Old 10-04-2012, 17:34   #26
SJ 40

In a word No, nor will I ever. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:35   #27
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I use one on a taurus 85 38special

Last edited by FireForged; 10-04-2012 at 20:35..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45   #28
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

If they are, I'm sure we will be reading about it in the news sooner or later...
Old 10-06-2012, 10:48   #29
sappy13

I have a clipdraw on my gen 4 glock 19 that sits beside my bed. I rarely use it for carry, I have other guns that are more concealable for that, but when I do I carry it i carry unchambered. Any other time I carry I carry chambered(stupid not to), but for this one case I wont. Its nice for taking the dog out at night or for a quick run to the store. I wouldnt recommend it by any means as a everyday means of carry.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:52   #30
Darkangel1846

Clip draw is fine as long as its not a glock with one in the pipe.....any DAO handgun is ok as long as it has a heaver trigger pull.(but you still have to be careful and think ahead.)
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06   #31
PhotoFeller

By the way, anyone who thinks of a ClipDraw as a flimsy, weak-clip device will be surprised at it's ability to securely hold a full size Glock. On my G19 and G22, the ClipDraw supports the weight and ably keeps the pistol in place.

I agree that a Glock with one in the chamber is probably not a good idea with ClipDraw carry unless a NY trigger is on board. Even with the NY, I'd be uneasy.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:02   #32
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

Clipdraw and Vanguard2 are alright, but I prefer a Zack holster: basically a kydex trigger-guard cover that allows for Mexican carry

Last edited by Hamrhed; 10-07-2012 at 13:02..
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:42   #33
Schlitz

>carrying a glock IWB held up by a small skinny clip
>carrying a glock IWB with this method - CHAMBERED
>this method isn't even a holster and doesn't cover the trigger at all
>glocks only external safety is ON THE TRIGGER

>some people on glock talk actually carry in public like this

>even worse - some thing it's a perfectly "safe" and good idea just because there aren't any news articles about ND's with the clip draw.

I don't need a damn news article to know a bad/stupid idea when I see one. I can think for myself. Carrying IWB without a holster/without anything at least covering the trigger ON A GLOCK is an accident waiting to happen. In a perfect world with a perfect scenario it'll never go off - we don't live in a perfect world and we carry because we know that we could never know what to expect when we leave the house.

Go buy a holster before you hurt yourself or even worse, someone else. I could never forgive myself if I had an accident in a public place and hit someone else or their family, especially if I was carrying in a reckless way that is even discouraged by the manufacturer of the carry method. (the clip draw in this example)

Last edited by Schlitz; 10-08-2012 at 00:43.. Reason: perfect world*
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05   #34
guitargene82
Taggin along...

I'm sure an iconic firearms expert such as let's say- Bill Jordan never meant to have an accident with a firearm, he obviously went years and years before having an accident. That being said, I can never be too careful, to me a clipdraw and an open trigger guard is not enough caution. But if it works for you, fine, just don't ask a question and get pissed when you get answers.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36   #35
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot more negligent discharges attributed to holsters than have been to a Clipdraw.

I have carried with one (Glock 23) and found no issue with it. As others have stated, between the waistband of the pants and a shirt tucked on the inside of the gun, or just the person's body, there is nothing that would get into the trigger guard. When I first started using it, I carried with an empty chamber. After a couple of months of nothing depressing the trigger, I felt it was safe to carry it chambered. Again, nothing happened in YEARS of carrying that way. I only switched to carrying with a Supertuck because of comfort.

Some of the comments to this thread seem to lack the ability to use their heads and come up with a simple answer to the question "What will get inside the trigger guard and pull the trigger?" If the answer is "Your finger," the person will shoot themself even with a holster.

If their concern is "something" while carrying in the 12 o'clock position, then that person and every woman they've ever been with have my deepest sympathies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by NH Trucker; 10-08-2012 at 08:13..
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47   #36
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
I don't need a damn news article to know a bad/stupid idea when I see one. I can think for myself. Carrying IWB without a holster/without anything at least covering the trigger ON A GLOCK is an accident waiting to happen. In a perfect world with a perfect scenario it'll never go off - we don't live in a perfect world and we carry because we know that we could never know what to expect when we leave the house.
Using your logic.
Being 30,000 feet up up in the air is a stupid/bad idea. There is so much that can go wrong and you fall for 6 miles before impacting the earth. Despite the fact that reported incidences of crash show car travel is more dangerous, I will just never fly because it is a stupid idea.

If there are no reported incidences of ND with clip carry, then it is NOT as bad an idea as you perceive it to be, or there would be ND everywhere.

Just like flying, professionalism in equipment handling goes a long way towards safety.
Old 10-08-2012, 19:33   #37
SCmasterblaster

Nope. It's not for me and my G17.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:59   #38
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Using your logic.
Being 30,000 feet up up in the air is a stupid/bad idea. There is so much that can go wrong and you fall for 6 miles before impacting the earth. Despite the fact that reported incidences of crash show car travel is more dangerous, I will just never fly because it is a stupid idea.
What are you talking about? I'm not talking about flying - I'm talking about carrying a gun with no external safeties with a clip draw. Two completely different subjects.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16   #39
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Trucker View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot more negligent discharges attributed to holsters than have been to a Clipdraw.

I have carried with one (Glock 23) and found no issue with it. As others have stated, between the waistband of the pants and a shirt tucked on the inside of the gun, or just the person's body, there is nothing that would get into the trigger guard. When I first started using it, I carried with an empty chamber. After a couple of months of nothing depressing the trigger, I felt it was safe to carry it chambered. Again, nothing happened in YEARS of carrying that way. I only switched to carrying with a Supertuck because of comfort.

Some of the comments to this thread seem to lack the ability to use their heads and come up with a simple answer to the question "What will get inside the trigger guard and pull the trigger?" If the answer is "Your finger," the person will shoot themself even with a holster.

If their concern is "something" while carrying in the 12 o'clock position, then that person and every woman they've ever been with have my deepest sympathies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
My personal concern would be with what you mentioned... The shirt catching the trigger as it comes untucked during the day.

There have been a number of instances of shirts, jacket strings etc getting into the trigger guard. Stretching caused enough tension to the shirt to pull the trigger.

Personally I'm super careful about re-holstering. I don't want any soft flexible material inside my "holster" by design. With a clipdraw you potentially have soft pants material/shirt/underpants or whatever riding alongside your trigger.

But to each his own I guess.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:17   #40
Ernroe

As a follow up to my earlier post regarding carrying via the Clipdraw. 1. there will never be universal agreement on this issue. 2. It took me a long time to warm up to the Glock, it is Butt Ugly, not as accurate as my Para and BHP but accurate enough for self defense, ergonomically it does not measure up to the 1911, 3. It is inherently not safe because of the lack of external safeties. As the tenor of the responses to this thread make so clear and I agree. 4. Having said that, it is one of the most reliable out of the box pistols ever made and that is the bottom line.

So, in order to make it safe I have sent it off to have a manual safety installed. But, I fully plan to carry it with a Clipdraw. In my opinion, if a pistol is not safe when carrying with a Clipdraw I will sell it to someone with a holster.

Be Good,

Ernie
Ernroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:44   #41
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernroe View Post
As a follow up to my earlier post regarding carrying via the Clipdraw. 1. there will never be universal agreement on this issue. 2. It took me a long time to warm up to the Glock, it is Butt Ugly, not as accurate as my Para and BHP but accurate enough for self defense, ergonomically it does not measure up to the 1911, 3. It is inherently not safe because of the lack of external safeties. As the tenor of the responses to this thread make so clear and I agree. 4. Having said that, it is one of the most reliable out of the box pistols ever made and that is the bottom line.

So, in order to make it safe I have sent it off to have a manual safety installed. But, I fully plan to carry it with a Clipdraw. In my opinion, if a pistol is not safe when carrying with a Clipdraw I will sell it to someone with a holster.

Be Good,

Ernie
I think this topic needed to be discussed, so I'm glad you started the thread. As with most topics, there are opinions on both sides. Readers, especially those new to CC, can consider the arguments and decide for themselves. Thats the real value of Glock Talk.

Which external safety are you having installed? I'm thinking about adding one to the G19 I sometimes carry in C3 with ClipDraw.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-10-2012 at 16:27..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15   #42
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

It's really not suprising that people can't see outside their own bubble, that's just the way people are. I'm no exception most of the time, but I try to be.

There are people for whom carrying with only a clip draw with one in the pipe is the correct thing to do on occasion. I'm not one of them; I don't work that job; I don't live in that neighborhood, but they do exist.

It's doubtful that any of the posters here fall in that category either.

The small additional discomfort (if any) of using a proper holster can be eliminated by choosing the correct holster and buying the right clothes to accomodate the change in lifestyle.

Edit: The Cominolli safety is a reliable device but I'm not sure whether it would always remain engaged while shifting around in the waistband on a Clipdraw as I've never personally handled a gun equipped with one.

Edit to my edit: Please revisit this thread after you get your gun back and have carried it for awhile and let us know what you think about it after you've lived with it some.

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 10-10-2012 at 06:27..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16   #43
Ernroe

I shipped the Glock to Rick Devoid of Tarnhelm Supply in NH.
www.tarnhelmsupply.com or Google Rick Devoid.

Thanks for all of the comments and although I may not agree with all of them I think it is good (as Photofellow says) to have the discussion.

Be Good,

Ernie
Ernroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04   #44
fwm

Quote:

Be Good,

Ernie
Do you send your revolvers off for a safety installation?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15   #45
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
What are you talking about? I'm not talking about flying - I'm talking about carrying a gun with no external safeties with a clip draw. Two completely different subjects.
No, both are irrational fears, ignoring the safety records.

External safeties are a false sense of security. The only two people I know of personally that have shot themselves, did so with guns with safeties, and the safeties were in use at the time.

The best 'safety' regardless of carry method is proper gun handling and awareness. Personally I wouldn't trust SD carry to a gun that required a safety to be safe for carry. So I reject completely your view.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32   #46
hamster
NRA Life Member

Safety concerns aside, I really see no reason for the clipdraw. With other options like the vanguard 2, or the ultra-thin kydex offered by FIST holsters for example, I just don't see the point of going with an option that doesn't do as good of a job holding the pistol in place.

As for adding an external safety to the pistol. I absolutely don't get that. If I want a glocklike pistol with a thumb safety there are many choices out there, not the least of which is the M&P series which has optional thumb safeties that closely resemble those on 1911s.

All that said, at the end of the day you need to be comfortable with your decision and nobody else. The more comfortable you are, the more likely you are to carry, and I guess that is the point of it all.

Last edited by hamster; 10-10-2012 at 09:33..
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29   #47
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
Clipdraw is dangerous and anyone who advocates carrying a weapon IWB without covering the trigger is a moron.
I fail to see how a gun with a long pull, 8+ lb, DAO trigger such as a S&W model 442 would be a hazard with a Clipdraw.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32   #48
wjv

Quote:
3. It is inherently not safe because of the lack of external safeties.
Really? Do you have safeties installed on your revolvers also?

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21   #49
4Rules

Quote:

Be Good,

Ernie
No doubt, the Tarnhelm installation of a Cominolli manual safety adds a layer to those built into the Glock's safety suite.

What I don't get is this fixation on using the product known as "Clipdraw" rather than a more conventional holster that does protect the triggerguard. What is the advantage? The manufacturer of the Clipdraw has this warning right on their website:
Quote:
CAUTION

Do not carry the pistol in the ready to fire condition. This is not the recommended safe-carrying method for civilian use. To minimize risk of unintentional discharge, load live ammunition into the pistol only when you are ready to shoot.
* Reprint from the Glock owners manual

http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index....on=show_detail
Why not choose a holster that is designed to protect the trigger from inadvertent activation?
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:02   #50
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post

What I don't get is this fixation on using the product known as "Clipdraw" rather than a more conventional holster that does protect the triggerguard. What is the advantage? The manufacturer of the Clipdraw has this warning right on their website:
Why not choose a holster that is designed to protect the trigger from inadvertent activation?
And that's there because some lawyer told them to put it there. AND as you quoted, it's from the GLOCK users manual. Do you carry a Glock with the chamber empty? Apparently Glock thinks you should. .

Actually it's good advice for the 95+% of the public who go to the range; shoot their Glock; then bring it back home and toss it in a drawer. And that is the group that the warning applies to. It's not for people who carry a gun for defense.

- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 10-10-2012 at 14:03..