GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 15:05   #51
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
You have the right number.

I'll post some pics later. I've got one.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:47   #52
CajunBass
Senior Member
 
CajunBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chancelorsville, Virginia
Posts: 3,564
Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Well, shoot. So much for me having SOMETHING Bac didn't have (Kicks can). Just my luck.

Congratulations Bac. That one is a beauty.
__________________
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 16:00   #53
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Well, shoot. So much for me having SOMETHING Bac didn't have (Kicks can). Just my luck.

Congratulations Bac. That one is a beauty.


Thanks, my friend
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:23   #54
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Bac...you would know this one: Wasn't there a S&W semi target pistol that shot .38 wad cutters of all things back in the day?.....or am I making tha up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Nope. It existed for bullseye shooting. Never got my hands on one IIRC it was the "52". I am probably wrong on the number, it's been years since I hear them mentioned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yes, the 52. I'm mobile right now, but I'll post some pics later tonight.

I think the 52 may have been the finest auto S&W ever built. It's just not practical for anything other than target practice and bullseye competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
You have the right number.

I'll post some pics later. I've got one.

Here's my 52 guys. Its also in beautiful condition.

It was basically S&W's top of the line target pistol from back in the day and its also based on the 39. I actually think its the finest auto they ever built. I like it better than the modern Performance Center models. Its just not practical. All it shoots are 38 Special wadcutters. There's not much use for it outside bullseye competition, but the trigger is amazing.


General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum






My favorite Smith auto is the 952 target pistol, which is based on the 52, but chambered in 9mm. Smith's Performance Center built it starting in 2003 and they just discontinued it last year. They were just getting too expensive for Smith to build and make a profit on. MSRP was well over $2000 as it was.

Not only is it my favorite Smith auto, but its my second favorite 9mm of all time, right behind the Browning Hi Power. Also, like the Hi Power, I think its one of the most beautiful autos ever built. Accuracy is as good as any handgun I own.


General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09   #55
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Another great find! Very nice looking.
Thanks Bruce
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:21   #56
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Rome Ga
Posts: 2,025
Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
Very nice. My Smith 39 was a gift to me from my father on my 21st. It had been bought for him by a coworker in 68 or 69 if I remember correctly. They had worked on a project together and after they presented the findings to congress and were done with the "team" the head researcher picked it up for him. He was never really a gun guy, so it mostly just sat in the closet forever. He said about the only time he ever had it loaded was when he'd shoot a couple rounds into the ground for 4th of july in leiu of firecrackers.

Still one of my favorites, although I rarely shoot it these days. Back then it was one of a 3 gun collection, as I was just starting. Now I have... a few more...
__________________
Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:27   #57
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
Very nice. My Smith 39 was a gift to me from my father on my 21st. It had been bought for him by a coworker in 68 or 69 if I remember correctly. They had worked on a project together and after they presented the findings to congress and were done with the "team" the head researcher picked it up for him. He was never really a gun guy, so it mostly just sat in the closet forever. He said about the only time he ever had it loaded was when he'd shoot a couple rounds into the ground for 4th of july in leiu of firecrackers.

Still one of my favorites, although I rarely shoot it these days. Back then it was one of a 3 gun collection, as I was just starting. Now I have... a few more...
Cool story
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34   #58
Green Dragoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 677
thanks Brac. I'm not surprised you have one.

I'll never understand how they fed a rimmed cartridge. I know the Desert Eagles later went on to do it successfully. It still impresses me though.

Anyway- beautiful pistols Brac. Thanks for posting the pic.
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55   #59
SigFTW
Senior Member
 
SigFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 2,155
What a fantastic looking and great price S&W you found! I would have had smoke coming out of my back pocket from pulling my wallet out so fast on one like that. Congrats!!
__________________
Spent brass to me is like the ring to Gollum "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious"
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:01.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,418
440 Members
978 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42