Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 16:42   #26
Gray_Rider

Used a saddle on my Winchester Defender, but with my Stoeger Coach its a butt cuff that works quite nicely......Extra ammo with any shottie is essential. But with a double, you better have it, and know how to reload on the fly! I know, pumps are faster, but they are also longer and heavier. My Coach is handy in close, light, and packs two sure quick shots. Four inches longer than the "sawed off" pumps that take all the federal paperwork and six months wait. Just not as much ammo handy should a situation like "No Country for Old Men" presents itself....

Yours in the Cause,

Gray_Rider
Old 10-02-2012, 16:54   #27
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Had a Tacstar at one point.

These days, better quality exists, I'd go with a Mesa or a Vang Comp (velcro) model.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 10-02-2012, 18:10   #28
757CC

Mesa tactical all the way!
Old 10-02-2012, 20:09   #29
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757CC View Post
Mesa tactical all the way!
I second this.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Old 10-03-2012, 17:02   #30
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

I have a neoprene sleeve on the buttstock of my Mossberg 500 and a sidesaddle. I replaced the synthetic stock with a wood one. The added weight of 9 shells plus the woodstock makes the gun very easy on the shoulder. I have 6 - 00 buck shells in the gun, 5 - 00 buck shells in the buttstock holder, and 4 - 2 3/4" s in the sidesaddle. Overkill for most but again I appreciate the weight of the gun most.
Old 10-04-2012, 15:50   #31
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockGlock23 View Post
I have a neoprene sleeve on the buttstock of my Mossberg 500 and a sidesaddle. I replaced the synthetic stock with a wood one. The added weight of 9 shells plus the woodstock makes the gun very easy on the shoulder. I have 6 - 00 buck shells in the gun, 5 - 00 buck shells in the buttstock holder, and 4 - 2 3/4" s in the sidesaddle. Overkill for most but again I appreciate the weight of the gun most.
I used to have my Mossberg 500 setup the same way. Minus the wood stock. Mine has the OEM synthetic furniture.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18   #32
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDelta127 View Post
I've been looking to buy a side saddle for my Mossberg 500. I like the idea of the 5 other shells being readily accessible on the gun.

BUT! I'm wondering, is it worth it? I know there pretty in expensive, but still, I don't like putting stuff on my gun for the "tacticool" feel.

Anyways, are they worth it? And if so, show me some of your guys set ups.
i would go with velcro cards instead. once a side saddle is empty you have to manually refill it. with the cards you rip off the empty one and slap a fresh one on.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm
Old 10-17-2012, 20:56   #33
bsg1

i prefer to keep my defensive shotguns as light as possible, and simply don't like the side saddle setup. i have a Wilson +2 mag extension on my 870P for added rounds. i do have several shotshell belt holders (Bruce Nelson Combat Leather, G. Wm. Davis) that i have high regard for.
Old 10-21-2012, 19:42   #34
PAGunner

I too have a mossberg 500, side saddle cost 30 bucks if that, installed in about 10 minutes.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:40   #35
Line Rider

ditto +1 Mesa Tactical

CharlieDelta127 check your IM

Last edited by Line Rider; 10-22-2012 at 05:43..
Old 10-27-2012, 08:37   #36
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I may have to, or want to, grasp the gun at the receiver and the sidesaddles are generally in the way. I don't grab a long gun at the fattest part of the stock (where a cuff sits)

It also doesn't take much for me to visualize a side saddle causing a problem in, a doorway for instance, unless a little extra thought (at zero-dark-thirty) is exercised.
What would you gain by grabbing a shotgun by the receiver?

What problem do you see a side saddle causing in a doorway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1 View Post
i prefer to keep my defensive shotguns as light as possible, and simply don't like the side saddle setup. i have a Wilson +2 mag extension on my 870P for added rounds. i do have several shotshell belt holders (Bruce Nelson Combat Leather, G. Wm. Davis) that i have high regard for.
Do you plan on sleeping in the belt or putting it on real fast if needed?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58   #37
4Rules

Another option:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/modu...shell-carriers
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41   #38
dakrat

I have the Mesa 6 rounder on my Moss 500. its well made and very solid.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22   #39
tenntornado

These are nice also.
http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/prod...HSG-SST&cat=42
If you want to use a hard mounted sidesaddle,
GG&G has a very high quality version available for most guns.
http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-59...ll-holder.html

Last edited by tenntornado; 10-27-2012 at 11:30..
Old 10-27-2012, 23:36   #40
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntornado View Post
These are nice also.
http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/prod...HSG-SST&cat=42
If you want to use a hard mounted sidesaddle,
GG&G has a very high quality version available for most guns.
http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-59...ll-holder.html
Hsgi makes great stuff. I have their plate carrier, double decker tacos and med pouch

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 10-28-2012, 01:04   #41
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What would you gain by grabbing a shotgun by the receiver?

What problem do you see a side saddle causing in a doorway?

Do you plan on sleeping in the belt or putting it on real fast if needed?
1. The way life throws curveballs I like the ability to grab onto whatever I may have to in order to retain the weapon or grab it to put it into play..

2. Going through doorway you increase the bulk of the weapon and if the doorway is being used in the barricade position I can see interference happening. I had sidesaddle for a short period and tried various scenarios and it didn't work for me. The first time it snagged on me during a dry practice I desided that at zero-dark-thirty it was one extra thing to be conscious of I didn't need.

I have 5 spares on a buttcuff and that is generally covered by my strong side arm so it isn't in the way. I aso carry the spare ammo for my hunting rifles the same way so I am used to that location, not so much the sidesaddle.

I like to plan for something to happen that I didn't plan for, so I don't like limiting my options to employ a weapon when I can meet the objective in a less limiting way. The buttcuff does that.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15   #42
TK-421

I don't see how a saddle would be an issue at oh dark thirty. The only reason you should grab a shotgun when something goes bump in the night, is if you want to hunker down and defend a position, at which point the side saddle wouldn't get in the way. You should only clear a house with a shotgun if you have extensive training on how to properly and safely do so, but most people don't have that training, so they shouldn't be grabbing a shotgun to see what went bump.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:45   #43
mjkeat

Countrygun, something is amiss. Maybe a defensive shotgun class is in order.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49   #44
countrygun

Quote:
Countrygun, something is amiss. Maybe a defensive shotgun class is in order.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Uhm. no, it isn't.

I have a different preference. Maybe you should examine why you can't accept that.
Old 10-28-2012, 14:27   #45
mjkeat

doubled up

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-28-2012 at 14:28..
Old 10-28-2012, 14:28   #46
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Uhm. no, it isn't.

I have a different preference. Maybe you should examine why you can't accept that.
If I can't seem to make something work that is working and has worked for others for quite some time I begin to wonder if it's just me. 100% of the time it is me. It's frustrating but I don't take it personal. It doesn't mean I'm somehow incompetent. I just have to try harder as I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Just like grabbing a long gun by the receiver Why? Just so you'll have to take more time to readjust your grip? It's slow and inefficient. Wasted movement. Things formal instruction would teach us.
Old 10-28-2012, 14:50   #47
countrygun

Quote:
If I can't seem to make something work that is working and has worked for others for quite some time I begin to wonder if it's just me. 100% of the time it is me. It's frustrating but I don't take it personal. It doesn't mean I'm somehow incompetent. I just have to try harder as I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Just like grabbing a long gun by the receiver Why? Just so you'll have to take more time to readjust your grip? It's slow and inefficient. Wasted movement. Things formal instruction would teach us.
My shotgun sits next to my bed. I am not using it as a part of a "combat/tactical" operation. I may have to grab it from a disadvantaged position. I like options.

I got my first "Formal Instruction" in 1980, ancient history to be sure, but nonetheless it has worked well.

You are carrying a chip on your shoulder obviously. I never said your way was wrong, it just isn't for me. I never said you were incompetent but you seem to think ANY way of doing things that isn't the way you do it is somehow an assault upon your competence.

You might be well trained inside your small box, but there is a big world out there and other people make their choices based on their needs and circumstances and their training, all of them are not doing it to prove you wrong so don't take it personally. It sounds like insecurity when you take someone doing something differently as a direct personal insult. I don't care how you carry your spares. nor do I care if you part your hair on the left or the right or not at all.

This pendantic, and IMO juvenile, preoccupation in the shooting world with finding the "perfect way" and then prostylitizing it, considering non-believers to be "heretics", and different methods to be a challenge to the "true path" is ridiculous and not all that mentally healthy.

Some people like 1911's, some Glocks, some revolvers, some like the .45 some the 9mm,some the .357, some like side saddles and some like butt cuffs, get over it.
Old 10-28-2012, 16:04   #48
mjkeat

Anytime a firearm is deployed in the manner which firearms were created (defensively/offensively) it is combat/tactical. There's no way around it.

You're not grasping what I'm saying. It's not about "my way" because It's not my way. Someone thought of these things long before I was shooting.

My little story was an attempt to get the information across w/o starting an argument. I guess it didn't work.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's not worth the time or effort to explain things as you're obviously stuck in your ways.

You should PM me about this big world you talk about
Old 10-28-2012, 17:10   #49
countrygun

Quote:
Anytime a firearm is deployed in the manner which firearms were created (defensively/offensively) it is combat/tactical. There's no way around it.

You're not grasping what I'm saying. It's not about "my way" because It's not my way. Someone thought of these things long before I was shooting.

My little story was an attempt to get the information across w/o starting an argument. I guess it didn't work.

Keep doing what you're doing. It's not worth the time or effort to explain things as you're obviously stuck in your ways.

You should PM me about this big world you talk about
You just don't have respect for something not done you way or for someone else's decisions.

Yes, I must be some find of old fud because, for instance, I got rid of my AR because I preferred the older AK format, (and the Garand-based systems) here is an example of my sticking to "my" ways.

Tactical Shotguns

You will note if you can see it, the AK has a folding stock, laser, light, and red dot. That fits into my "TACTICS" with that gun. A butt cuff fits into my TACTICS with a shotgun.

I don't make the mistake of thinking my way is the way everyone should do things. My shotgun is for covering my bedroom door and a hallway. I have other guns for other jobs.
Old 10-28-2012, 18:01   #50
mjkeat

Guy, read/comprehend. It's not about "my way." I didn't invent a thing. The phrase "stuck in your ways" makes no reference to age.

Let us not read into it to far or take things too personally.

Don't close yourself off to improvement.
Closed Thread