Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2012, 13:52   #1
johncalloway

Glock 20 Question in Connector

I have a glock 20 I just bought used. I tried to put a new 3.5 connector that I have had in several of my other glocks so I know it's not the connector. I put it in, and wouldn't fire so I thought. I took apart and put it back in several times, and it wouldn't fire, which led me to taking my glock back apart the long way several times. Last time I took it apart and reinstalled it, and put it together still wouldn't fire. Frustrated, I shook it in my hand and click. Thats right, shaking it made it fire. So what is the deal? What does that mean? Thanks in Advance.
johncalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 13:54   #2
VN350X10

You say it was bought used.....did you test-fire it before doing ANYTHING else ?

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:08   #3
TattooedGlock
NRA LIFE MEMBER

It means you didn't need the 3.5 connector and that it would have shot fine if you'd have let it be; or it's broke. Ok, really though, it sounds like one of the spring ends wasn't seated right and shaking it put it in place.

GSSF Life Member
1911 Club and Big Dawg Member
TattooedGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 14:48   #4
johncalloway

its fine with the stock connector. It's not broke. Something is just not right on thie connector for this Glock. It's not a out of place problem. When I put stock connector in it is fine. maybe they have changed something else in it and its to light for the new connector. Like I said I know this connector is fine. It has been in 3 other glocks, but not this one.
Old 09-30-2012, 21:57   #5
johncalloway

Ok update!!

I just put it in my buddy's Glock 21, and it works fine. So that covers my theory about it be doing something in a large frame

Next theory is, something has been changed out in mine, which may make it not work. I'm thinking a spring. Anyone know which spring it may be?
Old 09-30-2012, 22:08   #6
Any Cal.

See if his trigger bar works in your gun with that connector, not much else left.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 22:28   #7
arushus
Biggest Member

Sounds like the trigger bar isnt being forced down far enough to release the striker. Is there some sort of over-travel device installed?
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:08   #8
johncalloway

No there's no over travel in there. It's almost like its to light for it because shaking it makes it fire. Could someone have changed it to a ny spring that makes it to light.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09   #9
johncalloway

I should add shaking it while holding the trigger makes it fire. By the way this is unloaded at the kitchen table. Don't want everyone thinking I'm at the range shaking this thing wildly around.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11   #10
johncalloway

He's already gone. I should have swapped out the whole assembly and tried it. Didn't even think of that.
Old 10-01-2012, 18:59   #11
VN350X10

Just on a wild ***** guess, check your STRIKER spring......

I've had problems with using a Wolff light weight striker spring, misfires, not fire, too light to fire, etc.
The lg. frame guns don't like them. Work great in the small guns.
Not positive, but worth checking.

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:51   #12
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Internet gunsmithing is never easy. Are you 100% positive that you haven't got some sort of trigger stop installed in that pistol? (Look behind the left-hand side, 'drop safety wing'. Do you see a little set screw?)

Here's what's happening: There is a downward angle towards the rear of the slide on a 4.5# (nominal 3.5#) connector. The trigger bar is proceeding to this point and, then, getting hung up (for whatever reason) on the extreme downward slope of the connector bar. It's just hanging there until you shake the pistol; and, voila, the trigger bar's, 'bird's head' suddenly slips off the connector, and the FP lug snaps forward firing the pistol.

Something, I have no idea what, is impeding the movement of the trigger bar. You don't have a connector problem; what you have is a trigger bar and, possibly, a trigger housing problem. Me? I'd change the trigger housing unit, first. If that didn't work, then I'd change the trigger bar, too.

Here's that angle I'm talking about:

The 10 Ring

Last edited by Arc Angel; 10-01-2012 at 19:54..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:57   #13
arushus
Biggest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Internet gunsmithing is never easy. Are you 100% positive that you haven't got some sort of trigger stop installed in that pistol? (Look behind the left-hand side, 'drop safety wing'. Do you see a little set screw?)

Here's what's happening: There is a downward angle towards the rear of the slide on a 4.5# (nominal 3.5#) connector. The trigger bar is proceeding to this point and, then, getting hung up (for whatever reason) on the extreme downward slope of the connector bar. It's just hanging there until you shake the pistol; and, voila, the trigger bar's, 'bird's head' suddenly slips off the connector, and the FP lug snaps forward firing the pistol.

Something, I have no idea what, is impeding the movement of the trigger bar. You don't have a connector problem; what you have is a trigger bar and, possibly, a trigger housing problem. Me? I'd change the trigger housing unit, first. If that didn't work, then I'd change the trigger bar, too.

Here's that angle I'm talking about:

The 10 Ring
This is exactly what I was thinking, just didnt feel like typing all that out on a blackberry playbook...
Sounds like there is an issue with the trigger bar not going far enough to the rear and far enough down to release the striker. Could be the trigger bar or the trigger housing like angel said.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45   #14
johncalloway

I just got home from work. I took the slide off hoping to see a set screw. Nope, nada. What would have happened to the trigger bar or housing?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47   #15
johncalloway

Might be a good time to install a lone wolf over travel housing. I was going to just get a rocket, but since I got to change it anyway ill
Just go that route.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16   #16
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking, just didnt feel like typing all that out on a blackberry playbook...

Sounds like there is an issue with the trigger bar not going far enough to the rear and far enough down to release the striker. Could be the trigger bar or the trigger housing like angel said.
Great minds think alike!

Yes, it's fairly obvious that something is impeding trigger bar travel. The question is, 'What'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncalloway View Post
I just got home from work. I took the slide off hoping to see a set screw. Nope, nada. What would have happened to the trigger bar or housing?
John, without actually holding your Glock in my hands I'm unable to tell what's going on. You could have any of the following: (or, maybe, even something I'm unfamiliar with)

There could be something stuck behind either one of the drop safety, 'wings'. The trigger housing slots could be gouged. I'm wondering whether or not your FP safety is functioning properly, too. I'm even curious to know if your trigger bar is, somehow, torqued? Is there a burr on the, 'bird's head'?

Like I said, 'Internet gunsmithing can be tough!' About the only thing I do not doubt is that your trigger bar is hanging up on the, 'negative slope' of that 4.5# connector. It's NOT dropping enough to fully release the striker lug. So, you're going to have to tell me what mechanical idiosyncrasy is impeding the bar's continued rearward travel and subsequent fall?

ADDED: Answer me this! What is the number on your trigger bar's cruciform?
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17   #17
johncalloway

Ok. New update. I went to my LGS. He's a glock armored. I figured I would buy a new connector and if there was a problem, he would figure it out. He had a ghost. One that has been giving me trouble was a zevtech. He brought it back installed, and worked like a dream. I told him my problem. He said because of glocks tolerances. I guess he means loose, some connectors have problems.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26   #18
Java Junky

Nit pickin': the bar with the minus sign is the factory Glock 4.5 lb.
If the 3.5 has a minus sign on it, then they've both got that minus sign.
('Least that's what I've been readin'.)
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 15:48   #19
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
Nit pickin': the bar with the minus sign is the factory Glock 4.5 lb.
If the 3.5 has a minus sign on it, then they've both got that minus sign.
('Least that's what I've been readin'.)
I have 2 original Glock connectors in front of me now (from my Gen 3 G20, and Gen 2 G22). They are exactly as the middle one in the pic. No - marking. Both have slight wear marks (similar to a -) near the same area, but it's not an intentional mark/stamp, just a wear mark on the finish.
Old 10-02-2012, 18:45   #20
Any Cal.

3.5 was renamed 4.5 and is identified by "-". No marking on stock 5.5. 8lb has "+". There is also a "." 5 lb for the newer gen4, to reduce the heavy pull on the redesigned trigger bar.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:55   #21
GGGN

Had same prob. when I installed 3.5 in one of my glocks. Happens sometimes
Old 10-04-2012, 16:14   #22
Java Junky

Would you care to elaborate GG?
'Just ordered a pair'a 3.5's.
Old 10-04-2012, 16:16   #23
Java Junky

'Not arguin' AnyCal, just askin' 'cause I don't know: but the price of a 4.5 connector is somethin' like 15 bucks and the same outfits carrying the 3.5 is 25 of your hard-earned.
Is the newbie bein' hosed?

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-05-2012 at 06:35..
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05   #24
GGGN

Had a NIB and wanted to put a 3.5 in it and it would not reset. Would work once and only once. Put that 3.5 c in a different gun and it worked fine. Some triggerbars and con. do not work together. Does not happen often but it has happens before with different glocks I have installed them in for the shop. So I new how to fix it. I would not worry you will be fine.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30   #25
arushus
Biggest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
'Not arguin' AnyCal, just askin' 'cause I don't know: but the price of a 4.5 connector is somethin' like 15 bucks and the same outfits carrying the 3.5 is 25 of your hard-earned.
Is the newbie bein' hosed?
The glock "-" 4.5lb connector from glockmeister was the same price as most other 3.5lb connectors, $25...at least it was when I bought one...