SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2012, 13:17   #1
awpk03s

My New FG SA Garand Courtesy of the North Store

Wanted to share some pictures of my new Garand that I'm quite proud of. I had made a trip to the NS a couple months ago, and bought a Special Grade M1 Garand to stash away as a retirement gift for my father, this time I went with money to buy my own rifle.

I was ultimately hoping for a nice selection of Service Grade rifles, but as luck would have it that wasn't in the cards. The Store was completely sold out. I could have called ahead... but this was really the only weekend I was able to make the trip anyhow, so I just chanced it. I was left with a decision on whether to bust for a SG Special or another Special Grade, but found myself looking more and more at the Field Grade rifles. There were several fine examples out on the floor, and in the end I decided to buy more ammo and a Tikka T3 30-06 bolt rifle plus a Field Grade instead of buying a Special grade rifle.

I was lucky to have member abeal pick out three nice rifles on the counter, and after he decided he did not want a 5.89M SA, with the help of Jim at the counter, I decided to snatch it up.

MW = 1.5, TE - 4, which I didn't think was too bad at all for a FG rifle.

Some of the specifics include:

SA 5.89M receiver
SA 4-54 NM barrel
HRA USGI Stock
SA Op Rod 6535382
HRA Trigger group 6528290
IHC Safety
HRA hammer
SA bolt - D28287-19SA B-18

The barrel cleaned up pretty nicely, and looks good on the bore. The gas cylinder was a little bit loose, but after peening the splines, it is now rock solid tight. I am in the process of cleaning up the stock and going to put a fresh coat of tung oil on it. I will post some more pictures after that process is complete.

As much as I was drawn to the newer looking rifles with better barrels and new wood, this rifle just "feels" better to me. The stock feels slimmer than CMP wood, and it just feels right - it has character and history that I can truly appreciate.

Enough **** chat. Here are some photos.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
awpk03s is offline   Reply With Quote