, nor the effect of the wind. Is the bullet dropping 35 inches or 49 inches? Is the target at 600 yards or 712 yards? Will the wind drift the bullet 6" left, or 13" right?

I believe my rifle is good enough to make hits at 600 yards, but I wouldn't shoot a deer past 200 yards unless I put a lot of time in at greater distances at that longer range. And you may not even be ready for 50 yards yet (for all I know). Different people have different experiences and will make different decisions

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPMcMILLAN

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 10-07-2012 at 19:25..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:31   #30
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Rem 700 tactical/ or LTR/ Police/ SPS Tactical and a good scope will shoot further than you're likely to shoot until you've got quite a bit of trigger time.

Personally, I wouldn't own a Savage.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:49   #31
DEE50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Just the fact that the OP used the term "sniper rifle" makes me want to severely ridicule him. Then I realized that would be unfair because A-he just doesn't know any better, and B-maybe what he really wants to do is go snipe hunting.

Most people use sticks and a burlap bag for snipe hunting and if he really wants to go I would be happy to take him.
But why respond with harassment to a sincere post in the first place?

Last edited by DEE50; 10-10-2012 at 21:50..
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47   #32
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
But why respond with harassment to a sincere post in the first place?
There's certain words that just set some people off. Someone else would have gotten mad if you said you wanted the gun to have a high capacity clip.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46   #33
maxpower220

I suggest using the search button and read a lot at SniperHide.com. There is a lot of info over there which will guide you in the right direction. As alluded to, buying a .308 and a nice scope doesn't mean you will hit anything at 600-1000 yds. Reading, learning and understanding will play a much bigger part in that development.

I suggest that you find a nice .22 bolt rifle and decent glass. Work your way out to 100 yds using cost effective .22. When you have that mastered, work out to 200yds. If you every get that figured out consistantly, then look at buying a .308 (or whatever). All of the basics can be learned for a fraction of the cost.
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 16:23   #34
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

A few years ago I picked up this 700 Police with the scope and bipod for $1500...

General Firearms Forum

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 16:36   #35
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post

Personally, I wouldn't own a Savage.
Why is that?
Old 10-11-2012, 16:43   #36
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

I've got an accutrigger/accustock Savage 16 in 7mm WSM with a Vortex Viper PST 4-14x44. It's (almost) sniper accurate.

Sig FTW - nice setup!
Old 10-11-2012, 16:52   #37
MoparMan1991

I've got a Thompson/Center Venture in .308 Winchester. It has a 60 degree three lug bolt and has a MOA accuracy out of the box. It comes with an adjustable trigger which feels to be right about 3 lbs all the way down. I've got it paired up with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, a Winchester bipod, a sling, and an ammo sleeve for the stock that holds an additional 9 rounds. I'll get some better pictures of it and post them up. All together the setup cost me about $910 USD.

Don't mind the hideous orange felt on the pool table, It was free.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by MoparMan1991; 10-11-2012 at 17:14..
MoparMan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:06   #38
Wurger

Quote:
I have a blind overlooking a large field. Correct.
One vote for the Remington 700 VLS.

Like the looks better than the typical 'black' rifle.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l-700-vls.aspx

Real world price of <$800 from Bud's.

Love mine. Great for long range. I've already carried mine up mountains for white tails in PA. Not the lightest but can be done. The .308 is available everywhere and is considered an accuracy round.
Wurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:07   #39
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Why is that?
I didn't post it but I wouldn't own one either. I can't dispute that they are accurate guns but the build quality and fit/finish was rougher than a cob on every Savage I have ever laid hands on. They are very accurate for budget rifles, just not my cup of tea.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-11-2012, 20:10   #40
Wurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post

Just 'the fact' that you have to interject PC bull makes me want to 'severly ridicule' you.

Boy......hope he dosen't want one in 'black' (evil black gun) as well......

Last edited by Wurger; 10-11-2012 at 20:12..
Wurger is offline   Reply With Quote