SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 19:05   #1
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Quirky Military-H​istorical factoids

You might enjoy this from Col D. G. Swinford, USMC, Ret and history buff. You would really have to dig deep to get this kind of ringside seat to history:

1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed by the Japanese ( China , 1937), the first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians ( Finland 1940); highest ranking American killed was Lt Gen Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps. So much for allies.
2. The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. His benefits were later restored by act of Congress.
3. At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top US Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced 'sink us'), the shoulder patch of the US Army's 45th Infantry division was the Swastika, and Hitler's private train was named 'Amerika.' All three were soon changed for PR purposes.
4. More US servicemen died in the Air Corps than the Marine Corps. While completing the required 30 missions, your chance of being killed was 71%.
5. Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an average fighter pilot. You were either an ace or a target. For instance, Japanese Ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes. He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.
6. It was a common practice on fighter planes to load every 5 th round with a tracer round to aid in aiming. This was a mistake. Tracers had different ballistics so (at long range) if your tracers were hitting the target 80% of your rounds were missing. Worse yet tracers instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from which direction. Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of tracers at the end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This was definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy. Units that stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double and their loss rate go down.

YOU'VE GOT TO LOVE THIS ONE........

7. When allied armies reached the Rhine, the first thing men did was pee in it. This was pretty universal from the lowest private to Winston Churchill (who made a big show of it) and Gen. Patton (who had himself photographed in the act).
8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City, but they decided it wasn't worth the effort.
9. German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.
10. Among the first 'Germans' captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were captured by the US Army.
AND I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST....

11. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 United States and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands . 21 troops were killed in the assault on the island. It could have been worse if there had been any Japanese on the island. AND - HITLER & BINLADEN DIED ON THE SAME DAY, May 1.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:34   #2
CombatCamera

Cool facts

"why would anyone need an assault rifle that could shoot a hundred guns in one minute"
CombatCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:12   #3
GlocknSpiehl
NRA Life Member

SIde fact I read too: gunners for bombers were heavily recruited from recruits who had experience in hunting birds with shotguns. Seems they needed very little training in how to lead a target.
Old 10-04-2012, 20:17   #4
Ragnar

Yes, cool facts, except that several are wrong.

3. The 45th Infantry's patch was changed from the swastika in 1939. At the time of Pearl Harbor the Thunderbird patch had been worn for nearly 2 years.

http://www.45thdivisionmuseum.com/Hi...underbird.html

11. Hitler died on 30 April. OBL on 2 May.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:44   #5
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Adolf Hitler had a Cousin who served in the US Navy during WWII as a Pharmacist's mate.
Old 10-04-2012, 22:02   #6
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

The german bombers that could reach the US probably couldnt have made it back.
Old 10-04-2012, 22:15   #7
50 Cent

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Dunno - design range was 9500 miles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me-264

Although I seem to recall some goofball plan about a one-way trip to NYC with U-Boats doing Lifeguard Duty. Don't think it was seriously considered.
Old 10-04-2012, 22:22   #8
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
wouldn't have mattered , its like the Doolittle Raid. It doesn't matter if you didn't destroy anything of value, but the psychological victory of a American city coming under attack would have diverted men and material from the front
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:01   #9
devildog2067

So when I saw this thread, I thought to myself: I think I saw this on GT before, and I think I remember posting a fact-checking-type reply to this chain email. I wonder if I can find that response, it'll save me the trouble of typing it up again.

So I googled a bit, and found the old thread. It's the same chain email, and it was posted by the same guy.

Dude, you posted this thread before.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399081

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 Originally posted on 2/2/2012 View Post
Interesting WW II Trivia:

You might enjoy this from Col D. G. Swinford, USMC, Ret and history buff. You would really have to dig deep to get this kind of ringside seat to history:

1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed by the Japanese ( China , 1937), the first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians (Finland 1940); highest ranking American killed was Lt Gen Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps. So much for allies and “friendly fire”.
And in THAT thread, someone pointed out that many of these are inaccurate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 View Post
A few problems.
1. Lesley McNair was the same rank as Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr. when they were killed. Buckner was killed by shrapnel from a Japanese artillery round.

3. The 45th division changed its patch in 39.

6. No tracers was a personal preference. Some had better luck with no tracers, others didn't. Anyway, long range shooting when the ballistic differences mattered was a waste of ammo anyway.

8. Not worth the effort? in 44 fighters were needed more than bombers. And it had some serious flaws that made it not real workable as an operational aircraft.

Those are just off the top of my head. As usual, a grain of truth mixed with BS

Last edited by devildog2067; 10-04-2012 at 23:02..
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote