Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 00:50   #1
BenjiEDF

consensual encounters, investigative detention and arrest

Is this a fairly accurate video? Any comments from public servants on the forum?

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:56   #2
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Yeah, the guy knows what he's talking about. I didn't watch it all the way through, but he sounds right on up through the terry stops and RAS to justify them.

Heck, it is a police training website, so why would you think it'd be wrong? It isn't just some teen ager making a youtube vid.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 10-05-2012 at 02:58..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:04   #3
coqui33
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Heck, it is a police training website, so why would you think it'd be wrong?
I agree about this video and that I agree that LEO training is usually accurate regarding the laws. There are sometimes exceptions, though.

For example, some agencies in jurisdictions where fed appeals courts have ruled that videotaping police is legal (1st amendment) and that arresting someone for doing so violates the 4th, defy the courts and teach officers the opposite (that videotaping police in public is a felony). They do this in order to immunize officers against 42 USC 1983 lawsuit. (The decision in Kelly v. Carlisle, 2010, suggested that incorrect training in the law gave an LEO qualified immunity.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
coqui33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02   #4
molar

Quote:
Originally Posted by coqui33 View Post
I agree about this video and that I agree that LEO training is usually accurate regarding the laws. There are sometimes exceptions, though.

For example, some agencies in jurisdictions where fed appeals courts have ruled that videotaping police is legal (1st amendment) and that arresting someone for doing so violates the 4th, defy the courts and teach officers the opposite (that videotaping police in public is a felony). They do this in order to immunize officers against 42 USC 1983 lawsuit. (The decision in Kelly v. Carlisle, 2010, suggested that incorrect training in the law gave an LEO qualified immunity.)
While the individual officer may have qualified immunity, the individual arrested will obtain a settlement against the municipallity. It makes no sense to train officers to make unlawful arrests.
molar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06   #5
coqui33
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by molar View Post
While the individual officer may have qualified immunity, the individual arrested will obtain a settlement against the municipallity. It makes no sense to train officers to make unlawful arrests.
Whether the municipality is liable depends on other factors. For example, they might provide evidence that they did not order the arrest and in fact discouraged it. If I had a nickel for every agency written policy that flatly contradicts another written policy of the same agency, thus enabling pick-and-choose enforcement, I would have a tall stack of nickels.

As to whether it makes sense or not, this is up to the agencies. The very fact that many do it quite openly suggests that some agencies would disagree with you. See, for example, http://www.pixiq.com/article/florida...gal-guidelines

Here is another example: As of today, about half of the counties in Florida openly defy state pre-emption and prosecute gun-owners based on local ordinances which have been ruled void by the state. In the words of an academy instructor whom I once interviewed, "This is Orlando, not Tallahassee."

I am not saying that it is a common or long-lasting phenomenon. But when there is a mismatch between culture and law, laws are often misstated by police instructors. The problem goes away when popular culture catches up.

Personally, I believe that sometime within the next few years a LEO will be laughed out of federal court when his lawyer argues that he is did not know that videoing police in public was legal. Until then, we are stuck with the mismatch.

[If you are interested, I would be happy to provide examples of similar mismatches throughout U.S. history. FWIW, my favorite examples (on which my dissertation was based) are mismatches about "racial" classification along the Gulf coast in the early 1800s. Anglo legislators declared all African Americans as "Negroes" and thus ineligible to carry weapons, while Creole police instructors distinguished between "Coloured" and "Black" and taught recruits that the former were exempt from anti-Black laws.]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by coqui33; 10-05-2012 at 09:41..
coqui33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:25   #6
SCmasterblaster

It seems accurate to me.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:02   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

I don't like the use of "arrest" and would prefer "in custody", since that's the term courts use for the purposes of Miranda. I can "arrest" someone, that is charge him with a crime and require him to appear in court without ever tripping the Miranda trigger.

But mostly, I'm fine with the video.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:20   #8
BenjiEDF

Thanks guys, it was a really interesting video... just wanted to run it by the forum.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19   #9
SgtScott31

Immunity normally applies to both the government entity and the officer. It's a lot harder than people think to be successful. It's a VERY high standard to prove.

With that said, most agencies may settle for the simple fact it's financially sensible. It will cost far less to pay out a few thousand versus paying for months/years of litigation costs wrapped in a state and/or federal lawsuit.

Good video. He explained it quite well. I saw a couple of officers get pretty rattled during a preliminary hearing when they couldn't articulate the reason they cuffed two suspects when a glock was found in their vehicle (along with a strong odor of weed).

Last edited by SgtScott31; 10-11-2012 at 01:34..
SgtScott31 is online now   Reply With Quote