SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 22:48   #26
ditchdoc24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post

Had both a male and female recruit that failed to bend at the waist as they were scrubbing off their faces.

You could hear the screams outside the locker rooms.

THAT was the one instruction I made absolutely certain I remembered after we got sprayed!!
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 22:51   #27
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post

Had both a male and female recruit that failed to bend at the waist as they were scrubbing off their faces.

You could hear the screams outside the locker rooms.

We had the same problem in every recruit class. There is always at least one that thinks that advice is some kind of joke.

The pain of reality soon hits!

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 22:55   #28
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman92D View Post
Article says some academy recruits had sustained eye injuries during a OC spray class. It appears they're using the Mark 4 from Defense Technologies.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...ry-pepp/nSLwj/

Isn't one of the membership here currently in the PA state academy?
Makes sense to me. When I took my motorcycle test years ago in Va they had stopped all that nonsense like they have in other states with a rider on a seriously expensive cycle wrecking and being injured on the course. So now Pa is seeing recruits injured and it makes sense ro protect their investment.
JuneyBooney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:47   #29
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

nevermind. linking to that particular morale patch (harden the eff up) would violate GT rules (the f word and all).
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese

Last edited by PinkoCommie; 09-28-2012 at 03:48..
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26   #30
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Gotta love Chopper!

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
Old 09-28-2012, 15:42   #31
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post
nevermind. linking to that particular morale patch (harden the eff up) would violate GT rules (the f word and all).
Right mates! Cancel your pedicures, grow a mustache and harden the **** up!!
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 17:32   #32
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Quote:
Article says some academy recruits had sustained eye injuries during a OC spray class. It appears they're using the Mark 4 from Defense Technologies.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...ry-pepp/nSLwj/
After this I'm sure there will soon be legislation forbidding PA municipal officers from using OC.

I'm being completely serious.

Panzergrenadier1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 18:13   #33
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergrenadier1979 View Post

We know. There will probably be a IACP and NSA movement against it as well. CALEA has a committee trying to out-regulate it as we speak.

Old 09-28-2012, 22:18   #34
tusk212

Quote:
After this I'm sure there will soon be legislation forbidding PA municipal officers from using OC.

Yep. If the gray gods can't use it, we sure can't either. After all, we arn't responsible enough to be trusted to not use RADAR as a money maker.
Niner's Club #212
PA Glockers #125
Tactical Shotgun Club #212
tusk212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 22:49   #35
drumr04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Recruits always asked what being sprayed was like. I always told them to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Nazis open up the Ark.
This

We weren't allowed to close our eyes. Everyone in my class (5) caught at least some of it directly in our eyes. One guy had his eyes swell up really bad for the rest of the day but by the next day we were all (mostly) fine. Although I woke up the next morning with my eyes burning...
Old 09-28-2012, 23:08   #36
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Cop Talk

OC sprayed on a recruit.

Old 09-29-2012, 00:46   #37
frizz

Getting rid of OC is a step forward. That stuff is DANGEROUS!

Next we move on to getting firearms out of the hands of police. Those things KILL!!

Yes, I am being sarcastic.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13   #38
Snowman92D

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Getting rid of OC is a step forward. That stuff is DANGEROUS!

Yes, I am being sarcastic.
Somebody has to understand that we have to have reliable stand-off non-lethal weapons...even the sometimes problematic ones like OC sprays. We've been forced to dumb-down the hiring standards until now we've got an uncomfortable number of IBO's who can't be taught how to go hands-on, but still are charged with bringing out-of-control people back under control. WTF are we supposed to use...?

It'd be a far more polite society if we went back to fixing problems with either a 24-inch hickory stick, or a 12-gauge rifled slug. But I suppose that's only further evidence of my un-enlightened attitude.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:18   #39
CAcop

I remember one of my academy classmates had a herpe sore on his mouth on OC day. The spray blasted off the scab.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00   #40
Butcher
NRA Life Member

Quote:

It'd be a far more polite society if we went back to fixing problems with either a 24-inch hickory stick, or a 12-gauge rifled slug. But I suppose that's only further evidence of my un-enlightened attitude.
Good ole wooden shampoo

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:09   #41
jbglock

Tase or sprayed I have always thought it was stupid. I carry a baton but didn't have to get beat with it. I carry a Glock and didn't have to get shot with it. I charge people with possession of marijuana and cocaine and it wasn't a requirement that I get high on weed or smoke crack. I charge dui but wasn't required to drive around drunk. I'm all for beating one down when required and have a low level of tolerance for BS on the job but this talk of recruits needing to "man up" is outright stupid IMO. I don't even believe in spray. If that is required then a tasing or good old fashioned *** whipping will do.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:25   #42
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
Tase or sprayed I have always thought it was stupid. I carry a baton but didn't have to get beat with it. I carry a Glock and didn't have to get shot with it. I charge people with possession of marijuana and cocaine and it wasn't a requirement that I get high on weed or smoke crack. I charge dui but wasn't required to drive around drunk. I'm all for beating one down when required and have a low level of tolerance for BS on the job but this talk of recruits needing to "man up" is outright stupid IMO. I don't even believe in spray. If that is required then a tasing or good old fashioned *** whipping will do.
I've been hit with a baton numerous times in training. They don't always get the bag. I've been exposed to OC in the field every time its been deployed, including a couple of pretty good blasts. I've been shocked by Taser through the wires three times on the street, including one time where I received full NMI effect. We also were required to box each other in the academy...not to learn how to throw punches, but to feel what it was like to get hit in the face (in case you'd never been there before).

Exposure is a GOOD idea for several reasons:

It makes the officer aware of the effects of the tool, which provides some stress inoculation in the event of an exposure in the field.

It also tells the officer how their body will likely react in the field.

It gives them the knowledge to justify an escalation of force when exposed to something, or when a less lethal weapon is taken/attempted to be taken away from them by a bad guy.

It gives the officer credibility when testifying in a civil suit involving use of force.

Having been through a 1983 suit from a Taser deployment, I can tell you without reservation that having been exposed to Taser in training made me much more comfortable and competent at testifying in depositions. The plaintiffs attorney was not prepared for my answer to "can you describe the effects?", which was "it was the absolute worst experience in my life, until it was off, and then I was fine." We won a summary judgment.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 14:45   #43
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
We had a recruit who got a chemical burn to their eyes from Def-Tec stuff. I stand by my earlier statements that they just need to toughen up, buttercup!
Most of the PA Troopers I've met were pretty tough men. Hard edged more then most.
Old 09-29-2012, 14:50   #44
4949shooter

Hmmm...perhaps our resident PASP recruit will chime in with some more info.
Old 09-29-2012, 16:14   #45
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusk212 View Post
Yep. If the gray gods can't use it, we sure can't either. After all, we arn't responsible enough to be trusted to not use RADAR as a money maker.

... or make arrests for vehicle code violations or enforce speed laws on limited access highways within my own GD jurisdiction.

Or buy as much, or little, beer as I want/need at a supermarket AND use the same checkout line as I would to buy the rest of my groceries.....

I. Hate. Pennsylvania.

I know, I know..... I complain to much. My apologies to all.

Panzergrenadier1979 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 16:59   #46
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
... or make arrests for vehicle code violations or enforce speed laws on limited access highways within my own GD jurisdiction.

Or buy as much, or little, beer as I want/need at a supermarket AND use the same checkout line as I would to buy the rest of my groceries.....

I. Hate. Pennsylvania.

I know, I know..... I complain to much. My apologies to all.
Its okay, you can become a buckeye.
Old 09-29-2012, 18:16   #47
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

I hate OC with a passion, been exposed 3 times. I don't carry it for the simple reason I don't want it anywhere near me when it goes off

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 09-29-2012, 20:30   #48
RF7126
Mall Ninja

Send a message via AIM to RF7126 Send a message via Yahoo to RF7126

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11A View Post
I wish we were allowed to close our eyes and then get sprayed across the forehead. We got sprayed in the eyes with Fox 5.3; I thought my eyes were melting out of their sockets.

We had on guy who reacted badly to getting sprayed. His eyes were messed up for a week, but he was fine after that.
I was beginning to think it was just us! I couldn't see anything but a big blur for 30 minutes, and that was after I could open my eyes....
RF7126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 18:16   #49
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Hmmm...perhaps our resident PASP recruit will chime in with some more info.
I am here now. I just got home from the academy an hour ago for another three day weekend. I LOLd when I saw this thread. I had no idea they did a news article on what happened.

It was indeed my class that was effected. There is an ongoing investigation, so I cannot divulge specifics. Basically, more than 1/3 of our class got a huge percentage of their cornia bunred, and abrasions over most of the entire eye. Some people got their entire eye jacked up. My one buddy's eye looked like raw hamburger for 2 weeks afterwards. Some people's vision still is not back to what it was, almost a month later. I got lucky and only had one visit to the eye doctor. Some guys had to go back 10-12 times for follow ups.

Testing was done on the OC and everything was pulled from all troopers' belts. It was determined to be a bad batch of spray. There was another municipal class at another training location that was hit as well a week before us with the same stuff. 12 of the 14 of them ended up in the ER after being sprayed. I have been sprayed before and was fine in 20 minutes. I knew it was not normal seeing how everybody was still reacting to it the following day.

I have to admit that I am about as tough as they come, and it was one of the worst things to ever happen to me. Not knowing if my vision would ever return to normal was a scary feeling. Some guys might end up needing a corrective procedure because of it.
Old 10-05-2012, 18:21   #50
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloBravo View Post
I am here now. I just got home from the academy an hour ago for another three day weekend. I LOLd when I saw this thread. I had no idea they did a news article on what happened.

It was indeed my class that was effected. There is an ongoing investigation, so I cannot divulge specifics. Basically, more than 1/3 of our class got a huge percentage of their cornia bunred, and abrasions over most of the entire eye. Some people got their entire eye jacked up. My one buddy's eye looked like raw hamburger for 2 weeks afterwards. Some people's vision still is not back to what it was, almost a month later. I got lucky and only had one visit to the eye doctor. Some guys had to go back 10-12 times for follow ups.

Testing was done on the OC and everything was pulled from all troopers' belts. It was determined to be a bad batch of spray. There was another municipal class at another training location that was hit as well a week before us with the same stuff. 12 of the 14 of them ended up in the ER after being sprayed. I have been sprayed before and was fine in 20 minutes. I knew it was not normal seeing how everybody was still reacting to it the following day.

I have to admit that I am about as tough as they come, and it was one of the worst things to ever happen to me. Not knowing if my vision would ever return to normal was a scary feeling. Some guys might end up needing a corrective procedure because of it.
Ouch! Glad to know you came out of it all right, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote