Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 14:39   #1
DirtyDan

Tenifer-When switched

I knew Glock had been playing with different finishes the last couple of years and had heard rumors about them stopping using the actual Tenifer process and today I talked to Glock Inc. and they said that yes they have stopped using Tenifer and now use a similar although not exactly the same process.The CS rep could not tell me why or when they switched.

Does anyone know when Glock stopped using the actual Tenifer process?
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:49   #2
cowboy1964

Be aware that the metal treatment and the top coat are two different things. The Tenifer is underneath the top coat.

I just picked up a Gen 4 23. The improved grippiness of the lighter gray finish is really welcome.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:12   #3
DannyR

GLOCK has indeed replaced the Tenifer process with a Nitrate (or Nitride) process. I think the transition took place at least a year ago. I learned of it in March 2012 at Armorer's Class.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DannyR; 10-04-2012 at 15:13..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:18   #4
BBMW

Tennifer was a nitride process (ferric nitrocarborizing?) From what I heard, they switched to Melonite, which is a different name brand of ferric nitrocarborizing. Interestingly, they're both sold by the same company.

And yes, Glock puts a cosmetic top coat on top of this.
BBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:22   #5
seed

Tennifer uses cyanide as a medium and is either illegal to use in the U.S. or is strictly regulated (with obvious good reason). Melonite uses a different medium and is much more common here and is probably catching on in Europe.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:48   #6
DirtyDan

Last new Glock I purchased was a G26 with a Manufacture date of July 2009. Slide finish is black and shiny, but the barrel looks more greyish. I had never even noticed it until reading about the different finishes and went and compared it with my older Glocks. Not real concerned about it as long it has the Tenifer under it and it sounds like I should have based on the manufacture date.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

It's all about using safer chemicals in the process.
Basically the same metal treatment.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:16   #8
SmoKoY

I was wondering that too. Got my g19 gen 3 (US not Austria) and noticed the duller finish of the slide compared to my brother's g19 gen3 mariner (Austria) which had a more glossy texture.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
SmoKoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:26   #9
ricklee4570

Anytime a proven process (Tennifer) is changed, people become nervous. The big question is whether the new treatment will be a durable and rust resistant as the old treatment. Time will tell.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34   #10
gwdex

Quote:
Originally Posted by seed View Post
Tennifer uses cyanide as a medium and is either illegal to use in the U.S. or is strictly regulated (with obvious good reason). Melonite uses a different medium and is much more common here and is probably catching on in Europe.
Tenifer and Melonite are essentially the same process, both manufactured by HEF. Both develop a small amount of cyanide, along with the cyanates produced in the salt bath, which create a compound layer of nitride over a diffusion zone.

Greg
gwdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56   #11
ricklee4570

If they both are so similar and both have the same byproduct of cyanide, why did Glock switch?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09   #12
Ridder

Maybe they didn't.......

They still have Tenifer mentioned on their site!

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_intro.htm
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17   #13
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder View Post
Maybe they didn't.......

They still have Tenifer mentioned on their site!

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_intro.htm
I wouldn't go by that their website is usually out of date. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44   #14
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
Anytime a proven process (Tennifer) is changed, people become nervous. The big question is whether the new treatment will be a durable and rust resistant as the old treatment. Time will tell.
Time has already told. Many reports of the new finish sucking for wear & more reports of glocks rusting in spots from normal holster wear & carry.
Many more reports then the older glocks before they started this new process.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31   #15
gwdex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
If they both are so similar and both have the same byproduct of cyanide, why did Glock switch?
At this time, I'm not convinced that they have. However, that said, both the Melonite and Tenifer processes develop small amounts of cyanide and cyanate in the nitriding salt bath as the process is performed. The cyanide and cyanate are important to the reactions that take place in the salt bath as the medium interacts with the surfaces of the ferritic materials being processed. The compound layer of nitride is formed, and a diffusion zone made up of carbon and nitrogen components is immediately beneath. Once the process cycle is completed, the parts are removed from the nitride bath and immersed in a second oxidizing salt bath that chemically destroys the cyanide and cyanate. Subsequent to immersion in the oxidizing bath, the parts are removed and cooled in water to near room temperature, followed by washing to remove salt residues.

With proper immersion of the parts in the oxidizing bath, cyanide and cyanate by-products are destroyed. Analyzing the wash water will reveal that free cyanide is not present. If both processes are performed correctly, Glock should not have significant concerns with cyanide being present on the parts they surface treat after they are FNC processed.

My direct familiarity with the salt bath FNC processes noted is limited to the Melonite, as we perform said process in our company, which is involved in commercial heat treating.

Greg
gwdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55   #16
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

The USA "tennifer" is indeed different than the Austria "tennifer." It came down to the EPA which would not grant US the various certificates to use the same materials. Hence, US had to fine a like and very close product that met the EPA.

This was a detailed topic in an armorer's class nearly three years ago. Gwdex writes up some of what Glock USA dealt with, in dealing with the EPA.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42   #17
9mm +p+

Yet another reason to find older Glocks...
Old 10-05-2012, 14:10   #18
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Yet another reason to find older Glocks...
I can't won't argue that. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:59   #19
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

as long as it doesnt rust......

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:05   #20
Raleigh Glocker

It's not like Tenifer Glocks are the only pistols that are resistant to rust. If the new Glocks are experiencing spot rusting, then Glock picked the wrong thing to replace Tenifer (if not truly Melonite) or needs to get better at Melonite.

However, I would not care a hoot whether I got a gun finished properly with Tenifer or with Melonite.

Raleigh Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote