Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:00   #21
VN350X10

Raytech has motors built for them, & they are NOT friendly to deal with on the consumer level. They actually built the Lyman 2500 & 3200 series tumblers.
I have a 3200 that is currently setting, dead, as neither Raytech or Lyman has any interest in supplying a replacement motor.
Dillon isn't real good about it either, I have one of their older large (forget the model#) tumblers not running. They've changed suppliers over the years.
The main problem, is the fact that a motor made for a vibratory application is FAR different in bearings & construction, than a normal duty motor.
This I can state for FACT, as I work for the largest mfg'r. of vibratory equipment in the world....

www.generalkinematics.com

While we build very large equipment, the theory is the same, & "normal" motors just don't cut it!
Everything we build has custom motors, to our own specs, to live in the applications .

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,

Last edited by VN350X10; 10-04-2012 at 12:01..
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41   #22
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
I'm with Bob!

(A vibrator is quieter, too)
I have owned both.

The vibratory cleaner failed and came close to starting a fire.

I bought a Thumbler with thermal protection on the motor.

The thumbler is (much) slower to clean to the same level, I just have it on a 6 hour timer. It gives the option for wet or dry. The rotary thumbler is a lot, not just a little, but a lot, quieter than a vibratory cleaner. It is less convenient to open (six wingnuts instead of one).

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 10-04-2012 at 12:42..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:15   #23
JBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavallee View Post
After having the stainless media and thumblers tumbler, nothing else is close. Sure you need to de-prime before but drying is no big deal and the quality is amazing with clean primer pockets and brass.

I guess for the guys that reload really high volume it may not be their cup of tea but the difference in the brass is night and day compared to vibratory or ultrasonic. Do you need that? Well, I love sparkling brass.
Concur with same outstanding results (stainless media and Thumblers Tumbler). My very old metal base RCBS Mega Tumbler (Vibratory ) and my Thumblerís Tumbler (Vibratory ) have been relegated to super polishing duty with flitz and corn cob now when I just have to have mirror polished cases.
Replacement motors from Thumblerís can easily be adapted to salvage burned out tumblers of other brands.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:10   #24
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavallee View Post
After having the stainless media and thumblers tumbler, nothing else is close. Sure you need to de-prime before but drying is no big deal and the quality is amazing with clean primer pockets and brass.

I guess for the guys that reload really high volume it may not be their cup of tea but the difference in the brass is night and day compared to vibratory or ultrasonic. Do you need that? Well, I love sparkling brass.
What's your method for drying the brass, and what do you do with the lead contaminated wash water?
Old 10-05-2012, 00:16   #25
jlavallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
What's your method for drying the brass, and what do you do with the lead contaminated wash water?
Dirty water into the toilet. To dry after I seperate the media from the brass I put a couple of small pieces of rag into the seperator basket and spin. I then remove the damp rag pieces and put a couple of dry ones in and spin again. Then I just dump them on a tray and reload later after they've air dried to ensure there are no droplets inside, I re-use the rag pieces. I know some guys put the brass in the oven and stuff but mine is virtually dry when I dump it out and any droplet inside will air dry here in NV in a day or so.

Track bills in Congress and tell politicians your opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59   #26
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
Raytech has motors built for them, & they are NOT friendly to deal with on the consumer level. They actually built the Lyman 2500 & 3200 series tumblers.
I have a 3200 that is currently setting, dead, as neither Raytech or Lyman has any interest in supplying a replacement motor.
Dillon isn't real good about it either, I have one of their older large (forget the model#) tumblers not running. They've changed suppliers over the years.

uncle albert
Dillon will replace the motor but by the time you buy the replacement motor and ship the tumbler back to Dillon it is almost the cost of just buying a new tumbler.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:03   #27
VN350X10

Last time I called Dillon about it, they said that there were no replacement motors avaliable for the model I have.

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 21:42   #28
G31

I have a Lyman Autoflo 2200 that has been wonderful the past 10 years. I vote vibratory cleaner all the way...no mess or fuss, unless you spill the bowl, or leave it unattended while emptying.

Proudly shooting guns in: .40 S&W, 9mm x 19, .38 Spl, 357 SIG, .45 Auto, 10mm, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and 12 Ga.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:37   #29
Fwdftw

I prefer a 8inch....oh nvm. I use a lyman Tumbler...havent had any issues and gets my cases clean enough with some lizard bedding and a cap of Nu Finish!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote