SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:07   #26
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcruse View Post
When doing comparisons you need to look at the delay times also. Wireless will generally me around 100ms ping times. Good dsl will be in the 10ms times. For static web download theses will not be noticed as much as in applications where there is a lot of exchanges, such as VPN connections.
Pings on at&t lte are usually in the 50-60ms range. My home DSL gets me 5.5mbs down, .6 up.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by harlenm; 10-03-2012 at 06:09..
harlenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31   #27
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I'm holding onto my unlimited Verizon account until they pry it away from me.
Once you get to 5gb, they'll throttle you down on the unlimited plan. And you'll get there a whole lot faster with LTE.

Lots of video sites will automatically switch you to HD when they detect a LTE device. You'll be chewing through bandwidth faster than you think.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01   #28
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
I just got a 4G phone from Verizon a couple weeks ago. It really doesn't seem any faster than my old 3G phone did.

My home service (verizon fios) is much faster.
I think there may be some confusion on the thread as to what "fast" internet actually means.

When people talk about fast internet, in general they are talking about Bandwidth. Without using a speed test utility and running a few dozen tests, it is really had to determine how much bandwidth your cellular connection has. For example, since I got iOS6 the app-store seems very slow to download things... but that doesn't mean the problem is my new iPhone 5. Unless you regularly download large >100mb files directly to your phone, you are unlikely to feel the difference between say an HSPA+ and an LTE device.

Bandwidth is like Towing Capacity of a truck.

You are more likely to feel the effects of "latency."Latency is like the 0-60 time of the truck.

When you go to a website and it is taking forever to load, your phone appears slow. You could have the world's fastest internet connection and still have a very long latency and/or slow server response from the server you are hitting.

LTE is great, but for the average person a nice low-latency HSPA+ connection will be indistinguishable from a nice low-latency LTE connection.

Back on topic. My home internet is through Time warner. I get 50mbps down and 5 up.

My Verizon LTE seems to top out around 30-35 down and roughly the same up. Since most of my use is downloading, my home internet connection is better. However when I'm on the road, tethering to my LTE hotspot ALWAYS blows away hotel Wifi.

Last edited by hamster; 10-03-2012 at 07:03..
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05   #29
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
Once you get to 5gb, they'll throttle you down on the unlimited plan. And you'll get there a whole lot faster with LTE.

Lots of video sites will automatically switch you to HD when they detect a LTE device. You'll be chewing through bandwidth faster than you think.
I really wish services like Netflix modified their apps to let you set the preference. On my tiny 4 inch screen I really can't tell the difference between SD and HD, no point in wasting bandwidth on an HD stream... I'd like to be able to choose.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18   #30
DreamWeaver88

I think the LTE around here is around the same download I have at home, but the upload is faster.

Honestly, I don't know what I would even use all that speed for on my phone.
DreamWeaver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:47   #31
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post

Verizon doesn't throttle, yet. That is AT&T who throttles at 5GB on LTE. For now at least, Verizon is still truly unlimited.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:13   #32
harlenm

Quote:
Verizon doesn't throttle, yet. That is AT&T who throttles at 5GB on LTE. For now at least, Verizon is still truly unlimited.
I hit 5gb this month, close to 6gb now. I got an email that they will throttle me, but they have yet to do it.

edit, with at&t

Last edited by harlenm; 10-03-2012 at 15:13..
harlenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:22   #33
Kawabuggy

My "4G" with AT&T is slower than a 2400 baud rate dial up connection ANYWHERE & EVERYWHERE.

All the advertising is just LIES. Hell, I have so many dead zones around the city of Houston that I have to tell people in advance that the call will be dropped, but that I will call them back once I move out of that zone.

I am praying that what we are seeing right now in the way of cellular telephones/communications is that the industry is still in it's infancy right now. If it does not start getting better-fewer calls dropped, fewer incomplete calls, loss of service, loss of signal, internet speed so slow that I should just write a letter instead-then we are in a world of trouble.

I'm hoping that within the next 10 years all of these things we experience now and accept as part of the package, will be a thing of the past.

In the interim, let me do my own personal public service announcement-PEOPLE, DO NOT SIGN UP WITH AT&T FOR CELLULAR SERVICE. It's not just a joke, it's a joke on YOU.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44   #34
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I guess I'm still stuck in the stone age. No DSL out here in the sticks but I do get a little bit of 3G (at&t). It's pretty fast considering for years all I had was dial-up. I use my Andriod as a tether and it works great...although at&t caught on and I usually exceed my 5GB limit...ugh since they charge $10 per extra gig.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08   #35
kensb2
pistol n00b

Quote:
Faster than what I pay for? Yes. I pay for 20Mbps but 50Mbps is available but for more than what I want to spend at $85/month.
Consider yourself lucky. I live in semi-rural Apache, OK. We have 2 options: Satellite though DTV (not really an option), and the local phone company's DSL. I pay $60/mo for 6 down, 1 up. The catch is, I have to pay another $35 for a phone line I don't really have to have even though they say it's necessary. I don't even have an actual phone in my house. Since I *have* to have it, I got a basic line, no long distance, no in-home service calls. Still $35 mo. Outrageous, and it sucks that there isn't any competition. I'd kill to have 50, or even 20 M speeds available to me.
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:31   #36
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

The Okie Corral

This is what I'm currently getting using my only internet access: a Verizon wireless device hooked to my computer

Last edited by Clutch Cargo; 10-04-2012 at 17:32..
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:48   #37
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

So if my home internet is 32.6 mbps dl speed and my phone speed is 6875 mbps going through wifi on the same system, what does that even mean with regard to the phone speed?

My phone with wifi turned off I get 1724 kbps

Phone is an HTC Inspire.
Old 10-04-2012, 18:15   #38
Indianashooter

Here's mine: The Okie Corral

ATT DSL
Indianashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:31   #39
ysr_racer

Cox Comm in Orange County, CA

The Okie Corral
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:18   #40
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

My T-1 line is as fast as it's gonna get. I seriously doubt I'll find anything faster.

Last edited by NEOH212; 10-05-2012 at 02:19..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33   #41
brisk21

I pay for 15mb, but its usually 8-10. No big deal. Pleanty fast enough. Im still in 3g, so its definately faster than my Verizon.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote