Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 16:59   #21
FireForged
Millenium #3936

pre heck hit the fan... post heck hit the fan. I am not inclined to believe that even 10% of so called survival knives will be used for anything other than cutting cord and preparing food.

Jaws made everyone hate the shark

Rambo made everyone love the knife

its all pretty much over-intellectualized. A knife is a great tool, use it safetly
Old 10-04-2012, 18:18   #22
jtull7
Pistolero

A good knife is the most expensive pry-bar you will ever break.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:03   #23
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
A good knife is the most expensive pry-bar you will ever break.
Or the sharpest screwdriver you will dull trying to turn some screws.
lawman800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 15:29   #24
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have always liked my Smith brand knife sharpener. It works on everything up to D2 and is not that much money. I was never able to master the art of flat stone sharpening. One of these days I should probably get a soft knife and learn how.

The other thought is learn how to live with your knife. My knife stress test is using the knife for a month. I quickly learned what I liked and what I didn't. Where I could carry and where I can't. \

I am still learning.
Old 10-05-2012, 17:06   #25
jtull7
Pistolero

The fabulous Molly Ivins had this to say about knives:

"I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife.

Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical
fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners.

Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives."

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:56   #26
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
The fabulous Molly Ivins had this to say about knives:

"I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife.

Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical
fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners.

Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives."
They taught us back in the academy (way back in the day) if you don't have a gun on you, you go for a gun but run from a knife. The reasoning is that you can't outrun a bullet but if you fight with a knife you are guaranteed to get cut. I always made sure to bring a gun to any knife fights I went to.

It has also been my experience having back packed all over the US in the 70's, 80's and 90's that you seldom need more than a small pocket knife for survival. I've done weeks out in the boonies with nothing more than a small Swiss Army Knife.

Personally I think the survival knife thing is way overblown. But hey, knives are cool so go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 10-05-2012 at 20:05..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07   #27
Babynine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I have always liked my Smith brand knife sharpener. It works on everything up to D2 and is not that much money. I was never able to master the art of flat stone sharpening. One of these days I should probably get a soft knife and learn how.

The other thought is learn how to live with your knife. My knife stress test is using the knife for a month. I quickly learned what I liked and what I didn't. Where I could carry and where I can't. \

I am still learning.
I was never able to sharpen on a flat stone until I tried out an inexpensive Scandi ground Mora Knife. I keep my Gransfors axes shaving sharp, and my Mora carbon knives are far far sharper than just shaving sharp, and I can keep them that way in the woods indefinitely.

A survival knife should be able to easily and safely carve wood for tools, and to make paper thin shavings and feather sticks for fire starting. If one can not keep his knife beyond just shaving sharp, your going to have a tough time carving wood.

I use an EZ-Lap two sided pocket diamond "stone" with a ceramic finishing stone on the reverse side. If I want to take the edge one step futher, I carefully strop the edge on the fatty part of my palm between my pinky finger and my wrist. Key word there is "Carefully"!
Old 10-13-2012, 17:17   #28
Lt Scott 14

Won't go wrong with the Moras. Tried one, now own three. All hair shave sharp, use as an always handy neck knife. Yep they are cheap, and also added a tomahawk to my collection. My wife thinks that I'm losing it, until she seen me split wood and fired up my hobo stove to warm up some hot chocolate. With my camo on, boonie hat, and canteen cup w/ steaming hot chocolate, doing the last yard work of the year.
Having a blast with new skills learned. "You Tube" can teach you how if you pay attention. Get prepped!
Old 10-13-2012, 17:42   #29
countrygun

I have been using knives for over 4 decades now and making them for more than a couple as a hobby. I have a forge and the other equipment. I agree with most of the folks here and am glad to see some folks realize that the knife is a tool just like and other you use different types of screwdrivers for different screws why not thingk of knives that way as well?

Several years ago I was laid up after a serious illness and got bored and a good case of cabing fever during a long storm to boot. I had an idea for a simple project to break the boredom and get me back on my feet a bit. Instead of starting with a chunk of steel and going from scratch I wanted to see what I could do with a commonly avaialable knife and some low temp grinding and simple tools. A series of freakish coincidences put the knife I was looking for right in my hands. It started as a "Forge-Craft" cleaver. I cut the clip with a Dremel and cut-off wheel and the whole project took a couple of hours with breaks because i still wan't "healthy". Darned if it didn't turn out to be one of the handiest "camp knives" I've ever used. Pick one of the cleavers up at a garage sale or thrift store or buy it new if you must and give it a try. (Shown with a Gerber LST as a"lightweight kit")

Survival/Preparedness Forum
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08   #30
Maine1

OK, I'll play.

my thoughts on SHTF KNIVES? ( catch the plural in there?)

1) think about SHTF, or an emergency situation, decide what knives you would like to have, and make those your EDC. Right now. Don't ***** or whine about why you CAN'T do it...get it done.

2) Get specific, no BS training if you think you might need to use a knife as a weapon. And IMO, you should have some basic skills- go BEYOND the jailhouse attacks, however. You would not settle for gangbanger level handgun skills, would you? Train. learn. practice. Go see Jim Keating

3) learn to sharpen any knife, on anything. reliance on a factory made "system" is a weakness. MASTER use of a stone, be it diamond or a river rock, or a ceramic fence insulator.

4) practice making and using improvised knives and cutting tools. If this does NOTHING but teach you the value of ALWAYS having a knife on your person, its worth it.

5) Same as above with fire making skills. OK, not knife related, but very important nonetheless.

6) rethink your distaste for a large blade if you have one. Primitive cultures often gravitate to the large blade as a multiuse tool and weapon. They MASTER its use thoughout thier entire lives. and NOBODY calls them tenderfeet, or acuses them of posturing. Large blade use is an American tradition. Read Ferfals thoughts on this as well. You CAN carry- EDC- and conceal a large blade, daily. If i can, so can you. Especially true when you are sans firearms. As other gear gets more limited, or used up, the more useful a large knife is. When you have a backpack full of gear, shelter and food- its a little less crucial. Guess what i am betting on not having with me?

7) learn about knife construction so you can pick a good blade, both in advance, and after SHTF, when you are salvaging "all those guns' left behind. this will help when you decide that i am full of ****, but realize i had a point to all this after the ballon goes up.

8) learn to use an axe, machete, sythe, chainsaw, large and small knife. And sharpen and maintain these tools.

9) use a knife to butcher and prepare an animal for food.

10) wean yourself from folding knives. Go back to carrying a fixed blade(s) for EDC. Its not that hard. That hinge means its already broken. OK, folding knives are aceptable, but it seems some guys want to carry a tiny penknife, yet expect to baton 15" logs with it. We are in an era that seems to think a knife- a FOLDING knife- has to cost $200 to be any good. Could get MANY good fixed blades for that.

11) learn to break firewood, seek tinder, collect it when its dry, and dry wet wood over an existing fire. this will reduce the need to baton those 15" logs with the penknife.

12) don't be afraid of carbon steel. it does not bite. Learn to take care of it- again, not difficult.
13) Make your own knife. Use it.

This is delivered with a little sarcasm, but is still a little of what is in my head. Knives are basic tools, and there is no real reason to ever be without a knfe, and a way to start a fire.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:04   #31
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Survival/Preparedness Forum
Nice. Looks like my old Ontario Knife Works blade, I love that knife for most anything..very heavy and well built. I prefer the old kitchen blades for work knives, started for me I guess with the Dexters I would use commercial fishing.