Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:55   #241
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
"Sure" is a big word in science, but I find the sudden change in the fossil record above and below the KT boundary to be pretty convincing, yes. Are there other theories, of course, but you have to go through some pretty tough mental gymnastics to accept one of those above the much more obvious explanation of an impact event. Occam's Razor and all that...

I'm actually surprised King took that position. Most theists I've talked to accept the impact evidence and assume an enormous tsunami as the result. Still a bit of confirmation bias, but at least one more consistent with observations.
But just how close can you attach these two events? 10 years, 100? 1000? It bears looking into, but it's not certain. Lots if things have happened that man was not around to witness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 13:42   #242
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
But just how close can you attach these two events? 10 years, 100? 1000? It bears looking into, but it's not certain. Lots if things have happened that man was not around to witness.
You are making an argument based on the validity and soundness of the evidence as it supports the proposed hypothesis. This is a reasonable thing to do (I'd disagree that the time interval in question is significant, but let's set that aside for a moment). My point in raising the issue was that King declared that there was no evidence at all.

Quote:
It is ironic that you can accept a hypothesized asterorid hitting earth in the past and causing a cataclysim, for which there is entirely no evidence
Clearly there is evidence. We have a global KT boundary with unusually high levels of iridium (as typically found in meteors). We have an impact crater of sufficient size to cause a global catalclysm (the Chicxulub Crater off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula). We have the iridium samples from various locations around the worls that vary in direct proportion to their distance to the crater. And finally, we have the fossil record which shows a sudden extinction event centered on the KT boundary (with large amounts of species that existed before it, going extinct suddenly after it).

Now, you can challenge any or all of those points on whatever grounds you like (which you have done, for instance) and we can discuss the relative merits of the argument as compared to the evidence, but that is not what King has done (and not what he typically does). He declares unilaterally that evidence does not exist and when someone like me posts such evidence, he never returns to the discussion (or at least doesn't acknowledge that his point has been countered). Invariably, some time later, he makes the same claim again, even though he knows that he was presented with evidence previously.

That's disengenious.

Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 16:55   #243
High-Gear

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by Brokenprism
This really should be called the atheist forum, because you guys own it.

The Internet...Where religion goes to die!

Last edited by High-Gear; 10-01-2012 at 16:56..
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 23:28   #244
G23Gen4TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
The sooner the better.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10   #245
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
You are making an argument based on the validity and soundness of the evidence as it supports the proposed hypothesis. This is a reasonable thing to do (I'd disagree that the time interval in question is significant, but let's set that aside for a moment). My point in raising the issue was that King declared that there was no evidence at all.

Clearly there is evidence. We have a global KT boundary with unusually high levels of iridium (as typically found in meteors). We have an impact crater of sufficient size to cause a global catalclysm (the Chicxulub Crater off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula). We have the iridium samples from various locations around the worls that vary in direct proportion to their distance to the crater. And finally, we have the fossil record which shows a sudden extinction event centered on the KT boundary (with large amounts of species that existed before it, going extinct suddenly after it).

Now, you can challenge any or all of those points on whatever grounds you like (which you have done, for instance) and we can discuss the relative merits of the argument as compared to the evidence, but that is not what King has done (and not what he typically does). He declares unilaterally that evidence does not exist and when someone like me posts such evidence, he never returns to the discussion (or at least doesn't acknowledge that his point has been countered). Invariably, some time later, he makes the same claim again, even though he knows that he was presented with evidence previously.

That's disengenious.
It's absolutely genuine. Some measurable facts like the KT boundary have been used by imaginitive people to tell a story. There are missing but critical pieces of the puzzle still. It's plausible, but not definite. But many people are uncomfortable with the fact that a lot of what has happened in the universe and on this planet are still really mysteries. It's narcissistic to pretend you have all the answers.

--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36   #246
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
This threads like a bar fight, pointless but fun. Anyone want a beer? I'm buying.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Cool. We can discuss theories how a lone guy hung and perfectly balanced a 9 ton coral rock gate you can move with a finger.

http://coralcastle.com/
Old 10-02-2012, 06:38   #247
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Gen4TX View Post
The sooner the better.
Religion has killed millions upon millions of fellow human beings over time. I'm into faith, myself.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10   #248
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
It's absolutely genuine. Some measurable facts like the KT boundary have been used by imaginitive people to tell a story. There are missing but critical pieces of the puzzle still. It's plausible, but not definite. But many people are uncomfortable with the fact that a lot of what has happened in the universe and on this planet are still really mysteries. It's narcissistic to pretend you have all the answers.
Now you are being disengenious (again). I didn't claim to have all the answers, but I did show that there is evidence in support of the theory. You agreed there was evidence (although your position is that it is inconclusive), but then in the same breath claim King was not being disengenious.

King claimed that there was absolutely no evidence at all, inconclusive or otherwise. Clearly there is at least some. You (and he) might not find it compelling, but to continually claim there is zero is just flat out wrong. And you sticking to your one trick pony argument when it's not even applicable to the point at hand is equally wrong.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:48   #249
snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Okay, so all religious violence is acceptable to you with the exception of Islam. Got it.
Have you not on several occasions claimed to be a Christian? So why are you bearing false witness against your neighbor, and on behalf of a false prophet's homicidal followers who are attacking us, no less?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00   #250
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
It's narcissistic to pretend you have all the answers.
Serious question, why do you only seem to challenge athiests when they evaluate empirical evidence and come to a tentative conclusion, but never seem to challenge theists when they claim absolute certainty based on no evidence at all?

It seems to me that if you believe that we are narcissitc for following the scientific method (which never claims absolute certainty) then you must also consider them to be that much more so since they claim divinely inspired absolutes based on faith alone?

Old 10-05-2012, 14:27   #251
snowbird

Quote:
... we ... follow... the scientific method (which never claims absolute certainty)
Oh, you mean like this? "No atheist has ever killed a human being because they were atheist. Ever, not one" (Glock36shooter, in post #153).
Old 10-05-2012, 14:40   #252
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Oh, you mean like this? "No atheist has ever killed a human being because they were atheist. Ever, not one" (Glock36shooter, in post #153).
You still haven't illustrated otherwise.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote