GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:12   #201
JuneyBooney

I would suggest the little Rebel is fine for classes and riding around the neighborhood but it will be too small for road trips other than the 7 eleven. But in reality cycles are very deadly and you should stick with four wheels. I have ridden for years but not as much recently because of an eye injury. Cars are si much easier and they have metal around them for protection. Good luck in your decision.
JuneyBooney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45   #202
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LippCJ7 View Post
Let me make the Helmet issue easy for you,

Full face Helmet with Clear visor makes riding at at night a no brainer, simply wear Sun Glasses during the day and at night take the sunglasses off and flip the clear visor down.

Full Face helmets are warmer also.

open face can be nice but you have to think about the night time riding situation, either have a helmet with a clear visor that can be snapped on or take night riding glasses with you.

I have both, but I have been riding a very long time, you may just have to jump in one way or the other and figure out which is for you and the Lady. Sometimes I don't wear a helmet at all its my choice and I exercise it.
I usually don't wear a helmet, but I still have 4 - full-face, half, 3/4 and novelty half. The 3/4 is a good all around helmet, for riding into a helmet state, or for riding in a big group ride where somebody might run over me or for riding when on military duty status and a helmet is required. But the full face is by far the best for rain, cold and distance without a windshield. Going to South Dakota next summer I have a route through non-helmet states, but I'll take the full-face along, just for bad weather.

For after dark, I have chrome sogftail toolboxes on both sides of my bike and I keep clear safety glasses in one (also good for locking up my gun if I need to).

My 3/4 Bell 500 helmet and the toolbox where I keep clear glasses.
The Okie Corral
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24   #203
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I usually don't wear a helmet, but I still have 4 - full-face, half, 3/4 and novelty half. The 3/4 is a good all around helmet, for riding into a helmet state, or for riding in a big group ride where somebody might run over me or for riding when on military duty status and a helmet is required. But the full face is by far the best for rain, cold and distance without a windshield. Going to South Dakota next summer I have a route through non-helmet states, but I'll take the full-face along, just for bad weather.

For after dark, I have chrome sogftail toolboxes on both sides of my bike and I keep clear safety glasses in one (also good for locking up my gun if I need to).

My 3/4 Bell 500 helmet and the toolbox where I keep clear glasses.
The Okie Corral
That's like the guys who say they only carry when they're going to need it, as though it's something you can predict.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02   #204
Java Junky

It's kind'a like the rationale of keeping a loaded gun in the house because keeping an unloaded one ain't gonna do'yuh'a hell'uv'a lodda good in the kind of situation that requires such measures.
I've found that goin' down, while it thankfully doesn't happen but once in'a blue moon, never gives me time to blink, let alone put on'a helmet.
But, that said, I am in total agreement with one's right to exercise their right to wear, or, not to wear a helmet.

Inconvenient at times? 'Sure is.
But, all it takes is the once.
'Don't wanna wear a helmet'n still be protected?
Sportscar.

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-05-2012 at 06:08.. Reason: Oldztimerz.
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47   #205
dabigguns357

We both found some really nice full face helmets last night along with 2 pair of riding gloves and jackets, even got her some riding glassed that have 3 different tint shades.

Even is doesn't take up riding after the course she will still need them when she rides with me
dabigguns357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:21   #206
Gonzoso

I think the helmet with a clear visor is best. This allows you to put on shades in the day and ride at night.

I also like to carry clear riding glasses, because sometimes when it gets foggy I pop the visor.

My first helmet had tinted lens, that sucked at night!

I had to wear a 3/4 helmet for a little bit once. I've also ridden a few times with no helmet to see what it was like.

Not my cup of tea. Don't know why everyone is so into that, I took bugs to the face, got hit by a stone in the interstate and it hurt like hell, and over 80 I just kept thinking about my head hitting the pavement and blowing my brains over the highway like a watermelon.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22   #207
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Helmet with internal drop down sun visor is where it's at. Some helmets don't really allow for sun glasses. And the internal shield is a half second flick of a switch and you have it either down or up out of the way.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55   #208
Eurodriver

Full face helmet.

Tinted visor.

Scala G9.

/now that we can end this conversation about helmets...what kind of jackets do you guys wear for high 50s-60s temps?
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10   #209
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Junky View Post
It's kind'a like the rationale of keeping a loaded gun in the house because keeping an unloaded one ain't gonna do'yuh'a hell'uv'a lodda good in the kind of situation that requires such measures.
I've found that goin' down, while it thankfully doesn't happen but once in'a blue moon, never gives me time to blink, let alone put on'a helmet.
But, that said, I am in total agreement with one's right to exercise their right to wear, or, not to wear a helmet.

Inconvenient at times? 'Sure is.
But, all it takes is the once.
'Don't wanna wear a helmet'n still be protected?
Sportscar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
Full face helmet.

Tinted visor.

Scala G9.

/now that we can end this conversation about helmets...what kind of jackets do you guys wear for high 50s-60s temps?
Leather bomber jackets and chaps over jeans
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35   #210
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigguns357 View Post
OK and wow,lots to think about.The reason i brought up the helmet is in the pamplet it says to bring eye wear,helmet is provided but we may bring our own.She gets a bit creeped out about using a Used helmet,her words not mine.Oh and she did make a joke about the pamplet not including a hair brush in the things to bring.

Over all she is very excited,lets hope she will be during,after the class.
They do clean the helmets if hygiene is what you and the missus worry about.

I'm not going to debate helmet versus no helmet. That's an individual decision, at least in states with no helmet laws.

Full face is best for protection and comfort.

3/4" is less. Half is even less. Turtle shell is nearlhy worthless.

Then there's the flip-up that gives full face comfort with near full face protection (still have a joint that is a weakness instead of a true solid design).

It's all about degrees of comfort versus convenience.

Whenever I toot around town, I'd wear the 3/4" helmet. Whenever I hit the freeway, I'd go full face. But that's me. Everybody has to weigh their needs and desires. We're all big boys and big girls.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40   #211
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
They do clean the helmets if hygiene is what you and the missus worry about.
You can also use a hood (balaclava) if you worry about that.

It is also nice to switch them out one hot days. Keeps your own helmet much cleaner.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:27   #212
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Quote:
Full face helmet.

Tinted visor.

Scala G9.

Same one I wear in temps from 40s to 100+. Just throw in a windblocking layer for Temps under 60ish. Any temps below 40 or 50 and I switch to my "winter" jacket which has a better liner system and maybe even break out the electric heated jacket for longer trips.
Old 10-05-2012, 13:30   #213
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Let's not get too crazy about gear configuration. Let the lady pass the MSF course first.
Old 10-05-2012, 13:39   #214
Java Junky

'Godda go with clear visors.
Sooner or later you're gonna get caught out after dark.
Tinted visors and dark don't mix. (Okay, okay. So they mix once.)

The Okie Corral

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-05-2012 at 13:41..
Old 10-05-2012, 14:47   #215
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Again internal visors are where it's at. Decent low cost helmet with an internal visor........Scorpion EXO 500.
Old 10-05-2012, 15:14   #216
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Ironically, today I got mowed down by an SUV on my bike...I was getting into a turning lane and some ass**** decides he wants in too at the last minute. Only problem is, he didn't see me whatsoever until he had already hit me and damn near run me over.

Road rash on left forearm and broken pinky finger was the result. I'll ride again (tomorrow probably). I'm just glad he didn't run me over or it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-05-2012 at 15:15..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 15:21   #217
dabigguns357

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Let's not get too crazy about gear configuration. Let the lady pass the MSF course first.
I understand,but even if she doesn't drive a motorcycle she will be riding with me and she will still need all the gear.So pass or not she will have it and enjoy the ride one way or another.
Old 10-05-2012, 15:23   #218
Java Junky

That he stopped is unusual, 'leastwize, it is here in 'Joizey.
'Glad yer alright 'trix.

Last edited by Java Junky; 10-05-2012 at 16:20..
Old 10-05-2012, 16:24   #219
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
That he stopped is unusual, 'leastwize, it is here in 'Joizey.
'Glad yer alright 'trix.
I'm ok...the road rash on my left forearm is deep, but is burning a little less now. But, my left knee and pinky are still throbbing (pinky is broken, knee they're not sure yet). When he hit me I low-sided and slid about 5 feet.

I'm going to be laying up for the rest of the day/night for sure.
Old 10-05-2012, 16:24   #220
Eurodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
Ironically, today I got mowed down by an SUV on my bike...I was getting into a turning lane and some ass**** decides he wants in too at the last minute. Only problem is, he didn't see me whatsoever until he had already hit me and damn near run me over.

Road rash on left forearm and broken pinky finger was the result. I'll ride again (tomorrow probably). I'm just glad he didn't run me over or it could have been a lot worse.
And your response to his idiocy?

Did you beat his ass?
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 16:26   #221
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Were you wearing any protective gear? If so what kind so we know to avoid it.
Old 10-05-2012, 16:31   #222
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbandit View Post
Were you wearing any protective gear? If so what kind so we know to avoid it.
Just a half-helmet, but my head never hit the pavement. It's really hot down here so leathers on the arms are almost impossible. I just had a short-sleeve shirt on. Had I been wearing winter gear I could have avoided all the road rash on my forearm, but like I said it's just not doable right now until winter comes.

I'll admit, I took the chance with no leather over my arms, and I paid for it.
Old 10-05-2012, 17:08   #223
Java Junky

'Trix, I share your need for leather to feel right on'a bike. And summer up here's brutal in leathers, I can't imagine what it's like down there.
Some years back I tripped on these mesh jackets and pants by Vanson. (I'm sure by now everybody's godd'em.)
It might not be just wearing a tee, but it's damn close.
Summer nights in one'a these Victoria's Secret outfits will have you shivering.
As for their usefulness in'a tank-slapper . . I can only go by what I've read about them.
But, they might be worth checkin' out.
(Yeah, yeah. I know. Why couldn't I've mentioned that yesterday.)
Think healing thoughts.

Not to be totally cold . . but what's the damage to your ride? (Hey. Rides don't heal's why I ask.)
Old 10-05-2012, 17:37   #224
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
And your response to his idiocy?

Did you beat his ass?
That was actually my first reaction after I picked my bike up, I headed towards his vehicle to yank him out and whip his ass but a state trooper a few cars behind us witnessed the entire thing and calmed me down. I'm kind of glad for the adrenaline though, as the pain from my injuries didn't kick in until later. Now, I'm hurting pretty good.

I know, not the best reaction but I was beyond pissed.

Quote:
Not to be totally cold . . but what's the damage to your ride? (Hey. Rides don't heal's why I ask.)

Not bad...clutch lever was straightened completely out, rash on the exhaust, grip, and footpeg. The bike actually took less damage than I did. No worries though, his insurance is going to pay for it anyway. I lived, the bike survived, all is well.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-05-2012 at 17:48..
Old 10-05-2012, 17:41   #225
LippCJ7

Ok on Gear, that kinda goes with the style riding, I have always worn leather, didn't matter if I was racing a sport bike in Dainese Leathers or my Harley acting all johnny bada** Weekend Warrior in Black Leathers, my Wife has her own set as well as a passenger, just because she is not operating means nothing. Helmets and Leathers is one area where I believe you get what you pay for but anything is better then nothing, I have gone down at well over 100 MPH and I can tell you its not fun but amazing that after skipping for a hundred feet the first thing you do is stand up to go check your bike, which is when you suddenly realize your still sliding at 20 MPH and do your own rendition of a Lawn Dart.

Leather has become something of a fashion statement but I cannot tell you the value of mitigating road rash.

Just ask Tantrix....

BTW Tantrix, Sorry about the bad luck.

Last edited by LippCJ7; 10-05-2012 at 17:44..
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote