GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 20:10   #51
sputnik767
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
Tablets are pointless. Get a small laptop with a cd/dvd drive. Tablets can only do 1/10 of a laptop and often cost more.
Tablets are made to complement laptops, not replace them. If you're buying it to replace a laptop, you'll end up disappointed.

To answer the OP's question, there are 2 major contenders right now, iOS and Android. If you're a fan of iOS, the iPad will not disappoint. If you prefer Android, only go for Samsung. Since this does not seem like the thread for debating iOS vs Android, I'm not going to comment on the topic.

As far as Windows 8 tabs, their future remains to be seen. It looks great on paper though, but I'm not sure that the price point will be acceptable to the average buyer.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:25   #52
sputnik767
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal4974 View Post
Iím waiting for the TF700 to ship with a stable Jelly Bean OS. If that doesí t happen soon, Iíll give Galaxy another look.
I have the TF201 that just got updated to Jelly Bean. Take my word for it and skip Asus all together. If you want an Android device, only go with Samsung. They are the Apple of the Android world, and likely even better.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 22:57   #53
Drain You
NRA member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,832
I saw a tech report on Fox today that said the company that makes iPads for apple is bringing in a crapload of 7.5 inch screens.

May wait now, dang it.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:01   #54
michael_b
BRC #1492
 
michael_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 823
iPad 3rd Gen, at least 32GB. Preferably the wifi + cellular one. You may not need the cellular radio very often but when you do, it's great to have that option.

I have a 1st gen iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 running ICS and the iPad is still the better experience.

iOS just works, the menus are logical for the most part, and it's just so much easier to use.
__________________
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:03   #55
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 16,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
I saw a tech report on Fox today that said the company that makes iPads for apple is bringing in a crapload of 7.5 inch screens.

May wait now, dang it.
It's a done deal.
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 23:04   #56
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 16,661
iPad.

I'd, actually I am waiting for the 7.5" iPad.
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17   #57
Random
AtticRat
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post

If you want a 10" size tablet, the iPad 3. It's the best tablet, period (and I love my Android tablet).
Which Android tablet do you have? Lately, I've found myself grabbing my Excite 10 and leaving my IPad in my locker most mornings.

Bigger screen, but weighs less. I drag and drop all formats of movies, music, books, comic books, pictures, and documents onto it without having to convert anything. Quad core processor instead of dual. Stereo speakers instead of mono. FLASHPLAYER. Built-in GPS. And its storage is expandable!! Got a 128gb sd card last week. I haven't filled it yet, much less touched my internal storage space. (Can't even imagine how much a 144gb IPad would cost if they made them) All that and I don't need proprietary cables to connect to my tv, projector, or laptop. I don't know.

I'm not anti-Apple. I still have an IPod, ITouch, and an IPhone next to my IPad in the same locker, but aside from a hi resolution screen I don't see what's so great about the IPad. I'm trying to come up with alternative uses for mine now.

I don't know which Android tablet you have, but maybe it's time for an upgrade. They've got some good models out there.

**Edited to add: oh yeah, and I have a usb slot. You would not believe how handy that can be.

Last edited by Random; 10-04-2012 at 07:19..
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10   #58
sbhaven
Senior Member
 
sbhaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Constitution State
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
I saw a tech report on Fox today that said the company that makes iPads for apple is bringing in a crapload of 7.5 inch screens.

May wait now, dang it.
The problem with wating is, there will always be something better around the corner. There will always be the "next big thing", the next "ipod/ipad killer".

If you have the money, go Apple since they currently have the better App Store. And for tablets its all about the Apps. If you want more versatility, an open OS, generally a cheaper device which may have more features/options, and not be walled in with iTunes, then go with an Android tablet.

Every one's holding their breath waiting to see what Apple will deliver with the Mini. Once the Mini hits there is liable to be a fire sale on other tablets while the Apple Fanboys and media are busy fawning and hyping the capabilities of the Mini.
__________________
Currently hiding behind enemy lines in a Blue State.
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04   #59
mikeflys1
Pastafarian
 
mikeflys1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
iPad.

I'd, actually I am waiting for the 7.5" iPad.

Same here.
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 00:22   #60
Nalapombu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Spring, TEXAS....USA
Posts: 5,055


Thanks everyone for all the info.

So if I get you all right, the only tablets to consider are the IPAD and the ones by SAMSUNG. Is that true?

I haven't fooled with the Samsung at all. Every time I see one in a store it is never operational. I have played around with the IPAD and ever since playing that video game Metalstorm for about 5 minutes, I want one.

Actually I am in the middle of trying to figure out what computer gear to get. I would love to have one of the Apple laptops, but they are just too much money for me right now. I've thought about getting a decent desktop and supplementing it with an IPAD. Then I've thought about getting a budget $250 laptop or a Pawn Shop Special and saving my money to get an Apple laptop, If I go that way, there is no reason to get an IPAD, is there? Although I have fancied the idea of getting a 17 inch laptop, it would be my only computer, and a Tablet.
So many possibilities..... Then I tell myself to wait until we see what the Microsoft Surface will do and what capabilities it will have before buying a tablet. I think if the Surface is priced like the IPAD and it has functions like a laptop but without the fixed keyboard, I might really want one of those if it has access to the apps like Apple and Android does.

One other thing, it irritates me that the very cool game apps, and some in other categories, are only available in one format, usually APPLE. That game Metalstorm and the Zombie Gunship are only on APPLE. Excuse the mentioning of game apps, but these cool games are new to me. I never did buy a PlayStation, Nintendo or XBOX and play those games. I guess it's like I'm a kid that missed all the cool toys and now is trying to go back and see what I've missed.

Who knows what I'll end up with. A couple months ago I felt as though the tablets were just a toy, nothing more than that and that there was no reason to get one. I thought "why get a tablet that limits what you can really do on one, when you can spend a tad more and get something like the MacBook AIR 11 inch screen and have all the things you need right there. I still kinda cling to that idea, but I also see that a Tablet can be a useful tool and would be nice to have a good one.

It'll be interesting to see what this IPAD Mini is going to look like and what capabilities it'll have. No doubt it'll be great, but how great is the question. It has some competition in this area now with the Google Nexus 7 inch, the new Kindle FireHD 7 inch and so on. I have a Kindle Fire, the original one and I like it for what it allows me to do, but do get aggravated at how small it is when I am trying to navigate the web and type in stuff with that virtual keyboard.
I handled one of the new Fire HD's the other day and they are very nice. Much nicer than mine and the reviews I have read so far have a lot of great things to say about it. I am curious about the 8.9 inch version coming at the end of next month. That is supposed to be really nice too with HD screen like the IPAD and 16 gb. LOTS of interesting stuff coming, can't wait to check it all out.

Thanks all for the time.

Nalajr
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Ben Franklin
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17   #61
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,849
Probably my regular legal pad. It's done just fine for me all these years I see no need to change now.

__________________
Diesel pickup, lift kit, 10mm, loud exhaust, big dog.... You didn't get enough attention as kid did you?
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10   #62
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post
Doubtful Apple Mini would have a price point under $350. Anything less then that they cut into their iPod Touch line. Plus Apple knows that the have a built in core of Apple product fanboys who will buy the Mini no matter the price point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Personally I think it's going to be $300. I don't think they are worried about it impacting iPod Touch sales. They are completely different devices. The Touch's are portable gaming/MP3 systems. A tablet is a tablet. Sure it is going to cost some of those sales but by in large not a huge affect. What they are worried about is $200 Nexus 7 and the like impacting their market share that can certainly boil over to the phone side. It's the whole ecosystem in effect. If you have one your more likely to get both. Have an iPad? Well your more likely to get an iPhone. Same with Android. After you buy the same app a couple of times you will get rid of one and make a decision. Been there done that.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36   #63
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,796


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info.

So if I get you all right, the only tablets to consider are the IPAD and the ones by SAMSUNG. Is that true?

I haven't fooled with the Samsung at all. Every time I see one in a store it is never operational. I have played around with the IPAD and ever since playing that video game Metalstorm for about 5 minutes, I want one.

Actually I am in the middle of trying to figure out what computer gear to get. I would love to have one of the Apple laptops, but they are just too much money for me right now. I've thought about getting a decent desktop and supplementing it with an IPAD. Then I've thought about getting a budget $250 laptop or a Pawn Shop Special and saving my money to get an Apple laptop, If I go that way, there is no reason to get an IPAD, is there? Although I have fancied the idea of getting a 17 inch laptop, it would be my only computer, and a Tablet.
So many possibilities..... Then I tell myself to wait until we see what the Microsoft Surface will do and what capabilities it will have before buying a tablet. I think if the Surface is priced like the IPAD and it has functions like a laptop but without the fixed keyboard, I might really want one of those if it has access to the apps like Apple and Android does.

One other thing, it irritates me that the very cool game apps, and some in other categories, are only available in one format, usually APPLE. That game Metalstorm and the Zombie Gunship are only on APPLE. Excuse the mentioning of game apps, but these cool games are new to me. I never did buy a PlayStation, Nintendo or XBOX and play those games. I guess it's like I'm a kid that missed all the cool toys and now is trying to go back and see what I've missed.

Who knows what I'll end up with. A couple months ago I felt as though the tablets were just a toy, nothing more than that and that there was no reason to get one. I thought "why get a tablet that limits what you can really do on one, when you can spend a tad more and get something like the MacBook AIR 11 inch screen and have all the things you need right there. I still kinda cling to that idea, but I also see that a Tablet can be a useful tool and would be nice to have a good one.

It'll be interesting to see what this IPAD Mini is going to look like and what capabilities it'll have. No doubt it'll be great, but how great is the question. It has some competition in this area now with the Google Nexus 7 inch, the new Kindle FireHD 7 inch and so on. I have a Kindle Fire, the original one and I like it for what it allows me to do, but do get aggravated at how small it is when I am trying to navigate the web and type in stuff with that virtual keyboard.
I handled one of the new Fire HD's the other day and they are very nice. Much nicer than mine and the reviews I have read so far have a lot of great things to say about it. I am curious about the 8.9 inch version coming at the end of next month. That is supposed to be really nice too with HD screen like the IPAD and 16 gb. LOTS of interesting stuff coming, can't wait to check it all out.

Thanks all for the time.

Nalajr
Just FYI. Craigslist has some smokin hot deals on late model macbook airs. From what I can tell about half price. I'd take a year old craigslist MBA (which is what I'm on at the moment) over anything else on the market new if a notebook is what you need.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55   #64
Black&TAN
Senior Member
 
Black&TAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 428
Nexus 7 in whatever capacity you feel would best suit your needs.

Great specs, good OS with a GUI that is easy to navigate, at an excellent price point. While Google is surely making money through advertising strategies, and gaining ground in market share, they are not making much off Nexus 7 hardware, particularly in the 8 GB flavor tablet. Bang for the buck, it can't be beat IMO.

For those looking at a Nexus, consider to hold off a bit... Google is said to be aiming for a $99 price point for the holiday season. While specs will likely not be mind blowing, could be worth a look.

sent via Tapatalk
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06   #65
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,796


I have an ipad 2 and am looking for a 7" tablet to replace it for travel (ipad is too heavy), used primarily for in flight entertainment and quick document reference. I figured I'd go to Best Buy and drop $250 or so on one without hesitation but after playing with them I can't seem to do it and find myself holding out for the elusive minipad.

Nexus gets a lot of negative hits on reviews.
Fire HD isn't expandable and limited to 16GB in stock.
Samsung just feels cheap. Black border around the screen feels overly large proportionally......like for this footprint why didn't they give me a bigger viewable screen?

I'm not in love with the iPad. I want a filing system. However, at least it feels like a quality device when you hold it.

Now some will say what do you want for $250? I agree. I'd be willing to pay more than $250 for a quality 7" tablet.......and I suspect Apple knows this.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37   #66
Black&TAN
Senior Member
 
Black&TAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Nexus gets a lot of negative hits on reviews.
Just curious, what negative reviews on the Nexus 7 are you reading? Heavy hitting tech sites like c|net, engadget, etc. have given great marks.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited by Black&TAN; 10-05-2012 at 08:43..
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22   #67
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist
 
syntaxerrorsix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lakeland, FL.
Posts: 9,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&TAN View Post
Just curious, what negative reviews on the Nexus 7 are you reading? Heavy hitting tech sites like c|net, engadget, etc. have given great marks.

sent via Tapatalk

Agreed. Mine has been outstanding.
__________________
Sappers Forward
841st Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 81ARCOM, 84th Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 2ACR, 40th Eng (Mech) 1AD, 588th Eng (Mech) 4ID

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:19   #68
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
I saw a tech report on Fox today that said the company that makes iPads for apple is bringing in a crapload of 7.5 inch screens.

May wait now, dang it.
No sense whatsoever in buying now with such a major release coming.

The invites for the release announcement on the 7.85 ipad mini are supposed to go out next week. Interesting to see where the price points will be.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23   #69
sbhaven
Senior Member
 
sbhaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Constitution State
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&TAN View Post
Just curious, what negative reviews on the Nexus 7 are you reading? Heavy hitting tech sites like c|net, engadget, etc. have given great marks.

sent via Tapatalk
Agree as well. Mine work great.

There are some complaints about screen lift and a few other issues, but its hard to tell how wide spread the issue might be. Some of the complaints seem to be by the some people flooding the various android forums. There is bound to be issues reported when marketing a new product, especially if the buyers are of the geek variety.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Currently hiding behind enemy lines in a Blue State.
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:01   #70
coastal4974
Senior Member
 
coastal4974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I have the TF201 that just got updated to Jelly Bean. Take my word for it and skip Asus all together. If you want an Android device, only go with Samsung. They are the Apple of the Android world, and likely even better.
Their Jelly Bean rollout has been racked with problems. Thatís why I didnít want to get one before they had it figured out.

But Iím getting tired of waiting on them, maybe itís time to look again.
__________________
The politicians added another $4.8 billion to our debt today.
coastal4974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 21:00   #71
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,796


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&TAN View Post
Just curious, what negative reviews on the Nexus 7 are you reading? Heavy hitting tech sites like c|net, engadget, etc. have given great marks.

sent via Tapatalk
Negative reviews was in fact the wrong phrase. Things like no rear camera, no cell radio, only 8GB of memory and no expandability were negatives that stood out for me.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13489_53...-10389930.html

ETA: Scratch the expandability thing. That was fire hd

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-05-2012 at 21:05..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 21:02   #72
PrO...
Senior Member
 
PrO...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 242
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
__________________
"...Like short sleeves I bear arms"
PrO... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:38   #73
sbhaven
Senior Member
 
sbhaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Constitution State
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Negative reviews was in fact the wrong phrase. Things like no rear camera, no cell radio, only 8GB of memory and no expandability were negatives that stood out for me.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13489_53...-10389930.html

ETA: Scratch the expandability thing. That was fire hd
The Nexus 7 has a 16gb version too. Supposedly some are working on attaching cell radios to the N7. And the no back camera, well the Kindle Fire didn't have one either. Frankly I have yet to use the front camera on my N7. With the addition of a cheap USB-OTG cable and a free app one has access to USB storage devices, including SD/microSd/Flash drives, and other external USB devices.

Much of the complaints about the N7 stem from people comparing it to more expensive tablets like the iPad, and expecting it to be something it's not. It's a low cost media consumption device. Fortunately the development community is finding ways to add more capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Currently hiding behind enemy lines in a Blue State.

Last edited by sbhaven; 10-06-2012 at 04:40..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07   #74
roger123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 535
I love my iPad, I already had an iPhone so I had apps and was used to the form factor. I have replaced my laptop but for one thing and that is Garmin Mapsource. I still need a computer for mapping, but other than that I never take out my laptop.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:26   #75
sbhaven
Senior Member
 
sbhaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Constitution State
Posts: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
I love my iPad, I already had an iPhone so I had apps and was used to the form factor. I have replaced my laptop but for one thing and that is Garmin Mapsource. I still need a computer for mapping, but other than that I never take out my laptop.
Garmin does have several apps for iPhone/iPad...
http://www8.garmin.com/apps/

If your tablet supports GPS, there are several apps, both free and paid, that will allow for offline (no cellular/wifi service) GPS mapping. Currently using Navfree USA: Free on my Nexus 7 for offline mapping. Its not as good as my Garmin Nuvi GPS but its usable.

This issue brings up the point that while a tablet or cell phone can do many things, there are times when having a dedicated device like a camera or GPS is better. Tablets and cell phones tend to have compromises in hardware or software since they are designed to so many things versus being dedicated to only one task.
__________________
Currently hiding behind enemy lines in a Blue State.

Last edited by sbhaven; 10-06-2012 at 06:28..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,095
327 Members
768 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42