Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:57   #61
Goaltender66
NRA GoldenEagle

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-47-perc...-election.html

Quote:
In an interview Thursday night with Fox News, Romney was asked what he would have said had the "47 percent" comments come up during his debate in Denver on Wednesday night with President Barack Obama.

"Well, clearly in a campaign, with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question-and-answer sessions, now and then you're going to say something that doesn't come out right," Romney said. "In this case, I said something that's just completely wrong."

He added: "And I absolutely believe, however, that my life has shown that I care about 100 percent and that's been demonstrated throughout my life. And this whole campaign is about the 100 percent."
And failing to understand the real political situation here is why Ronulans lose at politics.

The way the comments were being played out and reported on by a hostile media is that the 47% of Americans who don't pay income taxes all have an entitlement mentality. And while that isn't what Romney was saying, that's what the meme turned into. His individual points were absolutely correct...that the 47% of people who don't pay income tax aren't going to be reached by a low-tax message, and Obama's 47% base is made up of people who believe in government freebies. Obama and his allies in the press purposely conflated the two and left Romney with a big crap sandwich. Either he could defend it, in which case he's explaining and not winning, or he could disarm the talking point (which was largely aimed at low-info voters who accept anything Obama spoon feeds them) and just say "Fine, OK, I got it wrong" and move on.

Conservatives have a tough enough job trying to get our messages through the biased media filters on the things we are absolutely correct on. But wasting cycles refuting a media-created meme is counterproductive. And, of course, it removes that particular talking point from the next three debates.

Although, if you want to get overly pedantic, Romney was actually saying that he was wrong to say he doesn't worry about that 47%...
The US Air Force has started including tax protester literature in the emergency supplies of their aircraft. If the plane crashes in a remote area, the crew is instructed to read the pamphlets and Goalie will be along shortly to rebut them.

Last edited by Goaltender66; 10-05-2012 at 09:10..
Goaltender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13   #62
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaltender66 View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/romney-47-perc...-election.html

And failing to understand the real political situation here is why Ronulans lose at politics.

The way the comments were being played out and reported on by a hostile media is that the 47% of Americans who don't pay income taxes all have an entitlement mentality. And while that isn't what Romney was saying, that's what the meme turned into. His individual points were absolutely correct...that the 47% of people who don't pay income tax aren't going to be reached by a low-tax message, and Obama's 47% base is made up of people who believe in government freebies. Obama and his allies in the press purposely conflated the two and left Romney with a big crap sandwich. Either he could defend it, in which case he's explaining and not winning, or he could disarm the talking point (which was largely aimed at low-info voters who accept anything Obama spoon feeds them) and just say "Fine, OK, I got it wrong" and move on.

Conservatives have a tough enough job trying to get our messages through the biased media filters on the things we are absolutely correct on. But wasting cycles refuting a media-created meme is counterproductive. And, of course, it removes that particular talking point from the next three debates.

Although, if you want to get overly pedantic, Romney was actually saying that he was wrong to say he doesn't worry about that 47%...
Thank you for that detailed clarification...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 16:52   #63
GAFinch

Huffington Post
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote