Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 19:17   #1
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Anyone up with Indiana laws? Just got this memo...

Memo at the campus where I teach says:

"Employees are prohibited from ―reporting to work or representing the College while possessing firearms or other dangerous devices. In addition, ―employees are prohibited from making statements or taking actions that are potentially offensive and embarrassing to other employees, students or visitors of the college. Employees who―threaten ongoing college operations, the health and safety of others or themselves, can be accused of gross misconduct.
Violation of these policies can result in a disciplinary action up to and including dismissal from the college (if a student) or termination of employment (if an employee).
As of July 1, 2010, it is illegal to have a gun or ammunition on postsecondary institution property, either in a vehicle or in a person’s possession. "

End quote

Now I knew guns aren't allowed on campus, but we have been told by security (our security are sworn LEO's) that if we have a gun, we can either check it with them, or leave it in our locked car. I have a safe in my car. So this statement I just got today goes completely against what I was told by our security (who happen to be local police). Anyone hear of any law changes two years ago? I'm thinking this statement is wrong, but now need to jump into research mode. Thought I'd post here first, due to the large number of people with knowledge about this stuff...

Thanks! Now off to research it....(like do they have it backwards, and can't prohibit us from keeping it in our cars?)

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 10-04-2012 at 20:06..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:24   #2
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Whoever (whomever?) wrote it, said "....can be accused of gross misconduct."

is apparently a dufus.

You can be accused of anything anytime. Be forewarned.

If enough people question their interpretation they will back off and refer to the rules as written.

I have done this several times with superiors that wanted to slip in their own rules by way of interpretation.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:28   #3
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Mini-research done: looked at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

(always a great reference)

And it looks like the post-secondary institution CAN ban guns from property even in our cars, but that wouldn't make it illegal (like the memo says). I'm thinking the memo is BS.

It is basically a case of "don't ask, don't tell." Which is fine, but I was just kind of shocked to suddenly be told by the administration that it is ILLEGAL.

I'm thinking they're wrong, but any insight would be highly appreciated...Thanks...
Old 10-04-2012, 19:33   #4
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Think of it this way ... they will stop your pay while they try anything they can, if you get caught with any firearm violation of their policy.

The checkbook is always king.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:04   #5
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
Think of it this way ...
The checkbook is always king.
And, performance appraisals would suffer badly for not abiding by the 'no guns on campus' policy. Kiss future opportunities goodby with that mark on your record.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:04   #6
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

But I think they have it wrong. They can make policy against it, but it isn't illegal. Big difference. I think I'm going to send it in to the person who deals with "trouble" on campus. She's not security, more of a counselor type, but we really can't have the campus report saying it is illegal to have guns in our cars when it isn't illegal....

Or maybe I should just shut up and not hit send...hmmmm
Old 10-04-2012, 20:24   #7
AtlantaR6

Good advice, shut up and do what you want. You're not going to change the rule and will only be hurting yourself.
AtlantaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:09   #8
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Well, I did email the person in charge, she's checking with higher-ups for clarification.

Her first email back to me said she didn't know and couldn't cite any law. Second email said she thinks it is a state law.

Total joke. The law that was passed on the date cited in the report is meant to give gun owners more rights, not less.

It is true that I should probably just keep my mouth shut, but I don't like seeing in writing that something is illegal when it IS NOT. Especially when it relates to my rights.

P.S. the person I'm dealing with is a good person, and I didn't implicate myself in my email, I just brought it up as a possible "mistake" in the report. I did point out that many faculty and staff are legal gun owners, so a clarification of policy would be useful.
Old 10-05-2012, 16:40   #9
Gary Slider

The Parking Lot Storage Law states that Colleges and Universities can ban the possession of firearms on their property and their parking lots under the parking lot storage law. Part of law below. You can go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf and scroll down to the Parking Lot Storage Section and read the whole law.

What the School is stating is that employees, students or contractors at the school can not have firearms in the vehicles on school property. They are not breaking a law but a policy of the school and can be disciplined. That could be a student being expelled or a worker being fired. But you are not breaking a law.

IC 34-28-7 Possession of Firearms and Ammunition in Locked Vehicles

(b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
(1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
(2) on the property of:
(A) a child caring institution;
(B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
(C) a private secure facility;
(D) a group home;
(E) an emergency shelter care group home; or
(F) a child care center in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC
2-12-78, 465 IAC 2-13-77, or 470 IAC 3-4.7-19;
(3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
(4) in violation of federal law;
(5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC
21-7-13-6(b));
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 18:35   #10
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
But I think they have it wrong. They can make policy against it, but it isn't illegal. Big difference. I think I'm going to send it in to the person who deals with "trouble" on campus. She's not security, more of a counselor type, but we really can't have the campus report saying it is illegal to have guns in our cars when it isn't illegal....

Or maybe I should just shut up and not hit send...hmmmm
If you DO decide to send an email, just make sure its anonymous!!!

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:47   #11
LApm9

Start filing complaints on everyone you observe leaving the rest room without washing their hands with soap for a full two minutes. Their doing so would threaten "the health and safety of others or themselves".

So would eating a Twinkie!!!

Get busy improving the world!
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:21   #12
pokersamurai

I'm from Indiana and just recently graduated from a university with the same policy. I still carried a gun on campus every day. It's not illegal, they can kick you out of school (or in your case fire you) if you get caught. However, if you keep your gun concealed at all times and don't ever tell anyone you are carrying there is nothing the school can do about it.