GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 18:51   #26
Comrade Bork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
Seems there are alot of you atheists here. So instead of fighting with you I would like you to list your reasons and arguments for why there is no god. I've argued with you recently, now here's your chance to "educate" us poor intellectually inferior Christians. Explain everything!!! Every reason you have not to believe. Believe it or not I'm actually interested in your thoughts.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
There are only two possibilities here:

(1) God does NOT exist.

(2) God DOES exist.

If God DOES exist, there either (2A) is such evidence, or (2B) God does not allow such evidence to be seen by mortal man such that his existence is irrefutable fact.

If God does NOT exist, there is obviously no evidence to point to his non-existence. All we agnostic/aetheists can point to is a lack of proof of existence, or (2B).

There is simply no evidence either way, which is the same as (2B), God does not allow any such evidence to be seen....etc.

It is the faithful who insist that God DOES exist while producing absolutely NO credible evidence that God does in fact exist.

What is more and worse, not only do they insist upon such Godly existence without proof, they have the sheer gall to tell the rest of us "what God wants" and "how God wants us to live our lives."

Sorry.

Before I am going to let some Shaman who says he speaks on behalf of God run my life, first he is going to have to provide me with some credible evidence that God exists and God him/her/itself tells me that said Shaman does in fact speak for him/her/it.



Short of such proof, all organized religions are nothing more than con game scams, and all "religious clergy" by whatever name they call themselves, are simply con men.

And all of the "faithful" are nothing more than gullible marks.

Last edited by Comrade Bork; 10-05-2012 at 18:54..
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 18:51   #27
mike g35
RACEGUN SHOOTER
 
mike g35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charleston W.V.
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Well, I can't argue with any of that, except to say that evolution is actually theory, in the scientific sense, much stronger than fact.
Semantics LOL


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Carver Custom Team
GSSF, USPSA, NRA
www.bb-enterprise.biz
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:09   #28
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 9,902
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
Semantics LOL


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
No. Stick around here long enough and you'll see the reason for having clearly defined language.
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" - youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." - JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." - OXCOPS
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:54   #29
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
We'll, after reading all the responses I will agree that you all make valid points that are stated well and are well thought out. BUT, I still can't help but feel there's more to the mysteries of the universe than science.
Science is just our language of understanding nature. Science is the explanation and not a force or religion of it's own.

Quote:
Meaning I still think we have a higher power than ourselves looking out for and after us.
This is the only part of your statement I take issue with. When I see all the suffering going on in the world... I do not think there is a being looking after us. Take a look at that picture again. That is life. If there is a God or higher being... He/She/It/They are not involved in our daily lives. Of that I'm certain. That feeling that someone was looking out for you when you had that motorcycle wreck and barely got a scratch... There's no magic to that. You could have just as easily died. Random chance mixed with a million other variables. I know it makes you feel good to think there was an angel or spirit or fairy or elf watching over you. But we really are just animals like any other doing our best to survive in our environment.

Quote:
It's hard to explain, though I know evolution is FACT and I believe nearly all that science teaches us I can't help but FEEL there's more to our existence than that. Is it god? Is it our ancestors? Is it aliens? Is it a hot Asian chick riding an elephant with a mini gun on its head? I have no freaking idea. But I FEEL there's more, and since that's what I feel that's what I will continue to believe. Maybe one day god or whatever will reveal itself to us, or maybe not, but until I KNOW I will continue to search for answers.
P.S. I do not let religious dogma from past centuries rule my behavior. I'm a modern believer with modern beliefs and I refuse to curb my "god given" appetites and my nature. Ill enjoy what I like and hope for the best.
I know what you mean. I call that the residue of God. I felt it too when I lost my faith. I felt like there was still something there. Almost like when someone dies and you go into their house and for a second you swear you can feel their presence. For me it passed. As I mourned the death of God... it got easier to realize that he was never there in the first place.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 23:42   #30
Chronos
Senior Member
 
Chronos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,934
IMO, Bertrand Russel summarized well the position of most modern, self-described atheists:

Quote:
Here there comes a practical question which has often troubled me. Whenever I go into a foreign country or a prison or any similar place they always ask me what is my religion.

I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God.

On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof.

Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line.
__________________
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:21   #31
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,643
I was raised Catholic, did the whole school thing, altar boy etc. Then I began to question and was told not to question, I thought for myself and looked for reason and proof as I began to see the control mechanisms inherent in religion. The guilt based methodologies and blind faith fairy tales that just do not make sense in the physical world were just too much without a shred of proof or evidence for any sort of deity. There will always be that division between theists and atheists, however the burden of proof lies in the lap of the theists. Still to this day...not a single morsel of evidence. I will stick with logical thought, scientific fact and proof. Doesn't make me a bad person, however it does in the eyes of the devout...the hypocrisy is stifling.
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09   #32
mike g35
RACEGUN SHOOTER
 
mike g35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charleston W.V.
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
This is the only part of your statement I take issue with. When I see all the suffering going on in the world... I do not think there is a being looking after us. Take a look at that picture again. That is life. If there is a God or higher being... He/She/It/They are not involved in our daily lives. Of that I'm certain. That feeling that someone was looking out for you when you had that motorcycle wreck and barely got a scratch... There's no magic to that. You could have just as easily died. Random chance mixed with a million other variables. I know it makes you feel good to think there was an angel or spirit or fairy or elf watching over you. But we really are just animals like any other doing our best to survive in our environment.
And this is where I disagree with you. No hate or hurt feelings just something we disagree on. I feel that god or whatever watches out for us, that doesn't always mean flowers and rainbows. There is no better way to educate the human race than through suffering. We learn by experiencing pain. Like a child grabbing a hot pan on a stove top. Now am I saying that's cool or something that I agree with? No, but its the way I see things.
When I got cancer I was a 19 year old straight A college student who had lived a nearly perfect life. My faith wavered and I began living a hedonistic lifestyle. Then, after crawling out of the depths of my own self destruction, I began to understand that all the bad had led me to where I was and I was happy. Gods plan or coincidence? I'm sure we will disagree on this, but at least now that we've read each others thought and views we can disagree while still respecting each others views and each others right to express their views.
However, I still don't think atheists should post on threads by Christians telling them how wrong they are and making fun at their expense. Not for religious reasons, and not because of the first amendment, basically just because its disrespectful to others. Being polite is the right thing to do, whether your a Christian or an atheist or an odinite or whatever you may be. We all have the right to enjoy our faith or lack of faith or whatever.



Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Carver Custom Team
GSSF, USPSA, NRA
www.bb-enterprise.biz
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:51   #33
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
All I can say is, 'thank god I'm an atheist!', and I would only hope to live to see the day we elect our first Atheist president. There's still a lot of 'closet atheist'. We need to come out in the open.

I sum up my atheism with two quotes.

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls." Albert Einstein

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:45   #34
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,408


Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
However, I still don't think atheists should post on threads by Christians telling them how wrong they are and making fun at their expense. Not for religious reasons, and not because of the first amendment, basically just because its disrespectful to others. Being polite is the right thing to do, whether your a Christian or an atheist or an odinite or whatever you may be. We all have the right to enjoy our faith or lack of faith or whatever.
First, we don't argue against theists just for the sake of making them look stupid (although I do concede that sometimes civility breaks down here).

Second, the problem with this thought is that you assume that faith in a deity is a harmless act. It is far from it. Once you convince yourself that you know what this supreme deity wants from you and others it becomes very easy to justify actions that would not be ethical otherwise.

Even in a democratic republic such as the US, we have theists attempting to vote their beliefs on everyone. Abortion restrictions, gay marriage bans, stem cell research limitations are just a few examples. If theists would leave their beliefs out of the public debate then I would gladly leave the topic alone, but as long as they keep trying to enforce their views on everyone then I will keep arguing against them and I don't really care if I have to be impolite about it.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-06-2012 at 18:46..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:50   #35
Comrade Bork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Second, the problem with this thought is that you assume that faith in a deity is a harmless act. It is far from it. Once you convince yourself that you know what this supreme deity wants from you and others it becomes very easy to justify actions that would not be ethical otherwise.
Such as, hijacking and slamming airplane loads of screaming passengers into skyscrapers full of screaming victims.....all to the greater glory of Allah, perhaps?

Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:26   #36
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,408


Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post
Such as, hijacking and slamming airplane loads of screaming passengers into skyscrapers full of screaming victims.....all to the greater glory of Allah, perhaps?

Those too, of course, but there are many more subtle ways that religion hurts society. The political realm, already crippled under the weight of partisanship is further hindered by primitive notions of morality brought forward by those still adhering to ancient religions.

Many of the faithful don't even realize that they themselves are being hurt by their faith. They might never know what they could have achieved if only they had focused on developing their potential instead of following what they "discerned" to be god's purpose for their life. Sure, religion has helped some, but I'm convinced it's net effect is far from positive.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:35   #37
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
Sure, religion has helped some, but I'm convinced it's net effect is far from positive.
Religion helps people like zip + 4 helps get mail to santa's workshop.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:43   #38
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
We'll, after reading all the responses I will agree that you all make valid points that are stated well and are well thought out. BUT, I still can't help but feel there's more to the mysteries of the universe than science. Meaning I still think we have a higher power than ourselves looking out for and after us. It's hard to explain, though I know evolution is FACT and I believe nearly all that science teaches us I can't help but FEEL there's more to our existence than that. Is it god? Is it our ancestors? Is it aliens? Is it a hot Asian chick riding an elephant with a mini gun on its head? I have no freaking idea. But I FEEL there's more, and since that's what I feel that's what I will continue to believe. Maybe one day god or whatever will reveal itself to us, or maybe not, but until I KNOW I will continue to search for answers.
P.S. I do not let religious dogma from past centuries rule my behavior. I'm a modern believer with modern beliefs and I refuse to curb my "god given" appetites and my nature. Ill enjoy what I like and hope for the best.



Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Again, not trying to be an ass, but you're feeling your way through this. Which sounds like you're feeling with emotion.

Good comparison to this, would be anti-gunners or on the fence people who feel gun control reduces crime, even when there's no solid proof it does indeed do this.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:46   #39
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
All I can say is, 'thank god I'm an atheist!', and I would only hope to live to see the day we elect our first Atheist president. There's still a lot of 'closet atheist'. We need to come out in the open.

I sum up my atheism with two quotes.

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls." Albert Einstein

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11

Why are you so concerned if the president is Atheist, or not? As long as he/she does not legilsate their biblical morals into law, there shouldn't be an issue here.

Me personally, I'm worried if the president is for the constitution, and his policies, not what imaginary friend he/she believes in.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:17   #40
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,408


Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Why are you so concerned if the president is Atheist, or not? As long as he/she does not legilsate their biblical morals into law, there shouldn't be an issue here.
I'm not aware of any theistic belief system that does not require its followers to adhere to doctrine in all aspects of life. In other words, if a christian truly believes in their faith then they are required to follow the tenets of that faith in all circumstances. So, if a christian is elected president then they have a dilemma. Either do the job in the manner that those that elected them want it done, or do it in the manner that they believe god wants it done.

I witnessed this first hand when I attended a christian business school. Each class incorporated christian principles into the curriculum in the form of a "christian worldview" assignment in which you had to deal with a scenario where the correct business decision was not entirely in alignment with christian principles. The "correct" answer was invariably considered to be the one that put god before stakeholders.

Simply put, a christian can not avoid legislating their faith (and still be considered a good christian).
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-06-2012 at 20:23..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:25   #41
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Why are you so concerned if the president is Atheist, or not? As long as he/she does not legilsate their biblical morals into law, there shouldn't be an issue here.

Me personally, I'm worried if the president is for the constitution, and his policies, not what imaginary friend he/she believes in.
An openly atheist POTUS would be just as significant to our national I.D. as the first African American, first woman, first 'fill in the blank' president. It would mean we have made tremendous strides towards tolerance, diversity and the absolute meaning of 'freedom of religion'.

It has been my finding that people of my particular complexion have not faired very well in holy scriptures. We often seem to be a curse of some sort or find ourselves enslaved.

At least the Constitution (by way of amendment) recognizes my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:29   #42
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
I'm not aware of any theistic belief system that does not require its followers to adhere to doctrine in all aspects of life. In other words, if a christian truly believes in their faith then they are required to follow the tenets of that faith in all circumstances. So, if a christian is elected president then they have a dilemma. Either do the job in the manner that those that elected them want it done, or do it in the manner that they believe god wants it done.

I witnessed this first hand when I attended a christian business school. Each class incorporated christian principles into the curriculum in the form of a "christian worldview" assignment in which you had to deal with a scenario where the correct business decision was not entirely in alignment with christian principles. The "correct" answer was invariably considered to be the one that put god before stakeholders.

Simply put, a christian can not avoid legislating their faith (and still be considered a good christian).
As much as I detest religion, all religious folk do not inject their religious views into their political beliefs. To quantify how many do or don't is up for debate. To say they all do, isn't accurate though.

Are those who don't inject their religious views into politics not "religious" by your standards? Perhaps...... But if they go by the Christian label, but adhere to good policies that advocate freedom (libertarianism in my case if I were to vote for a religious politician).
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:34   #43
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
An openly atheist POTUS would be just as significant to our national I.D. as the first African American, first woman, first 'fill in the blank' president. It would mean we have made tremendous strides towards tolerance, diversity and the absolute meaning of 'freedom of religion'.
First black president, female, etc is insignificant in my eyes. It's the policy that matters, not the religion, or lack thereof.



I'm Atheist, but I do not live in a fantasy world that all Atheists are amazing people. If I'm not mistaken, Stalin was an Atheist, we saw how well he worked out in a position of power.......






Quote:
It has been my finding that people of my particular complexion have not faired very well in holy scriptures. We often seem to be a curse of some sort or find ourselves enslaved.

Nothing to do with politics if the person of faith keeps their religion out of their policies, and understands the constitution and freedom.







Quote:
At least the Constitution (by way of amendment) recognizes my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Good, and (should) hold liberty higher than any religion. We're a republic, not a theocracy.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:36   #44
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 13,408


Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
As much as I detest religion, all religious folk do not inject their religious views into their political beliefs. To quantify how many do or don't is up for debate. To say they all do, isn't accurate though.
I didn't say they all do, I merely stated that they must make a choice. Certainly, many think up inventive equivocations to rationalize their choice, but the bible (if read plainly and in context) is clear on this point. Compromise is not allowed. A benevolent, divinely inspired monarchy is put forth in the bible as the perfect form of government, not a democratic republic such as we have in this country.
__________________
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-06-2012 at 20:38..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:46   #45
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
I didn't say they all do, I merely stated that they must make a choice. Certainly, many think up inventive equivocations to rationalize their choice, but the bible (if read plainly and in context) is clear on this point. Compromise is not allowed. A benevolent, divinely inspired monarchy is put forth in the bible as the perfect form of government, not a democratic republic such as we have in this country.

Fair enough then, many religious folk don't follow their bibles to a T. If they did, we'd really be screwed! The few that do we call "extremists"

Anyways, my point is, if that politician claims to be of faith, but does not follow the bible when it comes to politics (and advocates freedom/personal liberties). I'll take him any day over an "Atheist" like Stalin. Religion, or lack thereof does not automatically make you a good or bad politician.

Back to what you were originally getting at though, yes I wouldn't want someone who followed the bible to a T, because I'm not a fan of the government it advocates, as you said.

Last edited by OctoberRust; 10-06-2012 at 20:46..
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:09   #46
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
First black president, female, etc is insignificant in my eyes. It's the policy that matters, not the religion, or lack thereof.

I'm Atheist, but I do not live in a fantasy world that all Atheists are amazing people. If I'm not mistaken, Stalin was an Atheist, we saw how well he worked out in a position of power.......

Nothing to do with politics if the person of faith keeps their religion out of their policies, and understands the constitution and freedom.

Good, and (should) hold liberty higher than any religion. We're a republic, not a theocracy.
You don't think the first ______ POTUS is significant? I think it breaks down walls and barriers and stereotypes that otherwise discourage people from attaining their full potential. It realizes the American dream, that anyone can be/do anything.

But, as another OP noted, a good christian would always do good christian things; at home; at work; at play. The 2012 GOP/DNC Platform includes more than political ideology. The religoticians are weaving their theology into the frabic of the Constitution and the mindset of the framers; insisting that this is 'one nation under God'. (More) Legislative morality frightens the bejuses out of me.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:20   #47
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,596
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
You don't think the first ______ POTUS is significant? I think it breaks down walls and barriers and stereotypes that otherwise discourage people from attaining their full potential. It realizes the American dream, that anyone can be/do anything.
I agree, there are still a lot of biases floating around. In a Gallup Poll last year people indicated that they would not vote for their party's nominee if they were otherwise qualified if they were:
  • Black -- 5%
  • A woman -- 6%
  • Catholic -- 7%
  • Baptist -- 7%
  • Jewish -- 9%
  • Hispanic -- 10%
  • Mormon -- 22%
  • Gay -- 32%
  • An atheist -- 49%
We're not going to see a Hispanic, female, gay, atheist president anytime soon.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:22   #48
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,596
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Legislative morality frightens the bejuses out of me.
That's just because you're an immoral (amoral) godless heathen.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:54   #49
Trew2Life
#the struggle
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
I've been faithfully married to my high school sweetheart for 23 years. I don't cheat on my taxes, steal, murder, ... All this, without believing that Eternal Torment or Eternal Reward await me.

Oh, and I even strive to remain respectful in this forum.

regards,
-ArtificialGrape
We have so much in common; except for the tax cheating, stealing and murder part
Question: Is the Mrs atheist too ... would it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
That's just because you're an immoral (amoral) godless heathen.
"I believe in morality, which is doing right regardless of what I am told .... not in religion, which is doing what I am told regardless of what is right."
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12   #50
mike g35
RACEGUN SHOOTER
 
mike g35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charleston W.V.
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Bork View Post
Such as, hijacking and slamming airplane loads of screaming passengers into skyscrapers full of screaming victims.....all to the greater glory of Allah, perhaps?

This is just one of those things we will have to agree to disagree on.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Carver Custom Team
GSSF, USPSA, NRA
www.bb-enterprise.biz
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:44.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,136
303 Members
833 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42