Originally Posted by Screaming .357G View Post
Yea, all the companys that make 1911 clones must have it wrong
(sarcasm is duly noted.)
Old 09-07-2012, 23:56   #42
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1234 View Post
At 2000 dollars, I could have bought 3-4 other typical handguns. I could have bought a KelTec .380 at 220 for deep summer carry, a Glock 26 or S&W M&P compact for around 425 for winter carry, and a used Glock 17 for around 400 for IDPA/home defense/SHTF combat gun, all for around HALF of ONE of your custom 13 pound 1911's.
Believe it or not, we've made the same decision. I just drew the line a bit higher. If it was truly a cost or value issue, you could get a trunk full of Lorcin, Raven and Hi-Points for the price of your 3-4 Glocks, but you didn't. Why not? They shoot. You set the bar at a certain level of quality and so did I.

Are the shoes you are wearing the cheapest shoes you could find? Do you drive the cheapest car you could find?

.45 auto isn't for everyone. 1911's aren't for everyone, let alone semi and full custom 1911's. Clearly, you don't like to carry one. I don't have an issue carrying a full size... even in the summer, and I've never owned a vest.

I still have a G30, but carry the 1911 because I like it. I've shot them for 20+ years. Because I like it I shoot it a lot. Because I shoot it a lot, I'm fairly good with one. Hell, in the mountains I carry a single action revolver for the same reasons. For me, they just point naturally. I don't even use the sights inside 20 yards or so, just look over the top of the gun. Can't do that with my Glock.

To each his own.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 17:55   #43
AZL

The virtiole is strong in this thread.

I can see both sides of this issue as I have an admitted weakness for tricked-out 1911's and AR15's.

In many cases...I see the motivation being simple vanity. There is a pretty big pool if shooters out there who honestly think a $3500 1911 will make them a better shooter in place of training and practice. The "Tactical Teddy Wannabes" as I so (okay not-so) lovingly call them.

However...I own a few high-end 1911's and a really nice Browning Hi Power done by Ted Yost, when he was still "Yost-Bonitz". Why? I like them. After a couple of decades in LE making a decent living, I reached a point in my life where I was able to afford what I wanted. I enjoy shooting them. I appreciate the crisp trigger, and beautiful fitting done by a craftsman.

That being said...I CARRY a Glock 19 99.834756298475% of the time. Why? It has been absolutely flawless in function for over 20 years and 300K rounds. I have used it on duty, off duty, in IDPA and USPSA, and now I use it almost exclusively when teaching my defensive pistol classes. I trust it 100%. Other than the Model 66 Smith & Wesson .357 I also treasure...I don't trust ANY other handgun as much as I trust my Glock. It doesn't take Doctor Phil to figure out what I am going to trust my life to.

I am a firm believer that any quality make of defensive sidearm from Glock to Ruger will outshoot the shooter. I know very darned few shooters that can outshoot the capabilities of their pistol as it comes from the factory. YES...there will be exceptions...but I believe that to be the rule, rather than the exception.

A friend of mine...deputy...carries a Les Baer Monolith. he paid a LOT of money for that peice. He has a sharks skin holster and mag pouch combo for off duty carry. I tell you...it's slick as all get out. He can barely qualify with it. If the logic that some here have presented about accuracy, and wonderfulness is true...that pistol ALONE should make him the equal of Robbie Leatham or Doug Koenig.

But...really...it all boils down to buy what you want. Carry what you want. Shoot what you want. But don't be fooled into thinking an expensive gun is any MORE capable of defending you based upon price tag alone. Personally...if I were on a tighter budget...I'd buy a Glock, M&P, XD, or SR9....and spend a LOT of money on ammo, practice, and training.

"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time, I will make your birth certificate a worthless document." Me Again
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:35   #44
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I'm pretty much into HK's and Sig's myself.

With that said, there is nothing in this world quite like a high end 1911. Unless you've ever owned one much less shot one, you'll never understand.

It always makes me laugh when people that can't afford something nice take the time to bash what they can't have in order to convince themselves that it isn't better or that they don't need it.

I'll always have a soft spot for high end 1911's.
Amen. There is no substitute for quality in anything.
Old 09-30-2012, 14:42   #45
tnpatriot

A man can spend his own money on what ever makes him happy. What business is it of yours ?
tnpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:49   #46
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Just get one of these:

The Furball Forum
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:04   #47
rick458
USS Texas BB-35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_Nirvana View Post
Why?

Cause there are few things in life as fine as running a well made 1911!
Sums it up right there
I carried my Colt Mk IV ser 80 sts, that I had put close to a hundred hours polishing and modifying to my tastes, Then bought a Kimber CS II, and proceeded to make it even nicer than the Colt.
Both carry nicely in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, and the 2 spare mags gave me 25 rounds of 230 gr HP, in a super accurate package.
I now carry a G-17 in an MTac with a spare mag, which is lighter but a little bulkier.
will soon switch to a Gen 4 G-21
Old 10-06-2012, 18:21   #48
jtull7
Pistolero

attrapereves, I don't understand your statement: "grip safety is a negative for a defensive pistol." Would you kindly tell me what you mean? Thanks.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 00:56   #49
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Just get one of these:

The Furball Forum
Please, Glock doesn't need anymore problems with malfunctions! They just got that sorted out!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:51   #50
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Please, Glock doesn't need anymore problems with malfunctions! They just got that sorted out!

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 21:06   #51
samuse

Sometimes you just want something exactly the way you want it even if it's not the most practical thing in the world.

I have a high-end custom 1911 that I love, but I don't use it, don't train with it, don't compete with it, don't even have any ammo for it. I gave it to my little cousin because he likes to shoot and carry it and I play with it a couple times a year.

Hell, I have custom made $450 work boots that aren't as comfortable or as practical as my off the shelf Justins, but they're just they way I want 'em and I like 'em.

Guys just spend money on stuff like that.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 21:22   #52
porschedog

RE the guy who said there's no real difference between a Ferrari and a Buick: Yes, there is. Technology, build quality and performance. Same thing with a box stock Springfield or Colt versus a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer. Try it and you'll see why I'm talking about.

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126

Last edited by porschedog; 11-17-2012 at 21:23..
porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 16:10   #53
Alizard

Quote:
Ok. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I gotta get it off of my mind.

2000-4000 dollar 1911 owners. Why.
I was just on another thread about a guy who spent $20,000 for a pair of stereo speakers......

Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 16:14   #54
Alizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I have carred the Beretta 96D, the H&K USP .40, the Glock 19, Glock 26, the Sig 229 .40 DAK, and the Glock 17.

I am not disputing the sleek nature of the 1911 with a light trigger. However, I just can't justify 2,500 for a botique 1911.
We all pick our price point. I won't ever again buy an off-the-rack 1911 like colt, SA, para or the lot because a large percentage of them are junk. If you get a good one, you get a good gun at a very good price. Get a dog and it spends all it's time being worked on.

I would spend the extra $ for an STI which is a semi custon and can be had for the $1400 range. You get a quantum leap improvement in quality for about $400 more, that's my best buy price point.

I don't know why people drop $4000 for a Wilson or whatever, it's what they want to buy and they are willing to pay it.
Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 16:21   #55
Ruggles

How did I miss this train wreck of a thread?

I carried a 4" Wilson 1911 today, I carry either that or a 5" Bear, 5"Wilson or 4 1/4" Brown daily. I have a 5" .38 Super Wilson on order now that I will carry. All well over $2000. Why do I carry them? Because I shoot 1911s better than anything else and these are trust your life 1911s so why would I not carry them? I have had a CCW since 1994 and have carried all kinds of guns, 1911 carry extremely well.

I am 5'10" and 190lbs. Carrying a freaking 35-40 oz 1911 is not hard, it is just over 2 lbs for God's sake, man up! Get a decent holster and belt and it is as easy as carrying anything thing else.

I think Clint Smith said it best " a gun should be comforting, not comfortable " I feel just as comfy as possible with a 1911 strapped to the side

Last edited by Ruggles; 01-04-2013 at 16:23..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 20:01   #56
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
How did I miss this train wreck of a thread?
Old 01-09-2013, 14:35   #57
Noles26
Made in Texas

Send a message via AIM to Noles26
Quote:
Law scholar, this is true. And I have the same opinion about those products too. Like the Ferrari. They can cost 80 thousand dollars more than a nice Buick for example. Is that worth it? Absolutely not. There's comes a point where it's not a quality issue any longer. If you were to compare a Chevy Cavalier to a Mercedes than sure. There's a huge disparity between the two, in every single category. But is a Ferrari 80 grand better than a new Buick? Not at all. You're just shelling out money for the brand, and the fad factor, and NOTHING more.

You have clearly NEVER owned a Ferrari. As someone in the automotive industry and who's wife CURRENTLY drives a new Buick Enclave, there is an ENORMOUS difference between the two vehicles. And the cost? Try $280,000 more, not $80,000.

Enjoy you're Hi Points, MGD and McDonalds

WWW.GTXGUNS.COM
Noles26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19   #58
LawScholar

There is a company that makes $5,000-10,000 sex dolls, and the company does well.

People ought not fret about how people spend their money. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep.
Old 05-02-2013, 17:46   #59
Gray_Rider

I had a Colt Series 80 that I had throated. It would cycle empty brass casings. Love the 1911s. My current carry is a Glock 30. Good price, scary reliable. One of the most accurate pistols in Glock's stable. Does what I need a .45 ACP to do.

No I can't afford a high end 1911, but that 30 does everything....for less.

Gray_Rider

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 05-02-2013 at 17:50..
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 18:24   #60
RichardB
Silver Membership

Everybody has a right to be screwy in their own way.

If you don't point your fingers and giggle at my 13 year old Saturn or my G36, I won't badmouth your $4000 1911. Unless your kids are naked and hungry.

It's your money, and what is luxury in one generation becomes the normal for the next. The new off the shelf 1911s of today are miles ahead in features compared to when i bought my first 1911 during the late 1960s.

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote